Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Worst First Overall Selections Of All Time

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 11/21/2006 : 11:02:55
Who is the worst first overall selection of all time?

This question is based more on who could have been selected instead of the following first overall selections:

- By selecting Doug Wickenheiser first overall in 1980, Montreal passed on Denis Savard, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, and Brent Sutter

- Defenseman Gord Kluzak was selected first overall in the 1982 Entry Draft. Defensemen selected after him: Scott Stevens and Phil Housley.

- Minnesota passed on Steve Yzerman, Pat Lafontaine, Cam Neely and Tom Barrasso to select Brian Lawton first overall in 1983.

- On draft day in 1993, Alexandre Daigle stated that nobody remembers who was taken second. I think Chris Pronger would disagree.

- The 1999 draft saw Atlanta pass on the Sedin twins and Martin Havlat to select Patrik Stefan.

- Although still too early to tell, the Islanders passed on Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik to take Rick Dipietro number one overall.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
B-rett10 Posted - 12/17/2006 : 14:18:40
Lawton!
Ryan Harper Posted - 11/22/2006 : 09:49:41
Here are the NHL totals for the worst picks in question:

Lawton - 266 points in 483 games
Daigle - 327 points in 616 games
Kluzak - 123 points in 299 games
Wickenheiser - 276 points in 556 games
Stefan - 181 points in 423 games
Dipietro - 64 wins in 156 games played. 0.901 SV% and 2.85 GAA

Looking at these numbers, Dipietro's stats are pretty good considering he is playing on a joke of a team. I dont think he deserves to be on the list.

Looks like Stefan has had the weakest career.

Passing on Yzerman is what had me vote for Lawton.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Ripley Posted - 11/21/2006 : 16:07:06
Thanks for the correction Slapshot. And i'm sure you'll agree that everythign you just listed might have even mad the deal better than getting JS.

slapshot Posted - 11/21/2006 : 15:57:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

these polls get better everyday. This one takes some research. I'm going to have to get back to ya.

As for the lindros comment 6916. I disagree. Other than being disliked by fans and media and being injury prone since his first concussion he has had a very good career. 852 pts in 731 games. For all you Vancouver fans, those numbers are better than Naslund's 724 in 892!

He produced big-time for Philly reaching 40 goals 4 times and at least 30 each of the other years. He's a +218 on his career. He was only a minus player one season in his entire career and that was last year with the Stinkin Leafs.

I know your argument was that Quebec made a bad draft. But it was actually one of the sweetest drafts in the history of the NHL if you break it down, didn't they get Sakic and Forsberg in the trade?

Sakic was not invoved in that trade. Quebec drafted him in the first round I believe. Either 87 or 88.

In exchange for Lindros, the Nordiques received Peter Forsberg, Steve Duschene, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philly’s first-round pick in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million in cash

Ripley Posted - 11/21/2006 : 13:00:52
these polls get better everyday. This one takes some research. I'm going to have to get back to ya.

As for the lindros comment 6916. I disagree. Other than being disliked by fans and media and being injury prone since his first concussion he has had a very good career. 852 pts in 731 games. For all you Vancouver fans, those numbers are better than Naslund's 724 in 892!

He produced big-time for Philly reaching 40 goals 4 times and at least 30 each of the other years. He's a +218 on his career. He was only a minus player one season in his entire career and that was last year with the Stinkin Leafs.

I know your argument was that Quebec made a bad draft. But it was actually one of the sweetest drafts in the history of the NHL if you break it down, didn't they get Sakic and Forsberg in the trade?

Guest6916 Posted - 11/21/2006 : 12:32:18
The Lawton selection is bad, and Wickenheiser as well, but how about Eric Lindros? Passing on Forsberg? Thankfully for Quebec, Lindros is a whiner and they managed to grab Forsberg back.
bablaboushka Posted - 11/21/2006 : 12:19:51
Wow, nice research.

Passing up on any of those names for Brian Lawton makes it seem so ridiculous. I think the worst one of all though is passing up on Bobby Ryan to draft Sidney Crosby, what was that all about?

It just goes to show how hindsight is always 20/20.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page