Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Are the Oilers for real?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 11/04/2011 : 10:57:10
One month in with a commanding lead in the Northwest and a hold on 3rd place in the league, are the Edmonton Oilers finally for real in 2011/12?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 11/11/2011 : 07:25:06
I think we will know exactly how real the Oil are after the next 10 games, 6 of which are on the road. Except for Ottawa perhaps (and even they are playing well), no easy opponents in that stretch.

We have to remember that the Oil, as GOOD as they have played as a team . . . had only 3 road games in the first 11 games. Since then, they have gone 2-2 on the road (and credit to them for 2 solid victories), and the going only gets tougher in the next 6 of 8 on the road.

I think the Oil will be lucky to get 4 victories worth of points, myself.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest2901 Posted - 11/09/2011 : 06:39:04
It's really a question of how they handle it when a losing streak hits them. Smyth has been there and will help but they are a very young group and they are thriving because it's so much fun to be a 18-15 year old millionaire hockey sensation in a hockey crazy town like ours is.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when it isn't so much fun to come to the rink every day.
merlin9 Posted - 11/09/2011 : 06:15:21
I am enjoying the early success of the Oilers. It hasn't been much fun in the last 2 years finishing in the basement. They have surprised even me....
Guest4242 Posted - 11/07/2011 : 19:54:18
They will only go as far as Ryan Smyth takes them.
BucketHead Posted - 11/05/2011 : 20:30:19
Has anyone noticed that Hall is getting hammered out there, every game i see he gets hammered into the boards or just smacked to the ground when trying to beat the defense, he is gonna get injuried if he keeps it up.
leigh Posted - 11/05/2011 : 10:51:48
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

...My wife's theory is that he should go to jail every off-season. Kidding aside....

I know this was meant as a joke but there is probably some truth to this. I would imagine being in a legal situation such as that would give a man perspective. No doubt he realized just how good his professional life has been and that he is a lucky man to have the opportunities he has. kind of like a near-death experience to make you appreciate each day.

quote:

...Scoring has been a challenge and I hope Hemsky is back sooner later as he would help get the puck in the net a bit more...

Completely agree. When Hemsky returns this team can get downright scary.

quote:

...Considering they are still maturing and improving as a team, excuse me while I put on my sunglasses, the brightness of the future is burning my eyes...

You are forgiven...this time. Seriously though, I agree with you, it seems a year early and if in ten games they haven't slipped too far I would agree this is probably the real deal.
Beans15 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 08:19:24
It's a little annoying that so many people are attributing the Oilers solid defensive play through the start of the season exclusively to Khabibulin. Some folks in Edmonton have said his play is improved because it's a contract year. Well, it's not a contract year so I don't  understand the comments.  My wife's theory is that he should go to jail every off-season. Kidding aside Dubnyk has also been very good but the reason the goalies have had a chance to shine is the very good (dare I say great) team defense in front of them. The Oilers have the 4th best PK in the NHL to this point and have allowed the 4th fewest shots against per game. Both are very telling indications of solid team defense for those who have not watched a ton of games and seen their play on the ice.  Scoring has been a challenge and I hope Hemsky is back sooner later as he would help get the puck in the net a bit more. As others have said the Oilers play most of their games in the near future on the road and against some pretty tough customers. We will see how they look towards the end of November.

As much as Smyth has added some offense, he is taking minutes from Pajaarvi and it is showing in a slow start for the Swede. But I can't argue with success. I believe this was where he Oilers would be next season, not this season. Considering they are still maturing and improving as a team, excuse me while I put on my sunglasses, the brightness of the future is burning my eyes.

The Oilers might not be for real today but it won't be long before they are being talked about as a contender. Clearly their rebuild has worked. 
Porkchop73 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 04:12:52
I too had pegged the Oil to finish near the bottom again. But to me the big reason for the Oil winning is the Bulin wall. Who would have thought he would be regaining old form. Maybe a few days in the Pheonix sweat box really woke him up. I hope he keeps it up.

I also cannot ignore the play of the Diaper Snipers (stole that from Yahoo sports article). RNH is probably the best #1 pick since Stamkos, maybe better then Stamkos IMO. Hall is surely talented but not as much as RNH and Eberle is a big game player who when the Oil make the playoffs will take the lead IMO. Any sort of slow down by this line will surely hurt the Oil offensively.
I think this road trip they are on will definetly tell a lot about the Oil.

Heres my new thoughts on the Oil since I wrote them off at the beginning of the season.
Barring injury, the Oil should be in contention for a playoff. In fact stats say 80% of the teams in the Top 8 in the conference by the end of November will be in the playoffs at the end of the year. So if they can hang in their to the end of the month the odds are in their favour for a spot in the post season.
n/a Posted - 11/05/2011 : 00:15:27
Agree with Leigh, good post by guest 4178.

Although, I personnaly pegged them as finishing lower this year myself, the goaltending has been phenomenal so far for them, and Smyth has had a magical impact. And obviously RNH has been so good as well for them.

But I am with Leigh in that I think there is a very high likelihood of injuries to key forwards or the old goalie; and I think their defence will eventually fall apart.

Where that puts them I don't know, but it may well be squeaking into the playoffs, or it may be just outside of it (which, in the west as pointed out could be 12th). But they do look greatly improved from last year, no doubt.

We'll see how long the smaller young guys stay healthy, and long the magical goaltending lasts.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
leigh Posted - 11/04/2011 : 22:35:42
Hi guest 4178. Great post. You should sign up. This will also allow you to edit your posts.

As for the Oilers, I'll answer this question in 10 games or so. They've had a lot of home games in October, the real test will be on the road. As Oilearl said, they'll also need to avoid the injury bug, some of them are a little small for the bigs.
Oilearl Posted - 11/04/2011 : 18:28:00
I am enjoying the early success of the Oilers they are a stronger team this year with Smyth returning. The team is playing a solid defensive team game including great goaltending.

i had them competing and playing meaningful games in March this year but I didn't have them making the playoffs preseason.

If they stay healthy I may be wrong.... they don't have a lot of depth if injuries do happen so being a long season my fingers are crossed!!
Guest4178 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 13:19:50
Just a correction to the last posting. (Jeez – I wish I could edit this myself.) I meant that 9 out of the next 11 games are on the road for the Oilers.
Guest4178 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 13:05:49
"For real" is a subjective term, but I think I understand the question as it relates to the Oilers.

I came into the season thinking the Oilers were an improved team, and I pegged them at finishing somewhere between 7th-12th in the west which seems like quite a span. In reality, the difference between these positions is a matter of 4-5 wins most seasons, which could be determined by hot goaltending, injuries, shoot-out wins/losses, etc.

I've watched almost every Oiler game, and they look better than I expected. Nine of their next games are on the road however, so this is the real test.

Like most people, I'm particularly surprised with their improved defensive play (which is mostly their goaltending). I doubt anyone predicted that Khabibulan (and Dubnyk) would get off to such a great start.

I still think the Oilers will be competing for the 7th or 8th playoff position in the west, but they could very well be 3-4 points on the outside looking in.

I definitely do not see them finishing last place this season, and as Guest2347 jokes, yes maybe, finally someone else can get the first overall pick, because the Oilers have benefited by this for years. (Well two actually, and really only two times since they joined the NHL 32 years ago.)

A bit of history lesson: the Penguins benefited by three top draft picks three seasons in a row: Fleury (1st overall in 2003), Malkin (2nd overall in 2004), and Crosby (1st overall in 2005), and I don't think anyone was begrudging them their good fortune. They also had the first overall pick in 1984 (Lemieux), so they have enjoyed and benefited by getting these picks over the years.

I digress from the original subject matter, but in finishing up with teams which benefited by first overall draft picks, the Quebec Nordiques had three in a row: Sundin (1989), Nolan (1990), and Lindros (1991), and this was instrumental (via trades in particular) with the Colorado Avalanche's success, winning a cup in 1996, and again in 2001!
Guest2347 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 12:09:46
good to see someone else might get first overall draft pick for once
nuxfan Posted - 11/04/2011 : 11:16:33
I guess we should define "for real". I don't think anyone thought they would finish bottom of the league again, but I don't think they'll be in the playoffs when the season ends either. For me they are a "for real" respectable team, but not "real contenders" yet.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page