Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Middle-aged Vet Bounceback

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 01/05/2017 : 16:31:43
Which middle-aged vet will likely rebound from their recent poor performance?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 02/21/2017 : 10:32:47
Sorry, late to the party here...

I agree that Giordano would not typically be considered a career-long first line d-man. What I mean is that he's not a first line d-man for the majority of his career like the elite d-men of the league. He would be one of those guys that is a really steady 2nd line d-man (if on a consistent playoff team, and let's be honest, Calgary is never certain of a playoff spot) that then has a few break out years in his prime and puts up some very impressive numbers and slides into a 1-2 position. I think we've seen that. He peaked at the time Iginla was leaving so that opened up the leadership position and his confidence went through the roof and he performed really well. But now at 33 he will start the decline, but at that age the decline is still pretty slow.

Now, he's still a top d-man in my opinion and he got my vote in this poll. Like Alex and Slozo said, he has a strong second half (did he learn that from Iginla?) so I'm pretty sure he'll finish the season at 40 points give or take. In a 30 team league that keeps him well up on the list of first line defensemen.
Alex116 Posted - 02/01/2017 : 10:48:39
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

As far as the question goes, I don't think any of the options necessarily 'bounce back.' I think all of those players are simply hitting the point of their career when they start the slide in their output. I don't see any of those players putting up career numbers or close to it again.

I didn't really read the question as asking who'd put up career numbers so much as who'd bounce back to what's expected of them. I get it, they're all aging and a decline can be expected, but at the same time, it's not crazy to think a guy like Giordano could return to his average numbers over the past few seasons? Not to say he could match the totals with less than half a season left, but there's no reason I can see that if the Flames improve, he couldn't put up a similar pace to those years (roughly .7 ppg?). He's one year off a 56pt season. The prior 2 seasons his pace was even better but he had injury probs. Going into this season, I pegged him at 45-50 points. He'd only need 20-22 points in the final 30ish games to be on the pace that I would consider a "bounce back".

Further to this, he started the season last year with 6 points in his first 22 games. He went on to score 50 points in the next 60. That's nearly a 70pt full season pace. That's impressive enough for me to think he would qualify as a guy who could bounce back this year!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/24/2017 : 12:21:15
I think Giordano was always a good defenseman, but your right he wasn't an allstar like he was in his contract season. That being said I would take him on my team right now.

To the Horcoff thing, do you remember when he sign, then got injured, then got back only to be played on the bottom 6, then the young guns went thru a rash of injuries and him and Smyth were promoted to the top line for half a season. Once the young guns returned from the IR, both him and Smyth returned to the bottom 6 and shortly there after both were traded. During that stretch of time of being promoted, both Horcoff and Smyth provided relatively good top 6 stats and the Oilers were close to playoff positioning, where as when they returned to the bottom 6 the Oilers took a steep dive in the standings for the next few years. I always argued Horcoff was utilized very very poorly during a time when he was the whipping boy based on his contract.
Beans15 Posted - 01/24/2017 : 11:29:56
Giordano just isn't that good. Sorry. He's not. He had one season that he played exceptionally well before he got hurt. Otherwise, he is a 2/3 defensemen and always had been that. He reminds me like Horcoff. He was a legit #2 centre to played out of his mind for a period of time and people all of a sudden labeled him an all-start (including me!). I was wrong on that just like anyone thinking Giorgano is an all-star defensemen is also wrong.

As far as the question goes, I don't think any of the options necessarily 'bounce back.' I think all of those players are simply hitting the point of their career when they start the slide in their output. I don't see any of those players putting up career numbers or close to it again.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/19/2017 : 15:08:29
Looks like Bergeron is snapping out of his offensive struggles, so it looks like the majority picked right
sahis34 Posted - 01/15/2017 : 00:13:07
Kopitar and Johnathan (how is he an allstar?) Toews should make the list as well.
n/a Posted - 01/10/2017 : 08:38:46
I voted Giordano . . . because I don't think Bergeron is putting up decent numbers anymore - I just don't see it. And Giordano has done the slow start thing before as mentioned.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Alex116 Posted - 01/10/2017 : 07:29:27
I'm not surprised by the poll results thus far. Well, at least not for Bergeron getting the majority. Where I am a wee bit surprised is I figured Giordano would be the runaway 2nd choice. He had a rather slow first half last year then came back with a big 2nd half. We've seen it before/recently, so I figured he was a good candidate as well.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/06/2017 : 15:16:51
Had no idea Bergeron needed a bounceback until you brought it up. Just a very good to great player for what seems like forever.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page