Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Ottawa
 Erik Karlsson, how the #@*%! are you back?!!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/30/2013 : 06:55:01
Simple question,
How in the Holy World of Hockey is Erik Karlsson back playing with the Ottawa Senators, 10 weeks after an achilles heel tendon tear that should have ended his season, and perhaps career?

See this article for a good rundown at the bottom on possible explanations for his miraculous recovery:
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/04/24/the-quiet-room-erik-karlsson-is-probably-not-a-wizard/

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest8261 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 02:02:44
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:
Originally posted by Guest5091

If you look again, it was never said that he sucks. He only sucks compared to how good he was pre-injury. He's still a fantastic player and he'll likely be the best player on the ice for either team.

And again, that is beyond harsh - it's false. Pre-injury, you can't just look at a small sample of games where he was incredibly hot . . . he's not Bobby Orr folks. So, in a small sample of games where is above a point a game pace, to say he sucks comparitively to what he was before . . . is just silly.

He may have lost a tiny jump / step, but statistically and on the ice, he's been golden.

Not only is the guy Wolverine for physical recovery, his adamantium rectractable claws are still very, very sharp!

He's far better than Orr ever was
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/06/2013 : 10:02:03
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4159

There's a lot more to the game than just putting up points. Heck, last night he wasn't even in the top 3 defensemen on the ice. Arguably not even in the top 3 on his own team. He did flat out suck, as compared to the previous statement where it was just sucking compared to his old self (which, as you said, the vast majority of NHL players do)

His offensive instincts, of course, are still there. That's only half his game. He's practically back to first-year Karlsson, who was a liability in his own end. Did you see that White goal? Absolutely brutal.

And 1 game later he gets 2 more points in the first game where Montreal can't line match him 100% of the time. Its like this, I am not saying his game is 100% back and his step is close to what it was preinjury, but suck's isn't the right word for a player who is still better than a point a game player 2-3 weeks after being rushed back. How cant you expect him to already be the player he was, prior to his injury, when he shouldn't even be playing this soon? Every player gets a defensive lapse every once in a while. I'd still rather him back there quarterbacking the play over 95% of the defenseman in the NHL.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Guest9808 Posted - 05/04/2013 : 13:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by Oilearl

Karlsson is a beauty and makes the Sens a better team by his presence alone. I would bet the other 17 teams would take him post injury right now. His up side is far greater than his down side.

Sorry only 17 other team would take him? You mean 29, right? I think my beer league team would take him too but we don't pay out the money he gets.
Oilearl Posted - 05/04/2013 : 08:20:04
Karlsson is a beauty and makes the Sens a better team by his presence alone. I would bet the other 17 teams would take him post injury right now. His up side is far greater than his down side.
Guest4159 Posted - 05/04/2013 : 05:57:57
There's a lot more to the game than just putting up points. Heck, last night he wasn't even in the top 3 defensemen on the ice. Arguably not even in the top 3 on his own team. He did flat out suck, as compared to the previous statement where it was just sucking compared to his old self (which, as you said, the vast majority of NHL players do)

His offensive instincts, of course, are still there. That's only half his game. He's practically back to first-year Karlsson, who was a liability in his own end. Did you see that White goal? Absolutely brutal.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/03/2013 : 10:03:44
For the guest who still thinks Karlsson sucks compared to pre injury Karlsson, that's a goal and an assist in game one of the playoffs, which brings his points total to 6 points in his first 4 games back or 1.5 ppg. That is well above his career average. I am not saying its a sustainable pace, but being that he was so fast compared to opposing players was what brought him attention, the remainder of his abilities are still premier for a defenseman. His point totals this year if you count the games played regular season and this one game are better than more than half of the players forward or defense in the NHL who played twice as many games. His 16 points and ppg total for the 18 games he has played are better than 95% of the rest of the NHL including forwards and is only getting better with every game played post injury. I would never say a player who is doing this sucks, you can say he doesn't have the explosive step he had, but I think sucks is a major mis-statement.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
n/a Posted - 05/03/2013 : 07:36:23
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5091

If you look again, it was never said that he sucks. He only sucks compared to how good he was pre-injury. He's still a fantastic player and he'll likely be the best player on the ice for either team.

And again, that is beyond harsh - it's false. Pre-injury, you can't just look at a small sample of games where he was incredibly hot . . . he's not Bobby Orr folks. So, in a small sample of games where is above a point a game pace, to say he sucks comparitively to what he was before . . . is just silly.

He may have lost a tiny jump / step, but statistically and on the ice, he's been golden.

Not only is the guy Wolverine for physical recovery, his adamantium rectractable claws are still very, very sharp!

Guest5091 Posted - 05/02/2013 : 14:07:45
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/02/2013 : 08:54:51
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9053

For what it's worth... so far he sucks compared to how good he used to be. Yes, I realize he has 4 points in 3 games, but he's been worse, which is a testament to just how good he was.

The hockey IQ is still there but he's lost his explosive step. It's forced him to adjust his style to rely more on positioning, ala Lidstrom, as opposed to just blowing everyone out of the water with his acceleration.

So yeah, I do think he was rushed back. Hopefully he'll be back to pre-injury Karlsson by the start of next season.

Saying that he sucks is a harsh comment. For a guy so far since his return to be above his ppg total, prior to his injury and he is playing physical. He may never recover where his explosive step is the only reason people consider him elite, but if you have watched him the last few games, his shot and defensive play has not suffered. Being on the ice has opened up his teamates for shooting lanes. If the other team keys on him, which they should 100% of the time, the other offensive players who are now healthy have room to be creative. Can't wait for game 1 tonight.

I am now on the Spezza watch. Hope Maclean is being quiet about his recovery and we see him soon. Need to give him some of that Wolverine healing power.

Guest6281 Posted - 05/02/2013 : 08:14:32
Its not surprising. Teemu Selanne had the same injury. I personally have had the same injury with no residual effects. The turnaround time was a bit quick, but with modern technology here's what can happen..
Guest9053 Posted - 05/02/2013 : 05:30:24
For what it's worth... so far he sucks compared to how good he used to be. Yes, I realize he has 4 points in 3 games, but he's been worse, which is a testament to just how good he was.

The hockey IQ is still there but he's lost his explosive step. It's forced him to adjust his style to rely more on positioning, ala Lidstrom, as opposed to just blowing everyone out of the water with his acceleration.

So yeah, I do think he was rushed back. Hopefully he'll be back to pre-injury Karlsson by the start of next season.
n/a Posted - 05/02/2013 : 04:37:18
You guys crack me up . . . I put in the Wolverine joke option, and it's blowing everything else out of the water, lol!

Guest0245 Posted - 05/01/2013 : 18:39:21
Deer Antler fuzz
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 04/30/2013 : 07:48:59
I know that its unlikely that Karlsson is actually Wolverine, but that is my favorite. I read 4-5 weeks after surgery Karlsson was walking comfortably in regular shoes and started skating around the 6th week of recovery. Maybe the tear was a clean and easy fix.

Guest4521 Posted - 04/30/2013 : 07:20:57
ah, modern medicine. See also Curt Schilling.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page