Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 SHANE DOAN

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9184 Posted - 07/09/2012 : 22:35:01
Which team will sign Shane Doan?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 07/12/2012 : 11:18:26
If he demands 5 per, then i too wouldn't go beyond 3 years! It's just too risky. He is likely to command that though as his last deal was in the 4.5 per year range and it's unlikely he'll sign this deal for less.
nuxfan Posted - 07/12/2012 : 11:14:45
From what I've read, Doan has absolutely no interest in going to an eastern team. He's west through and through, and will stay in this conference to be closer to his family. There are enough suitors in the west that he'll get what he wants without moving.

As for contract length, its a tough one. Doan's next deal with be a 35+ deal, which means it stays on the books regardless of what the player does (except for LTIR). Doan seems to be in good shape, but he plays a physical game that carries risk as he gets older. I'd like to think he can play at this level for 4-5 more years, but the fact that the cap hit does not come off the books in case of retirement should be in the back of GM's minds.

I would happy to see VAN offer him a 4 year deal, up to 5 per year. If he wants more than 5 per year, I'd like to see that deal drop to 3 years only. Given the frenzy of teams chasing him though I can see a team paying more than that.

n/a Posted - 07/12/2012 : 08:37:36
Well, if Doan is up for it, and it's a bit more money he's after . . . then Toronto might have a good chance at getting him. Who knows - with all of Burke's double talk, him talking about skipping the free agent signings and going straight to trades might just be a smokescreen. Honestly though, that could be his straight up intent, and look here, suddenly it looks like we might get a player of quality, so why not?

If not Vancouver, it might well be a team like Philly (if they they don't get Nash) or Detroit (same).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 21:15:27
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

As much as i'd love to see him here, i don't see the Canucks committing too much to him. I get the feeling he's going to be looking for 4-5M per for 5 years and while he may be worth that in years 1, 2 and maybe even 3, the final two years will likely see him in a far more "roll player" spot. Now, if that's what it takes to get a cup here, you suck it up and sign him but i don't know that he puts us over the top and i wouldn't consider the Canucks the odds on favorite for the Cup if they did get him.

see i think he is exactly what the nucks need. A true and proven war horse leader who will do pretty much anything the coach asks him to do, And also given his consistency over the years and durability i could see him putting up 50 pts a season for another 4 to 5 years he also may be the type to sign at a discount because he wants to go out with a ring... i mean the biggest contract he has ever had was 4.5 million, he doesn't strike me as the greedy type..... the nucks could offer him a 4 year deal, 5 million this coming season, 4.25 next season 3 the following year and 2.25 in the final year which is completely rasonable for both sides

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Pasty, that avg's out to 4mil per year vs the cap, right? I'd be ok with that considering that Vancouver's window to win is prob realistically just 2-3 more years? This is of course with the current core and doesn't factor in any moves them could make or a surprise development or two from a couple younger players? What i'm saying is that the Sedin's could begin to see a decline in play 3 or 4 years from now and unless they find a new top line player or 2 they could be hard pressed to keep up the success they've had. Mix in the expected improvements throughout the west with the Oilers, Wild, etc and the Canucks will def not be a favorite in a few years.

Back to Doan though, 4 mil per would be worth the risk i'd say, but anything upwards of 5 per year and it's getting out of hand and could hurt their rebuild/retool 4 or 5 years down the road. Again, if they win even 1 cup before then i wouldn't care if they gave Doan a 50mil per year contract for the next 10 years into retirement, even if it counted towards the cap!!!
Pasty7 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 14:52:15
quote:

As much as i'd love to see him here, i don't see the Canucks committing too much to him. I get the feeling he's going to be looking for 4-5M per for 5 years and while he may be worth that in years 1, 2 and maybe even 3, the final two years will likely see him in a far more "roll player" spot. Now, if that's what it takes to get a cup here, you suck it up and sign him but i don't know that he puts us over the top and i wouldn't consider the Canucks the odds on favorite for the Cup if they did get him.

see i think he is exactly what the nucks need. A true and proven war horse leader who will do pretty much anything the coach asks him to do, And also given his consistency over the years and durability i could see him putting up 50 pts a season for another 4 to 5 years he also may be the type to sign at a discount because he wants to go out with a ring... i mean the biggest contract he has ever had was 4.5 million, he doesn't strike me as the greedy type..... the nucks could offer him a 4 year deal, 5 million this coming season, 4.25 next season 3 the following year and 2.25 in the final year which is completely rasonable for both sides

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Alex116 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 13:26:57
Pasty7 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 12:37:05
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

It sounds like Vancouver is a frontrunner to me . . . and Doan would make the Canucks scary good on offense. Yikes.

He is exactly the kind of player that if he went to Vancouver, would make them odds on favourites again to win the cup.

Myself, I really don't see him getting pursued by the Leafs, but who knows? It's not like he wouldn't be appreciated here - 'cause he would be.

At any rate, I am super stoked to see Doan come to Canada. Even in Vancouver, I'd see him much more often than I would ever see him in Phoenix. He dserves more exposure . . . he is a solid competitor, a skilled guy, and he's all heart.

Agree Agree Agree , I'll always remeber i think it was Visnovsky got beat by Doan at his own blue line and rather than let doan go in alone he stuck his elbow right out and took out Doan at the head, Doan was down for a couple seconds no call on the play, as Doan skated off the ice he had the wobbly legs that scream concussion ,, 2 shifts later Doan is back on the ice lays a huge clean check on Visnovsky and then forces him to drop the gloves , and Doan pounded him real hard untill Visnovsky turtled, I loved it dirty hit and the guy he hit made him pay for it, Doan is an awsome leader and great guy to have on a team, after a play like that do you think any other ducks were takeing shots at peoples heads?

Add Doan on the Right beside Kesler and that would be a scary line and Doan may be just what Kesler needs to have a bounce back year, plus it may help Kesler's health because he won't feel like he has to do all the crashing and banging with Doan takeing care of much of that

Bob Uecker

n/a Posted - 07/11/2012 : 07:27:07
It sounds like Vancouver is a frontrunner to me . . . and Doan would make the Canucks scary good on offense. Yikes.

He is exactly the kind of player that if he went to Vancouver, would make them odds on favourites again to win the cup.

Myself, I really don't see him getting pursued by the Leafs, but who knows? It's not like he wouldn't be appreciated here - 'cause he would be.

At any rate, I am super stoked to see Doan come to Canada. Even in Vancouver, I'd see him much more often than I would ever see him in Phoenix. He dserves more exposure . . . he is a solid competitor, a skilled guy, and he's all heart.

nuxfan Posted - 07/10/2012 : 09:25:05
west==western conference. I do believe that DET is well in the mix.

From what I read, there is "mutual interest" in DET, SJ, and VAN, and that (for whatever reason) LA is out - perhaps there was more to the outburst after last year's conference final that soured Doan on the Kings franchise?
Alex116 Posted - 07/10/2012 : 08:30:26
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

quote:

Interesting choices considering i hear the Canucks are a team he's very interested in as are the Sharks.

This might be one where 'other' runs away with the vote

66 is > than 99

Considering that everything i've read says he wants to remain in the West to be close to family and that the 3 teams he's most interested in (aside from Phoenix) are LA, San Jose and Vancouver, i think you may be right! OTHER seems to be the easy choice here, unless you stick with Phoenix, which seems to be his #1 choice if things well with their ownership issues.
@valanche Posted - 07/10/2012 : 07:55:05
quote:

Interesting choices considering i hear the Canucks are a team he's very interested in as are the Sharks.

This might be one where 'other' runs away with the vote

66 is > than 99
Alex116 Posted - 07/10/2012 : 06:32:26

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page