Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 UFA 2012 Tracker

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 12:28:24
thought i'd start a general thread for all the upcoming signings.

First name of note - Ray Whitney. I do not know how a 40 year old gets a 2 year/9M deal, good for him I suppose? Yeah, he's been productive, but at 40, he's probably not going to get even better next year. I'm a big Whitney fan, but that seems high.
37   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
@valanche Posted - 07/09/2012 : 22:20:29
I thought he would be going to the kings but then I saw this:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012/07/09/shane-doan-strong-mutual-interest-sharks/11076/

Says he's likely going to the sharks.
Makes sense given his age he doesn't wanna be a leader and help mentor young talent. Let's face it Doan isn't getting any younger and will fit in well with the sharks.

66 is > than 99
nuxfan Posted - 07/09/2012 : 21:46:24
July 9 has come and gone, no contract offer for Shane Doan from PHX. According to his agent, there are 12 teams interested, and VAN is a frontrunner. He has expressed an interest in playing here, his wife is from Kamloops, all good things. I'd love to see him in a Canucks uniform next season.
Alex116 Posted - 07/05/2012 : 16:38:34
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

I have to believe that the Devils will be going after Semin now that they lost Parise.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

Man, that's some small consolation for missing out on Parise. Personally, i'd prefer to see Semin hitch a ride back to Russia with Radulov......
Alex116 Posted - 07/04/2012 : 21:40:43
I think the cap increase has basically raised the price on a lot of these guys! But what if it's rolled back in the future? I don't know, but there seems to be some ridiculous amounts being thrown at some average to slightly above average guys!
semin-rules Posted - 07/04/2012 : 19:34:56
Matt Carle signs with Tampa 6yr/$33m aav of $5.5m
seems quite high for a guy who put up 38 points.

Nonetheless, Tampa is certainly getting better. The Southeast will be a good division this year, I can't see Florida taking it this year.
Sensfan101 Posted - 07/04/2012 : 12:40:28
I have to believe that the Devils will be going after Semin now that they lost Parise.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Alex116 Posted - 07/04/2012 : 09:35:34
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Not worth it, and I am glad my boy Burke is staying away from it.

Well, that's one way to look at it Slozo, but i get the feeling that Burkie didn't stand much of a chance of landing either of these guys at this point in their careers. He could have offered them 15 mil each and still not landed them!

However, i do agree that they may never live up to the contracts they've signed, then again, who could for the value of them (to note, i've not heard the details, but from what's being thrown around, there's not many guys worth the dollars i'm hearing!!!). Today's poll on the Team1040 radio here in Vancouver is "which of these two will fail to live up to their new contracts more?". Not a bad question really!

Gotta give it to Minny though, they're committed to winning by the looks of it! Between them, the Avs and the Oilers and the improvements they're all making, the Canucks road ahead has been getting bumpier and bumpier!!!
n/a Posted - 07/04/2012 : 07:27:15
Cannot believe I am going to see Jagr in a Dallas Stars uniform . . . absolutely did not see that coming.

The Detroit Red Wings have reportedly offered Suter some ridiculous 13 year, 90 million dollar contract, with the other teams also offering contracts supposedly in that ballpark as Nashville, Philly, Pittsburgh, Minnesota.

Some teams - specifically, Minnesota - have offered both Suter and Parise deals, to come to the same team as a pair.

The size of these deals, for the players they are, seems incongruent. Frankly, I think at the end of it all, we will see Suter as a pretty good defenceman who was bolstered by an excellent Weber; and Parise will be seen as a decent scorer and playmaker never again to reach his career highs of 45 goals and 94 points.

Not worth it, and I am glad my boy Burke is staying away from it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Shepsky Posted - 07/04/2012 : 04:11:53
Wow, Dallas is going to be a very different team next year, with the addition of Jagr, Roy, Whitney....

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Alex116 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 16:47:05
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1743

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This is the one time of year that I completely agree with Brian Burke. It's shocking how much GM's complete lose their minds on July 1st. Garrison has a single 30 pts season and he gets $4.6 million a year for the next 6 years? Kuba was a castaway 2 yrs ago and he gets $4 million a year? Hurdler is a 50 pt player and he gets $4 million for four years?

If I am Parise and Suter I am giggling like a little school girl. If a guy like PA Parenteau is worth $4 million a year for 4 years than Parise should get somewhere in the range of $20 million a season.

This is baffling to me.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

first off, i think the market is changing completely. salaries are trending up in the last 3-4 years. 50-60 point guys are now worth 4-5.5 MIL for some reason. it doesn't make a lot of sense espescially over these ridiculous lengths (5+ years)

ville leino - 53 points 2010-2011 >> 6 years 27 million >> 4.5 avg
mikhail grabovski - 51 points 2011-2012 >> 5 years 27.5 million >> 5.5 avg

it does seem crazy the way contracts are nowadays. 2nd line players are now in the 3.5-5.5 million a year range and a good first liner costs a team 7+ at the minimum.

i will say one thing about PA Parenteau though, Parise had two more points so i don't know where you get the 20 million a season from. I understand Parise does so much more other than put up points and he has a 45 goal season and i'm not saying theres a single team that wouldn't want him but not everyone can get a suter or parise so sometimes a hudler, parenteau, garisson, is a risky way of making a move.

I think a big reason for this is the cap itself. It's increased, and with inflation, 4.5 mil today is like 3.75-4 mil a few years back. I'm sure that's why Garrison got as much as he did in Vancouver. Back when the Canucks signed guys like Bieksa and Hamhuis, it was known that 4.5 was approx the high end of the salary scale Gillis was willing to pay (his "in house" cap sotospeak). Sure, if a Suter, Doughty, Weber type guy were to come, they'd prob open the vault but they were planning on sticking to this number for the guys they were signing. Garrison is slightly above that by a mere 100K but you need to keep in mind the inflation, the increase in cap, etc.

Same reason i believe the 50-55 pt guys are making more now. Most teams see a profit and thus are willing to spend towards the cap. It was just mentioned on here about how few teams will even reach the cap. Maybe it's just simply been moved too high too fast?

The_Gipper Posted - 07/03/2012 : 15:32:37
according to TSN and the Detroit Free Press, Detroit has offered Suter a 13 year, $90M contract.
@valanche Posted - 07/03/2012 : 14:44:32
JAGR - $4.5 MIL 1 year in DALLAS

Dallas adds more veterans putting together a nice top two lines.
Hopefully Jagr can play the season with no major injuries.
No doubt he will put fans in the seats.

66 is > than 99
Guest1743 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 14:38:27
quote:

This is the one time of year that I completely agree with Brian Burke. It's shocking how much GM's complete lose their minds on July 1st. Garrison has a single 30 pts season and he gets $4.6 million a year for the next 6 years? Kuba was a castaway 2 yrs ago and he gets $4 million a year? Hurdler is a 50 pt player and he gets $4 million for four years?

If I am Parise and Suter I am giggling like a little school girl. If a guy like PA Parenteau is worth $4 million a year for 4 years than Parise should get somewhere in the range of $20 million a season.

This is baffling to me.

first off, i think the market is changing completely. salaries are trending up in the last 3-4 years. 50-60 point guys are now worth 4-5.5 MIL for some reason. it doesn't make a lot of sense espescially over these ridiculous lengths (5+ years)

ville leino - 53 points 2010-2011 >> 6 years 27 million >> 4.5 avg
mikhail grabovski - 51 points 2011-2012 >> 5 years 27.5 million >> 5.5 avg

it does seem crazy the way contracts are nowadays. 2nd line players are now in the 3.5-5.5 million a year range and a good first liner costs a team 7+ at the minimum.

i will say one thing about PA Parenteau though, Parise had two more points so i don't know where you get the 20 million a season from. I understand Parise does so much more other than put up points and he has a 45 goal season and i'm not saying theres a single team that wouldn't want him but not everyone can get a suter or parise so sometimes a hudler, parenteau, garisson, is a risky way of making a move.
semin-rules Posted - 07/02/2012 : 21:28:44
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

As for Jokinen, that's amazing. This guy was pretty much written off a couple years ago. I read earlier today that there may be interest from the Canucks and/or that he'd be a good fit here with Kesler out to start the year. I wanted him in a bad way when he left Fla, but ever since, he's underperformed and i've been glad the Canucks never grabbed him. At 4.5 per at this stage of his career, again i'm happy they didn't land him!

I do agree that 4.5m per year is steep, but I think this is mostly to reach the floor, they have the money and they desperately needed a 1st/2nd line centre and someone with size and experience. Hopefully a change of scenery will do Oli good. He tweeted today that he was very excited to play here and I hope that he preforms up to expectation. I think a 25 goal, 60pt. season IS possible. Should be interesting to watch him play.
nuxfan Posted - 07/02/2012 : 21:28:32
quote:

Beans, it's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? I mean, if you don't get a guy now, they're simply not available later, unless you're trading and in that case, in a perfect world, you're giving up equal assets to get that guy. I do agree though, every year there seems to be overpayment on guys. You just have to hope that the one you get (or your team in our cases), actually performs up to or above his pay scale / expectations.

As for Jokinen, that's amazing. This guy was pretty much written off a couple years ago. I read earlier today that there may be interest from the Canucks and/or that he'd be a good fit here with Kesler out to start the year. I wanted him in a bad way when he left Fla, but ever since, he's underperformed and i've been glad the Canucks never grabbed him. At 4.5 per at this stage of his career, again i'm happy they didn't land him!

Jokinen does seem to have had a resurgence of sorts - he was one of Calgary's top scorers last year with 61 pts, and apparently has turned his life around a bit (problems with the bottle and conditioning). 4.5 per year on a short term deal doesn't seem out of line.

As for the absurdity of July 1 - what are you going to do? On the same day a bunch of guys become available on the market, and 30 teams all want to sign him, they all have cap space, of course there's going to be a bidding war and prices are going to go up accordingly. You can be that guy who chooses to not get involved and doesn't sign anyone, or you can get involved and try to make your team better. Sometimes it doesn't work out, sometimes it does.

And Burke taking the high road here is a bit ironic - weren't Komisarek, Armstrong, and Connolly all July 1 signings in years past that turned into fails?
Alex116 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 20:41:05
Beans, it's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? I mean, if you don't get a guy now, they're simply not available later, unless you're trading and in that case, in a perfect world, you're giving up equal assets to get that guy. I do agree though, every year there seems to be overpayment on guys. You just have to hope that the one you get (or your team in our cases), actually performs up to or above his pay scale / expectations.

semin-rules Posted - 07/02/2012 : 19:00:25
Oli Jokinen to the Jets
2yr/$9m
Beans15 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 18:37:43

This is baffling to me.

n/a Posted - 07/02/2012 : 16:49:15
Great pick-up for Buffalo . . . Ott is worth his weight in gold - as excellent a role player as you'll get.

nuxfan Posted - 07/02/2012 : 15:33:56
not a bad signing for Price, it seems reasonable given the overall goalie market and his role with the team. I wonder if goalies were worried about the Quick signing skewing the market downwards...

Good value to BUF for Roy as well - Steve Ott is one of those players you love to have on your team but hate to play against, I had hoped he'd somehow find his way to Vancouver as well...
semin-rules Posted - 07/02/2012 : 15:24:31
Just a couple more trades/signings here:

1. Carey Prices resigns with Montreal; 6yr/$39m

2. Dallas trades Adam Pardy and Steve Ott to Buffalo for Derek Roy

Boy the Stars are certainly going to have a different look next year. Eakin, Roy, Rome, Whitney. Hopefully it all works out!
Alex116 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 13:32:34
lol, def not in rebuild mode yet again. Wonder if when Iggy retires, they'll rebuild? Maybe just retool?

ETA - Wow, the Flames now have the 2nd highest payroll in the league!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/;_ylt=ApX6GPOK9SuOp.i5h0X4BPGRbcp_;_ylu=X3oDMTFobDU1NHRsBG1pdANCbG9ncyBCcmFuZGluZwRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFBcnRpY2xlQnJhbmRpbmc-;_ylg=X3oDMTMwZG9pbGI3BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDZGY0YjJmYzMtN2ZhNS0zMjc4LTg5NDEtNWNhNzEzZWMxMWJlBHBzdGNhdANuaGx8cHVja2RhZGR5BHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3
semin-rules Posted - 07/02/2012 : 12:48:50
Speaking of Calgary Alex, the Flames signed Jiri Hudler to a 4yr/$16m contract.
Alex116 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 12:20:59
I thought Edm originally too but i'm not sure they have room for him on a top 2 line considering he's a RW and they have Eberle and now Yakupov, not to mention Hemsky at the RW position. I guess guys can play out of position though? He'd be a great mentor for the young guys, that's for sure.

Calgary, who i guess i have to finally realize is yet again refusing to begin a rebuild, will prob go after him if they haven't already. A call from Iggy is likely to come if it hasn't too. I heard he called Wideman to help coerce him to join the Flames so Calgary is def pulling out all stops to get the guys they want.

I haven't followed the whole "Glendale" situation but it sounds like he wants to remain with the Phoenix organization so if all goes well with their deal down there, he may just be staying put in the desert.
nuxfan Posted - 07/02/2012 : 09:26:37
quote:

My main worries are that last year was a mixture of two things. His career year / top end of what you're gonna get AND a result of the situation he was in, playing with Campbell, getting a ton of ice time, etc. But, if his shot is as good as has been reported, you have to figure he'd fit in here on the point on the PP and with the Canucks PP being so good over the past few years, maybe we see similar numbers and maybe even better? The part i liked when i read up on him a bit, was that there were "experts" comparing him to Wideman and saying he's actually better, especially on the defensive side of the puck. He did play 22+ mins a game for Florida which is a solid number, even with PP time.

This is my thinking as well. I read a lot of stuff about "good luck getting points without Campbell", and I'm wondering, do these people know where he's going? He's going to be initially paired with Edler (which may be good for both of them) on top-4 pairing, and will see significant time on one of the best PP units in the league. There will be opportunities for points equal to or better than in FLA.

Another thing to consider - Garrison was a top-2 dman in FLA, and regularly saw the opposing teams best players. He probably will not get that in VAN (that is for Bieksa and Hamhuis), which should allow him to do even more. I have a good feeling about this deal - the more I think about it the more I like it.

Of course, the risk is still there that he was a one-hit wonder, given the Canucks need for a young dman like this, and the unlikelyhood that they'll be able to land Suter or Carle, I think it was a good move by MG to lock up the one guy they went after yesterday.

quote:

As for the other guys still out there, ignoring the 2 big fishies, Doan intrigues me the most. I believe someone mentioned that he's waiting till the 7th to decide, as there's a decision re Glendale which plays into the whole Coyotes mess, which to me means he's seriously open to remaining a Coyote. If he does leave though, there's 29 other teams he could help! I'm not sure what he'd cost, but ANY playoff team would be foolish not to try to get this guy, especially if there's a spot open on their second line for him. Heck, at this point in his career, he could fit in on many 3 lines even and be able to jump up to the 2nd or even 1st when required!

I too am interested in Doan, if he were to become available I'd love to see him in an Canucks uniform. I think the odds are slim, he's an Alberta boy and you have to think both EDM and CAL would be looking at him as well...but he's exactly the kind of player VAN needs on the second line.
Alex116 Posted - 07/02/2012 : 08:59:57
Nuxfan....I'm not sure i like the Garrison signing, however i'll admit, i don't know a ton about the guy and have seen very very little of his play. As far as "cheap", i don't know. With the way the prices have been going and the fact the cap went up, it doesn't sound unreasonable. I'd have preferred to see a 3 year deal but obviously teams were throwing out longer terms at him and if i were in his situation coming off a career year in a contract year, i too would be looking to set myself and my family up for life! Give him credit for taking a "hometown discount" as Bob Mackenzie reported that other teams offered him "Wideman money". Gillis did extremely well to keep in in line with the teams inner rules of economics i suppose. Having said that, i can't give him all the credit as it's obvious that playing at home played heavily into the decision.

My main worries are that last year was a mixture of two things. His career year / top end of what you're gonna get AND a result of the situation he was in, playing with Campbell, getting a ton of ice time, etc. But, if his shot is as good as has been reported, you have to figure he'd fit in here on the point on the PP and with the Canucks PP being so good over the past few years, maybe we see similar numbers and maybe even better? The part i liked when i read up on him a bit, was that there were "experts" comparing him to Wideman and saying he's actually better, especially on the defensive side of the puck. He did play 22+ mins a game for Florida which is a solid number, even with PP time.

Jury is out though. I sure hope he's closer to what we expected from Ballard than he is what we've seen from Ballard? Speaking of Ballard, i really hope they can offload his deal in some sort of trade, maybe with a team looking to reach the "floor"?

As for the other guys still out there, ignoring the 2 big fishies, Doan intrigues me the most. I believe someone mentioned that he's waiting till the 7th to decide, as there's a decision re Glendale which plays into the whole Coyotes mess, which to me means he's seriously open to remaining a Coyote. If he does leave though, there's 29 other teams he could help! I'm not sure what he'd cost, but ANY playoff team would be foolish not to try to get this guy, especially if there's a spot open on their second line for him. Heck, at this point in his career, he could fit in on many 3 lines even and be able to jump up to the 2nd or even 1st when required!

The other guy who interests me though i get the feeling someone's gonna have to open up the vault a little more than most would think he's worth, is Matt Carle. This guy is underrated as far as i'm concerned. Beans, this is a guy i think the Oilers could use as he's not "old", but has some real good playoff experience including a trip to the finals with Philly a few years back. Whether or not he's looking to go to an immediate contender though would obviously play into his decision. But, he's only 27 and if he feels the Oilers are only 3 or 4 years away from being a serious contender, then why not?
n/a Posted - 07/02/2012 : 08:36:26
Shane Doan, Alexander Semin, Matt Carle, Olli Jokinen, Jaromir Jagr and Jiri Hudler still out there.

I am really interested to see where Jagr ends up . . . he's still got game, and could really improve a decent team with need for something to put them over the top.

nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 18:36:52
quote:

Cheap? I agree with the one hit wonder comments. A 27 yr old defensemen with 60 pts in 190 games is a little risky for a 6 yr deal for $27 million. He might be on his up swing but who knows? Risky to say the least.

That being said,via given the opportunity, this might be that 'it' defensemen the I have felt was the missing piece for the Canucks. I just think it's a bit of a gamble based on a less than proven track record over the long run.

Cheap? Relatively. If Salo is signing for 3.75M a year, and Souray is costing nearly the same on a 3 year deal, then 4.5M per year for Garisson seems reasonable. Even over 6 years. According to the Sun, he's taking a bit of a home-town discount, and there were other offers over 5M a season.

While too early to think he might be that stud dman that VAN seems to be missing, there is certainly upside - he's a big body that can play 25 minutes a game, booming shot on the PP, and is good defensively. He's a local, and wanted to come to Vancouver, which is always nice, and he's only 27 so should be entering his prime. The only gamble is will he be able to do the same thing in VAN that he did in FLA (yes, we're all thinking about Ballard), and was last year a high, or a single year in an upward career trajectory for a late blooming dman?
semin-rules Posted - 07/01/2012 : 18:08:50
I am liking what the Stars have done so far. Not re-signing Souray was smart, he was asking for too much and the pickup of Whitney will fill the hole that Ribeiro had left. Even though he is old, I am sure he will put up at least one more 70 point season next year, and even a 50 point season in has 2nd would be a success in my eyes.
I also like the pickup of Rome, Dallas needs to grit on their squad besides Ott.

Tootoo to the Red Wings is also something I didnt see coming
Beans15 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 17:55:47
Cheap? I agree with the one hit wonder comments. A 27 yr old defensemen with 60 pts in 190 games is a little risky for a 6 yr deal for $27 million. He might be on his up swing but who knows? Risky to say the least.

That being said, if giiven the opportunity, this might be that 'it' defensemen the I have felt was the missing piece for the Canucks. I just think it's a bit of a gamble based on a less than proven track record over the long run.

nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 17:24:39
As expected, Garrisson signs in VAN, 6yr/27m deal. Seeing what dmen are getting today this seems cheap . A little worried that he's a one-hit wonder, time will tell
nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:28:38
quote:

2 years 7.5 for Salo. Too rich for my blood, though the Canucks were def better with him in the lineup. I have to think that being another year older means another step slower? But apparently the sticking point with the Canucks was the term. They were only willing to give him a 1 year deal.

Yeah, I have to say I'm glad VAN did not sign him at 3.75 per year, for 2 years no less. Too much risk, last year was his healthiest year since 2004, and even then only had 25 pts. Not worth that much.

But good for Salo to get that deal
Alex116 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 15:13:07
2 years 7.5 for Salo. Too rich for my blood, though the Canucks were def better with him in the lineup. I have to think that being another year older means another step slower? But apparently the sticking point with the Canucks was the term. They were only willing to give him a 1 year deal.
Guest8375 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 14:37:49
salo just ditched the canucks to play with stamkos
nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 13:58:45
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Really like tha habs grabbing Armstrong for 1 million over 1 year it's a good low risk high reward situation for the habs because Armstrong will know if he doesn't perform this year thats it for him in the NHL, and Again he adds toughness much like Prust another good sign for my beloved habs Moen White Prust and Armstrong will bring some much needed grit to the bottom 9 and help create space for the smaller skilled guys,

another notable name signed with colorado 4 years 16 milllion P-A Parenteau

I agree about Armstrong - I was hoping the Canucks would take a run at him, esp at 1M for 1 year, very little downside.

Parenteau to COL, good signing by them, 4M for a young winger that got nearly 70 pts last year.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/01/2012 : 13:40:41
Really like tha habs grabbing Armstrong for 1 million over 1 year it's a good low risk high reward situation for the habs because Armstrong will know if he doesn't perform this year thats it for him in the NHL, and Again he adds toughness much like Prust another good sign for my beloved habs Moen White Prust and Armstrong will bring some much needed grit to the bottom 9 and help create space for the smaller skilled guys,

another notable name signed with colorado 4 years 16 milllion P-A Parenteau

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

nuxfan Posted - 07/01/2012 : 12:30:41
others:

Monster into DET for 2 yr/3M - not a bad pickup for DET as a backup to Howard.

Corvo to CAR for 1yr/2M - again, this guy just can't get away from CAR.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page