Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Bombing - In your hockey pool

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shepsky Posted - 04/24/2012 : 04:41:14
Just a question, Is anyone else bombing their playoff pool as badly as I am with these first round upsets? With Pittsburgh, Chicago, and still possibly New York gone, and even Detroit and Vancouver. I am already out a lot of players in my pool, anyone else already kissed this year's playoff pool goodbye already?

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 10:58:02
Beans, that's what i thought re the two types of pools, it was just that you said the draft pools are too big so i was confused. I'm assuming you're saying they're too big for your liking (especially if you get last pick) but in reality, the open pools are usually larger.

I prefer a draft pool with 10 teams. Nice even number and getting 10th and 11th isn't so bad. In fact, for regular season pools, it's sometimes nicer than getting say 4th and 17th. For playoffs though, if you find yourself with the last pick, you often don't get anyone from the top 2 seeds (or two fav's). However, this year, with Van and Pit out, i'm betting a lot of guys who picked last are doing well as they prob had to go on to pick StL, Nash, NYR, Bos, etc. Of course, they need NYR and Bos to advance to up their chances even more.
Guest4059 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 10:44:16
The real pool is a draft pool. When everyone could pick anybody the winner win only decided with a lucky pick.

I'm in a draft pool of 9 poolers (12 players). I lose one Pit and two Van but my two Coyotes players make me have some hope for the next round.

2 players at St-Louis and Nashville, I'm okay in the West.

In the East, only 3 players one NYR, one Bos and one PHI. I need to keep Nyr and Bos to win.
Guest6786 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 09:40:43
I'm in an open pool, and my strategy is usually to focus on teams that I think will make the final four.

in the East i focused mainly on Pitt and NYR
in the West it was a lot tougher to predict so i took a mixed bag of LA, NSH, & VAN.

if NYR and either one of LA or NSH can make the finals, then i could be in good shape at the end.
Clatts Posted - 04/24/2012 : 09:18:28
I've got all Nashville and NYR players, so if NYR win game 7 its looking good if not i'll be down to my 5 Nashville guys and they don't score enough to win me the pool

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
Beans15 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 09:17:25
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I only enter open pools and not draft type playoff pools. I don't like drafts as they are often too large. My strategy for open pools is picking against the grain. Most people were taking Pitt and Van so I took mostly LA and Philly.

There are only two positions I ever finish in these pools, first or dead last. It looks good for me this year. I am in one pool that was 12 skaters and 2 goalies and there is one guy who will likely have no players left after this round. He took mostly Pitt, Van, and NYR.

Go Ottawa!!

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

Beans, i don't follow when you say draft type pools are too large? Unless i'm mixing them up, isn't an "open" pool usually larger?

I'm in two draft pools and in both i managed to grab 5 St. Louis players. They (The Blues) don't score as much as say Philly, but if they go deep, i'll have a shot. Luckily, being in Van, Canucks players go early and often. I try to let the others grab them as if they go deep i'm happy not winning my pool. So, i sit in 5th outta 10 in one right now and 7th out of 12 in the other. Still a lot of time, though i lost 2 Pens in one of them as well and need NJ to advance to at least the 2nd round to have a good shot.

And here i was thinking this was a new topic on why there was no riot here in Vancouver.

Draft pool = once a player is picked they are off the board and no one else can take that player.

Open draft = you select what ever players you wish a multiple people have the same players. Could be box picks or just a general list.

For the playoffs, even a ten man draft is a big. However, the open draft can have an almost limitless number of participants. The theory is still the same as it is normally a sleeper pick that will win or loe a pool.

n/a Posted - 04/24/2012 : 08:17:02
Yeah, lots of people out ALREADY with 2 series still to go. Definitely more than usual.

I got lucky this year with the fotuitous pick of LA over Vancouver . . . always difficult to get those right. But just how lucky remains to be seen, as I really went heavy in all pools on the Rangers, so they definitely need to win for me to continue going.

Sometimes - like this year - I find you don't have to be perfect to win. Many of us were hurt with Pittsburgh falling out of the playoffs, but my pick of LA over Vancouver(and avoiding Vancouver's players) has compensated. Although, the one or two guys with Philly players have soared into the lead. In their case, it'll really depend on 2nd round and beyond.

But it sure is fun to plan out how one is going to win, and who you need to win or lose to maximise your team's points against the rest of the field.

Go Devils! Go Rangers! Go Washington!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 07:35:37
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I only enter open pools and not draft type playoff pools. I don't like drafts as they are often too large. My strategy for open pools is picking against the grain. Most people were taking Pitt and Van so I took mostly LA and Philly.

There are only two positions I ever finish in these pools, first or dead last. It looks good for me this year. I am in one pool that was 12 skaters and 2 goalies and there is one guy who will likely have no players left after this round. He took mostly Pitt, Van, and NYR.

Go Ottawa!!

Beans, i don't follow when you say draft type pools are too large? Unless i'm mixing them up, isn't an "open" pool usually larger?

I'm in two draft pools and in both i managed to grab 5 St. Louis players. They (The Blues) don't score as much as say Philly, but if they go deep, i'll have a shot. Luckily, being in Van, Canucks players go early and often. I try to let the others grab them as if they go deep i'm happy not winning my pool. So, i sit in 5th outta 10 in one right now and 7th out of 12 in the other. Still a lot of time, though i lost 2 Pens in one of them as well and need NJ to advance to at least the 2nd round to have a good shot.

And here i was thinking this was a new topic on why there was no riot here in Vancouver.
Guest5091 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 06:39:39
I'm in 3 pools...

Currently:
- tied for first (although everyone looks pretty much dead in the water)
- 4th (if Philly can lose, I think I should win it. 2nd & 3rd are dead in the water already)
- top 1000 out of 60000+ on cbc. Lowest I got was 255... Would be fun to win the car.

I felt that the winner of the 2nd round Nsh/Stl series would win the west and the winner of the Bos/Pit 2nd round series would win the east so I varied which teams I went for between pools. Not doing too well so far.
Beans15 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 06:19:15

Go Ottawa!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page