Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Quincey, Downie, & 1st rounder

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest5744 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 06:16:41
Three team trade yesterday:

To Colorado:
- Steve Downie

To Tampa:
- Kyle Quincey

Then...

To Detriot:
- Kyle Quincey

To Tampa:
- Detroit 2012 first round draft pick
- Sebastien Piche

POLL: 'Which Team Gets What They Need The Most From This Trade?"
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
@valanche Posted - 02/22/2012 : 13:00:36
let me know if this makes sense or not:

the avs could have gotten more for quincey than just downie.
the lightning could have gotten more for downie than a 1st rounder.

in terms of value it probably goes:

if colorado felt the first round draft pick had any value tampa would not have been necessary in the trade. the avalanche reason for not just taking the draft pick was either a 'win now' attitude or simply they feel it is a weak draft class.

66 is > than 99
Alex116 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 11:47:00
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5744

from what i've read sherman wasn't interested in getting the first rounder from detroit. the three way deal was likely worked out between the teams since tampa had nothing detroit wanted.

piche is a lifer in the ahl so it boils down to quincey for downie and quincey for a late first rounder. for me it comes down to who resigns with the new team. colorado let fleischmann walk last year if they do that with downie its a garbage trade. the first rounder likely takes at least three years before we see in the nhl possibly longer if tampa takes a goalie like they are rumoured to. it will be interesting to see quincey's reaction since he was waived by detroit a couple years ago.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with RFA's and not UFA's. Even if Col or Det can't resign these guys, they are somewhat protected in the whole "offer sheet" world!
Guest5744 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 09:51:07
from what i've read sherman wasn't interested in getting the first rounder from detroit. the three way deal was likely worked out between the teams since tampa had nothing detroit wanted.

piche is a lifer in the ahl so it boils down to quincey for downie and quincey for a late first rounder. for me it comes down to who resigns with the new team. colorado let fleischmann walk last year if they do that with downie its a garbage trade. the first rounder likely takes at least three years before we see in the nhl possibly longer if tampa takes a goalie like they are rumoured to. it will be interesting to see quincey's reaction since he was waived by detroit a couple years ago.
Alex116 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 07:45:03
I say Colorado. I think they got the guy who's currently the best player in the deal in Downie. I would have liked to see the Canucks get him.

As far as Quincey is concerned, i haven't seen a lot of him, but everything i've read leads me to believe he's a depth defenseman who will be in Det's 3rd pairing, making him a 5-6 there. A trade of needs really as the Wings have all but stated they overpaid slightly but had to in this sellers market.

I know nothing about the prospect the Wings sent to TB with the pick but the pick will be in the high 20's so nothing too crazy. I think TB actually got the worst end of the deal, but with draft picks, you never know. They could hit gold!

Slozo....from what i've read, Holland contacted Greg Sherman (Col) regarding Quincey but they couldn't agree on a price. Stevie Y then contacted Holland and told him he could get Quincey out of Col for Downie but wanted to know if Holland was willing to give up their first rounder for him? No idea if the first rounder was offered to Col and Sherman declined, but it's quite possible?

mandree888 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 07:37:48
fair enough nuxfan i was not aware of quincey's age and thought more of the trade as a bandaid for the playoffs not a long term thing.
nuxfan Posted - 02/22/2012 : 07:35:06
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

so i voted TB because even though Detroit and Colorado got what they wanted TB is the only team in this trade that is thinking long term with the prospect and draft choice. that was my only reason fro picking TB

Quincey is only 26 years old - I think that shows "long term thinking", he has a long career in front of him. And unlike prospects and draft picks, he has shown he can produce at the NHL level. He is also a known commodity to DET, as they drafted him in 2003.
nuxfan Posted - 02/22/2012 : 07:32:28
I think DET as well. Lidstrom is staring down the barrel of retirement, if not this year then after next season, and after Kronwall, there is little not much in the way of offensively capable defensemen in the stable. While Quincy is certainly a far cry from Lidstrom, he provides that puck moving offensive defenseman, capable of QB'ing the powerplay and playing 20+ minutes a game. I'm not sure why he fell out of favour in COL, but for whatever reason, he's a good (and will be reasonably priced) young defenseman for DET.

Slozo - it could also be that COL didn't want the first rounder + Piche in exchange for Quincey, but did want Downie.
mandree888 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 07:28:32
so i voted TB because even though Detroit and Colorado got what they wanted TB is the only team in this trade that is thinking long term with the prospect and draft choice. that was my only reason fro picking TB
n/a Posted - 02/22/2012 : 06:46:03
I say Detroit.

Now, I think the trade is quite an even one all around, but realistically, for a top contender to get what they want may mean a Stanley Cup, so it goes to Detroit, hands down.

The question for me is, did Detroit manufacture this trade to get around having to deal with Colorado, who probably didn't want to deal their young d-man to a top contender in the same conference? That to me is the interesting 'behind the scenes' action I'd like to know . . . but certainly, Steve Yzerman has to be using his Detroit contacts as well. And easy to deal with a team in a different conference (like we have seen with Burke and Anaheim).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page