Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 where did it go wrong

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
umteman Posted - 04/15/2012 : 16:17:33
I recall the excitement when this team came together 6 seasons ago; Crosby, Malkin, Staal...oh,the expectations. I just can't believe that this squad has managed only one cup.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 04/22/2012 : 21:30:05
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5957

I don't think it's what the Pens did wrong so much as what the Flyers did right. They are firing on all cylinders now, so look for the Flyers to go deep IMO. Unless of coarse the weirdness in these playoffs continues and we see Kings vs Sens for the cup. Couldn't happen could it?

Anythings possible at this point, but i think the Flyers are going to need some goaltending at some point to go all the way! Then again, after round 1, they could be the team to beat with all the top seeds struggling!!!
Guest5957 Posted - 04/22/2012 : 20:19:34
I don't think it's what the Pens did wrong so much as what the Flyers did right. They are firing on all cylinders now, so look for the Flyers to go deep IMO. Unless of coarse the weirdness in these playoffs continues and we see Kings vs Sens for the cup. Couldn't happen could it?
Alex116 Posted - 04/22/2012 : 16:32:01
umteman.....the Rangers are on the verge, the Hawks and Bruins just staved off elimination and the Canucks are in desperation mode as well again tonight. It's crazy how many top seeds are struggling to get by round 1 (i consider the Hawks the favorite over Pho even without home ice). Just goes to show you that parity is alive and well in the NHL!
umteman Posted - 04/22/2012 : 16:24:30
oh well, once again I am left with "next year". at least there is still plenty of hockey to enjoy.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Alex116 Posted - 04/19/2012 : 07:44:23
Absolutely the refs had a talking to! You could tell as the game got out of hand they starting handing out misconducts to ensure some of the combatants couldn't return! Good job really!

On a side note, the Team1040 radio played a short clip of all the goals calls by Mike Lang (sp?) from last night's game. The guy is hilarious! Some of them don't even make sense but their funny as hell anyway! On the 10th.... "He shoots he scores...the Pens have hit 10! Bobrovsky's just lost his liquor licence!" Prob sounds stupid in print, but to hear him go off with these wacky sayings and rhymes cracks me up!
Guest9001 Posted - 04/19/2012 : 06:57:39
The league definitely had a talk with the refs, the sens rangers game was called much tighter as well. big crackdown
umteman Posted - 04/19/2012 : 06:28:22
quote:
Originally posted by Clatts

quote:
Originally posted by umteman

hey now watch them do a 2004 Boston Red Socks and make me eat my words - seems the Flyers may be better at fighting but the Penguins are better at hockey!

Last nights win was BIG but don't get cocky they are down 3-1 in the series, besides how many powers plays did they have last night?

They went from game 3 forgetting their whistles at home to game 4 calling everything

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors

didn't mean to come across as cocky; self depreciating was more like it. I suspect that the league office had a word with the refs about their calls or lack of calls earlier.

Clatts Posted - 04/19/2012 : 05:31:19
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

hey now watch them do a 2004 Boston Red Socks and make me eat my words - seems the Flyers may be better at fighting but the Penguins are better at hockey!

Last nights win was BIG but don't get cocky they are down 3-1 in the series, besides how many powers plays did they have last night?

They went from game 3 forgetting their whistles at home to game 4 calling everything

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
umteman Posted - 04/19/2012 : 04:42:20

Guest8875 Posted - 04/17/2012 : 16:47:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8875

Fluery, and I think they should trade Staal. He is good, don't get me wrong. I just think if he is gonna be 3rd line center his talents are wasted. Trade him for some grit or defense. He is easily top line on enough teams if not second line. I'm sure the pen's could get lots for him.

I only picked Staal cause he made the 3rd line and not the 1st or 2nd. I just think Pit would do much better having 2 top line centers and two top line wingers rather than 3 top line centers and 1 top line winger. They could just as well trade Crosby or Malkin and do the same but if your gonna trade one of your centers out of Crosby, Malkin or Staal.. I think Staal would be the obvious choice although you could definetly get more for Crosby and Malkin as the hype for these 2 is off the charts.
umteman Posted - 04/17/2012 : 15:50:50
well, I won't throw it all on Fleury, but I won't absolve him either; I
made mention of his short commings in a post a few days ago.

n/a Posted - 04/16/2012 : 21:59:32
I actually agree with you, umteman - colour me surprised. I also think this group of talent should have won at least two, maybe three cups by this time.

But honestly . . . it might just be today's NHL. I can't see too much wrong with it, other than Fleury being overrated perhaps, or the need for the GM to have gotten a better defensive corps, one with more muscle and grit (not that they are soft, mind you). Who knows?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 04/16/2012 : 19:36:56
quote:
Originally posted by vandrew87

quote:

Fluery, and I think they should trade Staal. He is good, don't get me wrong. I just think if he is gonna be 3rd line center his talents are wasted. Trade him for some grit or defense. He is easily top line on enough teams if not second line. I'm sure the pen's could get lots for him.

I don't agree with trading him, but I can see the need for some grit and tough, punishing defense.

But don't do the Hodgson/Kassian trade. It won't be worth it in the long run. Staal is a talent worth hanging on to. As was Hodgson. F*ckin Vigneault. Next he's gonna let Schneider walk without getting anything for him.

"If you can play, You Can Play"

AV has nothing to do with Schneider staying or going, he's the coach
vandrew87 Posted - 04/16/2012 : 18:22:15
quote:

I don't agree with trading him, but I can see the need for some grit and tough, punishing defense.

But don't do the Hodgson/Kassian trade. It won't be worth it in the long run. Staal is a talent worth hanging on to. As was Hodgson. F*ckin Vigneault. Next he's gonna let Schneider walk without getting anything for him.

"If you can play, You Can Play"
Guest4178 Posted - 04/16/2012 : 09:32:44
I'm not so sure anything went wrong. In today's NHL, you're not likely to see many repeat winners.

The last eight cups were won by eight different teams.

Dynasties are a thing of the past (the Oilers were the last one, with 5 cups in 7 years). Detroit was probably a mini-dynasty with 3 cups in 6 years (97,98, 02), but we're not likely going to see a team win multiple cups in a short period of time in the new NHL.

With the salary cap, free agent rules, and the lottery draft (the latter which has been in place for some time now), etc., the NHL (and maybe the fans?) have gotten their wish whereby every team has the "hope" of winning the cup.

Getting back to the Penguins, I thought they would win a couple of cups (and this year is not over yet, but their playoff hopes are dangling by a thread right now), and while there's always next year, the league is too competitive (especially at the top), and in any given year, there are 7-8 teams (and maybe more) with a legitimate chance to win the cup, and another half dozen with an outside chance.

Take a look at the last eight cup winners for example.

Starting in 2004, Calgary was a bounce away from beating Tampa Bay. Edmonton was very close to beating Carolina in 2006. How about 2009? The Red Wings were a great save away from taking Pittsburgh to overtime. And the Penguins needed 7 games to get past Washington in the second round.

And what about last season? While the Canucks lost in game 7 to the Bruins, Boston was a bounce (or save) away from being ousted in the first round. Montreal took them to game 7 overtime, and game which could have gone either way.

What's my point? My point is that anyone can win the cup, and no team is that much better than the rest to be a sure thing (anymore)? Including the Penguins, who are a very good team, but no sure thing this year, or in past years.

And in some ways, that's good for hockey. Which means we will hear more and more fans lament their lost season(s), but who remain hopeful for next year, or in years to come.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 04/16/2012 : 08:51:08
Gotta disagree with the guest poster. Think Malkin is more trade worthy than Staal, as he has the grit your asking for and Malkins stock cant get any higher. Pitts cant afford both and continue to ice a competitve product along side these 2 well paid players.
Guest8875 Posted - 04/15/2012 : 22:39:13

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page