Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 One Man's Trash...........

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The 4th Line Banger Posted - 02/08/2009 : 14:28:29
Anyone remember November 30th, 2008? I do. It was the last game that Sean Avery played in the NHL. 2 days later came the infamous “sloppy seconds” comment that was the ultimate demise of Avery’s relationship with the Dallas Stars. It should be no surprise to anyone that he is now on waivers, but it might be interesting to some people to know who is looking to pick him up.

Interestingly enough, at that time the Stars were a morbid 8-11-4 through their first 23 games. They were somewhere around 12th in the conference and in the bottom 5 in the league. Everyone wrote them off as a bad team, Turco was washed-up, and they were in the Tavares Sweepstakes. What a difference a couple of months will make. Since Avery’s suspension, the Stars are a very respectable 17-8-3 and are comfortably in the 6th spot in the West with 5th or 6th not that far off. It’s pretty easy to see that removing Avery had an immediate positive impact in Dallas. The question is: what the hell is Glen Sather thinking now???

There are tons of reports stating the Rangers are interested in bringing Avery back to New York. Initially, I was a little shocked, but then I started to think about it. At the same time Avery was talking about his more than beautiful ex-girlfriend, the Rangers were in top spot in the East (or very close to it.) Since that point they have been barely average, only 4 points into the playoffs.

Imagine if Sean Avery was a mute. The guy is the best on-ice instigator in the game. He is faster than you know and is scrappy and strong. He can keep up with anyone in the league as he is a surprisingly smart hockey player. This is not even considering he’s good for 30-40 points a year and has played some of his best hockey in his limited playoff action. Is it possible that the Behavior Health Program that Avery has been involved in may have worked?? Is the guy’s brain (or should I say the link between his brain and mouth) now in control??? Who knows, but it looks like NYR is looking to test it.

This is the consummate risk/reward situation. The question is does the reward outweigh the risk? I think so. Firstly, Avery has to know this is his absolute last chance. He’s only 28 yrs old and unless he wants to play out the rest of his career in Siberia, he’s gotta get his head on straight. Secondly, the guy is the best at what he does when his mouth is shut. I don’t care if you like him or not, he is the most effective instigator in the game. Thirdly, the Rangers only need him to keep his head on straight for about 50 games. Who cares if he pulls some crap in the off season?? Fourth, maybe bringing in Avery would take away the attention from the rest of the team and their current losing ways. And finally, if he falls off the wagon, just do the same thing the Stars did and he is out of your hair.

Who knows? I might be completely wrong. However, I can say that if I had any kind if indication that Avery could keep him mouth shut, I would put him on my team for a playoff run as well. Does anyone remember that this is the same guy that played Game 3 against the Penguins with a Lacerated Spleen? If that damn link between his mouth and brain is fixed, he is a benefit to any team because he plays gritty and with heart.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9772 Posted - 02/28/2009 : 14:14:31
Avery's a great at what his job is, be physical on the ice and take the other team off their game. If he is able to keep his mouth shut than he'll be a great addition to any team.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page