Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Best Contract in the NHL?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 05:39:30
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403044

The habs just signed Max Pacioretty to a 6 year 27 million $ an average of 4.5 mil a season, could this be the best contract in the last 5 years? Even if next season his numbers drop from 60 points to around 45 the contract is still decent, but if he continues to progress as most 23 year old players do he will be an absolute steal for the next 7 years, even if he remains consitent as a 30 30 player he will be an absolute steal at 4.5 million.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/21/2012 : 16:00:51
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Don Cherry by far. Antagonistic, racist, well past his prime. Constantly criticized, out of shape physically/mentally for todays game and loved and hated by all fans. Still able to pull in 7 figures a year plus endorsements while being told by half of the hockey and public fan base he is to old and past his prime.

I think that makes him one of the worst contracts in the NHL, not the best

Im thinking in my attempt to be funny and different i was looking from Don Cherry's perspective
Alex116 Posted - 08/20/2012 : 13:07:26
Here's an article, which includes a few mentioned here, that talks about "bang for buck" as far as contracts and production go......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1289093-nhls-17-best-player-performances-for-the-money-they-earn
nuxfan Posted - 08/18/2012 : 16:07:06
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Don Cherry by far. Antagonistic, racist, well past his prime. Constantly criticized, out of shape physically/mentally for todays game and loved and hated by all fans. Still able to pull in 7 figures a year plus endorsements while being told by half of the hockey and public fan base he is to old and past his prime.

I think that makes him one of the worst contracts in the NHL, not the best
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/17/2012 : 13:47:19
Guest4096 Posted - 08/15/2012 : 06:35:36
Perry and Getzlaf regressed last year but at around $5M that ain't bad at all.

Same can be said for Teemu.

Marty St-Louis value for production isn't too shabby either.
Beans15 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 22:06:32
Cap geek has a Bargin Hunter search under the player menu that tells a very interesting story. However it looks at last years deals, not any new deals. Slozo hit the nail on the head with Giroux. Another on the list is James Neal. A 40 goal/80 pts season last year and his new deal is $5 million per season. That's pretty awesome considering that most of the 40 goal guys in the league are more than $7 million.

Another not discussed in Filppula in Detroit. 66 pts last season and a $3 million cap hit for the next few seasons. Teddy Purcell was also an 60+ pt guy and he's $2.6 for the next three years.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
nuxfan Posted - 08/14/2012 : 21:36:51
I had assumed that EL deals were exempt from this question, as they are artificially capped. You can't compare that to a freely negotiated deal.
Guest4315 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 12:55:57
Last year I would of said Jamie Benn ($821,667) or Jordan Eberle ($1,158,333). According to Capgeek. Benn had 26goals\37assists\63points in 71 games while Eberle had 34\42\76 in 78 games and was in the running for the 'Lady Byng trophy'. Both made the All-star team.
However this coming year I will say Ebs takes it as he has one more year left on contract. Benn's contract expired and he is now RFA he has yet to resign.
Also both these guys are/were on entry level contracts if that counts towards your question.
Pasty7 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 11:57:26
Considering the contracts over the past few years and the relative high upside to Pacioretty I think this is a very very good contract, Pacioretty is a former first round pick and he was on pace for very good point totals 2 seasons ago when his season was ended due to injury, and I think last year he showed their were no ill effects from the injury, even if he has no progression and remains a 30 30 player this contract is great.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
nuxfan Posted - 08/14/2012 : 09:20:45
Burrows contract is truly amazing, but it was signed 3 years ago, under different circumstances and with a different player/team background. That being said, I would venture that Burrows contract is probably the best team-friendly contract currently valid in the NHL today - 2M a year for a perennial 30 goal scoring top 2-way forward? I'll take that. There is already talk in Vancouver that they may not be able to afford him when it expires after next season, that he might command 4-5M over 5 years with his next deal.

Props to the Giroux deal as well.

However, I think the Pacioretty deal would rank up there with one of the best contracts signed in the last 12 or 24 months. 4.5M is very good value for someone like him even at today's production, given the current contract climate in the NHL. The fact that they have him locked up for 6 years at that amount very good. Barring a complete production meltdown, he'll be well worth that deal.
n/a Posted - 08/14/2012 : 07:46:43
It's a good contract, but far from the best (from a GM's standpoint, obviously). Clearly the increased possibility of re-injury after he got mashed by Chara is in the background here . . . it has to be considered to be at least a bit more risky that your average 23 year old.

I like the Burrows example, blows Pacioretty out of the water.

Obviously disregarding entry level contracts for star players . . . I'll trump your Burrows with a Claude Giroux.

MVP candidate, hugely talented with sky as the limit, all-heart, and he makes 3.75 mil a year (his cap hit). Boo-yah.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest2458 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 07:19:17
It s a good signing but if you average his contract with Gomez's it is still well under value for what your getting.
Guest6841 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 06:02:12
Alex Burrows. 2 mil a year. 28 35 26 and 28 goals the past 4 years. The line mates help a ton but at that price one of the best deals by far.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page