Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Vokoun a Penguin

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shepsky Posted - 06/04/2012 : 08:33:22
I just heard the the Penguins have acquired the rights to Thomas Vokoun from the Washington Capitals. That could make for a strong goaltending duo in Pittsburgh.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pasty7 Posted - 06/09/2012 : 04:41:22
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

That's a good point Pasty. Slozo has bested me more often than not in our betting history. But he is also very particular about his bets and will generally not bet unless the odds are at least 50/50 or odds in his favour. This is almost a gift when it comes to Slozo bets. It's like a guy betting Rick Nash will have a 90 pts in a season!

Let's not forget the Slozo has called Pittsburgh a 'miracle' team for the better part of two years so I also see some bias in this bet.

Even if I lose it's a good bet based on what we know today.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

yeah there was some fool betting with his heart not his mind on this site saying Nash would score 90, wonder what happend to him,.....

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Beans15 Posted - 06/08/2012 : 22:06:36
That's a good point Pasty. Slozo has bested me more often than not in our betting history. But he is also very particular about his bets and will generally not bet unless the odds are at least 50/50 or odds in his favour. This is almost a gift when it comes to Slozo bets. It's like a guy betting Rick Nash will have a 90 pts in a season!

Let's not forget the Slozo has called Pittsburgh a 'miracle' team for the better part of two years so I also see some bias in this bet.

Even if I lose it's a good bet based on what we know today.

Pasty7 Posted - 06/08/2012 : 19:16:19
quote:

Slozo, you are one of the brightest hockey minds on this sight. I can appreciate that you are holding making statements that one off the best team defenses in the NHL over the past three seasons is based solely on their goaltending. The entire team was horrible defensively in the playoffs and Fleury was equally bad. However, I can say the fortunes of the Penguins in this year's playoffs is based on the poor play of their keeper. It is one of the factors but he was also hung out to dry on countless occasions.

I am likely not interested in making monetary wagers on a website. However, I am very interested in the wager. Do you have any terms in mind?

Beano whats your record when betting against Slozo?? even though i agree with you i'd bet on Slozo winning jsut because you can't seem to catch a break betting against him

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Beans15 Posted - 06/08/2012 : 16:37:00
Slozo, you are one of the brightest hockey minds on this site. I can appreciate that you are holding making statements that one off the best team defenses in the NHL over the past three seasons is based solely on their goaltending. The entire team was horrible defensively in the playoffs and Fleury was equally bad. However, I can say the fortunes of the Penguins in this year's playoffs is based on the poor play of their keeper. It is one of the factors but he was also hung out to dry on countless occasions.

I am likely not interested in making monetary wagers on a website. However, I am very interested in the wager. Do you have any terms in mind?

Cyclonis Posted - 06/08/2012 : 08:48:58
They are not trading Fleury to the Leafs...let it go! He is young and a great netminder.When your minor leaguer has a worse GAA than the guy in net in the NHL (reg season) and has no exp its best to get a backup that can step in.

Add to the fact Vokoun is settling for less money to play on good teams and pow a great backup that doesn't need to play every day but can shine for you when you rest your number 1. You will probably see the young guy a few times whis year but not for any extended amount of time barring some injuries. Johnson is probably gone not Fleury!
n/a Posted - 06/08/2012 : 05:02:45
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Umteman - any idea if the Pens have a good up and comer in their system at the goalie spot? Still the only way i could see them entertaining the idea of trading MAF, even though i'm not as high on him as some. Funny how this comes after one of his better seasons statistically though. Sure, he had a rough round 1, but so did the entire Pens team defensively!

Still don't see it, but then again, nobody saw Richards and Carter both being dealt last year from the Flyers either.

And look at where those two party boys find themselves now.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. A team that gives up 23 powerplays in 6 games and go a killer 47% has no right to point the finger at their goalie. The Pens, after having one the best team defenses in the NHL, were pathetic overall.

This does not mean that Fleury is off the hook as he did play horribly. However, a team can't base their decision on their franchise goalie over a 6 game period when the entire team was gross defensively.

But what if they had one of the best team defences because their goalie was playing quite well in the regular season, and then suddenly because Fleury let in literally 2 softies a game in the playoffs, their team defence suddenly hit the toilet? What if that were the case, Beans?

So Beans - you are saying you would bet heavy money on Fleury starting next spring's 2013 playoffs as the Pens starter (barring injuries, of course)?

Sounds like a wager!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 06/07/2012 : 06:20:15
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Umteman - any idea if the Pens have a good up and comer in their system at the goalie spot? Still the only way i could see them entertaining the idea of trading MAF, even though i'm not as high on him as some. Funny how this comes after one of his better seasons statistically though. Sure, he had a rough round 1, but so did the entire Pens team defensively!

Still don't see it, but then again, nobody saw Richards and Carter both being dealt last year from the Flyers either.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. A team that gives up 23 powerplays in 6 games and go a killer 47% has no right to point the finger at their goalie. The Pens, after having one the best team defenses in the NHL, were pathetic overall.

This does not mean that Fleury is off the hook as he did play horribly. However, a team can't base their decision on their franchise goalie over a 6 game period when the entire team was gross defensively.

umteman Posted - 06/07/2012 : 03:33:24
I will also mention that Munroe has (as far as I know) zero experience at the NHL level.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
umteman Posted - 06/07/2012 : 03:15:54
I've heard some mention of a goalie with the Wilkes-Barre Penguins who the team is said to be high on. The guy's name is Scott Munroe and last season posted a 2.46GAA and .926 save percentage. I haven't seen him play as I no longer live in that area.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Alex116 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 15:58:35

umteman Posted - 06/06/2012 : 15:37:40
"PIT would be nuts to move him, esp in favour of a 36-year old best-years-behind-him goalie like Vokoun. Teams build from the goaltender out, and quality starting goaltenders are not plentiful. If they run into cap space, there are other bits that will be moved."

agreed nuxfan

nuxfan Posted - 06/06/2012 : 09:48:22
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Marc-Andre Fleury of PITTSBURGH

26 goals allowed in 6 games (337mins. ); 2wins 4losses on a team that scored 26 goals in 6 games!!!
Oh, and a 4.63 GAA, 157shots and 131 saves for a save percentage of .834.

Do you think the Pens are making a decision like that based on 6 games out of the last 5 years? I think gipper said it best - only the Leafs do things like that

A perennial 30+ game winner, and twice over 40 wins (including this past season, and including seasons where they have been missing one or more significant chunks of their offense in Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Staal). Only 27 years old, and under contract for a very reasonable 5M.

PIT would be nuts to move him, esp in favour of a 36-year old best-years-behind-him goalie like Vokoun. Teams build from the goaltender out, and quality starting goaltenders are not plentiful. If they run into cap space, there are other bits that will be moved.
Guest4666 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 09:35:53
You guys are Nuts Fleury isnt going anywhere any time soon..It well be great for him to have a Better Back up goalie.. It well Push him even Harder.. Johnson was no Vokun and for the Price of 2 mill a Yr that is a STEAL...Pens are going to have the best 1-2 goalie combo next season..
Beans15 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 08:28:07
Slozo, are you honestly saying that one poor series by Fleury will sour Pitt on their franchise goalie?? Let's not forget the Penguins also gave up 12 PP goals against Philly. How many of those can you fault to Fleury???

And what regular season did Fleury not have a great season?? In the past season he had 42 wins, .913 save %, and 2.36 GAA in 67 starts?? When did a 40 win season and a better than .900 save percentage become garbage??

The only thing that will prevent MA Fleury from being the starter for the 2013 playoffs is injury or Pitt not making the playoffs.

I will take that bet right now. Name your terms.

n/a Posted - 06/06/2012 : 06:11:16
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

why in the world would the Pens trade away one of the top goaltenders in the league, who's only 27, and won them a cup.......for a 36 year old veteran, who's only got 3 playoff wins, and hasn't been to the post season since 2007?
only the Leafs do things like that!

seriously folks, Fleury is not going anywhere! if cap space is the concern then i'm sure they'll find other ways to deal with it.

Marc-Andre Fleury of PITTSBURGH

26 goals allowed in 6 games (337mins. ); 2wins 4losses on a team that scored 26 goals in 6 games!!!
Oh, and a 4.63 GAA, 157shots and 131 saves for a save percentage of .834.

You remember the Penguins, right? Crosby, Malkin . . . Letang . . . former cup winners, looked like one of the favourties going into the playoffs to win it all this year . . .

THAT'S why they have soured on Fleury!
And THAT'S why it's entirely possible that, given Fleury not having a great regular season really, that this could just be a new reality they are dealing with, and that Fleury is on his way to being washed up. And let me put it to you this way:

With Vokoun on the roster now, how much money are you willing to put on Fleury being the starter for the Pens in the 2013 playoffs?

I'm guessing, not much.

The_Gipper Posted - 06/05/2012 : 05:34:36
why in the world would the Pens trade away one of the top goaltenders in the league, who's only 27, and won them a cup.......for a 36 year old veteran, who's only got 3 playoff wins, and hasn't been to the post season since 2007?
only the Leafs do things like that!

seriously folks, Fleury is not going anywhere! if cap space is the concern then i'm sure they'll find other ways to deal with it.
Shepsky Posted - 06/05/2012 : 04:42:09
Well, it seems that everyone was in agreement that Pittsburgh was going to be facing cap space trouble before too long, and that would likely have to trade a star player (like Staal.) Perhaps this is actually the route they will go to free up space, as Vokoun comes in much cheaper than Fleury, and compare the NHL stats
Thomas Vokoun: SV% .917 GAA:2.55
Marc- Andre Fleury : SV% .909 GAA 2.68
Vokoun also more than double Fleury's shut out number in much less that double the games played same is true for assists. (which means he is more likely better at moving the puck) All I'm saying is that going from Marc-Andre Fleury to Thomas Vokoun in net, isn't really going "down" in goaltending. Just way down in price.

-Mario Lemieux
nuxfan Posted - 06/04/2012 : 14:08:14
Fleury being moved? Seriously??? The guy is an outstanding goalie and is only 27 years old. More than 30 wins per year, every year (including years where they haven't had a lot of offensive support), 2 trips to the finals and one cup. One bad playoff series does not a goalie make, and management does not move elite players

I agree with Beans here - they just need a reliable backup for a decent cap hit. Vokoun offers more reliability than Johnson does, and at 1M per year is great value. Vokoun is in his late 30's, he's here to bridge a gap in backup goaltending and provide support should Fleury flounder. He is not a long term move.
umteman Posted - 06/04/2012 : 11:41:10
Fleury's shaky performance in the playoffs seems to have caused many to think he is a much worse goalie than he really is. You don't win the Stanely Cup with an undependable goalie between the pipes; just ask the Flyers.

Alex116 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 11:25:42
I thought you guys were joking about the possibility of Fleury being moved? I'd never have come to that conclussion, even with Vokoun getting the 2 year deal. But, you could be right. I don't see it myself though. Any word on the value of Vokoun's deal? I'm guessing it's in the 1.5-2 mil range (per). If so, that's a quality backup and no more. He'll likely be given 30 games at most unless of course Fleury is injured or completely tanks.

Anyone know if the Pens have an up and comer at the goalie spot? That's the only way i could see them shipping Fleury elsewhere. If they had a guy who is a couple years away, it's a possibility that they could have Vokoun play a year or two to groom a new guy coming up through the system?
Beans15 Posted - 06/04/2012 : 09:16:32
Fleury had a horrible playoff season this year. But his regular season was elite with 42 wins, a 2.36 GAA, and .913 save percentage in 67 games. Let's not forget that he is only 27 yrs old and already had a Cup ring to go with his 430+ regular season games and 75 playoff appearances.

Fleury isn't going anywhere. Vokoun is clearly coming is as the back-up. Tommy V is coming off a below standard season and an injury. His last contract was a 1 yr, $1 million deal. This one is reported to be a 2yr-$2 million deal. I think Pitt wanted to lock him up and pay a decent salary rather than compete on the FA market considering there are not many solid goalies in this year's crop.

I think this does put pressure on Fleury, give Pitt a legit back up so Fleury doesn't have to play more than 60ish games, and also gives them a guy to bank on in the playoffs is Fleury tanks. However, I don't see this meaning Fleury is going anywhere.

Although, if it does mean he is moving somewhere, Edmonton wouldn't be a bad choice.......

Shepsky Posted - 06/04/2012 : 09:08:26
I originally thought that they would go with both goalies, but the 2 year deal does suggest that maybe fleury will be shipped out, perhaps big changes are on the horizon for Pittsburgh.

-Mario Lemieux
n/a Posted - 06/04/2012 : 09:03:13
Wow. This is huge news, I think.

It's the end of the Fleury era in Pittsburgh . . . or, do they actually plan on keeping Fleury, and having Vokoun there to push him basically?

The two year deal, to me, says Fleury is out. If it had been a one year deal, I could see them keeping Fleury, but here . . . hmmm. I think he's gotta move.

umteman Posted - 06/04/2012 : 08:56:31
Just heard this news. the Pens gave Washington a 7th round draft pick in exchange. Vokoun has signed for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page