Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 World Juniors sucks as a Tournament

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 12/29/2009 : 13:16:13
After talking to a bunch of friends last night, I find I'm the only person who finds the World Juniors flawed as a tournament.

Let's leave the attendance argument alone, even though the tournament isn't even profitable outside of Canada (no other country really cares to anywhere near the same degree). We also have the fun of differential being important, and powerhouses absolutely steamrolling the Latvians of the world.

Why is this fun to watch? Oh wait, it isn't. They don't even sell out the Canada games against these awful opponents. You can't tell me the tourney would be more exciting with less 'filler' countries at the bottom making tournament stats irrelevant after the first game.

Also, the continued dominance of Canada is actually bad for the tournament and for hockey growth outside our country. Am I excited after Canada wins? Kind of, but its unequal to the dissapointment of us not winning. When you win every year, its alot freaking less exciting then if you have an equal chance of winning/losing. The Olympics will make for much better television because Canada has a very real shot of losing a single elimination game against the multiple quality opponents.

I'm aware many of the finals have been tight contests, but 5, 6 or 20 wins in a row gets boring, sorry.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Larrydavid Posted - 01/06/2010 : 08:39:40
I think the tournament should start before Christmas so it will be finished closer to New Years day.

An even better option would be to have it either right before training camp or after the world championships. That way you would get more of the players that would otherwise be in the NHL.
Guest7364 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 21:18:12
Every team in the WJ have to make there in one way or another, wheather that reason being placing high enough from the last years WJ or making from the relegation round..so all those teams are there for a reason, when it comes to team like Lativa that gets beat by Canada so bad, Do you really think that lativa walks into that game thinking there going to win? NO but there players still go out there give it there all because they know that there playing against the future Stars of the NHL..So in 15-20 years when some of the players from Canada are still playing in the NHL and others are going into the hall of fame the from Lativa that played them in the WJ's can say "I body checked that guy" or "I beat that guy to the puck when i was a kid"..

Even the Lativa players love playing Canada....
It's no different then Canada playing against Brazil or England in soccer.. Canada knows there going to get beat 8-0 but just going out there and comparing themselves to best,.

Have you ever sat down to think what it would be like to play in the NHL? just to see how bad, and slow you would be?

Everybody does that even the Lativa players, so let them get there chance..
irvine Posted - 01/01/2010 : 14:54:07
Allen did look a little soft, but we can't fault him completely here.

Our team, (defence), allowed a LOT of odd-man rushes on Allen. Including short handed! Allowing two short-handed goals, not sure you can fault Allen there.

He should not be in a position where it's a 2 on 1 or 1 vs goalie shorthanded. It's not a position he should be in. I grief our Defence and PP forwards for a lot of this.

But, overall, Eberle was just amazing. Last two years, this kid has shined in this tourney. Lucky Oilers. :)

Irvine/prez.
Beans15 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 12:45:31
I think the Oil fans are smiling about not only Eberle, but that Eberle and Paajarvi-Svensson are #1 and #2 in tourney scoring and they are both Oiler prospects. Cha ching!!

Kadri hands are absolutely amazing. Gotta give him all the props for that. However, I think he has a lot of growing up to do and plays very selfishly at times. With his skills, he should be right up there in scoring with Eberle. Players like Ellis and Kozun should not have more points than Kadri.

The right coach(such as a Ron Wilson) can turn that kid into a star. I have become a fan based on his hands and that he plays pretty solid position defense means he has the tools to be great. Just needs some polish and someone to kick him in the junk when he gets out of line.

On a side note, I thought Jared Allen looked average at best last night. A couple of those goals were pretty soft and the 2 straight shootout goals going high glove side were not comforting. He had a gaping 5 hole for the better part of the game.

But, as I sat with friends ringing in the New Year and watching the game, a friend leaned over to me before the 3 round of the shoot out and said, "The American is going 5 hole and the kid's gonna shut the door."

Rarely do I like people saying "I told you so," but I didn't mind at all in this case.

n/a Posted - 01/01/2010 : 06:54:36
That was one heck of a game last night, good exciting stuff. It wasn't defensive hockey, but it was a joy to watch.

As others mentioned, Eberle looks awesome in this tournament, he's the mvp so far from what I can see. Also, this Kadri kid, who will soon be on my Leafs, looks to be the answer for any shootouts . . . man, that kid is good with the puck one on one! Taylor Hall . . . has not impressed me. He looks like a good player, but nothing to make him stand out to me right now . . . but who knows, he's got lots of time to develop.

Looking forward to the medal rounds.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Porkchop73 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 05:34:28
A classic game indeed. Jordan Eberle is one heck of hockey player. The kid put his stamp on that game. The Oil and their fans have to be smiling when watching this kid lead Team Canada. He gave a classic example of taking the entire team to another level by his play in that game.
Question though. Where is Taylor Hall? Concensus #1 in the 2010 draft with a big game on the line and the kid disappears. He played only 2 shifts in the last 9 min of the game. Past potential #1 picks have made there marks in this tourney. Hall has showed great moves but has not transferred that to scoresheet. Lets hope he steps it up for the semis.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 21:53:26
Now tonights game was a good WJC bout. As I said, once the games get past prelims (although this technically is a preliminary game) they are intense and some of the best hockey around.

Beans, I think you nailed this one on the head. It was indeed a classic.
irvine Posted - 12/31/2009 : 21:05:11
Tonights Canada / USA game was excellent! Just a great all around game. With the perfect ending.

Canada allowed far to many odd-man rushes, and it almost cost them. Luckily, Eberle pulled threw again for Canada.

Speaking of Eberle... boy is this kid amazing. Put him in big situations and he shines EVERY time. Last year VS Russia, with 5 seconds left he gave Canada what they needed.

This year, Canada is down and Eberle produces two goals to help them get to the end. Boys, he's good.

Irvine/prez.
50brent Posted - 12/31/2009 : 19:50:39
oh man just watched the canada/usa game and oh man was it ever exciting, that was one of the best hockey games ive ever witnessed so to say the world junior tournament sucks is just crazy ya maybe the games that are blowouts but oh man was that exciting
Guest2674 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 19:37:20
Classic indeed, what a game!
We've been treated to some classic games the last couple years. Both Canada/USA & Canada/Russia last year, and now Canada/USA this year are 3 of the best hockey games i've ever watched.
Beans15 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 11:21:03
Oh, I agree that the Latvia and Swiss games were not get hockey. But I did really enjoy the Slovakia game and the US/Canada match up tonight has the makings for a Classic.
Guest4803 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 10:46:01

Beans and Porkchop, I think you guys overreacted a little. But if you can honestly say that you enjoyed watching the games against Latvia, the Swiss and Slovakia, you guys need to watch some better hockey.
[/quote]

hahah what like a leafs game? you guys should enjoy watching team canada actually score goals and win a game. Teams like Latvia and the Swiss need to play Canada you dont think thats a huge thing for those teams? how else are they gonna develop if they dont get the oppurtunity to play top tier teams. They know there not going to win but the whole point is their going out and at least putting forth and effort.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 20:06:55
Definitely agree with what's been said by Slozo and people after that. I think you are absolutely crazy if you enjoyed watching the past three games Canada played, they were as boring as hell. But much of what Hugh said is true. The tournament isn't watched much less cared about anywhere else, and watching blowout after blowout really gets repetative.

Of course when the premiminaries are done and we weed out the lightweights, we get to some good hockey worth watching by anyone who likes hockey. I love the WJC, I think it gets awesome when the semifinals start, but you really have to put up with the drubbings Canada hands out during the prelims (except tomorrow against the US, which will be a fantastic game to see.)

Beans and Porkchop, I think you guys overreacted a little. But if you can honestly say that you enjoyed watching the games against Latvia, the Swiss and Slovakia, you guys need to watch some better hockey.
Guest0988 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 13:19:37
Great tournament, but definately hard to watch those first few games after period 1. Please don't paint me as unpatriotic, but when the score goes to 10-0 I find myself hoping for a goal or 2 from the opposing team even cheering them on. I guess I'm always a sucker for underdogs.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 12/30/2009 : 08:12:11
You won't see me paying to watch Canada play Latvia (or rather use them for target practice). But the WJ Tourney is the future of the NHL! You get to see some amazing talent, and every now and then you'll see some big surprises and upsets. Sure the prelims are tilted, but the elimination round is where it gets awesome!

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/30/2009 : 07:52:22
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Actually, I understand the point made here, and certainly wouldn't accuse the poster of "not liking hockey", that's a complete overreaction. To me, it's an opinion not unlike the one I have for any tournament in women's hockey: I love to watch the US vs Canada, but that gets old real quick, and everything else sucks. Obviously the juniors have a few more teams than two that can play with Canada (US, Russia, Sweden), but there is a big drop-off after that.

I may not totally agree with it - I do enjoy most of the hockey played - but I can see his point.

Although, I love Cheering the Canadians in any and all International tournaments, If it wasn`t a day off and I wasn`t in a pub with the game already on, I might have skipped the Swiss game on Monday. It is hard to get excited about another blowout win by the home team and favorite to win in the tournament over a team with no chance. Now had the Swiss gave Canada a scare, I would be telling you about a great game. Its gotta have suspense, not a shutout 6 nothing drubbing like that. I can only imagine the last game where Canada posted 85ish (exagerating)goals against the other team. Course, once prelimenaries are over I will be glued to the screen.
n/a Posted - 12/30/2009 : 06:01:39
Actually, I understand the point made here, and certainly wouldn't accuse the poster of "not liking hockey", that's a complete overreaction. To me, it's an opinion not unlike the one I have for any tournament in women's hockey: I love to watch the US vs Canada, but that gets old real quick, and everything else sucks. Obviously the juniors have a few more teams than two that can play with Canada (US, Russia, Sweden), but there is a big drop-off after that.

I may not totally agree with it - I do enjoy most of the hockey played - but I can see his point.

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 05:36:42
Just enjoy the fact that Canada is destroying teams, it wont last forever and when the day comes that Canada loses 13-0 or something like that, you will be begging for times like these

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Porkchop73 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 14:24:35
Are you serious? Do you like Hockey at all?
The WJT is the premier tourney in which we see the future of the NHL.
The format of the tourney is great. It begins with qualifying to be there in the first place.
Latvia and the Swiss and several other teams over the years get demolished by the powerhouse teams but they earned their right to be there by qualifying out the regulation pool from the year previous. These teams have great pride in making the tourney. Imagine if the NHL regulated teams. Some teams like the reigning champs, Pittsburg, would have spent years qualifying to play in the NHL again.
Fewer players get to win a WJC then a Stanley cup or a Memorial Cup. (Look up the odds if you want to, I am not going to)
The players are playing their absolute best. It is pure, excellent hockey played at an extremely high competitive level. You will not see these players play this way even with their regular clubs.
I hate making statements like this but, If you do not like the WJT then you do not like hockey.
Beans15 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 13:21:01
Boring?? No. Acually it's the best hockey to watch in my opinion. It's talents teenagers with every motivation in the world other than money. It's also a great way to watch the game without vested interest. I personally don't care if Canada wins or loses so I feel it's one of the few tourneys that I can watch objectively.

However, I agree that teams like Latvia make the tourney sour and it is not good for the world game to see one team win so often. However, let's not forget that the past 3 tourney's have not been a walk in the park. It took a shoot out, a goal in the final 5 seconds, and Ovechkin sitting on the bench for the final 30 minutes for Canada to win the past 3.

Personally, I love watching the hockey as a hockey fan, not as a Canada fan. I like it when then win, but it doesn't break my heart if they lose. Not like the Olympics or even the World Championships.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page