Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Flyers acquire rights to Bryzgalov

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nuxfan Posted - 06/07/2011 : 19:58:48
Looks like the Flyers are going to try to get their goalie, Bryzgalov is a great one to pursue to fill the obvious hole that they had this year.

Can they sign him? PHI is in serious cap trouble this year, they have 430K to sign 5 guys - thats 85K per player! I can't see Bryzgalov signing for less than 5M a year (or 4M on an 8yr+ deal) - who will Phili have to move/let go of in order to make it happen?
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 05/15/2013 : 14:45:59
I love visiting these old threads... man, this seems like an eternity ago.

In the 2 years since Bryz joined PHI, its been a disaster of epic proportions. He's been average at best (some brilliant stretches, but some bad ones too), and the team has failed in the post season. Meanwhile, Bryz has not ingratiated himself to the local media, and has had some truly bizarre press conferences and interviews in that time.

It obviously hasn't gone well for him in PHI, and now I'm truly wondering if he's trying to get buought out this summer: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Philadelphia/2013/05/15/20824316.html. Praising Stalin is not an effective way to keep your job in the NHL.
n/a Posted - 06/23/2011 : 05:14:15
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

there seems to be a lot of talk suddenly about PHI moving Richards - I just don't see it happening, he is probably the last guy that PHI would move of their big guns. He's the undisputed leader of that team on the ice and off, and is the guy that PHI would most likely build their team around. Everyone else is expendable before he is IMO. If he does get traded, it would be for another player like him - which TOR doesn't have.

If there is a problem between him and the coach, and it gets bad enough, the coach will go.

I totally follow your logic - and based on what has happened in the past with star players and coaches, I'd agree with you 100%. But then why is the Philly coach Laviolette still there?

The rift started from over a year ago. They gave it another go this year, being one of the favourites in the playoffs from the East before their end of the season slide. They got swept by Boston.

Pronger has issues with Mike Richards as well. Laviolette does not appear to be moving . . . otherwise, wouldn't he have been fired already?

Hence, I think we have a different case here. Add in that Philly is chock full of talented players to build around - Giroux, Carter, Briere - and it's not like there would be a gaping hole if Richards left, like it might be on other teams. And they have a lot of centers.

Yes, I do think it's a bit crazy myself, as I would have (if I were Flyers GM) moved Pronger and fired Laviolette before getting rid of Mike Richards. But here we are, with nothing having changed, and an apparent big change forthcoming because of the cap and the Bryzgalov deal.

I think the possibility of Mike Richards moving is still slim - but it's there, which is remarkable in itself.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 06/22/2011 : 14:21:02
My thoughts exactly nuxfan. I keep hearing rumblings about a riff with Richards and the coach and find it hard to believe they'd move him before the coach!
nuxfan Posted - 06/22/2011 : 12:44:10
there seems to be a lot of talk suddenly about PHI moving Richards - I just don't see it happening, he is probably the last guy that PHI would move of their big guns. He's the undisputed leader of that team on the ice and off, and is the guy that PHI would most likely build their team around. Everyone else is expendable before he is IMO. If he does get traded, it would be for another player like him - which TOR doesn't have.

If there is a problem between him and the coach, and it gets bad enough, the coach will go.
n/a Posted - 06/22/2011 : 11:08:03
That reported deal would be a huge overpayment. As a Leafs fan, I love it . . . maybe it means Briere or Mike Richards is available for the right price!

Beans15 Posted - 06/22/2011 : 10:35:43
Shocking in a hockey sense but not in a Philly sense. As long as I can remember, back to the mid-80's, Philly has done this. They start building a solid team, systematically putting together the pieces needed to win, then start signing average players to asinine contracts and cripple the franchise.

Bryzgalov is a very good keeper. I would put him in the top 10 in the NHL. But he has won nothing and he has looked very pedestrian in the past 2 playoffs. Does that make him deserving of being the highest paid goalie in the NHL???

Nope.

If Philly does this, I would be sickened. As Nuxfan eluded to, it would mean a dump of more than one big contract. Losing a Carter/Briere type is bad enough but to have to lose 2???

Dumb. Not dumb to try to sign Bryzgalov, but dumb at $7 million. I see $5 mil as more reasonable. However, with teams out there with cap room they have to spend to get to the basement of the cap, I have a feeling this is just a start to a rediculous FA season. Contract are going to be crazy this summer.
Alex116 Posted - 06/22/2011 : 10:01:29
Wow! If that's the deal, there's gonna be a TON of pressure on him to perform! That's a lot of money to throw at a guy for that length of time. If he falters, Philly could be in serious trouble, though i think he's got the skill to live up to it for the most part.
nuxfan Posted - 06/22/2011 : 09:21:14
word from Kyprios is that PHI and Bryzgalov have the "framework of a deal" laid out, I guess that means they're close. According to him, Bryz is looking for a 7yr/50M deal! if he gets signed for 7M a season, the Flyers are going to have to move more than Carter to make room...
Pasty7 Posted - 06/10/2011 : 07:54:02
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

according to Chris Nichols, PHI and CBJ are exploring a trade, Carter to CBJ in exchange for Voracek (an RFA himself) and the 8th overall pick this year. Presumably in order to make room to sign Bryz.

this would be gold for both teams i think

Carter is the center Nash needs and the bigtime player the franchise needs to keep people in the seats and maybe put out another playoff team!

look to see the Columbus blue jackets makeing big moves in the offseason to improve their team for now, they simly have to or at the end of this season or the next we will be talking about moving the franchise to somewhere else in Canada lol

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
JonPolley Posted - 06/10/2011 : 07:00:12
Thomas isn't going anywhere stop smoking crack.. and I hate the Bruins and I still say that.
nuxfan Posted - 06/09/2011 : 16:51:24
according to Chris Nichols, PHI and CBJ are exploring a trade, Carter to CBJ in exchange for Voracek (an RFA himself) and the 8th overall pick this year. Presumably in order to make room to sign Bryz.
ryan93 Posted - 06/08/2011 : 19:06:31
Yes Guest, Nabokov is still Islander property & is likely to be dealt this summer. The very attractive thing about Nabokov is since he refused to report to the Islanders, his contract from last season carries over...so he'd only be a $570,000 cap hit for whatever team he plays for this coming season!
nuxfan Posted - 06/08/2011 : 09:50:24
Thomas may not be playing anywhere in the next 2 years, I would not be surprised if this was his last contract. Yeah, he has 2 or 3 more good years in him - so just as well his contract ends in 2.

The Bruins have a Window Of Opportunity right now - that golden 2-3 years where all the good pieces come together and are under contract together for a small amount of time, that make you a contender (the Canucks are in a similar spot). Thomas is a crucial part of that Window, and there is no way that BOS considers it next year.

The year after that, maybe - he'd be in the final year of his deal then, and perhaps he is the first of those golden bits to fall away. But I don't see the Bruins trading Thomas next year at all - he's done nothing to warrant a trade, the Bruins are WAY better with him in the net, and any value they'd get for him would be low due to his NMC. What GM trades a Vezina-winning, Cup finalist goalie who is the heart and soul of your club the following season?
Guest9272 Posted - 06/08/2011 : 09:06:43
I'll give you 3 reasons why they would

1.Thomas is 38 years old. How many really good years does he have left 2, 3?

2. He is making 5 million a year. Wouldn't you want to put that money toward another boafide star who could score some much needed goals on the PP.(Jeff Carter)

3 You have a backup goalie who posted very similar stats to Thomas and carried the team into the playoffs and outduelled Ryan Miller in the 2009/2010 season. Rask is the real deal.

Not saying its going to happen this year comming but Thomas will not be playing on the Bruins in two more years.
nuxfan Posted - 06/08/2011 : 08:49:40
quote:

I know for sure Boston will be giving serious consideration to unloading Tim Thomas at some point next season. I believe he will be on the last year (maybe second last) of his 4 year 5mil dollar deal and Rask is primed to take the leed in nets for the Bruins. I think Philly would consider Tim for the short term ( 1 to three years) and Tim would still be on a cup contender. Make sense but maybe hard to do if the Bruins win the cup

Why on earth would BOS move Thomas? 2 vezina's in his last 3 years (I'm assuming he'll win this year), taking his team to the finals, and signed to a very reasonable 5M per season contract for the next 2 years - on a team that has no cap worries at all for next season.
nuxfan Posted - 06/08/2011 : 08:47:24
quote:

Versteeg is too expensive as a third liner, yes; but he is also a guy you could move to a second. Remember, the 1st/2nd/3rd line thing is a whole different ballgame for Philly's lineup with three first line centers.

Versteeg had a hard time cracking the second line on the Leafs, never mind PHI - which has a much deeper forward line. I don't know how Versteeg fits into a top-6 situation with Richards/Carter/Briere/Harntell/JVR/Giroux/Leino all in front of him.

Unless they move one or more of those players, which as you say, is more than likely
Guest9218 Posted - 06/08/2011 : 06:30:06
I know for sure Boston will be giving serious consideration to unloading Tim Thomas at some point next season. I believe he will be on the last year (maybe second last) of his 4 year 5mil dollar deal and Rask is primed to take the leed in nets for the Bruins. I think Philly would consider Tim for the short term ( 1 to three years) and Tim would still be on a cup contender. Make sense but maybe hard to do if the Bruins win the cup.
n/a Posted - 06/08/2011 : 05:51:31
Well, maybe the Flyers will finally learn that they need goaltending. I mean, it's only been like freakin' 20 years since they had a solid goalie in Hextall . . .

There are deals to be made here, I agree with some of the posters postulating on a few pieces moving. Versteeg is too expensive as a third liner, yes; but he is also a guy you could move to a second. Remember, the 1st/2nd/3rd line thing is a whole different ballgame for Philly's lineup with three first line centers.

I think Carter or Briere will move, and funny enough - despite his amazing post season production and play - Briere might be first choice, as his contract is a bit heavy. Move him, and suddenly the Flyers hardly have to move anyone else.

On the other hand, there's that supposed Mike Richards feud between him and the coach.

Do I think Bryzgalov will bring Philly a cup? No. I don't think he will . . . he'll be a better goalie option than previously, sure; but he will not be playing behind the Phoenix defence, which was pretty darn solid. Philly might not be the same defence with a rapidly aging Pronger, I see that now.

Bryzgalov signed, goalie problem solved.
Many moves to follow!

Guest2712 Posted - 06/08/2011 : 05:07:27
wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the KHL.
what's the deal with Nabakov? do his rights still belong to the Isle's?
Alex116 Posted - 06/07/2011 : 21:46:28
Who knows, he may choose to test the market, but if i were him, and i could go to a team like the Flyers who are a definite contender, i'd be willing to take a little less!
nuxfan Posted - 06/07/2011 : 21:37:29
quote:

ville leino, sean o'donnell, zherdev, Brian Boucher And boynton are all UFAs and all gone.... the RFAs are even less prominent. i think the flyers are praying for the salary cap to go up so they can sign bryz and let the others I listed walk.

you gotta think with the addition of a number 1 the flyers will compete for the cup

The Flyers current cap woes already take into account that none of the people you mention are signed - they are the 5 bodies that PHI has to replace with only 400K.

If they're really going to sign the Bryz, they'll have to move a big contract, maybe 2. Carter is a definite option (for picks/prospects), and I would think they'd like to unload Versteeg (at 3M, he's too expensive for 3rd line). For the sake of money, I think they'd like to move Briere (and keep Carter), but he's an expensive contract.

Word out of PHX is that Bryz's salary demands were out of this world - wanted to be one of the highest paid players in the league. I think most successful teams these days have a cap on what they'll pay for goaltending - BOS and VAN both pay 5M a year, SJ pays 4.... perhaps he'll lower his demands for a contender.
Alex116 Posted - 06/07/2011 : 21:15:07
They'll def do what they can to sign him, including trying to convince him how much he's needed and that he's likely the missing link to another serious run at the cup! They may try to get him to sign for a little less with the guarantee he's on a strong contender?

Personally, i see Carter moving. They've got young guys who can step up and have an opportunity to fill his spot (JVR, Leino, etc) and his salary would free up some serious money! I believe Leino will be signed but other teams will be interested so it's quite possible the price gets driven up to a point that the Flyers can't keep him?
Guest7742 Posted - 06/07/2011 : 20:22:48
ville leino, sean o'donnell, zherdev, Brian Boucher And boynton are all UFAs and all gone.... the RFAs are even less prominent. i think the flyers are praying for the salary cap to go up so they can sign bryz and let the others I listed walk.

you gotta think with the addition of a number 1 the flyers will compete for the cup

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page