Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 JVR at Centre

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 07/12/2012 : 08:43:02
From several good sources and from the official Leafs report out of camp, the idea is that they will try James VanRiemsdyk at centre.

How do you think this will pan out?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mandree888 Posted - 07/14/2012 : 07:12:03
i am of the opinion of lets wait and see. they guy played centre is entire career up until the pros. if he can step back into and be effective then awesome. i would say continue tio play him there until the end of the preseason and then make up your mind.
n/a Posted - 07/13/2012 : 07:01:37
Heck, who knows guys . . . it could all be a beautiful smokescreen for that huge trade for a #1 C Burke has cooking on the BBQ.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Myself, I think it goes as far as a couple of weeks into the season at best, or it's thrown away after a few games in the preseason.

Seems like a hair-brained idea, and it doesn't inspire a lick of confidence.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest8384 Posted - 07/13/2012 : 03:24:19
If it doesn't work at Center they could always try him as a goalie or GM.
@valanche Posted - 07/12/2012 : 19:41:59
It's seems a little bit like a temporary plug for that hole Toronto has had down the middle for a couple years now. I see jvr more as a second line winger than a first line center but that's just me. I also don't agree on having a winger play center even if he has I junior... It works moving a center to wing not the other way around. But, who knows maybe he finds chemistry with lupul and kessel and they form a pretty deadly first line attack.

66 is > than 99
nuxfan Posted - 07/12/2012 : 16:05:32
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

while centres will often make the switch to winger, I don't recall too many wingers that successfully made full-time switches to centre at the NHL level - never mind as a #1 centre. No doubt Burke is eyeing that big body and thinking it might work, but from what I read his faceoff ability is non-existent, and I don't know how defensively responsible he is.

Worth a try, but I hope Burke has a plan B.

truthfully i think this is plan B. the media in Toronto are the ones making it sound like it's plan A. Carlyle simply suggested it. and like everything else that has to do with the Leafs, the media turned it into a bigger story then it actually should be.

oh. In that case, I hope Burke has a plan C.
The_Gipper Posted - 07/12/2012 : 13:03:59
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

while centres will often make the switch to winger, I don't recall too many wingers that successfully made full-time switches to centre at the NHL level - never mind as a #1 centre. No doubt Burke is eyeing that big body and thinking it might work, but from what I read his faceoff ability is non-existent, and I don't know how defensively responsible he is.

truthfully i think this is plan B. the media in Toronto are the ones making it sound like it's plan A. Carlyle simply suggested it. and like everything else that has to do with the Leafs, the media turned it into a bigger story then it actually should be.
nuxfan Posted - 07/12/2012 : 11:05:30

The_Gipper Posted - 07/12/2012 : 10:10:55
i think it's a good idea to try it in camp and during pre-season. i mean why the heck not?!
but personally i don't think it will stick. he'll play the wing on the 2nd line with Grabo at centre, with the chance of moving up to the 1st line depending on whether Lupul can continue his success from last season, and stay healthy.
Alex116 Posted - 07/12/2012 : 10:00:44
I picked the same thing. As far as faceoffs go though, wouldn't that be one of the easier things to work on in an attempt to improve? If this kid is driven as is being said, then surely a coach and a player or two could stick around for a half hour after practice to take some extra face offs? I'm sure there's some natural ability involved including hand / eye co-ordination and anticipation, but if you do something enough times, you should def get better at it.
Beans15 Posted - 07/12/2012 : 09:19:06
I like the choice of no effin idea. He has played some centre in college but who knows if that translates to the pros. One thing I was impressed with was that he apparently asked Carlyle for video show what he expects from a centre. The kid seems driven to succeed. Not too sure if he will fit in with that attitude in Toronto.

I think likely the closest choice of my opinion is the poor faceoff piece. It seems that is the area that most centres struggle the most when transitioning from juniors to the pros.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page