Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Crosby has the right idea.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 09/23/2007 : 07:41:21
It's good to see Crosby's focus is on the right thing. Doing what it takes to help the team win. Not concerned about his point totals. Fantastic!
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=337605&page=NewsPage&service=page

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 18:45:28
I hear what you are saying Willus, but you serious see Crosby winning against all odds like Lemieux did with the Pens or Gretzky did, specifically with the Kings? I just don't see that part of the game. In a tie game, 2 minutes left, Crosby is on the ice because he is one of the best of the best, but do you see that drive to win at all costs and more importantly the success?? And I'm not talking about a shoot out goal.

Lemieux was doing that at 20. Seriously, look at the Pitt line up in 85 and tell me if that team should win 34 games. Not a chance!!!

Maybe I haven't watched enough Pitt games, but I have yet to see a game where the Pens are playing like crap and Crosby wills the win pretty much on his own. Until I see that, I can't put him in the cream of the crop.

And finally, Fly, I remember a guy who didn't skate all the well, didn't really have a good shot, wasn't very big, and wasn't very fast, but was still a pretty good player. What was his name again..........................................It ryhmes Pain Jetski???

Uh, I'm sure it will come to me.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 10/15/2007 : 17:22:02
After the eras of Gretz and Lemieux, there was a lot of anticipation as to who would be "The Next One". Lindros and Daigle both got that tag. Even Patrik Stefan was touted to be the next big one. Sid is undoubtedly the closest we have come to realizing "The Next One". He will develop into a great captain, and a Hall of Famer. What pressure he must be enduring, though! Just enjoy watching the Kid grow, and don't worry about the past.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 10/15/2007 : 16:50:30
If I had to rank Sid, I actually think he is (at least right now) somewhere between the immortals (like Gretzky and Lemieux) and the legendary superstars (Sakic, Yzerman, Messier). In Gretz's or Lemieux's era, I think you would see him challenging the 175-190 point range. I think he'll probably get in the 130-150 range in his best years nowadays.

With that said, one thing does worry me about his game that no one (aside from myself) has seemed to notice: he does not have a good shot. He does on occasion score highlight-reel goals, but they are almost never because of a blistering shot to the top corner.

Watch him in close. His accuracy is lacking, and his shot is light. It's why he passes when maybe he shouldn't sometimes.

I think he has Gretzky/Lemieux instincts, but he will never score more than 45 goals if he can't find a way to shoot the puck harder and with greater accuracy. He gets in the 35-40 goal range now simply because he either puts himself in the right spot (anticipation like Gretz), or because he can dangle through everyone with skill and speed speed (like Mario used to do back in the day).

He is (and will be) the best hockey player of the next ten or so years, though. No doubt in my mind.
willus3 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 16:40:21
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Just to throw this out there, maybe start a debate.

I think Crosby is a great player. I think he is close to, if not the best offensive player in the league today. I think the Kid has his head on straight and has his priorities in order.

That being said, I can't seem to bring myself to say that he's in the same class as the best of all time. I watched Gretzky and the Oil play in the 80's, I saw Lemieux in his prime. I saw the sick Sakic/Forsberg combo through the late 90's. I saw highlights of Lefluer, Orr, Esposito, and the likes.

The thing is, I don't see Crosby totally dominate games like those guys did. I see his skills and I think he is a special player. He just doesn't have that magic like Lemiuex or Gretzky. For that matter, Forsburg in his prime could not be stopped. Crosby just doesn't have that same completely dominate the game, take the whole team on his back and win that these other players did.

Am I alone on this??

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.

Yes I believe you are alone.
It's easy to forget that Crosby is only 20. He bested EVERYONE in the league last year offensively at 19. You have to be very special to do something like that. Who else has ever done it?

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Beans15 Posted - 10/15/2007 : 15:43:55
Just to throw this out there, maybe start a debate.

I think Crosby is a great player. I think he is close to, if not the best offensive player in the league today. I think the Kid has his head on straight and has his priorities in order.

That being said, I can't seem to bring myself to say that he's in the same class as the best of all time. I watched Gretzky and the Oil play in the 80's, I saw Lemieux in his prime. I saw the sick Sakic/Forsberg combo through the late 90's. I saw highlights of Lefluer, Orr, Esposito, and the likes.

The thing is, I don't see Crosby totally dominate games like those guys did. I see his skills and I think he is a special player. He just doesn't have that magic like Lemiuex or Gretzky. For that matter, Forsburg in his prime could not be stopped. Crosby just doesn't have that same completely dominate the game, take the whole team on his back and win that these other players did.

Am I alone on this??

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page