Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Mikhail Grabovski to a five-year, $27.5 million co

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4629 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 10:25:50
Garbage garbovski isnt worth a Bag of Pucks How the heck do's he get a Contract like that ...

He is Terrible .. Brian Burke is a Moron ...
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 03/09/2012 : 09:55:43
Are you trying to say that Crosby's worth is $8.7 million playing with Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis and it would be $16.4 million if he was playing with Malkin and Stamkos????

A player's value is based on his play. Stats are symptoms of a number of things, including line mates, team, systems, etc. A great player will produce better numbers when playing with better players. They will produce less when playing with lesser players. But that does not change the value of that player.

Lee Marshall Posted - 03/09/2012 : 08:51:25
Sorry Beans...fact is fact...stats are stats...You think anyone on the Penguins would be having a better year if Sid was playing? You think anyone with the Caps would be having a better year if OV was on his game? You think the Red Wings would be slipping as much if their Captain was playing?

And we'll better be able to debate Grabovski's contract and his worth at the end of the 2016-17 season.

He's surely given them quite a bit more value than the 2.8 mil...or whatever it is he's currently getting...salary would imply.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Beans15 Posted - 03/09/2012 : 08:08:02
The Leaf nation can argue until they are blue in the face (pun intended) about Kulemin and the effect o Grabovski.

Bottom line, Grabovski STILL isn't worth $5.5 million.
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/09/2012 : 05:49:02
I'd guess that they've been together around 70% of the time.

Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2012 : 22:00:08
Have they been playing together all season though??? I'm pretty sure i've seen them playing on different lines a few times, but i could be wrong. I really don't watch the Leafs all that much.
n/a Posted - 03/08/2012 : 19:26:18
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Marshall

Alex/Beans...That IS the point. Grabo is doing what he's doing in spite of the fact that he's NOT getting anywhere near the points through Kulemin who has been part of that line for most of the season. So...losing out on maybe 15 point or so that he had last season through Nik's 30 goals suggests that he's picked up the slack in spite of it.

A 2 man line, at least in terms of production, doesn't afford the 3 players the same chance to succeed. McArthur's numbers are down as a result. So Grabovski is doing rather well given the downturn in opportunity.

I would say Grabo is doing extremely well, given the opportunity loss from Kulemin's poor year. If Kulemin was even in the same ballpark as last year, that's at least 10 more assists, maybe a goal or two more. That's huge . . . it's a whole tier above where he's at now, points-wise.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/08/2012 : 10:06:40
Alex/Beans...That IS the point. Grabo is doing what he's doing in spite of the fact that he's NOT getting anywhere near the points through Kulemin who has been part of that line for most of the season. So...losing out on maybe 15 point or so that he had last season through Nik's 30 goals suggests that he's picked up the slack in spite of it.

A 2 man line, at least in terms of production, doesn't afford the 3 players the same chance to succeed. McArthur's numbers are down as a result. So Grabovski is doing rather well given the downturn in opportunity.

Guest4178 Posted - 03/08/2012 : 09:41:42
Guest 4174 raises a good point – Lupul currently makes $4.25 million, and he has one more year remaining at the same figure.

Kessel makes $5.4 million a season, and he has two more years remaining in his deal before he becomes a UFA.

I know both deals were signed before these players exploded statistically, but what is the message to Kessel, now that Grabovski is paid more than him next season.

It becomes a game of leap-frog – when you start overpaying for players, you end up paying more for other players later on, and then you run into cap problems.

To think that Grabovski is now the highest paid forward on the Leafs is a bit mind-boggling.
Beans15 Posted - 03/08/2012 : 09:34:26
Hey Slozo, I agree that Grabovksi is a quality player on both sides of the puck and has little quit in his game. I appreciate that in a player as to others. But that does not change the value of him. My point from the start had nothing to do with the quality of player Grabovski is nor that he is not an important cog in the TO machine. I simply believe he is overpaid by a million a season or the length of his deal is about 3 yrs too long based on the annual salary.

And Lee, I think you might be missing something on his stats being down on last season. As of today, he is on pace for the same number of points (58) as last season, 3 fewer goals and 3 more assits. So, the point of Kulemin's reduced stats doesn't really make sense. In fact, that should show an increase in Grabovksi's value over last season.
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2012 : 09:01:27
Lee, aren't Grabo's points on about the same pace as last season, even with Kulemin's struggles? I know they prob haven't been linemates all year, but Grabo seems to be on par with last season.

Slozo...i asked earlier and no one responded but didn't Grabo make it somewhat clear that he liked it in Toronto and would like to stay? If that's the case, i'd have thought Burke could have let him test the market and match what was offered or up it slightly. If he only got 4.75 mil offers, the Leafs could have given him 5 to keep him happy and that would have saved them .5 for five years!

I know you need centers, but i think i'd have preferred to see them go after a big ticket like Parise with that money (yes, i know it will take more than that for Parise, but you get what i'm saying).
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/08/2012 : 05:55:09
Last season...Grabo's linemate Nik Kulemin had what 30 goals? And this year? 7. Mikhail had 29 assists. So he virtually assisted on all of Kuli's goals.

This year we've seen Nik almost snakebit. Lots of chances. Loads of near misses and inopportune bounces and deflections. He should end up with close to the same number of assists as last season but...if the first 67 games are an indication...he'll only pot 9 or 10 goals. That, based on last year, is a significant dent in production and the entire line has suffered because of it.

THAT has had an real and negative impact on Grabo's stats in 2011-12?

Now Nik is off the line and Mik is rolling again. It is a direct tie to the discussion at hand...and certainly not Grabovski's fault.

n/a Posted - 03/08/2012 : 04:44:34
I still think the Leafs and Burke were somewhat "forced" to pay out a good deal to Grabovski, possibly one slightly above what he should get . . . but you guys have convinced me now, upon further review.

You're right - he would have gotten close to 5 mil on the free market for the right team; and he's worth about 4.5 based on his production and position.

So, the Leafs did overpay by quite a bit. I will concede this point.

ALL THAT BEING SAID,
What many non-Leaf fans may not get, is Grabovski's tireless work ethic; he is pretty good defensively; he loves Toronto and thrives under the pressure; he's durable; and he does have top end skill where he creates things out of nothing at times, and is the kind of player that will occasionally win a game for your team.

No, he's probably never going to be that 80 point player . . . but he's definitely a guy you'd want on your team. He's a guy you want your young guys to model themselves after, in terms of how to approach the game, enthusiasm, effort, etc.

All of which may have come into play in regards to the overpayment . . . if I was to make excuses for it.

Guest4174 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 21:01:16
Here's some food for thought : 5.5mil for a 58 pts best season, how much will Lupul get based on that signing?
Alex116 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 14:32:08
quote:
Originally posted by Stamkos a Hab
........and Grabovski that is flying way below the radar seems like the best one to trade

I don't think he's tradeable now to be honest with you, and that's part of the problem i have with this deal. It all goes back to term. 5 years? That's the mistake the Oilers made with Horcoff and they've been saddled with his deal since. Grabo is a guy who's yet to reach the 60pts plateau (though he might this year?), but has never even had a 30 goal year!

I get the "there's not much out there" argument, but i still didn't see Grabo fetching more than 5 mil on the open market!
Stamkos a Hab Posted - 03/07/2012 : 12:29:11
The 2nd line C is tottaly bogus with the act that Toronto's depth is at C. The Centers that Toronto have: Connoly, Lombardi, Steckel, Bozak, Kadri, Phillip Dupuis and Colborne. All with both NHL experience (at least one game played) and the potential to play in the NHL. With guys like these then Toronto have to move some of them and Grabovski that is flying way below the radar seems like the best one to trade

Sucks 2 be the rest of ya
Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 09:47:56
Lee, I disagree. Strongly disagree. When did Backes sign?? Late last season. What did Neal sign for this season, who is on pace to be a far better point producer? Hemsky signed for $5 million but over just 2 years. Chris Kunitz, Martin Hanzel, and Rich Peverly all signed for less than $4 million and they are not all that far off from Grabovksi.

Consider the other guys who are making around $5.5 million and I think Grabovksi is likely a step down on all of them. They include Martin St. Louis, Bobby Ryan, Patrice Bergeron, Marian Hossa, Cory Perry, and Ryan Getzlaf.

No disrespect, but Grabovksi does not hold a candle to any of those guys. I still stand on that I think he is $1 million overpaid each year for a 5 yr deal.
nuxfan Posted - 03/07/2012 : 09:46:19
Some additional info for slozo's comparables:

Krejci - is currently earning 3.25, however signed an extension that kicks in starting next year at 5.25M per year for 3 years. He was a pending RFA

Backes - is in the first year of his 5yr/22.5M deal paying 4.5M per season. Backes signed this deal as a pending UFA, same as Grabo.

Pavelski - went over him before. he also signed as a pending RFA.

The Backes comparison is a good one, I had missed him - similar ages and productions, and I do believe he plays on the second line in STL. Krejci I didn't pick as he is BOS's first line centre.
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/07/2012 : 08:33:01
"If we are using the likes of Backes, Krecji, and Pavelski as the comparables in today's market, Grabovksi's contract is still a 20% overpayment. 20% is a gross overpayment in my opinion. 5% is slight, 10% is excessive, 20% is gross, 30%+(Horcoff level) is time for a new GM."

We're not...at least I'm not...using those examples Beans. Krecji's deal is the most recent but I'd wager it was handed out based on different criteria.

Grabo got paid what the going rate WILL become. And it doesn't kick in 'til 2012-13. If what's available makes HIM the BEST guy available...the dollars would have risen...regardless of who was paying.

AND...based on the last 2 seasons I'd say Grabo was UNDERPAID previously. THIS "overpayment" at least in part balances those books and pays him for past performances as well as futures.

Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 08:16:28
So maybe this argument is the definition of 'slight' overpayment. As I said (and agree with Alex on), I see Grabovski as a $4.5 million/season guy. Much like Backes. So $5.5 million is a 20% overpayment.

What is the definition of NHL inflation?? Consider that Horcoff signed his deal when the in 2008 the Cap was $56.7 million and when Grabovski signed his deal the Cap is $64.3 million. That's a 12% increase. If that is the inflation we are talking about, Horcoff's deal at $5.5 million would be comparable to $6.16 million today.

Ok, so we established that Horcoff's deal was MORE of an overpayment than Grabovksi's deal. I won't argue that. Back in 2008, using the 12% increase compared to today, Horcoff's deal at $4.8 million would have been an overpayment as well. Horcoff was likely worth about $4 million(at the time) which is comparable to where I think Grabovksi is at $4.5 million today. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can not consider that Horcoff has been a worse player since the deal. At the same point in time, using this inflation calculation, Horcoff was overpaid by more than Grabovski. Agreed???

Unfortuantely, Horcoff getting overpaid by more does not make Grabovksi's overpayment 'slight.' It makes Horcoffs's contract even more disgusting.

If we are using the likes of Backes, Krecji, and Pavelski as the comparables in today's market, Grabovksi's contract is still a 20% overpayment. 20% is a gross overpayment in my opinion. 5% is slight, 10% is excessive, 20% is gross, 30%+(Horcoff level) is time for a new GM.
Alex116 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:54:50
Slozo, you nailed it right there as far as the comparison to Horcoff goes. 5.5 back when Horcoff signed is likely comparable to at the very least 6+ now. However, at least Horcoff was coming off a 70 point season and i'm sure the Oilers expected more of those.

Compare this to ANYONE out there and i still think it's more than just a slight overpayment. 4.5 / year would have been what i pegged him at and i don't think there are many teams out there who'd have offered him in the 5's. I understand the whole limited UFA's this year but c'mon, that's no reason to go and overpay a guy this much! Make a trade for a #2 center with the money you save off not giving this guy such a ridiculous deal (let's not forget term here!).

Here we had Burke yapping at the deadline about how the asking prices were ridiculously high and that he wouldn't be a buyer and over pay, blah, blah, blah and now this??? As each day passes, i'm more and more shocked at this deal.
n/a Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:21:24
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Slozo, I completely disagree with your opinion and let me explain why:

If you read what I said, Horcoff was comparable to Grabovski when he signed his deal. Not today. Today, Grabovksi is the player I would take comparing the two. Younger, more goal scoring, I get it. However, my point is looking at the two players when they signed their deals.

Let me take you back in time:

Shawn Horcoff
03/04 - 80gms - 15 g, 25 a - 40 pts
05/06 - 79 gms - 22 g, 51 a - 73 pts
06-07 - 80 gms - 16 g, 35 a - 51 pts
07-08 - 53 gms - 21 g, 29 a - 50 pts

Total - 292 gms - 74 g, 140 a - 214 pts (0.73 PPG)

Mikal Grabovksi
08/09 - 78 gms - 20 g, 28 a - 48 pts
09/10 - 59 gms - 10 g, 25 a - 35 pts
10/11 - 81 gms - 29 g, 29 a - 58 pts
11-12 - 60 gms - 21 g, 25 a - 46 pts

Total - 248 gms - 80 g, 107 a - 187 pts (0.75 PPG)

Both were 28 when they signed a multi-year deal for more than $5 million per season.

At the same age and comparable history when they signed their contracts you can not argue they are not comparable. That is where I fail to appreciate that Grabovski's deal is a slight overpayment when I think anyone would agree that Horcoff (even at the time) was grossly overpaid.

Krejci and Pavelski signed their deals at 25 yrs old, not 28. Backes is closer at 27 yrs old, signed this season, and signed for $1 million/season less over the same length of agreement. Grabovksi is not a slight overpayment, a large overpayment. A million dollar a season overpayment.

This also sets a bit of a presedent with the Leafs. When Kessel is due in 2 years, what's he going to ask for? What about Lupul as a #1 line player???

Sorry Slozo, I just can't get there on this being a 'slight' overpayment. We may have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough - and I get what you are saying - but put Horcoff's deal in today's inflationary terms, not from three years ago, and then tell me what a gross overpayment Grabo's deal is.

Guest9295 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:17:16
Can you say Scot Gomez all over again. Only a die hard Leaf fan would think this is a good deal. Its time too seriously look at replacing Burke.
Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:06:03
Slozo, I completely disagree with your opinion and let me explain why:

If you read what I said, Horcoff was comparable to Grabovski when he signed his deal. Not today. Today, Grabovksi is the player I would take comparing the two. Younger, more goal scoring, I get it. However, my point is looking at the two players when they signed their deals.

Let me take you back in time:

Shawn Horcoff
03/04 - 80gms - 15 g, 25 a - 40 pts
05/06 - 79 gms - 22 g, 51 a - 73 pts
06-07 - 80 gms - 16 g, 35 a - 51 pts
07-08 - 53 gms - 21 g, 29 a - 50 pts

Total - 292 gms - 74 g, 140 a - 214 pts (0.73 PPG)

Mikal Grabovksi
08/09 - 78 gms - 20 g, 28 a - 48 pts
09/10 - 59 gms - 10 g, 25 a - 35 pts
10/11 - 81 gms - 29 g, 29 a - 58 pts
11-12 - 60 gms - 21 g, 25 a - 46 pts

Total - 248 gms - 80 g, 107 a - 187 pts (0.75 PPG)

Both were 28 when they signed a multi-year deal for more than $5 million per season.

At the same age and comparable history when they signed their contracts you can not argue they are not comparable. That is where I fail to appreciate that Grabovski's deal is a slight overpayment when I think anyone would agree that Horcoff (even at the time) was grossly overpaid.

Krejci and Pavelski signed their deals at 25 yrs old, not 28. Backes is closer at 27 yrs old, signed this season, and signed for $1 million/season less over the same length of agreement. Grabovksi is not a slight overpayment, a large overpayment. A million dollar a season overpayment.

This also sets a bit of a presedent with the Leafs. When Kessel is due in 2 years, what's he going to ask for? What about Lupul as a #1 line player???

Sorry Slozo, I just can't get there on this being a 'slight' overpayment. We may have to agree to disagree.
Guest4629 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:04:12
No I Hate the Canadians ..... I think this guy is a Joke he sure the hell isnt worth 5 plus mill a yr .. Top's 2.5 m .. With all the good young guys out there why waste your Money on this Bum.. he is a Player that plays when he wants to play.. leafs need a goale never mind a Bum like garbageovski
Guest9188 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 06:46:35
Most times in life, what something is worth and what you pay for it just aren't the same. Grabovski may not be worth that but the market determines his price. If Burke let him go he'd easily get more than that as a free agent since this years free agent market would have left him looking like an all star compared to the alternatives. I paid more than my neighbor for my house yet he's obviously got a nicer house. He just bought it at a time when the market was better. Also, I guaruntee that five years from now Grabovski's price will look like a steal unless the NHLPA agrees to put a stop to soaring prices. Good luck with that happening!
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/07/2012 : 06:45:44
Let's not forget that the free agent market this year [July 1] will be slim pickins...and not only at centre. Supply and demand? Maybe the Leafs got Grabo cheaper than we think. They certainly wouldn't have been able to pick up ANYONE anywhere near as talented....regardless of the money.

Doesn't bode well for them filling the holes on their roster that need to be filled. But in THIS case...the more I look at it...the more I think Burke made a SMART move.

n/a Posted - 03/07/2012 : 06:35:13
quote:

Slozo, I agree with everything you have said with the exception of your use of the word "slightly'. $5.5 million is what Horcoff signed for when he was producing in the range of 20-25 goals and 50+ points and brought everything that Grabovksi can bring. But that is a horrible contract and Grabovski is a 'slight' overpayment?? Also, it is speculative that Grabovski would have gotten more on the FA market. In fact, I completely disagree. I think he would have gotten either less money for a 5 year term (likely around $22 million) or the same money for a 2-3 yr term if he was a UFA.

But, your point about who would the replacement be it dead on, I can't agree more.

I will forgive your blue tinted view of this issue, but a $1 million overpayment for 5 yrs of Grabovski's caliber is more than a 'slight' overpayment.

Horcoff is a good example of . . . people giving bad examples, IMHO. He is not the same stats wise right now, and outside of his one outlier year of 70 points . . . his next highest year was 53 points, 3 years ago, and he hasn't come close to even that total since. He may reach 40 points this year at his current pace - a marginal 2nd line player, IMHO.

I think we all agree that Grabo is a solid second line centre, no? Certainly compareable stats-wise to second tier top line centres in his best year, quite frankly.

Reasonably close player stats wise / position wise / value IMHO:
Krejci - 2009 3 yr deal for 4 mil/yr this year, 3.75 cap hit
Pavelski - 2010 4 yr deal, 4 mil per year
Backes - 5 yr deal signed in 2011, 4.5 mil per year

Now - all of these are cheaper, I grant you that . . . but if any of them had been impending free agents and had gone ont he market . . . I can tell you someone would have given 6 mil for Backes; 5.5 for Pavelski; and at least 5.5 for Krejci, IMHO.

I think that's why the overpayment was made . . . which I still contend is a slight pverpayment, based on factoring in value to the team.

Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 06:05:56
Slozo, I agree with everything you have said with the exception of your use of the word "slightly'. $5.5 million is what Horcoff signed for when he was producing in the range of 20-25 goals and 50+ points and brought everything that Grabovksi can bring. But that is a horrible contract and Grabovski is a 'slight' overpayment?? Also, it is speculative that Grabovski would have gotten more on the FA market. In fact, I completely disagree. I think he would have gotten either less money for a 5 year term (likely around $22 million) or the same money for a 2-3 yr term if he was a UFA.

But, your point about who would the replacement be it dead on, I can't agree more.

I will forgive your blue tinted view of this issue, but a $1 million overpayment for 5 yrs of Grabovski's caliber is more than a 'slight' overpayment.
n/a Posted - 03/07/2012 : 05:45:13
I think it's a slight, but NECESSARY, overpayment. I am happy with this deal, actually.

If the Leafs had let him go for nothing . . . who would be his replacement? How much would his replacement cost? Would his replacement be a solid 25 goal, 50+ point guy who was a heart and soul player who puts out 110% every night?

Right.

Because that's how you must think if you are the GM, and I think from a team chemistry point of view, and knowing what a heart and soul player Grabo is, with a tireless work ethic and gritty demeanour despite his size . . . you really want to keep a player like that. He is one of the reasons Kessel can be that top line guy, and he is almost always danegrous on the ice. And, he's our best centre right now.

So, I think it's a bit of a "statement" contract to the other players . . . if you perform well, you play your heart out, and if you are a guy who loves the city and wants to stay . . . we're willing to make it a sweet offer.

I honestly think that Grabo would have gotten slightly more elsewhere in the summer if let go. Look at the available centres, folks, and think about the market.

Shepsky Posted - 03/06/2012 : 20:12:17
Not true nuxfan me AND Brian Burke

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 19:56:45
Speaking of the "would any team have paid this much for him", did i not hear/read a few times about how he actually liked Toronto and wanted to stay? I could be wrong, but if that was the case, that's not much of a hometown discount!!!
Clatts Posted - 03/06/2012 : 18:09:11
He's a good player but does not demand this type of contract either the years or the money but not both and as too Nux's list i'd take him over Lieno and Ruutu

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
nuxfan Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:59:03
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

Alex asks a good question. Most agree Grabovski's contract is too much, but did Burke need to make this deal?

We know he would have been a UFA this summer, but would he have really commanded a similar contract on the open market?

Or perhaps more concerning - would Grabo have taken less with another team, and Burke had to overpay in order to keep the player in Toronto?

quote:

In fact on nuxfan's list of comparable players, the only ones I would even consider taking over Grabo would be Sharp (at a deserved higher price) or Pavelski

Shepsky - you might be the only one that takes Grabovski over Bergeron...
Shepsky Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:15:01
Also I can only imagine that this topic was started by a Canadiens fan

-Mario Lemieux
Guest4377 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:14:46
Alex asks a good question. Most agree Grabovski's contract is too much, but did Burke need to make this deal?

We know he would have been a UFA this summer, but would he have really commanded a similar contract on the open market?

Would any NHL team have paid more than what the Leafs just paid for what most people agree is a second line centre?

How many first line centres make less than Grabovski? I'm going to guess around 5-10, but I could be wrong. Better yet, how many second line centres make $5.5 million (or more) per season, and for five years?
Shepsky Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:13:47
Lee, I completely agree with you on this, Though I do agree 5.5 is a bit much for Grabo, at the same time I really didn't want to see the Leafs lose this guy, as obviously neither did Burke. In fact on nuxfan's list of comparable players, the only ones I would even consider taking over Grabo would be Sharp (at a deserved higher price) or Pavelski. I think also factoring this deal is the fact that Grabo seems to be the type of player that Carlyle wants to play, his line with Frattin and MacArthur was on the ice a lot Saturday night, and they produced combining for all three goals, and breaking a long slump for Grabo. The length of this contract might also be a negative, but perhaps Burke is hoping that Grabo and Carlyle contine to see eye to eye, and maybe we have a new franchise player, he might not be the number one scorer, and may never be, but he'll always add depth to the team. I'm glad he'll be wearing blue and white for a while.

-Mario Lemieux
Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:01:22
quote:

I was listening to a interesting story today regarding this deal. It was an interesting perspective from an Edmonton based media guy. I guess when the Hemsky deal was announced there was a pile of guys from all over (including TO) that brought their twitter accounts alive with statements of how bad of a deal it was for the Oilers. Today found the crapstorm going in the opposite direction. Now, this reporter did not engage in the tomfooler because he believes that Burke's hands were tied.

Basically, if Grabovski was allowed to go as as UFA, he needs to be replaced. Quality 2nd line centres do not grow on trees so there is a risk of either not finding one or having to over pay for one that may not be as good as Grabovski. So, does Burke risk losing Grabovksi and not replacing him or does he put up with guys like us beating the crap out of him for overpaying???

It's an interesting theory. Not saying I agree, but interesting.

Beans, that's exactly what i was trying to get at when i said that the lack of depth withing the Leafs organization is what makes them have a tough decision in front of them!

Nuxfan, after looking at those comparables, i have no doubt in my mind that he's well overpaid! I would take Pavelski, Bergeron and Sharp over Grabo anyday and Ruutu and Leino would be a toss up. He's making much more than the latter two and in my mind because of that, is overpaid. However, i don't really think that's the argument here. I don't see many saying he is deserving, but the discussion really focuses now on, did Burke make the right choice in overpaying him?
nuxfan Posted - 03/06/2012 : 16:18:27
One thing is for sure - Jamie Benn and Matt Duschene are probably happy as clams, as RFA top-2 centres this offseasn...
sahis34 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 15:41:17
Let me just point out that hemsky's contract isn't a risk so who cares.
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 15:38:05
2nd line centres INDEED do not grow on trees...and if they did...it doesn't necessarily mean that even one of them would become a LEAF. So...Burke ensured that he didn't lose Grabo.

5.5 per year? Seems like a LOT today. BUT...What will the going rate be next fall when the contract actually kicks in? Maybe he's been overpaid in terms of what is now behind us. Looking forward though...it could well be the going rate.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page