Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Edmonton and the 2012 Playoffs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9663 Posted - 10/25/2011 : 11:26:10
Will the Edmonton Oilers make the 2012 playoffs?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Porkchop73 Posted - 11/28/2011 : 13:40:05
I said no before, but the Oil are making it interesting aren't they. Can I change my mind? Long season to go though.

They remind me, in some ways of the Leafs last year, they are exciting to watch but you know they are missing just a couple of pieces to make the playoffs. A couple of additions on D would help or just better defensive play from the forwards would help. But hey I am not a coach so what do I know
Alex116 Posted - 11/28/2011 : 07:52:08
Slozo, i'm not. While they currently sit in 9th in the west, they're only 3 points behind 2nd place Minny! They also have won 3 of their past 5 and though they will miss Hall, i think they can hang around for a while yet and still possibly make 8th? There are teams like St Louis, Phoenix and Dallas who are all ahead of them which are teams i think they have a shot at finishing ahead of. Certainly not a slam dunk, but it will be interesting to see and the goaltending will likely be the key to any success!
n/a Posted - 11/28/2011 : 04:56:04
Are any of the people who voted yes to the Oilers making the playoffs changing their minds yet? Especially with Hall's injury now . . . and a more human-looking Khabibulin . . . can the kids and the 2 old men (Smyth and Khabi) keep up their inspired play?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Oilearl Posted - 10/27/2011 : 15:26:00
No not this year a great start so far however there are too many strong teams in the west. I have them competing further into March this year with important games right until the end of the season.

they should finish 10th - 13th.

Guest4178 Posted - 10/27/2011 : 14:59:11
Edmonton is going in the right direction – that's for sure! (Some might say that when you finish 30th in league two years in a row, there's only one direction you can go!)

Just prior to the lockout, Washington, Chicago and Pittsburgh finished 28th, 29th & 30th. One year after the lock-out, they weren't much better (27th, 28th & 29th), but all three teams improved dramatically over the next 3-4 seasons (mostly through draft picks, but by trades and free agent signings too), with the Penguins and Hawks winning cups, and the Caps finishing 2nd overall in the NHL last season. (Well, in the regular season at least.)

I see the Oilers like the Hawks of 3-4 seasons ago. After finishing 29th, 28th and 26th, they finished 20th overall in the 2007-2008 season. They missed the playoffs by 3 points, and I think the Oilers will probably be on the outside looking in this season, just like the 2007-08 Hawks. (Albeit the difference between 5th and 11th place was only 9 points in the Western Conference that season.)

The Oilers would love to repeat the Hawks' success, whereby they went from basement dwellers (or near basement dwellers) for three seasons, rising to 6th overall (2008-2009), then 3rd overall and a Stanley Cup in the 2009-10 season.

But for this season, everything would have to go right for the Oilers to make the playoffs. (Continued good defense and goaltending, and keeping the injuries, especially to key players, to a minimum.)

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/27/2011 : 14:04:23
I'm saying yes. Team defense is tight. Goaltender (Habby) playing like the star he is/was, successful sofemore season for the young offensive core, exciting to watch and Nugent Hopkins who I believe is the real deal. This is a mid pack team which should finish between 18-12 overall, higher if there young stars can increase there goals per game average without sacrificing the GAA.
Shepsky Posted - 10/25/2011 : 12:24:52
on the plus side, it will probably be yet another high draft pick for the oil.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page