Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Will the Canucks go deep in 2012?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 06/22/2011 : 12:19:35
Will the Vancouver Canucks make it to the Conference Final or beyond next year?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MrBoogedy Posted - 06/29/2011 : 00:53:52
Surprisingly how evenly divided this pole is at this point, 35 yes and 37 no when i dropped my vote, which is also a no. There are very good points that everyone raised, but the one that sticks out the most is the 10 weeks in between the final and training camp. That has got to take a toll. Even though this is the longest part of the year for us rabid-starving hockey fans, I'm sure it probably passes far too fast for those players that only get to enjoy the 10 weeks.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/26/2011 : 13:08:24
The lockout was obviously a bit of a watershed. There has been an adjustment period since the implementation of the salary cap.

Only now, are we starting to see new trends that may last generations. Long term contracts, blockbuster trades involving younger players with undetermined potential, a greater tendency to focus on rebuilding, more money spent on coaching,scouting, training, facilities, anything that doesn't apply to the cap.

Maybe some teams are starting to figure it out. Maybe dynasties again?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
n/a Posted - 06/25/2011 : 18:11:19
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5052

Its a fair point that it is no easy feat to have back to back deep playoff runs, but didnt Pitts, Det, Chi and SJ all do it recently?

I think Van was good enough this year that it is more likely than not to get to the Third round, but as mentioned that West is tough and any team can make a run.

But much more often, it doesn't happen.

Didn't happen this year for Philly and Chicago.

It happened for both Pittsburgh and Detroit in 2009 - the first repeat final in many, many years.

In 2008, it didn't happen for Ottawa or Anaheim.

In 2007, it didn't happen for Carolina or Edmonton.

In 2006, it didn't happen for Tampa Bay or Calgary.

And so on, even pre-lock-out.

The only real aberration after the lockout is Pittsburgh Detroit. And again, not to say it can't happen . . . but it really is not very likely.

Especially with the way this finals ended, I feel. It's everything: the poor sportsmanship, questions on Luongo in those blowouts (including the game 7 loss), the riots, the coach getting questioned - everything.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest5052 Posted - 06/25/2011 : 12:24:04
Its a fair point that it is no easy feat to have back to back deep playoff runs, but didnt Pitts, Det, Chi and SJ all do it recently?

I think Van was good enough this year that it is more likely than not to get to the Third round, but as mentioned that West is tough and any team can make a run.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/25/2011 : 11:31:56
To add to Beans and Slozo and Oilearl, The Canucks will indeed have a tough go of it; if all the other teams stick to the plan of avoiding injuries and losing streaks.

It also seems obvious that certain other teams are making moves to improve their rosters, most probably in an attempt to make them better than Vancouver. Very slick indeed.

You gotta remember that this isn't the 70's or 80's, when it took only 16 wins to get the Cup, and the dominant team generally breezed to a championship unscathed.

Yeah, I know. Parity and whatnot, but it will be basically the same team that was favored by many to win the cup at the outset of the '10-'11 season. Hate to say it, but there is no reason they will not be favorites again.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Oilearl Posted - 06/25/2011 : 09:46:00
To add to Beans and Slozo SJ and LA both got stronger and LA didn't have their top scorer in Kopitar as an example of how injuries can hurt the run.

Vancouver will be in the hunt but by March next year this group could be tired or injuries could take their toll. I wouldn't be surprised if they played to round two tho.
Beans15 Posted - 06/23/2011 : 10:00:22
Nail on the head Slozo, all things being equal it is rare that a team repeats prior seasons success. Take a look at the injuries to Vancouver alone and the toll a 100+ game season takes on a team. Not only this, it's something like 10 weeks between the end of the finals and training camp. When you think of it that way, between September of one season and April of the following season, a team would have to play 3 seasons worth of games to make the finals twice. That's 3 seasons worth hockey in 2 seasons of time.

Without considering those one off situations of injuries and losing streaks and what ever else, the shear feat of making the finals twice in a row is more difficult than most give it credit for.

I see Vancouver being a strong team again but I don't see them repeating to the finals. Not with the strength in the West.
n/a Posted - 06/23/2011 : 08:12:59
It will become clearer after the summer, but my virst vote is no (to go deep, which to me is third round or more).

It's unlikely for any cup finalist these days to repeat, and the Detroit/Pittsburgh finals two years in a row was a bit of an abberration in a time when there are no more dynasties. It's a tougher, more even league, and every year, no matter how good a team is, injuries and intangibles come into play. It takes a decent amount of "luck" - having the right conditions, basically - for even a very talented team to make the finals. What teams they match up against in the first and second round, who plays well, who is sick/injured, fluke goals and fluke plays, etc etc.

My first guess right now, just based on probabilities, is that the Canucks make the playoffs, and maybe make the second round.

But who knows with these things?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 06/22/2011 : 14:17:39
Awfully early, but a good question. Too hard to predict really, considering they almost got knocked out in the first round! I would not be willing to put money on ANY team making it to the conference finals in this day and age! Almost every team that makes the playoffs has a realistic chance of advancing that far, it's just that level of a playing field it seems?

I don't see any reason why the Canucks can't, but def no wagering at this point.
nuxfan Posted - 06/22/2011 : 12:40:47
Assuming that they have nearly the same team back next year, I see no reason to think that the should not be in the conference finals again. Some key signings IMO:

- two of Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Salo (if not all 3)
- Hansen
- Higgins or someone like him
- Lapierre or someone like him

Other than that, the rest of the team that won this year's president's trophy and western conference will be back. Unless someone else in the west gets significantly better (SJ or DET), I see VAN getting thru again.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page