Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 What happened to Matt Cooke?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 03/23/2012 : 15:12:24
So, can anyone honestly say that they believed Matt Cooke when he said he was gonna tone things down and become a more respectable player?

If he finishes the last few games of the season at the rate he's played the first 70+, it will be the first time in his career that he's finished with more PTS than PIM's! Currently he has 34 PTS and 30 PIMs. 30 PIMs!!!

I'm willing to admit, i never saw this coming! When he proclaimed this before the season, i said if he followed through, there may not be a place in the lineup for the "new" Matt Cooke. Looks like i was wrong!

Any Pens fans who see them play alot wanna weigh in on his contributions this year?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ToXXiK1 Posted - 03/28/2012 : 08:34:30
What happened? My guess is he got reigned in and was told enuff is enuff. Cooke is a decent player, but used wrong, and was allowed to get out of control. When Mario went on his little tantrum, I think they had to look within after the criticism and Cooke took it to heart. He's a better player than that. He's not a Carcillo or an Orr, he has something to offer to the game if he stays level.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/26/2012 : 15:40:45
See I always like the sandpaper type player Cook was. He can hurt you or iritate you but his antics were tiring. Nice to see he could earn the ice time in Pitts with the new attitude.
umteman Posted - 03/26/2012 : 15:05:42
well he has definately taken a different approach, but he's still got a fair way to go before I would color him among my favorite Penguins. I have plently of left over dislike for this guy from when he was in Vancouver.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Clatts Posted - 03/26/2012 : 14:19:35
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

although, Clatts, most of Matt Cooke's points this year have come in the absence of Crosby, he is just now getting to play with Sid. Perhaps we will see the decline of the goons in the league?

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux

It's already happening, there may not be less goons, but the quality of good is going up. Teams are saying ya we need a guy who can fight but why cant he score everyonce in a while too

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
Shepsky Posted - 03/26/2012 : 04:11:56
although, Clatts, most of Matt Cooke's points this year have come in the absence of Crosby, he is just now getting to play with Sid. Perhaps we will see the decline of the goons in the league?

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Clatts Posted - 03/25/2012 : 19:12:58
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Colour me surprised, for sure, on Cooke's turnaround. But he has made one, that is for sure.

19 goals, 17 assists, 36 points, and only 32 PIMs. And what will his reward be now? Playing with Crosby on the Pen's second line, it looks like. Because of that alone, I give him a good shot to reach his career best in points (02/03 on the Canucks, 42 pts). He already has a career high in goals, and needs one more to reach 20 for the first time in his career.

Yeah, this is pretty dramatic. Will he slip up though, in the coming (probably long) playoff run to come? We'll see, but . . . the pressure to perform and get that "edge" is dramatically turned up then, so it will be the true and final test for Matt.

Props to him - he is a decently skilled player, and more than just a bit part of that team.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Haha Yeah I think I could get 40 points playing on a line with Crosby

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
nuxfan Posted - 03/25/2012 : 07:55:58
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

I think most of the credit has to go to the Penguins management/coaching. They basically said you've got to change or your no longer going to be part of the team. Kudos to him for responding.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

I agree, it's a turnaround similar to that of Kesler and Burrows that happened a couple of years ago - although neither was a dirty player like Cooke, management had a talk with both and got them to cut down on the chirping and non-hockey stuff away from the play. Both turned things around, and became better players - especially Kesler.

Good on Cooke for seeing the light
n/a Posted - 03/25/2012 : 06:50:53
Colour me surprised, for sure, on Cooke's turnaround. But he has made one, that is for sure.

19 goals, 17 assists, 36 points, and only 32 PIMs. And what will his reward be now? Playing with Crosby on the Pen's second line, it looks like. Because of that alone, I give him a good shot to reach his career best in points (02/03 on the Canucks, 42 pts). He already has a career high in goals, and needs one more to reach 20 for the first time in his career.

Yeah, this is pretty dramatic. Will he slip up though, in the coming (probably long) playoff run to come? We'll see, but . . . the pressure to perform and get that "edge" is dramatically turned up then, so it will be the true and final test for Matt.

Props to him - he is a decently skilled player, and more than just a bit part of that team.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest0959 Posted - 03/24/2012 : 16:55:33
definitely good evidence in support of anyone that wants to enforce stricter rules in favor of player safety that players (and thus the game of hockey) can adjust
Sensfan101 Posted - 03/24/2012 : 16:34:00
I think most of the credit has to go to the Penguins management/coaching. They basically said you've got to change or your no longer going to be part of the team. Kudos to him for responding.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page