Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Justin Schultz

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 06/26/2012 : 22:24:53
Anyone hear the rumour (Elliotte Friedman) that Toronto was actually granted an opportunity to sign Schultz at the draft? He reportedly said that "the Ducks allowed a window for the Maple Leafs to try and sign Schultz at the draft, with the Ducks getting some compensation if they did." Apparntly Schultz wants to test free agency was what the Leafs were told? If that's the case, that doesn't look good for TO as far as landing this kid. What's to test as far as the market goes? The guy has a max he can be paid of 990+K (something like 975?) regardless of where he goes. Sounds like he's awaiting a team or two to make it official that they're interested. I'm guessing 29 teams will be inquiring about him, don't ya think?
36   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sahis34 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 18:28:58
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34
..... oh and suck it canucks fans

Just us Sahis? What about Leaf, Ranger, Sens Wings, Hawks, etc, etc, fans?

Ah, Sahis is just jealous Alex... let him enjoy his moment

Good place for Shultz to end up, he'll get a chance to be a significant presence on the blue line in EDM, and will get a chance to prove himself so as to maximize his next contract as well. Time will tell whether or not he's the real deal, or another Brunstrom, but the deal and prospect is all upside at this time.

Beans - as great as it is for Shultz to sign there, I do still think that EDM is a hard sell for most veterans out there, and it would take a team like they have - lots of potential upside and dynamic young players - just to get them sniffing. The one thing that EDM is missing, now that they have all their youth, is some veteran presence, esp on the blueline. A Willie Mitchell/Salo/Boumeester style player, someone that can help to mentor the youth movement back there. Will see if they can get it.

Jealous of what?
Porkchop73 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 16:53:33
Even before the kid signed in Oil country I constantly had one name running through my head. Matt Gilroy. Gilroy was hyped just as much as Schultz. Somehow these players never seem to pan out.
Now having said that I wanted the Leafs to win the Schultz sweepstakes incase the kid does turn out fine. Good on the Oil for getting the kid signed.
Wonder about those tampering allegations now that its not the Leafs who signed him. I had read it was the Leafs whom Anaheim had thought were doing the tampering.
sahis34 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 14:32:33
quote:

quote:

quote:

Good place for Shultz to end up, he'll get a chance to be a significant presence on the blue line in EDM, and will get a chance to prove himself so as to maximize his next contract as well. Time will tell whether or not he's the real deal, or another Brunstrom, but the deal and prospect is all upside at this time.

Beans - as great as it is for Shultz to sign there, I do still think that EDM is a hard sell for most veterans out there, and it would take a team like they have - lots of potential upside and dynamic young players - just to get them sniffing. The one thing that EDM is missing, now that they have all their youth, is some veteran presence, esp on the blueline. A Willie Mitchell/Salo/Boumeester style player, someone that can help to mentor the youth movement back there. Will see if they can get it.

What I am supposed to be jealous of? Schultz picked the oilers over the canucks. And Id rather have the oilers roster than the canucks roster
nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 12:15:31
quote:

quote:

Beans15 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 10:31:45
Hey Alex, quit raining on my parade

I don't this this free agent class will be a good test for more FA's going to the Oilers. Their top 6 is full and the defense is actually pretty full up too. Unless Suter magically becomes available for the Oilers (and I am not saying that is happening in the least) there really isn't any other big name free agents that would fit with the plan. I can see the oilers looking for a trade involving a goalie but is also don't think they are in a desperate enough position to overpay.

I see some tweaks with the line up and maybe a pugger or to landing in Edmonton, but o other big name free agents will be announced.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Alex116 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 10:20:58
quote:

sahis34 Posted - 06/30/2012 : 20:11:00
I thnk schultz will be good for 30-40 points next season, oh and suck it canucks fans

I wonder what the oilers will do now though on D. They do have 5 defensemen who are fairly solid, but there pretty far from elite. I dunno, they should probably make a trade with one of their d and a forward to get a better D, might as well get rid of peckham too...
Alex116 Posted - 06/30/2012 : 19:49:25
Beans....
I knew the money would be the same regardless of who signed him but i wasn't aware the term maxed out at 2 yrs.

It's obviously a great deal for the Oilers as it's the equivalent of a high end draft pick for free. No telling how good this kid will be or if he's overhyped, but a def win for the Oilers! I still have to think that he chose the Oilers for a couple of main reasons. One, the abundance of young talent and a team obviously with nowhere to go but up, way up! And two, the guarantee of ice time. This guy's development will be fun to watch and gauge, as will his reception in the cities he decided against.

As far as Edmonton not being a place anyone wants to play, i think you should curb your enthusiasm. I think if there was a team in Nunavut with an outdoor rink, they too would be able to attract a guy or two if they sucked for as long as the Oilers have and stockpiled #1 overall picks the way Edm has! I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow to see if there's been enough develpment there to further attract a big name! Unfortunately, i don't hate the Oilers like i used to, though that could change if they start beating up the Canucks with regularity with all these high draft picks!
Beans15 Posted - 06/30/2012 : 17:10:08
The max contract he could have signed was the 2 year deal.

That made this situation more interesting than most. This had nothing to do with money as each team interested in this kid could offer the same max. This had to do with there he thought was the beset situation.

It's a great thing for an oilers fan. Not because I am sold that Schultz will be an all star. The reward in this signing is that he could have picked almost anywhere and he picked Edmonton. After years of listening to the crap spew from so many mouths about how no one wants to play in Edmonton, oiler fans can finally tell those meatballs to take a hike.

If this kid is as good as people say he is, it's hard to think the future in Edmonton is not going to be exciting. After years (decades) of average play and fighting into the playoffs this team actually looks to have the potential talent to be elite for a long time.

Alex116 Posted - 06/30/2012 : 14:23:14
Not overly surprising. Certainly a good young bunch in Edm to join, there's no arguing that! Considering they've got the last three #1 overall picks and now this kid who many say would have been top 5 this year, it's pretty impressive! Throw in a steal in a late 1st rounder like Eberle and this team is a good goalie away from making some serious noise!

What about tomorrow? Any chance they figure they're closer than many think and throw a big offer out at Suter? I kinda doubt he wants to go there mostly because he's American and Edm prob seems like the North Pole to many Yankees but you never know.

I'm guessing the ice time was a big factor as i heard here in Van that the Canucks wouldn't guarantee him top 4 mins.

Any word on why just 2 years? Is that something to do with his age?

There's now talk around here that the Canucks may focus on Jason Garrison? I kinda hope not, after hearing that he's expecting / not gonna sign for anything less than 5 million / year? I can't see many teams offering that kind of dough, especially not the Canucks, for a guy who had one good season of 16 goals. Keep in mind, he played alongside Brian Campbell who prob helped elevate Garrison's #'s.
Statman Posted - 06/30/2012 : 14:18:38
Though I would have loved to have seen him in Canuck colours, I do think that he made a good decision going with Edmonton. They are an exciting young team which looks to be on the verge, and he will gain top line minutes while still being fairly close to home.

Of course, the Oilers managed to lure him by sending Gretzky and Coffey to recruit him. I can't help but think they wouldn't have had a shot if we sent our best forward and best defensemen from the 80's; Tony Tanti and Harold Snepts! Lol.
Sensfan101 Posted - 06/30/2012 : 13:45:20
Schultz agrees to a two year contract with the Oilers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399611

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
nuxfan Posted - 06/29/2012 : 14:59:35
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

That's kinda how it works for hockey players. Sure – one can say that professional athletes make a lot of money, so that's their trade-off. But when you really think about it, why shouldn't a professional athlete (or any other human commodity) be allowed to select where they want to live, and where they perform their job duties?

They can do so - when eligible as a UFA.

The NHL is a league, and all sports leagues have rules to be followed. If a player doesn't like the rules, they can always choose to play somewhere else where those rules don't apply.
Guest4178 Posted - 06/29/2012 : 11:11:47
Can you image if there was a "hospital super-league" where the best hospitals (or group of hospitals) were able to identify the best medical minds in college or university, and upon commencement, select (draft) these students, for which these selected medical practitioners would be required to work in a selected hospital and/or city?

That's kinda how it works for hockey players. Sure – one can say that professional athletes make a lot of money, so that's their trade-off. But when you really think about it, why shouldn't a professional athlete (or any other human commodity) be allowed to select where they want to live, and where they perform their job duties?

Not to get too philosophical, but there was a time in the movie business when actors were "owned" by the major studios. Times have changed in the entertainment business, but not in the sports entertainment business.

I'm not complaining, because the system in place mostly works, and I understand the premise behind it. If players could choose where they wanted to play (and get the most money from the highest bidder), there would be little or no parity in the league, and the price of tickets would be even higher than they are now. And can you imagine the recruitment efforts (and poaching) which would take place in such a scenario?

Beans15 Posted - 06/29/2012 : 11:06:37
Sorry Slozo. I thought the point was valid in saying that if Schutlz didn't want to play with the Ducks then he didn't have to.
Sheesh. I guess a guy can't try to bring any color or light to a subject. Just the fact, ma'am.

The context of the comment did not warrent that kind of response. I was not making a political comment towards China. I was making a point that peolpe have a choice of who they work for.

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills please.

n/a Posted - 06/29/2012 : 10:34:37
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think this is sour grapes on the part of Anaheim. There is not promise of success at the draft. Not only could the player not turn out but he could do like Schultz and not sign. Unless we are in communist China, people have the choice to their profession and who they want to work for. For what ever reason this kid doesn't want to play in Anaheim.

I don't think the Ducks should be able to chase down a team who is working with the rules. However, the more appropriate question is should the Duck receive some kind of compensation for this draft pick not playing for them?? I know it is a hugely different situation but did NYR not receive a compensatory draft pick when Cherepanov passed away???

This is an interesting situation to say the least.

Beans, I agree that it's sour grapes on the part of the Ducks management, but . . . leave political commentary out of it please. Especially when you know not of what you speak (ie "Communist China" and not being able to choose your job . . . everyone there has a choice of who to work for. Everyone.)

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 06/29/2012 : 09:56:54
I think this is sour grapes on the part of Anaheim. There is not promise of success at the draft. Not only could the player not turn out but he could do like Schultz and not sign. Unless we are in communist China, people have the choice to their profession and who they want to work for. For what ever reason this kid doesn't want to play in Anaheim.

I don't think the Ducks should be able to chase down a team who is working with the rules. However, the more appropriate question is should the Duck receive some kind of compensation for this draft pick not playing for them?? I know it is a hugely different situation but did NYR not receive a compensatory draft pick when Cherepanov passed away???

This is an interesting situation to say the least.

Guest4178 Posted - 06/29/2012 : 09:21:28
Here's an interesting article which offers an opinion on players (like Justin Schultz) who use "loopholes" to their personal advantage: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/27/nhl-should-be-wary-of-justin-schultz-loophole/

In this article, the Ducks (who originally drafted Schultz) have suggested they may consider filing tampering charges to the team who eventually signs Schultz.

I'm not sure if they have a case or not, but I understand the Ducks' frustration. They originally drafted the kid, and due to a loophole, Schultz can now go where he wants. But hey – the rules are the rules, so is it just sour grapes on the Ducks part now?
nuxfan Posted - 06/28/2012 : 17:28:44
yeah, I have to say - I'm not crazy about a hockey player asking for guarantees in playing time or positions in a contract, before he's even stepped on the ice with an NHL team. Players should have to earn their time (like Eberle did), and if he cannot earn his time he should suffer the consequences. There have been rumours that Shultz is asking for certain guarantees (ice time, top-4 pairings, PP time), who knows how true they are though.
Alex116 Posted - 06/28/2012 : 16:01:25
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
"...... He'll be given big minutes and responsibilities in either EDM or TOR - and all the crap that comes with those responsibilities, which is tough for any 22 year old."

Exactly, look how poorly it's worked out for Jordan Eberle.

Hope he sees the potential in Oiler blue, not that other less appealing blue!...........I mean the Lightning of course!

FER.....the humour/sarcasm is as good as always, but the Eberle comparison is totally unfair. Eberle was drafted and earned a spot. He did not come in saying "i want top 4 mins and PP time or i won't sign". Nor did he come in representing somewhat of a gift to the team he signs with. A free top 10 (heard he'd have been top 5) pick handed to you with the ability to sign him to a minimal contract? A guy who's developed 3-4 years further than those just drafted? A guy who appears to be NHL ready and far more mature than those just drafted? Not even close to the same situation as a guy like Eberle. But if Schultz does sign here and the Oilers want him bad enough, i'm sure a swap for Eberle could be worked out?
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/28/2012 : 15:30:21
quote:
"...... He'll be given big minutes and responsibilities in either EDM or TOR - and all the crap that comes with those responsibilities, which is tough for any 22 year old."

Exactly, look how poorly it's worked out for Jordan Eberle.

Hope he sees the potential in Oiler blue, not that other less appealing blue!...........I mean the Lightning of course!
nuxfan Posted - 06/28/2012 : 14:17:47
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
Vancouver - marginal chance to make top 6 (probably through injuries), but play for hometown in comfy, well-known environment

Toronto - decent chance to make top 6, play with your very good buddy (and who you had great success with) Gardiner

I think someone like Shultz has every chance in the world to make top-6 in VAN - and in fact were he to sign, a place in the top-6 would probably be created for him (at the expense of Ballard I hope). However, he has almost zero chance of making top-4 to start the season (although good play could get him there). But top-6 would be pretty much guaranteed.

I too think it comes down to EDM and VAN at this point - while TOR would be appealing for the big market and such, you have to think that the prospects of playing for either a perennial contender or one of the brightest young lineups in the NHL (which he could become part of) would be more appealing than TOR - which is neither of those two things.

I agree with Alex's assessment that he would be substantially sheltered in VAN as well, which might be to his liking early in his career. He'll be given big minutes and responsibilities in either EDM or TOR - and all the crap that comes with those responsibilities, which is tough for any 22 year old.
Alex116 Posted - 06/28/2012 : 13:27:54
Personally i don't think it's gonna be the Rangers. Sure he's got buddies there in Stepan and Mcdonagh (i think it's those 2?) but their D is quite deep compared to some of the others listed. I think it's down to Edmonton, Vancouver or Toronto myself with Ottawa being a longshot and NYR pretty much an afterthought. So, in all likelyhood, he'll be a Ranger next Monday.

Beans, you are correct to say that Vancouver is not improving at the same rate as TO and Edm, but let's face it, there's not nearly as much room for improvement here either. Aside from the obvious, i think one thing that will appeal to Schultz with Vancouver is that there will not be as much pressure on him to perform immediately. The top 3 or 4 D here is pretty solid and he can slide into the 2nd or 3rd pairing with less pressure and still fight for a spot on the top PP unit. Edmonton is similar in that not quite as much would be expected, but in Toronto, if he struggles early, watch out!

In the end, it's only because the price is so cheap, both the fact that you give nothing up to get him and that his salary is capped as a rookie, that i hope the Canucks land him. He's still unproven and the past few, including Brunnstrom, Gustavsson, etc, who've come into the league in similar cases, haven't blown anyone away. This could be a case of being totally overhyped but it's obviously a gamble any team would be willing to make.

Here's an interesting article from the Edmonton Journal about Schultz and the possibility of him coming to Vancouver over some other possible destinations.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Justin+Schultz+comes+down+minutes+Canucks/6854141/story.html

Seems the Canucks are not willing to commit "top 4 minutes" to an unproven player nor should any team really. I mean, we have no idea how good or bad this kid's game could translate to the NHL. Can a team "guarantee" him a top 4 role? Sure, but what if he absolutely sucks? Are they gonna demote him to the 3rd pairing or possibly the press box? I'd like to think so if he's absolutely terrible!
sahis34 Posted - 06/28/2012 : 10:01:02
It'll be edmonton or vancouver
Sensfan101 Posted - 06/28/2012 : 09:48:42
Schultz has narrowed down his list of teams to: Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, and the Rangers.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Beans15 Posted - 06/28/2012 : 08:42:24
Just to squeeze in here, I think Edmonton is in the mix. If a young player is looking for a team to cut his NHL teeth with, there are far worse places then the Great White North. This team is piled with talent his age and if he is looking for the chance to win over a period of time, this is a good place. Toronto is also building a nice piece there, but franking I think Vancouver is not improving at the same rate as the TO and EDM. Also, EDM is more likely the location where Schultz would see a lot of ice. He would likely be top 4 and play a pile of PP time.

TOR and VAN are in the mix, but I think EDM is right there as well.

n/a Posted - 06/28/2012 : 05:20:29
The Bozak example is a very good example, thanks for that guest.

And just like Bozak, Fabian Brunnstrom (yes, I do remember that one) and Jonas Gustavsson (oi vei) there is no guarantee of success whatsoever. In fact, some might say that even getting the very moderate success that the Leafs got from Bozak would be considered awesome.

Well, I think it's between Vancouver and Toronto, myself. The kid, when deciding, will look at the big cities, the chance at endorsements, and at that point, the other cities won't be able to compete with Van and TO. It'll then be between

Vancouver - marginal chance to make top 6 (probably through injuries), but play for hometown in comfy, well-known environment

Toronto - decent chance to make top 6, play with your very good buddy (and who you had great success with) Gardiner

Both cities offer awesome endorsement opportunities; they are big cities, with everything you want; and although Toronto is not nearly as strong a team as Vancouver, it at least looks like a possibility of playoffs (not a bottom feeder, although . . . I said that last year, gulp).

I'd probably give the edge to Vancouver, as my guess is, he chooses hometown, comfy environment, close to his parents' home, etc.

Good luck with that, 'Nucks!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Pasty7 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 18:45:11
I hope Montreal throws their hat into the ring Subban Schultz Tinordi Emelin Gorges Beaulieu Ellis Dietz would look real good moving forward

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Guest4377 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 17:50:50
Lots of players get hyped without NHL experience. They're called first round draft picks, and each first round pick gets lots of hype in their chosen city. And the first half dozen or so overall picks get league-wide hype.

Justin Schultz is in a unique category, a player many believe would have been a top five pick if he were available at this year's draft.

He's a UFA, with a reported 26 teams interested in signing him. And why not. A team didn't have to finish in the bottom five to have a chance to acquire him. And teams don't have to trade a player (or players) to land Schultz. All it costs is money and cap space.

Some teams are reportedly offering him more than just top dollar. This includes assurances he will be on the power play and/or that he will be given guaranteed ice time.

Schultz is in a great bargaining position, and it will be interesting to see which team he chooses.

@valanche Posted - 06/27/2012 : 15:11:40
Seems like a lot of hype over a guy that hasn't played a game in the NHL.... Remember fabian .... Exactly

66 is > than 99
Guest4178 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 14:52:03
But you would agree that the "standard entry level contract" is not the same for every rookie player? Most rookies don't get the maximum amount for minimum pay and/or bonuses.

For example, Bozak may have earned an additional $200k (over his base pay of $875k) by reaching a bare minimum for minutes played, and most entry level players would not get that in their entry-level deal. There were only four entry level players with the maximum $2.85 in bonus money in the 2010-2011 season: Steve Stamkos, John Tavares, Taylor Hall, and Tyler Bozak.

That's pretty good company, and while teams cannot completely provide slam-dunks for bonuses, Bozak had an opportunity to increase his earnings unlike (and to a greater extent) than most entry level players.

I mostly agree with you though – that money won't be the biggest factor. He's likely going to pick a team where he wants to play, and most likely a team that looks to compete for the cup. But the money part (and contract length, etc.) will be a factor to some extent. He (and his agent) will get the maximum contract, just like Tyler Bozak did three years ago.

I know this is a Justin Schultz thread, but I'm curious why Bozak selected Toronto? Does anyone remember why? Did the Leafs put the best deal on the table, or did Bozak just really like the idea of playing (and living) in Toronto?
Guest4315 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 14:38:13
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178
How does this relate to Justin Schultz? Well - it's rare for a young hockey player (one with good talent) to be available as an unrestricted free agent. This will cause Schultz to demand (and get) more money in a contract than what he would see otherwise.

he can't be offered any more than a standard entry-level contract, so he comes cheap and therfore any team putting in an offer will put it the same offer. Schultz goes where he wants not where there is a big bank account.
Guest4178 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 14:24:21
I seem to recall Tyler Bozak being in a similar situation three years ago. He was a 23-year old college player with unrestricted status (and good prospects), and thus, was able to get a lot of offers thrown his way.

Bozak ended up getting the maximum entry-level contract ($875k + $2.850 in eligible bonuses) from the Leafs, and a 2-year deal. I hardly doubt he reached many of his bonus triggers, but he may have got the "minutes played" bonus, bringing his pay up to around $1 million a season.

He started his first pro season with the Marlies, but finished the 2009-2010 season with the Leafs posting 8 goals and 19 assists in 27 games. He didn't improve in his first pro season, tallying 15 goals and 17 assists in 82 games.

He re-signed with the Leafs prior to last season (a 2-year deal at a guaranteed $1.5 million per season), and last season, he did a bit better, with 18 goals and 29 assists in 73 games played.

How does this relate to Justin Schultz? Well - it's rare for a young hockey player (one with good talent) to be available as an unrestricted free agent. This will cause Schultz to demand (and get) more money in a contract than what he would see otherwise.

And that's why some are referring to this as the "Justin Schultz sweepstakes" just like they referred to the "Tyler Bozak" sweepstakes" three years ago.

Guest4315 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 13:50:36
I heard 26 teams are interested with talks of Edmonton, Vancouver, New York Rangers and Toronto being in the top contenders group. Vancouver because they are a local team for him and because they are a playoff contender now. Edmonton because 3 #1 picks and a for sure top 4 spot. Toronto because Schults has a couple old teamates there. New York also has some previous teamates of his and is a playoff contender as well. Also heard he wants a Canadian market. Of course these are rumors and no one knows for sure.
nuxfan Posted - 06/27/2012 : 09:43:31
I personally don't think the Gragnani or Rome moves had anything to do with the possibility of Shultz coming. Gragnani clearly did not impress (coaching staff or the majority of Canucks fans), he was a fish out of water and looked lost on the ice. Rome didn't play much last year, and looked slow when he did. If VAN had faith in either of them they would have been qualified.

I've seen a few reports indicating that Shultz's number 1 is VAN - he's a local(ish) boy, his parents are huge Canucks fans, so all good there. No one can outbid anyone else, so it comes down to the intangibles - and VAN has a mixed bag unfortunately.

They are a top team with a near guarantee of making the playoffs, and play a great defensive system. On the other hand, a spot in the top-4 is not guaranteed. Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler are (probably) not going anywhere, so that leaves one spot for one of Shultz, Connaughton, Tanev, or Salo. I have to believe that VAN is going to make a run at Suter as well, and if they get him, the top-4 is full. Shultz would probably make the top-6 even with Suter, but I'm not sure if he would be happy with that - esp when he'd be nearly guaranteed top-4 on other teams.

Of course, something else could be in the works I suppose. Bieksa and Hamhuis are not going anywhere, but there have been rumours of Edler possibly being up for grabs for the right offer (this time last year he was untouchable, but an up-and-down year and a disastrous playoffs have raised questions), he's going into the last year of his current deal and will be due a healthy raise.

I would like to see VAN get Shultz, at the very least it would give them options for other members of the defensive squad. At best, this guy is the real deal and would significantly benefit the team.
Alex116 Posted - 06/26/2012 : 23:12:35
Reading up more on the rumours of Schultz's intentions i found this, from the Edmonton Journal. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/06/26/edmonton-oilers-fourth-on-the-list-in-the-justin-schultz-sweepstakes-says-oilers-insider-bob-stauffer/

Apparently the Oilers "colour man" on their radio broadcasts thinks the Oilers are in 4th in the derby to land this guy? I hope this guy is correct in his prediction as he has Vancouver as the lead choice do to "home field advantage".

There has been some discussion / speculation around here after Aaron Rome was released, and Marc Andre Gragnani wasn't offered a new deal and thus becomes a UFA. Gragnani was part of the Hodgson deal and a guy the Canucks claimed could contribute on the pp as a quarterback. His uninspiring stint with the Canucks obviously did little to impress them and they've let him become a UFA. Speculation is that they're confident they can sign Schultz and have him step into that role, but there's also thoughts that Kevin Connaughton may be ready to do something similar?

Can't wait for this Schultz kid to decide on his new home....

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page