Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Flames Rebuild

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8622 Posted - 02/26/2012 : 08:53:34
So the saddest organization in the "hallowed" NHL just lost last night, basically solidifying there spot once again outside the playoff picture for the season. Their fat GM, who might I add never played hockey, is looking to rebuild their sad excuse for a team. He has no hope at rebuilding it, cause just look at the organization... No one would want to go there. This sad excuse for a sports team hasn't won anything and don't deserve to be in the NHL. Any ideas on how they're going to unsuccessfully rebuild?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 02/26/2012 : 18:41:41
Topic ??...What rebuild ?
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2012 : 18:41:04
I didn't read this as being from an angry Oiler fan. I read this coming from a frustrated Flames fan. Not all Flames fans are the glass half full type like Leigh. Other see the Flames in some trouble.

Please keep this thread on track. If you want to argue the comparison of the Oilers and Flames, make a new thread. This is a legitimate thread asking opinions of what the Flames should/could do in the future.
Guest0262 Posted - 02/26/2012 : 14:48:12
Please name 20 legendary oilers.

This topic would be legitimate if you didn't start it by throwing out phrases like "fat GM", "sad excuse for a team" and "don't deserve to be in the nhl". Obviously it is just mindless hate rant from probably an Oilers fan with a team who has finished dead last in the league the last two years and will be at the bottom again this year.

As for the rebuilt situation, the Flames do have 13 contracts coming off the books next year. With the team they have now, coming as close as they are to a playoff spot, they will have their hands free this summer to make some changes. They won't need to go the route of the Oilers where they have to suck for many years to get first overall picks because no one wants to actually sign there.
leigh Posted - 02/26/2012 : 14:31:16
It's one year too early for a rebuild. They are only 1 point out of a playoff spot with 20 games remaining and could feasibly jump as high as 6th and maybe even 5th by the season's end. They have lost a significant amount of man-games since Christmas due to injury. Keep in mind that they have 3 core guys returning within days (including Glencross last night)

They'll make the rebuilding decision by trade deadline next year. At this time they have as much of a chance as anybody else that is currently in 11th to 5th spot in both conferences.

As for Feaster, I don't think his weight has anything to do with his ability to GM a team guest 8622 but maybe you are aware of some science study that I have not heard of. I agree with Beans on his comment that Feaster has done a lot considering where he stepped in last season (the team appeared to be completely demoralized and unmotivated) Feaster's a proven winner and I believe he has made some good moves and now wants to see what this team can do if it is not injured. Hopefully we'll find out over the next 6 weeks.

Interestingly they have a ton of 1 goal games and have lost in OT and the shootout 11 times and only won 4 times. They are in the games, they just need to make some tweaks. WIth a few good bounces they could easily have another 5 or 6 points. I know, "woulda, coulda, shoulda" but my point is simple - it's not time to blow things up, it's time to tinker. If that doesn't work you'll see them rebuild at the 12/13 trade deadline before Iginla becomes a UFA.

Clatts Posted - 02/26/2012 : 13:32:38
Yeah a long long long long time ago you won a bunch of cups. You had they best player to play the game and you didn't even acquire though the draft. It would be like Calgary signing Malkin or Crosby rather than getting them in the draft and winning a bunch of cups..you should have an * beside your cup wins.

Anyway have fun being in the basement of the league for another couple decades.

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
Guest8875 Posted - 02/26/2012 : 12:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by Clatts

The saddest organization in the NHL? Are you joking? Why would a team 1 point out of the playoffs need to rebuild?

Never won anything? 89' Stanley Cup and a couple of division titles

No one would want to go there? you joking again..right?

I assume your an Oiler fan since you have such hate for Calgary and in that case I believe your post describes Edmonton perfectly.

Saddest organization? Finished last 2 years in a row

Never won anything? Sure the Edmonton Gretzkys were good but in the last 20 years the Oilers have never played in a playoff series that they were the favourite

No one would want to go there? Whats the last big name or decent talent the signed there as a free agent?

Don Cherry on Visors

The team needs a rebuild because they haven't made the playoffs since 05-06. I believe they have been about 1 point out every year. So maybe being 1 point out for the last 6 yrs is something to be proud of....
Who cares about favorites lasttime Edmonton and Calgary both went to the playoffs Calgary was out first round and Edmonton went to game 7 of the finals.
Who was the last big name free agent to sign with the Flames??
Yah I didnt think anyone would come to mind.
You say 'saddest organization? finished last 2 yrs in a row'
I say 'Fastest winning NHL team in history'
Edmonton Cups = 5
Calgary Cups = 1
I think I can name about 20 Legendary Oilers and about 2 Legendary Flames. How many banners are hanging in your Calgary rafters? So if you want to make this about Oilers vs Flames, well Oil has got you beat everytime. And if your gonna keep talking I suppose Edmonton's coach can just rip out your mascot's tongue. Enough said...
nuxfan Posted - 02/26/2012 : 11:52:01
quote:
Originally posted by Clatts

The saddest organization in the NHL? Are you joking? Why would a team 1 point out of the playoffs need to rebuild?

Because they seem to be perpetually 1 point outside the playoffs. They manage to finish between 9th and 11th in the conference nearly every year. They're going nowhere fast, have little in the cupboard, meanwhile the core of their team keeps getting older every year. Where is this team without Iginla and Kipper?

Besides an underdog cup run in 2004, Calgary has done very little since the mid-90's. Are they just destined for mediocrity until they get rid of all those contracts?
Clatts Posted - 02/26/2012 : 10:19:24

Never won anything? 89' Stanley Cup and a couple of division titles

No one would want to go there? you joking again..right?

I assume your an Oiler fan since you have such hate for Calgary and in that case I believe your post describes Edmonton perfectly.

Saddest organization? Finished last 2 years in a row

Never won anything? Sure the Edmonton Gretzkys were good but in the last 20 years the Oilers have never played in a playoff series that they were the favourite

No one would want to go there? Whats the last big name or decent talent the signed there as a free agent?

Don Cherry on Visors
Beans15 Posted - 02/26/2012 : 09:03:43
That 'fat GM' who has never played hockey did build a Cup winning team in TB. I also think he has been able to do more than I expected.

Here are the issues with Calgary:

-one of the oldest teams in the NHL
-one of the highest payrolls in the NHL
-the most no trade/no movement clause contracts in the NHL.

The reason Calgary is where they are is poor management before Feester arrived. Suter made bad trades for draft picks to ensure they did not have any talent coming down the pipe. The Flames also finished around the middle of the league for a decade to ensure they didn't get top tier draft talent. Then, they gave large contracts with no movement clauses to players on the back side of their prime.

So the answer, unfortunately for Flames fans, is time. They have a number of overpaid assets that are hard to move and if they do find a way to move them, the player can nix the deal. They need to ride out the end of a number of those contract, have a few years of futilty to fill up the cupboard with talent, then they need smart management to make the right personnel decisions to start making a push. Frankly, look at TO. Burke arrived, gutted, is still riding out a few contracts, but that team is improving each year. Edmonton has started on a similar path but is not at the current level of TO. FLA also did the same thing al beit, much faster than Edmonton or TO.

Time heals all wounds.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page