Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 22 shutouts in one season!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
theraj662 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 03:46:09
In 1928-29 George Hainsworth of the Montreal Canadiens recorded 22 shutouts while compiling an amazing GAA of 0.92! Hanesworth and other goalies of his era had an advantage that made their job much easier.

A rule change was brought in the following season that took that advantage away and made the goaltender's job much more difficult. That rule change is still in effect today. If that rule change were in effect during the 28-29 season, it's 99.9% certain Hainsworth would not have been close to 22 shutouts.

What was that rule change?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rross Posted - 05/09/2012 : 16:01:40
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6571

quote:
Originally posted by theraj662

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Wasn't it all forward passing was prohibited before? Or was is just from neurtal zone to offensive zone???

I mentioned this near the beginning of the thread. Was this not it? All forward passing was allowed whereas in the year prior, there was no forward passing allowed in the offensive zone?

Never mind, I forgot to take into account your statement about the rule "still in place today".....

Sorry Alex116, I misread your previous answer.

During the 29-30 season they tweaked the 28-29 rule.

The 28-29 rule allowed forward passing from the neutral to offensive zone, but no forward passing from one player in the offensive zone to another in the offensive zone.

In 29-30 they made the neutral to offensive zone pass illegal, instead allowing the forward pass in the offensive zone, which DRAMATICALLY increased scoring and made the life of a goaltender much more difficult ever since.

Actually theraj, if you read my previous post, you would realize that there was a more significant rule change which only lasted half the season. There were no offsides!!! Someone else previously mentioned this too. This would have had more of an impact on offense than forward passing in the offensive zone I believe.

Players could stand down by the goal without being offside.

Go Habs Go!!
Guest6571 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 15:58:35
quote:
Originally posted by theraj662

quote:

quote:

Wasn't it all forward passing was prohibited before? Or was is just from neurtal zone to offensive zone???

I mentioned this near the beginning of the thread. Was this not it? All forward passing was allowed whereas in the year prior, there was no forward passing allowed in the offensive zone?

The 28-29 rule allowed forward passing from the neutral to offensive zone, but no forward passing from one player in the offensive zone to another in the offensive zone.

In 29-30 they made the neutral to offensive zone pass illegal, instead allowing the forward pass in the offensive zone, which DRAMATICALLY increased scoring and made the life of a goaltender much more difficult ever since.

Actually theraj, if you read my previous post, you would realize that there was a more significant rule change which only lasted half the season. There were no offsides!!! Someone else previously mentioned this too. This would have had more of an impact on offense than forward passing in the offensive zone I believe.

Players could stand down by the goal without being offside.
theraj662 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 13:21:58
Nosir! The words I write comes from me own knowledge.
admin Posted - 05/09/2012 : 11:55:50
Hi theraj662, thanks for all the great trivia! Thoroughly enjoying it!

Just a heads up that if you are copying the questions or information 'directly' from another source please credit them. If you are rewording it yourself then no worries.
theraj662 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 10:54:42
quote:

quote:

Alex116 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 07:45:35
quote:

rross Posted - 05/09/2012 : 05:49:29
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

[quote]Originally posted by rross

Players were allowed to enter the offensive zone before the puck.

Go Habs Go!!
[/quote

Isn't this the answer then??? Players could now sit in front of the opposing net at all times, which was obviously changed back.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux

Thanks Shepsky. Yes, I do believe that was the answer. I don't think it was the other significant rule change where the standard I've size was increased for new arenas built.

Go Habs Go!!
Shepsky Posted - 05/09/2012 : 04:13:13
[quote]Originally posted by rross

Go Habs Go!!
[/quote

Isn't this the answer then??? Players could now sit in front of the opposing net at all times, which was obviously changed back.

-Mario Lemieux
theraj662 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 03:30:18
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6412

quote:
Originally posted by rross

Go Habs Go!!

Yes, in 28-29 there was a rule change permitting forward passing from the neutral into the offensive zone. But the answer to the question here is about a rule change that happened in 29-30, which was a tweaking of the 28-29 rule.

For the answer to the question, what was that 29-30 rule change?

Whoops, sorry. Guest6412 was me. Forgot to do that pesky log in thing again. D'oh!
Guest6412 Posted - 05/09/2012 : 03:25:35
quote:
Originally posted by rross

Go Habs Go!!

Yes, in 28-29 there was a rule change permitting forward passing from the neutral into the offensive zone. But the answer to the question here is about a rule change that happened in 29-30, which was a tweaking of the 28-29 rule.

For the answer to the question, what was that 29-30 rule change?
rross Posted - 05/08/2012 : 22:52:32

Go Habs Go!!
Guest4315 Posted - 05/08/2012 : 21:18:50
Offsides?!?
theraj662 Posted - 05/08/2012 : 21:13:08
Still no correct answer for this one yet.

Hint: It does have to do with forward passing.
theraj662 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 03:01:09
The rule change had something to do with forward passing, it was a tweaking of the 28-29 rule change that allowed forward passing from the neutral zone into the offensive zone. What was it?

As for slapshots, there was no rule against slapshots at the time, they just hadn't been invented yet. Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion is credited with inventing the slapshot in the 50's. The slapshot was later perfected in that decade by such sharpshooters as Bobby Hull. Hull took the slapshot one step further with the invention of the curved stick, frightening the maskless goaltenders of the day.

When a slapshot was fired from a curved stick, as the puck travelled to the net, the added spin created from the curve in the stick caused the flight of the puck to be very unpredictable. As the puck sped towards the net it would sink and rise along the way. The goaltender may think the puck would be going into his glove when at the last moment it would suddenly rise or dip and miss the glove all together or curve and fly right into the goalie's face.

The curves on the blades became so extreme, in some cases being over 2 inches! The resulting unpredictability of the puck and the mounting fear and injuries to goaltenders led the NHL to pass legislation regarding the amount of curve allowed on the blade of the stick, eventually setting the limit to the amount of curve that is on the blades today.
Guest8384 Posted - 04/25/2012 : 07:46:44
Probably no lifters either.
n/a Posted - 04/25/2012 : 04:39:32
I believe, if memory serves correct (I was just a young laddie then), that it was . . . no slapshots?

I heard that at one time, slapshots were not allowed - so if it's not the no forward passing rule, it's gotta be that one.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest8384 Posted - 04/25/2012 : 04:15:55
Do the Leafs still follow the rule of no forward passing?
theraj662 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 19:58:31
In 28-29 a new rule was put in which allowed forward passing from the neutral zone into the offensive zone, but it was another rule change that was brought in for the 29-30 season that is the subject of this question.
Alex116 Posted - 04/24/2012 : 08:34:53
Shepsky Posted - 04/24/2012 : 04:24:34
Forward passing was permitted into the offensive zone from the neutral zone.

-Mario Lemieux

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page