Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Calder Trophy

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest0978 Posted - 01/25/2012 : 16:30:20
The Calder race seems pretty wide open to me. Who do you think is gonna win it this year?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ryan93 Posted - 01/26/2012 : 12:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2978

RNH could have a decent chance to win it even if he doesn't play another game this year... Reason being that playing 38 games is long enough that his stats aren't due to just a hot streak. He won back to back rookie of the month awards before he was injured too (something not done since, I believe, Jagr did it).

You're partially right...RNH joined Evgeni Malkin as the only 2 players to win the first 2 rookie of the month honors to start a season in the past 20 years.

Guest5744 Posted - 01/26/2012 : 09:59:55
now time to put up a case for my boy gabriel since no one has even mentioned him...

10 goals 26 points 2 gwg and has not missed a game.

however his best stat is +12 on the avalanche...

RNH... not RHN... is even at +\- 0
matt read +12 on a much much much better team than gabriel.
adam henrique +6
hodgson +7 on one of the best teams
IMO the nuge has to come back and dominate otherwise he has lost it to henrique ...
if read or landeskog were to get hot the calder could be theres too.
nuxfan Posted - 01/25/2012 : 23:28:07
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I don't think RNH wins it if he doesn't return, but that's VERY unlikely. So too is him struggling so bad that he doesn't at least keep pace with the others (if he doesn't go back to the pace he was at before).

What i found intersting when i looked up the numbers, was that Henrique is only 1 pt behind him and has actually only played 5 more games? Both get similar ice time as well. SO, if RNH comes back and falters even a bit, it's possible one of the others could continue their strong play and surpass what he ends up doing???

Interesting number is the time on ice for the top rookie scorers:

RNH - 17:19....13G's 22A's 35pts
Henriquie - 18:24....13G's 21A's 34pts
Read - 17:28....15G's 16A's 31pts
Hodgson - 12:42....13G's 16A's 29pts

Hodgson is highly unlikely to win it without an incredible 2nd half, but i sure do like what i'm seeing from him as a Canucks fan at this point! Under 13 mins / game on the 3rd line and putting up decent numbers looks good to me. I just hope all the rumours about AV not likely him are overblown and or he takes a liking to him sooner than later!

Henrique and RHN are in similar situations with their respective teams - both are centering their top lines, and both are benefitting from playing with offensively gifted forwards. To me, Henrique's ability to be effective on the PK (RHN does not play PK at all), especially at his age, gives him an edge. If both RHN and Henrique finished the season neck and neck in rookie scoring, that might set Henrique apart.

I too am impressed with Hodgson, given that he is getting all those points playing on the 3rd line and 13 mins a game. He does play second PP unit though, and does get points there. But he has effectively pushed Malhotra to the wing on that 3rd line, something that I never thought would happen. Hodgson makes that line an effective scoring threat. If he could finish the year strong, and was within spitting distance of Henrique or RHN while playing half the minutes with offensive "stars" such as Malhotra, Lapierre, and Raymond...that would be pretty awesome.
Alex116 Posted - 01/25/2012 : 22:15:55
I don't think RNH wins it if he doesn't return, but that's VERY unlikely. So too is him struggling so bad that he doesn't at least keep pace with the others (if he doesn't go back to the pace he was at before).

What i found intersting when i looked up the numbers, was that Henrique is only 1 pt behind him and has actually only played 5 more games? Both get similar ice time as well. SO, if RNH comes back and falters even a bit, it's possible one of the others could continue their strong play and surpass what he ends up doing???

Interesting number is the time on ice for the top rookie scorers:

RNH - 17:19....13G's 22A's 35pts
Henriquie - 18:24....13G's 21A's 34pts
Read - 17:28....15G's 16A's 31pts
Hodgson - 12:42....13G's 16A's 29pts

Hodgson is highly unlikely to win it without an incredible 2nd half, but i sure do like what i'm seeing from him as a Canucks fan at this point! Under 13 mins / game on the 3rd line and putting up decent numbers looks good to me. I just hope all the rumours about AV not likely him are overblown and or he takes a liking to him sooner than later!
Guest2978 Posted - 01/25/2012 : 21:30:02
RNH could have a decent chance to win it even if he doesn't play another game this year... Reason being that playing 38 games is long enough that his stats aren't due to just a hot streak. He won back to back rookie of the month awards before he was injured too (something not done since, I believe, Jagr did it).

Yes I understand that the season is 82 games long, I guess I just don't like the idea of a guy losing an honor like that due to injury that's all. The body of work, up to his injury, MAY be enough to carry him through even he can't come back this year.

But I guess there is alot of time for guys to light it up for the rest of the year (not saying that there arguements to be made right now mind you for others to win it) making my above point kind of pointless. :)
nuxfan Posted - 01/25/2012 : 20:10:42
RHN had it locked down - until he got injured. Depending on how long he's out, it could affect his candidacy.

Others that might fill the void should RHN not get back soon, or be ordinary when he gets back:

- Cody Hodgson (VAN) - has been quietly putting together a very good season, and has been getting a lot better over the last few weeks. 29 points in 49 games, and thats playing on the 3rd line and second PP unit.

- Adam Henrique (NJD) - 34 pts in 43 games, currently centreing the top line in NJ. What impresses me the most is that he's already becoming known as a very good PK guy, and is playing in all 3 situations. Thats not common when you're that young.

- Matt Read (PHI) - 31 pts in 45 games, he's a bit streaky but has produced relatively well.

- Luke Adam (BUF) - 20 pts in 49 games, he'll suffer because BUF is having such a bad season.

- Jake Gardiner (TOR) - hard for a defenseman to win the Calder unless they're simply outstanding, but he's having a great year.

At this point, I think its a close race between RHN, Henrique, and Read, with Hodgson a dark horse fourth. Had RHN stayed healthy, I think he'd be running away with it.
sahis34 Posted - 01/25/2012 : 18:24:43
RNH has it locked down.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page