Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Your seven best players in recent NHL history?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andyhack Posted - 12/01/2011 : 03:29:14
Since the 2005-2006 season ended, the league has been in the post Lemieux-Gretzky era. Who would you rank as the seven best players in the NHL since then (not including goalies)?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ryan93 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 11:03:30
I assume you mean the start of the 2005/06 season?
andyhack Posted - 12/02/2011 : 17:43:13
Just to clarify, I meant which players have performed the best over the period since the beginning of the 2006-2007 season. I did not intend for greats like Sakic and Jagr to be on this list even though they played a bit in that period.
Stamkos a Hab Posted - 12/02/2011 : 15:40:03
I know Voracek finally steps up.

Sucks 2 be the rest of ya
Alex116 Posted - 12/02/2011 : 11:01:43
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101
Don't forget Jakub Voracek

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

LOL, i never did figure out where all the love for this guy came from? At least he's having a decent season finally!!
Sensfan101 Posted - 12/02/2011 : 03:54:46
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Fitzpatrick
Komisarek
Gomez
Stajan
Cheechoo
Filatov
Rivet

WTF??? Are you on drugs? How could Shane O'Brien not be on your list???

Cr ap i knew i forgot someone... sorry Craig Rivet just got bumped to 8th

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker

Don't forget Jakub Voracek

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Pasty7 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 21:36:27
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Fitzpatrick
Komisarek
Gomez
Stajan
Cheechoo
Filatov
Rivet

Cr ap i knew i forgot someone... sorry Craig Rivet just got bumped to 8th

Alex116 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 20:35:08
quote:

Fitzpatrick
Komisarek
Gomez
Stajan
Cheechoo
Filatov
Rivet

Alex116 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 19:54:29
Crosby is the obvious #1 and from there....

2. Datsyuk - Not only puts up points, but wins Selke's as well. Just so good at both ends of the ice.

3. OV - Would have been 2 if not for his off year last year and his slow start this year

4. Lidstrom - Would rather the question was forwards only, but as is, he has to be on any list! 4 Norris trophy's since the lockout? And someone put Keith ahead of him???

5. Thornton - Unbelievably consistent! I'm sure if this guy had even 1 cup ring, he'd be top 3 on most lists!!!

6. Malkin - Couple not so good years, but a couple stellar ones

7. Sedin(s) - Take your pick. Both extremely consistent.

Guys i didn't include, some of whom have been mentioned:
Sakic - Best years were pre lock out.
St. Louis - Could easily be on this list.
Stamkos - Too early in his career, hasn't played enough to make my list
Iggy - If only he had some better teams to work with, he'd prob be in my top 5 with how good his numbers would have been Still incredibly consistent!

Pasty7 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 19:42:04

Fitzpatrick
Komisarek
Gomez
Stajan
Cheechoo
Filatov
Rivet

or

Crosby
Datsyuk
Toews
Ovetchkin
Sedin
Sedin
Lidstrom

those are my seven but Ovetchkin is one more 80 ish point season from falling right off this list,

honorable mentions
Geztlaf
Malkin
E.Staal
Marleau
Thornton

foolpittier Posted - 12/01/2011 : 13:06:55
crosby, yzerman, sakic, jagr, st louis
Stamkos a Hab Posted - 12/01/2011 : 12:14:20
#1 Sidney Crosby although I hate this guy the stats don't lie.
#2 Alex Ovechkin It's rather him or Crosby
#3 Steven Stamkos This guy was a talent from the start
#4 Joe Sakic Has anyone remebered this guy?
#5 Mats Sundin I hated him most of his career when he went to Vancouer for half a season his talent really stood out 4 me.
#6 Egvini Malkin Crosby's right hand man.
#7 Daniel/Henrik Sedin They're both equally talented but Daniel has my favor because he is the scorer.

Sucks 2 be the rest of ya
Guest7116 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 11:06:58
Malkin easily HAS to be top 5... guy is a difference maker night in and night out
Guest2388 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 09:46:40
Crosby, ovechkin, lundqvist, toews, kieth, fleury, sedin
ryan93 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 09:44:19
A guy like Stamkos has been brilliant the past couple of seaons...but i didn't really give him much consideration as i was going more for the entire 7 seasons since the lockout...where as Stamkos for example wasn't even in the NHL in 05/06, 06/07, or 07/08...and wasn't a star in his first season 08/09. It wasn't until 2009/10 that Stamkos really became a star player.

I have to give an honorable mention to Jaromir Jagr as well. Obviously he hasn't played enough in the NHL post lockout to be on this list...but his 2005/06 season in which he put up 54 goals & 123 points was one of the most dominant seasons i've seen in recent memory.
Oilearl Posted - 12/01/2011 : 09:38:43
Crosby
Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Weber
Toews
Stamkos
Keith

I love Lidstrom but believe Weber and Keith should be ahead of him be on this list. Lidstrom is an honourable mention as is Malkin, Thornton, St. Louis.

ryan93 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 07:32:06
Just curious, does anyone have a list of the top scorers since the lockout? I had a look but all i could find were lists up until the 09/10 season & don't really feel like adding last years stats on myself
n/a Posted - 12/01/2011 : 06:17:53
So, just looking at the seasons 06/07 onward, who are the 7 best players (forwards and defence) in the NHL?

Hmm, nice topic, and I can answer a few off the top of my head.

#1 is Crosby, hands down, no question, do not pass GO, do not collect $200, go directly to Sid the Kid.

#2 is Ovechkin, easy. No, he hasn't been Sid's equal or better the last year and a half . . . but he is/was the most dominant scorer ever since he's been in the league (although that looks to be changing, credit must be given).

#3 and #4 is Daniel and Henrick Sedin. Again, easily the most consistent point producers in the league, and have been utterly dominant as a duo, and even when one is out, have still been great.

Now we get into trouble . . . because I am really trying to hard to think of a dominant defenceman I can add to here, but am having trouble doing so. And there are a bunch of forwards I can lump in this next 5-7 group, and some have a smaller sample size due to their age and time in the league. But, you did say the "best players", not who had the best seasons cumulatively.

#5 Evgeni Malkin. No other player other than Crosby or Ovechkin has single-handedly looked as dominant on many nights as this guy has been. Is he still at that level right now? No, probably not, but . . . for the time period, definitely has to be in the top 7, no question.

#6 Nick Lidstrom. Must give credit where credit is due, and this is the only d-man that makes my list. He is a point machine, great defensively, runs the power play, he does it all . . . and without having to be too physical, which has made him extremely durable into his twilight years.

#7 Jerome Iginla. 50 goal scorer, an offensive force, a physical force, leader . . . he is the complete package, and true "hockey player's hockey player" with all his grit, charisma and competetiveness.

Extremely difficult cuts I have no problem with you giving me heck for leaving off: Joe Thornton, Pavel Datsyuk, Steve Stamkos, Shea Weber, Marty St. Louis, Chris Pronger. Thornton and Stamkos in particular were both in my top 7 at first, but upon closer inspection, I had to bump them down.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
ryan93 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 05:55:18
Based solely on play from the lockout until now...

Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin
Pavel Datsyuk
Joe Thornton
Nick Lidstrom
Martin St.Louis
Either Sedin

The top 5 i'm sure of, the last 2 i really couldn't decide on. Others i considered included the other Sedin, Kovalchuk, Chara, Iginla, Alfredsson, BRichards, Malkin, Heatley, Lecavalier...

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page