Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Rumor Alert - Dion Phaneuf Trade Request???

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beans15 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 11:35:11
As I was hastily packing my last minutes articles for my big trip to the booming Metropolis of Saskatoon I swear I heard the sports guy on the radio say that Dion Phaneuf requested a trade out of Calgary. As it was an Edmonton radio show, I didn't think much of it.

That being said, I have stumbled upon a dude that is saying he has a confidential source inside the Calgary team that has confirmed the request and that Mr. I'll Hit Anything that Moves is being shopped around but a deal will only happen if Sutter gets something he wants.

I have found a few boards talking about this, but I also found this.

http://hendrickshockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1614:dion-request-a-trade&catid=40:the-rumors&Itemid=86

There is also a few hockey guys talking about a Dion Phaneuf for Ilya Kovalchuk deal as a potential trade or sign and trade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/319798-lets-make-a-deal-kovalchuk-for-phaneuf-is-a-real-possibility

What do you think?? Any truth to the rumors??
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:33:47
Well I agree Willus, the friend of a friend is always about a trustworthy as a used car salesman.

However, it is common when you hear of people dealing with Phaneuf that it's not often a positive story.

Unlike other guys in the league that you hear people say nothing but good things about.

And I agree that the Piano Bar thing was also funny. But he was still being an ass. A Funny ass.
Alex116 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:28:19
I have a close friend who ran into Phaneuf at a minor hockey tournament here. He was dating Elisha Cuthbert at the time and she was with him. They were there watching her younger brother play in the tournament. While no one was bothering them, he still seemed agitated apparently. Well, as soon as the game was done, he says "Lets go....". She wanted to wait for whatever reason (can't remember?) and he says "Let's f***ing GO!". She gets up, none too pleased and storms off in front of him. He looks miserable, and off they go.....
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2106

Actually I can back up Beans' comment. I roomed with a couple of guys that played with, or against him in the WHL. And they all agreed that he was a good hockey player and a bad person. He did not have a lot of friends on the Rebels.

Agreed, my coworkers in Red Deers daughter dated him when he was a Rebel and said he was an egotistical ass. Still the Rebels games were fun to watch with him and Cam Ward on the team and Sutter on the bench.
Guest2106 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 12:58:39
Actually I can back up Beans' comment. I roomed with a couple of guys that played with, or against him in the WHL. And they all agreed that he was a good hockey player and a bad person. He did not have a lot of friends on the Rebels.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/06/2010 : 12:58:02
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Can't see Calgary adding Bourque as a "throw in". He's a very under appreciated piece of the Calgary team. Phaneuf and a 2nd rounder for Kovulchuk could work though. IF Calgary does trade Phaneuf though I would have to assume they'll be looking for someone in the mold of Savard, Thorton, or Getzlaf. They will want someone to either center Iginla's line or a gifted passing LWer.

I dont see Phaneuf of the value even with a second rounder of a Kovalchuk, Savard, Thorton or Getzlaf. And I agree Bourque is a good/great player which is why I picked him for the trade. No way Kovalchuks rights go for less than 2 current roster players of decent caliber and possible prospects. Phaneuf is blue chip but not a franchise player like Kovalchuk. There are 20 or better D-men of Phaneufs caliber which will be available at the right price, but try to peel away a franchise guy like Kovalchuk from any team right now.
Guest2789 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 12:44:00
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Apparently some media were outside the locker room when a shoutking match broke out earlier in the year between Phaneuf and Sutter. But that also happens all the time.

I once spoke with a guy who played some junior hockey with Phaneuf. He said Phaneuf was very arrogant and that many of his team mates at that time were not too fond of him. Supposidly thought of himself as better than all his team mates and too good for everyone else.

Maybe he wants to be an LA man with his actress girlfriend. Maybe he wants to get out of a hockey limelight and be able to watch down the street like a normal person.

I've also stumbled upon him on TMZ at a piano bar in LA with the Mrs, a few more beers than a couple, and being a right jerk singing along with the piano guy.

And Kovalchuk is a UFA this offseason meaning his trade value is lower. No GM is going to see the farm for a Kovalchuk unless he has some kind of insurance that he will sign in the off season or before.

Phaneuf for Kovalchuk straight up is not that far off. If ATL wants more, I would suspect a 4th-5th round pick along side. Let's not forget that Phaneuf is still very young(24) and is under contract for I believe another 5 years. As much as I dog Phaneuf, he is still a legitimate #1 defensemen on just about any team in the NHL today and the scary thing is he is still improving.

Who ever said Jokinen and Phaneuf for Kovalchuk is trolling or huffing glue. That's just not even close.

Ah the friend of a friend truths. Great character assassination stuff.

Last night during the intermission of Flames/Nashville game this was brought up. John Shannon went to Phaneuf's agent for the truth. Absolutely false he said.

By the way I saw that piano man clip as well. I thought it was great. He was having a good time. Nothing wrong with that.

What!!!Phaneufs agent said the rumour was false...that will be the day I believe a lawyer...especially a hockey one.
willus3 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 11:22:11
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Apparently some media were outside the locker room when a shoutking match broke out earlier in the year between Phaneuf and Sutter. But that also happens all the time.

I once spoke with a guy who played some junior hockey with Phaneuf. He said Phaneuf was very arrogant and that many of his team mates at that time were not too fond of him. Supposidly thought of himself as better than all his team mates and too good for everyone else.

Maybe he wants to be an LA man with his actress girlfriend. Maybe he wants to get out of a hockey limelight and be able to watch down the street like a normal person.

I've also stumbled upon him on TMZ at a piano bar in LA with the Mrs, a few more beers than a couple, and being a right jerk singing along with the piano guy.

And Kovalchuk is a UFA this offseason meaning his trade value is lower. No GM is going to see the farm for a Kovalchuk unless he has some kind of insurance that he will sign in the off season or before.

Phaneuf for Kovalchuk straight up is not that far off. If ATL wants more, I would suspect a 4th-5th round pick along side. Let's not forget that Phaneuf is still very young(24) and is under contract for I believe another 5 years. As much as I dog Phaneuf, he is still a legitimate #1 defensemen on just about any team in the NHL today and the scary thing is he is still improving.

Who ever said Jokinen and Phaneuf for Kovalchuk is trolling or huffing glue. That's just not even close.

Ah the friend of a friend truths. Great character assassination stuff.

Last night during the intermission of Flames/Nashville game this was brought up. John Shannon went to Phaneuf's agent for the truth. Absolutely false he said.

By the way I saw that piano man clip as well. I thought it was great. He was having a good time. Nothing wrong with that.
willus3 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 11:09:57
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Anybody following know about any friction between Phaneuf and the coach? I am not sure if Phaneuf's time on the ice has diminished in any significant way, or if he isn't getting as much power play time . . . that could be a factor.

Myself, I'd think that he would be happy playing for a great team with a solid chance to win the cup this year, but who knows?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

His ice time has been increasing as the season moves along.
n/a Posted - 01/06/2010 : 10:18:45
Well . . . it is beyond unlikely that Kovalchuk would ever go to Calgary for Phaneuf . . . I just don't see it. As good as Phaneuf is, Atlanta could get more from a team that is assured of signing Kovalchuk in the summer.

And usually, when you are talking about a very good team like Calgary, and you want to unload a player, you are just looking for prospects back.

My guess any offer would have to include a first round pick from a bottom feeder plus a role player and/or later picks.

Beans15 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 09:56:52

Guest6189 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 09:45:09
Phaneuf and Jokinen for Kovalchuk?
Guest2789 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 09:37:04
You know, after reading Theos' book I would not be surprised at this trade rumour. Seems alot goes on behind the scenes with players and coaches that we don't realize. Throw in big money, egos, family(insert Pronger wife here), and media, it is no surprise deals get made. I agree Calg would have to give up one more player to get Kovy, but not bourque.
n/a Posted - 01/06/2010 : 09:12:26
Anybody following know about any friction between Phaneuf and the coach? I am not sure if Phaneuf's time on the ice has diminished in any significant way, or if he isn't getting as much power play time . . . that could be a factor.

Myself, I'd think that he would be happy playing for a great team with a solid chance to win the cup this year, but who knows?

MSC Posted - 01/06/2010 : 09:00:40
Can't see Calgary adding Bourque as a "throw in". He's a very under appreciated piece of the Calgary team. Phaneuf and a 2nd rounder for Kovulchuk could work though. IF Calgary does trade Phaneuf though I would have to assume they'll be looking for someone in the mold of Savard, Thorton, or Getzlaf. They will want someone to either center Iginla's line or a gifted passing LWer.
Guest0582 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 08:53:49
Phanuef for Kovalchuk ... yeah right. Atlanta would never make that deal without Calgary offering more.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/06/2010 : 08:51:55
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2789

Phanuef for Kovalchuk.....I would pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat.

You need a few more piece on Calgarys behalf to complete that transaction. A Bourque throw in might make it happen.
Guest2789 Posted - 01/06/2010 : 08:49:32
Phanuef for Kovalchuk.....I would pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat.
willus3 Posted - 01/05/2010 : 15:42:52
On the busiest Calgary forum there is a member who is connected to the team and apparently went and dug into this a few days ago. He claims it is completely false. Also if you look where it is coming from it is not an accredited source. Probably the same place Eklund gets his info.

That said, one never knows.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page