Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Trade rumours, thoughts, opinions, etc

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 01/27/2012 : 15:17:58
With the trade deadline approaching, i figured we could discuss possible trades, rumoured trades, trades you think would be good for your team, etc. Rather than sabotage other threads, we could discuss here.

Mods, feel free to move any other stuff here (such as the Corry Perry to Vancouver "dream" i posted).
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
@valanche Posted - 02/28/2012 : 11:50:15
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Sure, Nash has been everything CBJ could have asked for, but how is it he signed such a HUGE deal not that long ago, and now suddenly wants out? What did he see less than 3 years ago that made him willing to sign longterm in Columbus?

well they had made the playoffs (although not much success).
they probably told him they were planning on sinking some money into the team (which they did) and trying to contend (which they did not).

now from nash's POV the team is worse than it has ever been and he's right back to square one. good for him, who would want to play on the worst team with no fans? i sure know i wouldn't.

66 is > than 99
Alex116 Posted - 02/28/2012 : 11:24:39
If his value goes down, which it could perhaps slightly, how will we ever know? Let's face it, the asking price was so ridiculous to begin with that ANYTHING now will seem like his value went down!!!

I know this will prob not happen as Howson's job could very well be on the line and he's gonna want to get something in return, but, and as i say this i have to admit i've always been a Rick Nash fan, i hope if Howson doesn't get something he likes, that Nash is either forced to play, or sit. I'm so sick of multi-millionare NHLers being able to choose where they go. Sure, Nash has been everything CBJ could have asked for, but how is it he signed such a HUGE deal not that long ago, and now suddenly wants out? What did he see less than 3 years ago that made him willing to sign longterm in Columbus?
nuxfan Posted - 02/28/2012 : 11:16:04
quote:

Beans, i saw that last night and was quite surprised, especially at the timing. I figured if Nash did ask out, it wouldn't become public so quickly!

In a way, i don't blame Howson as he's prob feeling heat (locally) on the situation. CBJ fans are prob wondering what the heck is going on and he prob felt he had to defend his position. As for his trade value diminishing Nuxfan, which is what i assume you mean by the limited bidding war, is this necessarily the case? Yes, Howson is going to be sitting on an increasingly disgruntled asset, but Nash will quickly land in the Heatley-like range of spoiled NHLers if he's not careful. If there's any truth to the rumour that Nashville put up a serious bid for Rick Nash's services and he said no, then what's different about this and Heatley saying no to the Oilers??? Come summer, you're gonna have a guy making nearly 8 mil per season trying to dictate where he plays??? Not gonna look good for the Nash camp if he doesn't expand his list of teams he's willing to play for!

"CBJ fans"? All 10 of them?

Kidding aside, Columbus is not Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver, I don't think there would have been much pressure for Howson to explain himself in Columbus. So I'm not sure what it served - other than to seal the fate of Nash.

I don't think Nash has to be careful at this point - his GM basically threw him under the bus, the last 20 games of the season are probably going to be pretty uncomfortable for him, and him being back in Columbus next year at this point seems simply untenable. He's going to want out this summer, and it won't be a secret.

He has a list of 5 teams he's willing to go to, and therefore only 5 teams have to bid. You don't get your best bids if your bidding pool is small and the seller pretty much has to take one of them by September, so yes, I think his value has gone down. The only thing that might increase it is if he expands his list.
Alex116 Posted - 02/28/2012 : 10:46:55
Beans, i saw that last night and was quite surprised, especially at the timing. I figured if Nash did ask out, it wouldn't become public so quickly!

In a way, i don't blame Howson as he's prob feeling heat (locally) on the situation. CBJ fans are prob wondering what the heck is going on and he prob felt he had to defend his position. As for his trade value diminishing Nuxfan, which is what i assume you mean by the limited bidding war, is this necessarily the case? Yes, Howson is going to be sitting on an increasingly disgruntled asset, but Nash will quickly land in the Heatley-like range of spoiled NHLers if he's not careful. If there's any truth to the rumour that Nashville put up a serious bid for Rick Nash's services and he said no, then what's different about this and Heatley saying no to the Oilers??? Come summer, you're gonna have a guy making nearly 8 mil per season trying to dictate where he plays??? Not gonna look good for the Nash camp if he doesn't expand his list of teams he's willing to play for!
sahis34 Posted - 02/28/2012 : 10:08:49
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Since the name came up, how about;

To Edmonton - Jeff Carter

To Columbus - Ales Hemsky
2012 1st Round draft pick

Cap hit stays the same, Edmonton gets a trigger man with size and grit to play with Eberle and Hopkins.

Columbus gets a top 6 forward and what will probably be a top 3 pick.

?

carter wouldn't have have fetched the pick straight up . the oilers aren't moving that pick for anything less than a top pairing D-man.
Beans15 Posted - 02/28/2012 : 09:56:45
It was a hunch. It was actually Slozo's hunch originally and I agreed with it.

I gotta let me people know when I am right because it happens so rarely.
@valanche Posted - 02/28/2012 : 09:52:42
kudos. beans i know you said nash must have asked for a trade but i thought that was just a hunch.

as for howson... good on him for waiting to get the right pieces and a fair trade for rick nash.
however, the way he handled the situation and threw his star player under the bus on national television was disgraceful. if he had any intention of trying to keep nash past this summer he just ruined the chances of that happening.

66 is > than 99
Beans15 Posted - 02/28/2012 : 09:28:57
I didn't expect anything but somthing classy from Nash. He doesn't come across as a player that would be anything but classy.

The interesting thing to me is that he did not deny that he asked for the request. Frankly, I don't blame him at all. He risks being like Jarome Iginla if he doesn't leave. CBJ is at least 3 yrs from being a legit contender. Nash will be 30-31 by that time and his best years will most likely be behind him at that point.
nuxfan Posted - 02/28/2012 : 09:19:15
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
I guess we did figure out what happened. At least from one side of the table. CBJ is reporting that it was Nash who asked for the trade.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389007

eeks. what is Howson doing? What good can possibly come from this announcement? It all but guarantees that Nash will be traded this offseason, and the teams on his list just mean a limited bidding war. I don't understand why Howson would do this.

Nash's response was classy though.
Beans15 Posted - 02/28/2012 : 08:20:41
quote:

quote:
I doubt we will ever know for certain how things played out.

This last bit is important. It's obvious we both don't know for sure how it's come to be and we may never. But, there's a chance we might. If Nash has asked for a trade, his patience will wear thin with management if they can't get a deal done likely before next season. If Howson doesn't budge on his asking price, it's gonna take a pretty desperate team to be willing to give up the kind of assets he's asking for. If this doesn't happen at the deadline is it any more likely to happen in the offseason? I'd think not! That, is where i see a scenario in which one side or the other would eventually go public.

Again, to each their own, but i still think this is a situation whereby if he's not traded, you'll see a guy who's not disgruntled about playing there in the years to come. That's not the usual mood for a guy asking to be traded.

I guess we did figure out what happened. At least from one side of the table. CBJ is reporting that it was Nash who asked for the trade.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389007
Alex116 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 15:42:12
I too like the Pahlsson pickup, i just hope he's got something left in the tank. I heard he's 34 which isn't necessarily old and perhaps going from the last place team in the leauge, to the first will help get him fired up for the playoffs!

nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2012 : 12:38:34
wow. VAN trades Hodgson, for Zack Kassian. I am surprised that they got rid of Hodgson at this point in the year...he's been so clutch for VAN this season. Getting Kassian is exciting, but I don't know if I'm a fan of this deal, at this point in time.

They also traded Sulzer for Marc-Andre Gragnani with BUF, a young defenseman for a young defenseman.
Guest7752 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 12:34:45
quote:

Nashville added some offensive depth with Gaustad and Kostitsyn. This team might make some noise in the playoffs. They will be very tough to play against.

I also like the depth that Winik and Galiardi add to SJ.

TO adding Ashton could be a steal. TO has a pile of defensemen so to give up Aulie at the chance of Ashton being able to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL could be of value to the Leafs next year.

As usual, nothing to earth shaking at the trade deadline.

Mixed feelings about Ashton's move.
No doubt Ashton's got a bright future, but after seeing how Kadri & Reimer were treated in TO - I'm kind of worried about Wilson ruining Ashton next!
Beans15 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 12:25:47
Nashville added some offensive depth with Gaustad and Kostitsyn. This team might make some noise in the playoffs. They will be very tough to play against.

I also like the depth that Winik and Galiardi add to SJ.

TO adding Ashton could be a steal. TO has a pile of defensemen so to give up Aulie at the chance of Ashton being able to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL could be of value to the Leafs next year.

As usual, nothing to earth shaking at the trade deadline.
Guest5091 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 12:10:13
Rolston to Boston.. Think I saw Zanon to Boston as well.

Sounds like they'll be the ones coming out of the East again, depending on what they gave up for those depth guys.
nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2012 : 11:27:09
it seems that TB is collecting defensemen... Commodore, Lee, and Aulie all to TB for various bits back. What they really need is goaltending...

Crap, I see that CHI got Oduya. He would have been a good fit in VAN.
nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2012 : 11:25:13
quote:
I am scared of Vancouver with Pahlsson. It doesn't sound like much but he was one of the key puzzle pieces in ANA when they won the Cup.

Yeah, I agree. The one thing that stick in my mind about that ANA run was the tremendous shut down efforts they got from Pahlsson and Moen, they were absolutely instrumental in the series vs VAN that year and beyond. Like I said, I would have loved to get Moen - he has more offensive upside - but I certainly like the addition of Pahlsson.
Beans15 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 11:22:41
I'm on the fence about the Gilbert deal. I have never been a fan of him, don't like all the turnovers in the defensive end. However, I am not sure how much of an upgrade Schultz is if any at all. He's a more defensive player than Gilbert and with Whitney and Potter handling most of the offensive load from the back end, Gilbert became expendable.

I am scared of Vancouver with Pahlsson. It doesn't sound like much but he was one of the key puzzle pieces in ANA when they won the Cup. With the likes of Pahlsson, Malhotra and LaPierre the Canucks will be a very tough team for opposition forward to play and score against. I still think Van could use some depth at defense as there will most certainly be injuries in the playoffs. However, I see Detroit as their only competition in the West if they are healthy.

Effin Canucks.
nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2012 : 11:20:47
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93
What do you VAN fans think of the Sami Pahlsson deal?

Just saw it come over the wire, I like it. Mainly because we gave nothing up in return other than a couple of 4th round draft picks, but he's also the type of player that VAN needs. He's a great shut-down forward with some size, and will slot in well on the 3rd line. I would have preferred Moen, but he's injured right now.

Interesting - I was checking on his background on wikipedia, and did a double take, they have him listed at 6'6 and 280 lbs. I think that is incorrect, but if it isn't I'm super happy now - bring on Chara!
ryan93 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 11:07:52
There's finally some trades starting to trickle in. No big ones yet, but a few somewhat interesting moves so far. Hopefully there's lots of action in the next hour+.

That was the word last night, that the Rangers were out because the price was just too high. According to the TSN guys now though there is still a chance Nash could be dealt in the next hour, with one of their sources saying the likelihood is about 50/50. They mentioned that there is at least 1 team still pushing hard for a deal, as is the Nash camp.

What do you VAN fans think of the Sami Pahlsson deal?
mandree888 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 11:03:56
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

Mandree - while this trade looks good, Brown doesn't play centre. The Leafs need a first line centre between Kessel and Lupul, not a power winger.

Speaking of Lupul, I had heard on the radio this morning that Lupul was rumoured to be part of the package going back to CBJ in exchange for Nash.

o dear god i hope not. lupul is doing too good for the leafs to just up and trade him again.
and i am pretty sure that brown plays both RW and C?
nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2012 : 10:52:30
I heard on the radio this morning that the Rangers are indeed out of the Nash sweepstakes. Price too high. I agree with Beans, I don't think Nash will move at the deadline, its just too disruptive for the top teams to think about inserting that kind of player.

Mandree - while this trade looks good, Brown doesn't play centre. The Leafs need a first line centre between Kessel and Lupul, not a power winger.

Speaking of Lupul, I had heard on the radio this morning that Lupul was rumoured to be part of the package going back to CBJ in exchange for Nash.

Beans - any thoughts on the Oil trading Gilbert? I'm a bit surprised, he seemed to be part of the defensive core of the Oilers...
mandree888 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 10:42:47
so here is something to think about
to LAK
shenn
frattin
to TOR
Brown.

i dont think it will happen but thea leafs could use a gritty foward between lupul and kessel. making grabo expendable.
Beans15 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 07:12:59
Couple of things:

-I too expected Burke to make a move over the week end.
-I don't think you can fault the guest for making the comment about the Duchene for Kadri and Aulie. I honestly thought it was a joke when it was first posted.
-I didn't hear the Rangers were out??
-I don't think Nash moves. I think the price for him is simply too high.
-Typical boring trade deadline day to this point.
n/a Posted - 02/27/2012 : 06:10:58
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Slozo, do you really think the leafs will get Nash ??

I hope they do but i`m sure the leafs will lose out once again to some other team like the Rangers...as they always do.

I certainly wouldn`t part with Jake G.... as for the rest of them, make the deal.

If Burke can put together a youth deal which Col. would like...then make them take Komo. as a throw in, get rid of some cap.

Bet Nash ends up in NY or SJ

It's not like BRad Richards, I think, where we can "lose out" on Rick Nash. He is seriously being offered for a ludicrous payment back to Columbus, and so far, there have been no takers. The Rangers have basically communicated that they are out.

I think it's a staring contest right now between the Columbus GM and a couple of players, Leafs probably being the most prominent, but surely San Jose is in there too I think.

I don't think Burke will part with Gardiner. Leafs haven't had a defensive phenom with this much promise since a rookie Kaberle, and already, I like Gardiner better (shoots more, and his hockey savvy is already clos to where Kabby's high point was) already, in fact.

I was already wrong about Burke making some kind of bog splash on the weekend, but . . . I can't see him not making some kind of major move before the deadline today.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
n/a Posted - 02/27/2012 : 05:49:13
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5744

attention all leaf fans:

matt duchene is not available.
he is not available for komisarek, kadri, or any of your mediocre 3rd pairing defense.

gosh, some of the trade proposals posted on this site are down right embarrassing

Thanks for the commentary.

Why don't you embarrass me then with your informed opinion please . . . would love to hear your pearls of wisdom.

Guest5744 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 05:45:22
attention all leaf fans:

matt duchene is not available.
he is not available for komisarek, kadri, or any of your mediocre 3rd pairing defense.

gosh, some of the trade proposals posted on this site are down right embarrassing
ryan93 Posted - 02/27/2012 : 04:16:12
It's deadline day!

It's starting to look less & less like Nash will be moved. According to Darren Dregger, the Blue Jackets actually increased their demands yesterday & asked the Rangers for Dubinsky, one of Del Zotto or McDonagh, as well as a prospect & a 1st rounder.

Hopefully there are some deals today as I'll be watching the coverage all day!
The Duke Posted - 02/26/2012 : 18:17:50
Slozo, do you really think the leafs will get Nash ??

I hope they do but i`m sure the leafs will lose out once again to some other team like the Rangers...as they always do.

I certainly wouldn`t part with Jake G.... as for the rest of them, make the deal.

If Burke can put together a youth deal which Col. would like...then make them take Komo. as a throw in, get rid of some cap.

Bet Nash ends up in NY or SJ
Sensfan101 Posted - 02/26/2012 : 09:10:01
Sens have traded a 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft for St. Louis goalie Ben Bishop.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
n/a Posted - 02/25/2012 : 10:19:09
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

The Rangers have shipped Wojtek Wolski ($3.8 million cap hit, pending UFA) to the Florida Panthers for Mike Vernace & a 3rd round pick. Wolski is obviously a talented offensive player, but just wasn't a fit in NY. Hopefully things work out for him in Florida, and the moves creates even more cap space for the Rangers.

I'm getting a queasy stomach . . . this isn't a salary dump for a potential Rick Nash deal I hope? Why else would the top team need to get rid of Wolski, who was essentially a depth player?

Hopefully just a prelude to getting some toughness they needed, as opposed to another top scorer to compliment Gaborik. If the Rangers get Nash . . . I think the entire Eastern Conference (and league) is in trouble.

ryan93 Posted - 02/25/2012 : 10:04:45
The Rangers have shipped Wojtek Wolski ($3.8 million cap hit, pending UFA) to the Florida Panthers for Mike Vernace & a 3rd round pick. Wolski is obviously a talented offensive player, but just wasn't a fit in NY. Hopefully things work out for him in Florida, and the moves creates even more cap space for the Rangers.
nuxfan Posted - 02/24/2012 : 15:16:59
quote:

)I know how badly the Leafs and their fans want a post season berth, but i think if i were Burke, i'd be looking to make a trade that benefits me more next year than this year. IF it helps them make the playoffs this year, it's a bonus! I just don't see them beating any of the teams in the top 3 spots in a 7 game series. I know anything's possible once you're in, but i just don't see it.

Beans....i hadn't heard the "head case" description of JJ till now. I will say, i was extremely impressed with the comments he made to the media following the trade last night. Compared to the way Carter acted after he was traded to CBJ, the Jackets fans (all 10 of'em ) are gonna love him!

Johnson........
"I’m excited by this," Johnson said. "I’m excited to go a team that wants me and to play in a great sports city.
"I want to be part of the solution there. I know they’ve had some bad breaks and some tough seasons, but it’s going to be great when it turns around. Really, I don’t think there is anything sweeter in sports than being part of a team when they get it turned around."

Your Brown to Edm deal is intriguing. I think the Oilers would do well to get this guy even if the prospect you speak of was one of their better ones. Being captain in LA, Brown is obviously a leader and respected amongst his peers. You couldn't ask much more for the young core in Edm. Be interesting to see if LA is willing to deal him though? I know there'd be a lineup of teams trying to get a guy like him.

Sportsnet speculated on it yesterday (Brown being available), and the reasoning behind it was cap. I am skeptical of that - Brown is a pretty reasonable 3.1M cap hit, and they have 10M next year to sign just 3 players. Unless they're already looking forward to having to resign Quick, who is going to get a Rinne or Bryz type deal no doubt, and some others. But even then...LA is not in cap trouble.

So if its not cap reasons, why is LA moving Brown? He's a great player, lots of physical play and is good for 50-ish points a year, plus he's their captain - teams don't often trade their captain without some other reason.

So whats up with Brown in LA?
Alex116 Posted - 02/24/2012 : 12:34:52
)I know how badly the Leafs and their fans want a post season berth, but i think if i were Burke, i'd be looking to make a trade that benefits me more next year than this year. IF it helps them make the playoffs this year, it's a bonus! I just don't see them beating any of the teams in the top 3 spots in a 7 game series. I know anything's possible once you're in, but i just don't see it.

Beans....i hadn't heard the "head case" description of JJ till now. I will say, i was extremely impressed with the comments he made to the media following the trade last night. Compared to the way Carter acted after he was traded to CBJ, the Jackets fans (all 10 of'em ) are gonna love him!

Johnson........
"I’m excited by this," Johnson said. "I’m excited to go a team that wants me and to play in a great sports city.
"I want to be part of the solution there. I know they’ve had some bad breaks and some tough seasons, but it’s going to be great when it turns around. Really, I don’t think there is anything sweeter in sports than being part of a team when they get it turned around."

Your Brown to Edm deal is intriguing. I think the Oilers would do well to get this guy even if the prospect you speak of was one of their better ones. Being captain in LA, Brown is obviously a leader and respected amongst his peers. You couldn't ask much more for the young core in Edm. Be interesting to see if LA is willing to deal him though? I know there'd be a lineup of teams trying to get a guy like him.
Beans15 Posted - 02/24/2012 : 09:20:26
Slozo, I think you might be sleeping still.

Let's face it, Kadri is a bust. He is one of the few guys from his draft class who was drafted in the 1st round and hasn't cracked his teams line up. And it's not like the Leafs have had a powerhouse group of forwards that would make it hard to crack the line up. Kadri (from what I have watched) looks outclassed in the NHL.

Aulie is a nice player, but for the Leafs to get their hands on a 21 yr old with 147 pts in 200 NHL games it's going to cost more than a bust prospect and a defensemen with the potential to be a solid #3-4 guy.

Burke is not that good to literally steal Matt Duchene. That deal is not even close.
n/a Posted - 02/24/2012 : 09:07:46
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4350

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

My best guess? First, bet it's not Nash (too expensive, contract too long and unweildy). Yeah, I'll jump on the Dustin Brown train, sure. And that could be gotten for Schenn (to replace the newly departed JJ) and another good prospect mentioned.

My next guesses? Someone not talked about previously - whether it's a Stastny from Colorado, Derek Roy, or some other top flite center or top 6 big power forward.

Sorry if Nash is too expensive at $7.8M how is Roy or Statsny with statistically lower production and a cap at $4M and $6.7M any better?

Stastny and Roy are both centre's - something that TOR needs perhaps more than anything. Either one of them would instantly slide into the top line in TOR.

Derek Roy has been mentioned in trade deadline deals - but BUF hasn't signalled as to whether or not they are buyers or sellers this year - once they do there could be a lot of movement from them. I don't see Roy as a "game changer", but he'd be a solid pickup, at least for one more year.

Paul Statsny, I don't think he's going anywhere. There were rumours that he was on the outs this time last year, especially with the emergence of Matt Duschene. Skip forward another year, and Duschene has not had a great year - injuries mainly - while Statsny has kept pace. It would not surprise me to see them try to keep both and build a strong 1-2 centre group. Duschene is RFA after this year, he'll probably see a raise up to the 5M range.

On a side note - WTF is up with Colorado? They only have 5 players under contract for next year - Stastny, Landeskog, Kobasew, Hejda, O'Byrne, Varlamov. Only 2 of them are under contract beyond next year...capgeek shows them as having 69M in cap space at the trade deadline.

Ooh, then I'll change my prediction to Matt Duchene. Yes, especially with that big raise coming in Colorado, and him underperforming . . . it's all there for a move.

Duchene to Toronto (Colorado keeps the much cheaper Ryan O'Reilly on board as second line centre)

Aulie, Kadri to Colorado

Everyone's happy!

Beans15 Posted - 02/24/2012 : 09:03:16
A couple of points:

-I think Johnson for Carter straight up was a good deal. I think the 1st round pick makes this a win for CBJ.
-Johnson is apparently a head case in his own right and it's something similar to Lindros. Apparently his Daddy runs everything and he has already been sued by his former agent. CBJ might be a good place for this kid.
-Man will Philly ever have egg on their face if LA finds a way to win the Cup with the Toxic Twins.
-I agree with Slozo that Burke is going to make a move. However, I disagree that it will be at the cost of Schenn. I still think the guy is a stud shutdown type player. He's is far too young and far too good to move. Frankly, every team in the NHL (other than TO) would love to have their top shutdown player as a plus player and able to add 25-30 pts a season. Too bad the uneducated TO fan is so fickle. Schenn is a puzzle piece that every team needs to win a Cup. Burke will not move him. Now, Gardiner, Colburne, and Kadri?? Those guys are a different story. I like Gardiner as well, but how many Gardiner type players do the Leafs need. With Phaneuf and Liles locked up for the forseeable future, Gardiner becomes expendable, especially if Burke can get a top line centre out of the deal.
-With all this talk about Nash and Carter, I think the TO fans are missing the point of what makes their team weak. It's called defense. Sure, an experienced keeper like Khabibulin would be a great fit, but how about a defensive forward that can help shutdown the other team??? I like Moen going to TO. He has history with Burke, is a leader, and has won the Cup as a shutdown-3rd line guy.
-The Oilers are still looking to lock down Hemsky but with Carter in LA and Brown available, there might be a deal cooking between Edmonton and LA. Hemsky and a prospect for Brown sounds good. The Kings get a rental they can likely resign and fits well as another playmaking type of forward while the Oilers get a physical forward to help protect the kids as well as put points on the board. I like that deal a lot for both teams. Who that prospect piece going to LA would make or break that deal.
nuxfan Posted - 02/24/2012 : 08:30:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4350

quote:

My best guess? First, bet it's not Nash (too expensive, contract too long and unweildy). Yeah, I'll jump on the Dustin Brown train, sure. And that could be gotten for Schenn (to replace the newly departed JJ) and another good prospect mentioned.

My next guesses? Someone not talked about previously - whether it's a Stastny from Colorado, Derek Roy, or some other top flite center or top 6 big power forward.

Sorry if Nash is too expensive at $7.8M how is Roy or Statsny with statistically lower production and a cap at $4M and $6.7M any better?

Stastny and Roy are both centre's - something that TOR needs perhaps more than anything. Either one of them would instantly slide into the top line in TOR.

Derek Roy has been mentioned in trade deadline deals - but BUF hasn't signalled as to whether or not they are buyers or sellers this year - once they do there could be a lot of movement from them. I don't see Roy as a "game changer", but he'd be a solid pickup, at least for one more year.

Paul Statsny, I don't think he's going anywhere. There were rumours that he was on the outs this time last year, especially with the emergence of Matt Duschene. Skip forward another year, and Duschene has not had a great year - injuries mainly - while Statsny has kept pace. It would not surprise me to see them try to keep both and build a strong 1-2 centre group. Duschene is RFA after this year, he'll probably see a raise up to the 5M range.

On a side note - WTF is up with Colorado? They only have 5 players under contract for next year - Stastny, Landeskog, Kobasew, Hejda, O'Byrne, Varlamov. Only 2 of them are under contract beyond next year...capgeek shows them as having 69M in cap space at the trade deadline.
Guest4350 Posted - 02/24/2012 : 06:33:48
quote:

n/a Posted - 02/24/2012 : 06:07:01
Well, Carter is gone, and all the Toronto radio stations are going nuts about how we could have had Carter instead if only we had ponied up! And, Toronto keeps losing, and is now out of the playoffs, with a lower than 50% chance of making it in at this point.

I mention this, because I think every non-Toronto fam on this site needs to know this: the pressure in Toronto for Burke to swing some "game-changing deal" just got ratcheted up another notch, above the setting for "let's all jump off a cliff if the Leafs miss the playoffs again". Everyone at work talks about it. Every news-only radio station mentions it. It is pervasive.

So, I will make a bold prediction right now - Burke will make a big deal this weekend, probably right after the Sat night game against Washington, possibly even tonight. Less likely on Sunday, but . . . certainly before Monday.

Could be Nash, could be another player, but . . . it'll be a top 6 forward, or a goalie of significance (Nabakov, Khabibulin, etc.) And . . . Burke may be finally forced to do what he really has tried his utmost best not to do - deal some promising youth (hopefully not Gardiner, but certainly Schenn, Colborne, Scrivens, and of course Kadri, Frattin, etc would all be in that group).

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page