Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Leafs - What about this year?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4717 Posted - 10/19/2011 : 10:44:31
Will the Leafs finally make the playoffs?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest2761 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 04:22:58
Quite interesting to go back to the start of this thread and read all the pro leaf tripe about how good the team the is/will be. I love when reality sets in. Don't worry though next October in a new thread im sure you will be able to read it all over again.
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 16:05:31
Before the season started...I bet the guy who organizes our Pickup Hockey POOL that the buds would NOT make the playoffs. I'm a Leaf fan. He's a Habs fan. But he put $5.00 down on MY team.

Fool.

Any team with Dirty Ron Wilson as coach wasn't going to be seeing any post season activity. [unless one counts GOLF]

While it's not impossible for them to squeak in...and now that Wilson is OUTa there...I think my 5-er is still safe. [And I don't have the Leafs in the POOL either so their winning actually works against me in THAT regard].

I voted NO in the poll as I did back in mid October. 7th to 10th? What kind of an option/choice is that? A safe-haven for those with no opinion?

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Beans15 Posted - 02/10/2012 : 09:53:00

Just a few points to Slozo's last. Epic is an interesting word to say the least.

1) I guess that Sam Gagner is no longer a member of the Oilers?? I missed the qualifier that said when you are proven wrong that you will change the rules. My bad. You are right.

2) Better than an 80% betting line?? I would really love to see this. Frankly, any time the odds get higher than around 7/2 (close to 70%) the Vegas books will call a 'no line' and shut off betting as there is little to no profit to the bookmaker on the bet. You are claiming there the odds on the Leafs making the playoffs are 5/4??? A little proof is needed on that.

3) You brought up people's opinions from the past. That is the bottom line for me. You chastise Alex but do it yourself. Call it what you want and I'll call it what I want.

4) That's what I said with a little more details. Thanks

Finally, to FER. I do appreciate the comments and you are correct that as a moderator I need to be a bit more amicable to everyone. I find it difficult to control myself from playing off his blatant dismissal any opposing view to his own. Specifically when it comes to the Leafs and his constant 'Leaf Bashing" comments to others when he does not see the hypocrisy of his undeniable bias towards the Leafs. That being said, he does a fantastic job of proving this I really don't need to highlight it any further. I will do my very best to contain myself in the future. I promise nothing but I will do my best.

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/09/2012 : 09:27:24
Wow you two......

Slozo in particular,

The only thing I see as 'epic', is one's inability to give credence to any opinion that doesn't support their own. In the last few exchanges, I have seen:

- Strawmanism? from a poster who has beaten that accusation to death in numerous previous posts, again, and again.

- Plagiarism(hopefully, tongue in cheek), but there nonetheless,ie; the crickets chirping, analogy.

-Unfounded accusations, based on nothing more than assumption.

It seems whenever you two get in to these exchanges, reason and pleasantries go out the window. I am sure I will be chastised as an Oiler homer that only wants to have the back of another Oiler fan, but really? Any constructive critique automatically gets labeled as 'Leaf hating'??

The topic at hand is the Leafs, why should anyone's opinions good, bad or otherwise, have to be put through the grinder?

There have been numerous concessions given by those labeled as 'haters' that actually laud the accomplishments and forward improvements the Leafs have made this year, why are those so hard to recognize, yet the only opinions and comments you seem to react to, are any that challenge in any way, your perceptions and opinions? Frankly, it gets a wee bit tiresome after some point.

Just my 2 cents, but as moderators, I would at some point expect the both of you take a breath and keep things amicable at the very least.

Now, both of you, to your rooms for a timeout!!

n/a Posted - 02/09/2012 : 06:31:31
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

What do the Oilers have to do with a Leafs thread?? And frankly, your crickets chirping comments are completely laughable. How many times have members or guests talked about Sam Gagner in the past week or so??? I will wait here until you stop counting. It will be a while.

Take nothing away from the Leafs. They are playing to their potential. That being said, they are not comfortably in a playoff spot at all. They are 3 points clear of FLA who have 2 games in hand. I would be waiting to be singing the praises of the Leafs at this point. I would suggest them making the playoffs at this point is just slightly better than even money. One thing that is pretty clear is how much the Leafs have improved on the PK. I believe I heard (don't quote me as I might be wrong) that the Leafs have not allowed a PP goal is something like 15 games. That is unbelievable considering how poorly they played on the PK for the first 25ish games of the season.

And for the record, was it not you Slozo, who was chastising Alex for quoting historic posts? Is this last post not being just a little hypocritical??

Just sayin......

This post is epic in terms of not understanding a thing I was talking about, or have talked about.

1) Sam Gagner is a super hot player right now who had a historic night. The Oilers are a bottom feeding team. They are not the same thing.

2) You are hilarious in your continued need to put down the Leafs . . . especially when you point out where Florida is, forgetting that because they would supplant Washington first, THEN the Leafs, that gives the Buds a huge advantage to stay ahead of at least one of them. Besides the fact that Ottawa has played more games than anyone in the conference and has been freefalling out of the picture, soon to happen I think.

Professional betting line has the Leafs making the playoffs at over 80% currently, and that is not assured, but it sure isn't what you seem to paint.

3) I chastised Alex not for historic posts in general, but for attempting to make it seem as if I backtracked on my point of view, instead of pointing out what I was pointing out - that GMs were leery of Carter's contract, and that his contract NOW seemed to be onerous considering Carter's trade, injuries, sulking, etc.

That doesn't mean I am against anyone here getting old posts to point out people as hypocrites, liars, etc . . . I am for that, actually - it gives accountability! But what Alex did was not that, and if you read that thread, it was abundantly clear to you as well I thought.

4) Leafs pk remains PERFECT in 2012. A whole month (Jan) of perfect pk, last team to do it was 30 odd years ago I think. Impressive, and extremely weird considering it's the Leafs, and where their pk was only weeks before that streak. Extremely odd circumstance, that's for sure, but we are taking WAY less penalties, and doing a much better job killing them off, certainly.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 02/08/2012 : 21:42:56
What do the Oilers have to do with a Leafs thread?? And frankly, your crickets chirping comments are completely laughable. How many times have members or guests talked about Sam Gagner in the past week or so??? I will wait here until you stop counting. It will be a while.

Take nothing away from the Leafs. They are playing to their potential. That being said, they are not comfortably in a playoff spot at all. They are 3 points clear of FLA who have 2 games in hand. I would be waiting to be singing the praises of the Leafs at this point. I would suggest them making the playoffs at this point is just slightly better than even money. One thing that is pretty clear is how much the Leafs have improved on the PK. I believe I heard (don't quote me as I might be wrong) that the Leafs have not allowed a PP goal is something like 15 games. That is unbelievable considering how poorly they played on the PK for the first 25ish games of the season.

And for the record, was it not you Slozo, who was chastising Alex for quoting historic posts? Is this last post not being just a little hypocritical??

Just sayin......
n/a Posted - 02/08/2012 : 11:14:39
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4243

quote:
Originally posted by slozo
Other than that, you sound like a pure hater who loves to hate, guest . . . you have anything to say which might disprove that? A favourite team, pehaps? Insight on the Leafs or any other team that goes past the "you suck/we rule" opinion?

Not a leafs hater. Just a hate obnoxious leaf fans, especially when they spout thick turd when the leafs do well put are silent or complain about their goalies when they suck (which is every year). So in return I try to be just as obnoxious as leafs fans when the leafs suck.

Although I don't agree with most of what this guest is saying, I do see merit in his comment about the deafening silence from Leaf Nation when things are not going well. There seems to be a far higher level of activity in the Leaf threads when things are going well than when things are not going well.

Just something I see.

I am still waiting for that Oiler thread Beans, now that Edmonton is doing so well. Pretty low levels of activity . . . (crickets chirping) . . .

quote:
Guest8492 Posted - 12/28/2011 : 11:01:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edmonton vs. Leafs in the final? Lol. Oilers have even less of a chance to even make the playoffs. East is pretty wide open this year, buds can sneak in 7-8th spot if everything falls their way.

However, they have been playing .500 inconsistent hockey for a while now, and I would figure some or all of Buffalo/New Jersey/ Washington (even Montreal maybe) will clean their acts up down the stretch. Simply put, they will have to be much better on a consistent basis to sneak in.

This one is a classic, and never gets old. Leafs suck, they would have to get incredibly lucky to make the playoffs, blah blah blah. And then rainign on someone's dream match-up by stating it could never happen this year . . . (especially when it would indeed be a fine dream match-up) . . . And the punch line is . . . . [ drum roll please! ] . . .

They have to do better to make the playoffs!

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!
This year's prize for Saying Something While Not Saying Anything At All (2012/13 season) goes to . . . Guest 8492! Congrats fella!

quote:
mandree888 Posted - 02/08/2012 : 07:03:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really horribe game last night! not enough shots to the net and no speed that was just ugly and painfull to watch. Sigh. Hopefully tomorrows game will be a lot better. the leafs looked tired and not much passion.

Hold up there, I may have spoken a bit early.

Leafs have no speed? Leafs tired for the 4th game in 3 nights, 2/3 of the season in? Playing against a team with a great home record? Time to throw in the towel, eh?

Well, thanks for the report on the game, Mandree.

We'll all be anxiously looking for your update after the Montreal game on Saturday to hear how awesome the Leafs are once again!

And Lastly,
A "rebuttal" of sorts to Beans, saying we need to get better because of:

quote:
Consider this:
Against playoff teams they are 6-8
Against non-playoff teams they are 9-5
this.

Record in 2012 so far . . .
against CURRENT playoff teams: 4wins, 2 losses, 1 OTL
against CURRENT non-playoff teams: 6 wins, 3 losses

mandree888 Posted - 02/08/2012 : 07:03:49
Really horribe game last night! not enough shots to the net and no speed that was just ugly and painfull to watch. Sigh. Hopefully tomorrows game will be a lot better. the leafs looked tired and not much passion.
Guest8492 Posted - 12/28/2011 : 11:01:28
Edmonton vs. Leafs in the final? Lol. Oilers have even less of a chance to even make the playoffs. East is pretty wide open this year, buds can sneak in 7-8th spot if everything falls their way.

However, they have been playing .500 inconsistent hockey for a while now, and I would figure some or all of Buffalo/New Jersey/ Washington (even Montreal maybe) will clean their acts up down the stretch. Simply put, they will have to be much better on a consistent basis to sneak in.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 12/08/2011 : 12:18:30
Remembering a forum from a while ago, where we asked to name our dream match-up for a Stanley Cup final, I picked Edm and Mtl. I would now have to change that to The Oil v. The Buds. Yes, I am a casual Leaf hater, but that series would be nothing but magic!

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
n/a Posted - 12/08/2011 : 11:19:52
Beans,
is that record against CURRENT playoff teams, or PROJECTED playoff teams?

Just asking, as playoff pictures for each conference change all the time, especially with the standings so tight as pointed out.

Leafs81 Posted - 12/08/2011 : 11:17:34
There's is three things that are killing the Leafs so far, if they can fix that they should be in business.

Boston (0-4-0)
Second part of a back to back game (1-2-1)
PK (27th)

Beans15 Posted - 12/08/2011 : 10:50:34
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

In fairness to the Leafs and the Leafs faithfull, they've surprised me, but only slightly. The biggest surprise for me isn't Kessel, it's Lupul. Not that i thought he was a pilon, but i don't see him as a top 20 point guy let alone top 5!

Slozo, i think the problem for the fans or haters, is that it's too hard to be critical or complementory in todays NHL. Let's face it, the Leafs are 4 points away from being out of the playoffs and just 4 from being 1st place in the conference! Blame parity, blame the OTL's, blame what you may, but everything is always so close! They're one 5 game slide away from slipping to 10th or worse yet they're one 5 game win streak from possibly putting themselves solidly in the top 3.

Damn, it's making it so tough to hate on teams these days!

This is a really great point. It is tough to jump on or off the bandwagon when the race is so tight. I do think that TO has exceeded expectations at least to this point however I still am not sold.

They went 7-6-1 in November. Barely a winning record but they did pick up 15 of a possible 28 points. Consider they did this with some key injuries, still having a horrible PK, and being tied for the 3rd worst goal against in the NHL. That is awesome and dangerous at the same time. Those indicators lend themselves more to a slide than growth. To Alex's point, they are a slide away from being out of the playoffs or a streak away from being near the top of the league. The Leafs are still banking on the sticks of a few for their success. Lupul or Kessel get injured at this point and I think there is a pretty loud gasp coming from Leaf Nation.

However, all things considered, the job of an NHL team is to win enough game to get into the playoffs and then enough games to win the Cup. Frankly speaking, I would be surprised if the Leafs did not find a way to do part one of that forumla. I know that means I lose a bet but that's the honest view I see. I don't want them to make the playoffs but they likely will. However, to the point of the guest who said the Leafs have not put up any "stinkers."

Consider this:
Against playoff teams they are 6-8
Against non-playoff teams they are 9-5

They have made strides, are improving, are a heck of a lot better than they have been in the past, and are exciting to watch (far more exciting that any other Canadian team except maybe the Oilers when they are on top of their game). However, they are still at least one full step away from what I would even consider a team to threat to contend let alone be a legitimate contender.
Guest6786 Posted - 12/08/2011 : 09:57:38
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8492

Leafs finishing 9th is pretty much a lock at this point. Now that they have a first round pick they will ensure it will be the worst possible without making the playoffs.

ah yes.....just another classic troll comment with no thought put into it whatsoever. if you get out of your basement one of these days you'll see that it's a beautiful day outside. you should take a walk, gather your thoughts, and come back when you have something a little more interesting to say.

now, back to the subject at hand....
the best thing to watch about the Leafs this year is that so far they've only really (3 of the Boston games aside) laid a couple of stinky eggs. for the most part from game to game they are showing a passion and a drive to want to win games. and that is a HUGE step forward from the previous three teams that Wilson and Burke have put on the ice. and to this point i think their record truely reflects that.
as Slozo indicated the upcoming games against Buffalo are very key. they've always had trouble with them in the recent past, and i think that this year is a good time for that trend to stop. if the Leafs can keep their efforts consistent for the rest of the year there is no doubt in my mind that they'll make the post season.
Guest8492 Posted - 12/08/2011 : 08:24:04
Leafs finishing 9th is pretty much a lock at this point. Now that they have a first round pick they will ensure it will be the worst possible without making the playoffs.
Alex116 Posted - 12/08/2011 : 08:15:55
In fairness to the Leafs and the Leafs faithfull, they've surprised me, but only slightly. The biggest surprise for me isn't Kessel, it's Lupul. Not that i thought he was a pilon, but i don't see him as a top 20 point guy let alone top 5!

Slozo, i think the problem for the fans or haters, is that it's too hard to be critical or complementory in todays NHL. Let's face it, the Leafs are 4 points away from being out of the playoffs and just 4 from being 1st place in the conference! Blame parity, blame the OTL's, blame what you may, but everything is always so close! They're one 5 game slide away from slipping to 10th or worse yet they're one 5 game win streak from possibly putting themselves solidly in the top 3.

Damn, it's making it so tough to hate on teams these days!
n/a Posted - 12/08/2011 : 05:40:59
So, to update:

- everyone piled on early to say how besides the Leafs terrible pk, that their power play also sucked
- everyone thought that once Kessel came "back to earth" that the Leafs would suck
- almost everyone predicted at least a slight to major November swoon

UPDATE:
- Leafs currently have the 2nd best power play in the league, offset by the 27th ranked penalty kill
- Kessel has cooled off somewhat during the month of November, but the Leafs got out of it with a 7W, 6L, 1SOL record, despite not having Reimer back for any of those games
- Leafs continue to hold onto 6th place after 28 games

See, where are all the haters?

What's the prediction for December you say?

Leafs are 1-1-1 so far, 3 of a possible 6 points. 10 games remain for December, 6 of them on the road. Key games: Dec 16th and 22nd (I'll be at that one) against Buffalo.

I predict 5 wins, 3 losses, and 2 OTL/SOLs, with the Leafs pretty much remaining where they are in the standings. Like I said though, those Buffalo games are key.

I'll be satisfied with 15 points total in December, and my faith will then be strong. Loking forward to a more "A" lineup with Reimer in net, especially as he gets more comfortable and in the groove.

mandree888 Posted - 11/22/2011 : 06:39:07
WOW!!!!! just decided to depress myself and look at where the leafs were with the PP% THEY ARE IN 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSAAAll&sort=powerPlayPercentage&viewName=summary

although PK% is like 27th or something.....

i am a real leaf fan. i know they wont win a cup i like em anyway! ~true leafs fans
mandree888 Posted - 11/21/2011 : 07:23:29
100% agree with slozo. leafs are a decent team and really need to be more agressive. especially on the forecheck. last afternoons game was a prime example of what happens when the leafs dont have an agressive forecheck. for a team that likes to dump it in the forecheck enough for my liking. i am not a big grabovski fan but man am i missing him. lol i say i am not a big fan because i feel he tries to do to much and doesnt really like to pass. and i think kulimen is suffering because of that. then again kuli hasnt been able to much without grabo as well.

i am a real leaf fan. i know they wont win a cup i like em anyway! ~true leafs fans
n/a Posted - 11/21/2011 : 06:31:45
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4038

quote:

All that being said, a couple more losses, and the Leafs will once more be on the outside looking in, so they need some huge performances in the next 5, 6 games until Reimer comes back.

uh, sorry to burst your bubble Slozo but based on their play as of late, it's gonna take more then just Reimer to get this team back on track.
no i'm not a hater. i'm a Leaf fan just like you. but i'm also a realist. even you have to admit the following:
- Phaneuff, our captain, is not playing with any edge whatsoever
- our offense has hit a total dry spell
- our forecheck stinks
not to mention our special teams are still less then stellar, and our overall team defense has been garbage most of the season.
i really hope they can turn things around, but i'm certainly not pinning all my hopes on Reimer in order for that to happen.

Disagree with many of your points.
- Phaneuf is playing great still IMHO, definitely playing with the RIGHT edge he needs to stay out of the penalty box most nights

- our offence isn't perfect, but it has had a normal up and down flow . . . no major dry spell, IMHO (obviously right after you wrote this, they scored 7 goals in the Caps game, but I don't say that just because of one game). Better seondary scoring would be nice, but I think it'll come as they are getting their chances.

- our forecheck has been average, but I wouldn't say it stinks, no. But it was better last half of last year . . . so yes, I would like to see it improve to where it was before.

- yes, our pk and pp sucked to begin the year, PP has gotten much better, pk improving slowly now, but yes, I agree that the pk has sucked.

Now, you ignore defence and goaltending . . . but my contention is that with goaltending alone, you will see a big difference. Not just the goals against going down due to a better goaltender being in net, but also because the team plays so much better with Reimer in net. Which makes the D look better too by default.

All that being said, a tough stretch now for sure with all the injuries. Last afternoon's game in Carolina was a prime example of really missing the offence a Grabovski or MacArthur would have brought to the second line . . . a very winnable game despite the Leafs being sluggish.

mandree888 Posted - 11/19/2011 : 12:22:29
yikes a lot of injuries this could be one of the major cotribitors if the leafs dont make the playoffs this year.

i am a real leaf fan. i know they wont win a cup i like em anyway!
Beans15 Posted - 11/19/2011 : 07:05:57
I was at a blues club last night (yes, there are more than igloos and oil rigs in Edmonton) and noticed a list of current Leaf injuries. Wow! Armstrong, MacArthur, Reimer, Grabovski, Lombardi, Kadri, Komisarek, and Brown are all listed as injured. Many of those guys are listed as out for 2-3 weeks or more? The last thing you want to see when a team is struggling is an injury list like this.
Porkchop73 Posted - 11/19/2011 : 06:58:28
Just for those who want to categorize Leaf fans, I was not silent because the Leafs were not doing so well. I was vacationing in Mexico. I will not leave again because apparently the Leafs go on losing streaks when I go and not check scores or anything. Actually forget that, I already want to go back on vacation.

What is with all the injuries?

Realistically, Leaf fans should have known that tough times were coming. Remember most fans even predicted the Leafs would be in a fight for the playoffs. I do think that Reimer will make a difference for the Leafs when he comes back. As team they play better in front of Reimer then they do in front of the Monster or Scrivens. Its all about confidence. Right now there is none in the goaltending. They also need to get two lines firing and the third kicking in occasional offence. Like others said, relying on two or three players just won't cut it.
Guest4243 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 22:00:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4038

quote:

All that being said, a couple more losses, and the Leafs will once more be on the outside looking in, so they need some huge performances in the next 5, 6 games until Reimer comes back.

uh, sorry to burst your bubble Slozo but based on their play as of late, it's gonna take more then just Reimer to get this team back on track.
no i'm not a hater. i'm a Leaf fan just like you. but i'm also a realist. even you have to admit the following:
- our forecheck stinks
not to mention our special teams are still less then stellar, and our overall team defense has been garbage most of the season.
i really hope they can turn things around, but i'm certainly not pinning all my hopes on Reimer in order for that to happen.

Bravo. One of the most real post from a leaf fans I've seen since FER or was that PC? In any case, they gotta use their speed for an aggressive forecheck more. Any improvement in the PP and PK will help too.
Guest4038 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 19:42:43
quote:

- our forecheck stinks
Alex116 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 15:41:12
quote:

Reimer practiced for about a half hour in full gear, which is really promising news in the face of a slew of injuries the Leafs have gotten recently. Now Komisarek and Lombardi out for about 3 weeks each . . . on top of Grabovski out for about 2 weeks, Macarthur day to day, and Armstrong who is still out for a while. Ironically, Connolly is now healthy.

Isn't Kulemin injured as well???
nuxfan Posted - 11/18/2011 : 15:19:58
quote:

And I noticed, Beans, that no one is posting about how great the Oil are doing right now either.

I don't think anyone was posting about them when they were doing well - other than polls about RNH and the kid line, there are no general "the Oilers are awesome" current threads.

One thing for sure though - they have been burned by injuries, the list of new injuries is not good news at all, esp considering that the Leafs are not a particularly deep team to begin with. The same thing happened with STL last season, and it killed their year.
n/a Posted - 11/18/2011 : 15:15:00
And I noticed, Beans, that no one is posting about how great the Oil are doing right now either. Last post in the "Are the Oilers for Real?" thread was November 9th (by yours truly), the last post by an Oiler fan even earlier than that. Check this thread for Leaf fan comments on their team even after a few losses. Yeah, deafening silence indeed, Oiler fans.

Listen, man . . . NO ONE brags about their team too much when they are losing. That is just reality, and common sense.

But let's swing this back from a nit-picking forum hijacked by Leaf haters, and get back on topic.

Reimer practiced for about a half hour in full gear, which is really promising news in the face of a slew of injuries the Leafs have gotten recently. Now Komisarek and Lombardi out for about 3 weeks each . . . on top of Grabovski out for about 2 weeks, Macarthur day to day, and Armstrong who is still out for a while. Ironically, Connolly is now healthy.

So, that promising news about Reimer was tempered by Wilson saying that best case scenario means he is back playing in a week and a half, perhaps. Who starts on Sat against the Caps is anyone's guess, but probably Scrivens.

If before the season had started, anyone said that Reimer started 5 out of 19 games, and alongside that gave the stats for Gustavsson as .878 save % and 3.78 GAA . . . you'd have found me not only surprised as hell, but ecstatic, at the prospect of the Leafs being in 6th spot at that point in the eastern conference.

All that being said, a couple more losses, and the Leafs will once more be on the outside looking in, so they need some huge performances in the next 5, 6 games until Reimer comes back. We'll see, but it's a critical part of the season, and I am so glad that they built up that nice lead in the first 13 games or so.

Beans15 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 13:52:12
quote:

quote:
Other than that, you sound like a pure hater who loves to hate, guest . . . you have anything to say which might disprove that? A favourite team, pehaps? Insight on the Leafs or any other team that goes past the "you suck/we rule" opinion?

Not a leafs hater. Just a hate obnoxious leaf fans, especially when they spout thick turd when the leafs do well put are silent or complain about their goalies when they suck (which is every year). So in return I try to be just as obnoxious as leafs fans when the leafs suck.

Although I don't agree with most of what this guest is saying, I do see merit in his comment about the deafening silence from Leaf Nation when things are not going well. There seems to be a far higher level of activity in the Leaf threads when things are going well than when things are not going well.

Just something I see.
Guest7752 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 12:08:17
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4551

Just saw on Mapleleafs.com Reimer is back on ice! BOO YEAH! lmao about time

That's not what his mother is saying.
Guest4551 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 11:07:06
Just saw on Mapleleafs.com Reimer is back on ice! BOO YEAH! lmao about time
n/a Posted - 11/18/2011 : 10:14:23
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8492

Slozo, that's not even close to accurate. Obnoxious leaf fans are confined to threads clearly marked as Toronto threads? Ya right. Maybe if this is the only hockey board you read, maybe, but even then...

Just like if you go to a Sens/Habs game, there are always going to be some [Mod Edit, please watch the language] with Leaf jerseys yelling 'GO LEAFS GO' the whole game and pissing everyone off. The franchise hasn't been relevant since 1993, and yet they have this undeserved arrogance about them that is palpable. Obviously this doesn't apply to every leafs fan, but they seem to have a stronger [Mod Edit, please watch the language]to normal fan ratio of any other team out there, in my experience.

As always, thanks for the unhelpful Leaf hate trolling . . . it has been SO informative and illuminating!

Guest4551 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 08:31:42
ok guest 8492 are you a fan of the leafs or not because it sure as heck dont sound like it....
Guest8492 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 08:20:30
Slozo, that's not even close to accurate. Obnoxious leaf fans are confined to threads clearly marked as Toronto threads? Ya right. Maybe if this is the only hockey board you read, maybe, but even then...

Just like if you go to a Sens/Habs game, there are always going to be some [Mod Edit, please watch the language] with Leaf jerseys yelling 'GO LEAFS GO' the whole game and pissing everyone off. The franchise hasn't been relevant since 1993, and yet they have this undeserved arrogance about them that is palpable. Obviously this doesn't apply to every leafs fan, but they seem to have a stronger [Mod Edit, please watch the language] to normal fan ratio of any other team out there, in my experience.
n/a Posted - 11/18/2011 : 07:43:43
quote:

quote:

That's funny, because you sound like an obnoxious Leaf hater, and you prove it with more of the same tripe that is repeated by obnoxious Leaf haters: same excuse as always, "we hate the Leafs because they have obnoxious fans".

Funny thing is, to even FIND these supposed obnoxious fans . . . you have to look around and into threads that are clearly marked as Toronto Maple Leaf threads.

I mean . . . it's not as if these obnoxious Leaf haters don't go looking for trouble, now is it? They are like annoying internet trolls, just trying to sound very smart in their own minds . . . unfortunately, they just pollute threads, add nothing to any conversation, and end up looking like spiteful haters with no life.

And you, sir, look like one of them, until proven otherwise.

Guest4551 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 05:58:21
ok anyone else notice how everytime rosehill plays the leafs loose............. just saying leafs already got their fighter that actually has talent his name is MIKE BROWN! stop dressing other fighters and dress someone hwo is gonna help with PK! dear god anyways now that i got that off my chest. at least the PP is getting better.
Guest4243 Posted - 11/16/2011 : 16:35:48
quote:

nuxfan Posted - 11/16/2011 : 12:13:43
quote:

It's interesting that the Leafs are one of 12 teams in the NHL that have more goals against than goals for and the only team in the NHL that is currently in a playoff spot in a negative position in regards to GF/GA.

I recall TB being in this situation last year - although they did enter the playoffs with 7 more GF than GA, they were at a negative goal differential until late March, and had one of the worst goal differentials of any playoff team.

Of course, when you have Stamkos and St Louis bumping up on 100 point seasons and the firepower that they have in general you might get away with a poor defensive season....
Beans15 Posted - 11/16/2011 : 09:46:00
It's interesting that the Leafs are one of 12 teams in the NHL that have more goals against than goals for and the only team in the NHL that is currently in a playoff spot in a negative position in regards to GF/GA.

Bottom line, the Leafs need to learn how to stop allowing goals and start killing penalties to be successful long term. Their past 6(ish) games have been very Jekyll and Hyde where one game they look great and the next they look horrible.

At the end of the year, the difference between a playoff team and a non-playoff team in rarely more than 1 or 2 games over .500 with a sprinking of points from OTL. Consistent over 82 games is what the Leafs have not been in years past and their current trend in November is showing this year to be similar. The concern to me(if I were a Leafs fan) would be the Leafs losing to opponents they should beat beating. Losses to Florida, Ottawa(twice) and Colorado are and must be full point wins. That's 8 points that might make the difference between the playoffs and not or home ice or not.
Guest8492 Posted - 11/16/2011 : 06:55:37
The Leafs are bound to come down to earth once Kessel stops running hotter than the sun. His shooting % is pretty clearly not going to be sustainable. He's somehow shooting over 20%, over double what his season total was last year (9.8%).

You'll find even the top players over the course of an entire season have a difficult time sustaining anything over 11-12% (even during Crosby's ridiculous streak last year before his concussion, he was still shooting under 20%). And that was like ridiculous elite outlier territory.

Thus Kessel is, for lack of a better word, getting 'lucky' so far this season. Variance is on his side at the moment, and the pucks are going in. However there is bound to be a regression to the mean at some point, and the only way the leafs can keep it up is if they can make up that goal scoring in other parts of their lineup. Colour me skeptical. Also their injuries are starting to add up.

They can still squeak in the playoffs as a 7-8 seed and get destroyed in the first round, best case scenario. Or finish in no-mans land (no playoffs, but no good first round pick either), which is probably more likely.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page