Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Semin signs with Carolina

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
semin-rules Posted - 07/26/2012 : 12:30:30
Alex Semin has signed a 1 year deal worth $7mil with Carolina. That sure is a lot of money, I certainly didn't think he was going to get a raise in his salary based on his performance last year, but lets see how he performs in a different atmosphere.

Thoughts?

Here's the article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401505
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4428 Posted - 03/29/2013 : 20:31:33
While Carolina may or may not make the playoffs, Semin is playing very well for the Canes.
foolpittier Posted - 01/16/2013 : 15:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

Ive said it once and Ill say it again. As long as Alex Semin is on your hockey club, you will not be raising the cup at the end of the year. The same goes to Martin Havlat. #GrittyCanadianHockey

hahaha
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 01/15/2013 : 20:14:53
Ive said it once and Ill say it again. As long as Alex Semin is on your hockey club, you will not be raising the cup at the end of the year. The same goes to Martin Havlat. #GrittyCanadianHockey
Guest0602 Posted - 07/27/2012 : 20:06:51
I heard somewhere that Carolina was $4M under the floor so this signing puts them $3M above the floor. Still $7M is a huge amount of cash but only for 1yr and it gets them off the floor. Not so bad now with that context in place.

My guess is Alfie is going to get 4.5M since that's what the Sens need to get to the floor.

Now rumour has it that Doan wants a $30M/4yr deal for any non Phoenix team. Ouch now that is just way too much for a 35yr old. Even Detroit balked at that price. Doan is staying in Phoenix.
Guest5052 Posted - 07/27/2012 : 08:22:41
I am not a huge Semin fan, nor a Canes fan, but I like this pick up by them. Too much money, sure. But those kind of gamebreakers as Semin can be, are hard to find. And Carolina needs exactly that kind of threat and for a team that wasnt in the playoffs last year, its worth the gamble.

Finally they appear still well under the cap so the contract doesnt preclude them from adding if the opportunity arises. And I like the term, i might even taken a two year gamble on him, but one is so much the better. I think he'll have a decent year, 65 points - ish depending on games played.
Beans15 Posted - 07/27/2012 : 05:20:41
If the Canes are planning to play The Staal's on one line then Semin might be a good fit there. He does have piles of talent although he does not show he wants to use it every night. He will likely not get as soft of a ride in NC as he did in DC. Without Ovechkin taking care of the junior, he's going to have stand on his own two feet.

Looking at this signing, Carolina's top 6 is pretty nice. Staal(squared)' Semin, Skinner, Ruutu, and Jokinen. Not tops in the league but it's got some offensive punch and balance throughout.

I know Skinner is a centre but I think if Semin pulls his typical at off routine, there is a very young, talented, and eager kid salivating at the chance to play on the wing with the Family Staal.

With that said, I agree this signing is too much money. It's not like this is the piece they we missing for the Cup.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Guest2343 Posted - 07/26/2012 : 21:29:59
just the simple fact that its a 1 year contract rather than a 13 year contract its low risk high reward. im not saying he is worth 7 mil but neither is parise.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/26/2012 : 21:13:45
Actually i think this is a good signing for the Canes, they were missing a top six offensive threat, sure it's 7 milion but its only for 1 year, and if Parise can get 7.8 or whatever 7 million isn't all that much for Semin,

and i know Parise is a leader and a hard worker and don't get me wrong I would take Parise over Semin everyday of the week but when it comes down to it Semin's job and Parise's job is to create offense and in roughly 30 less games in the NHL Semin has put up 2 less points than Zach Parise,

and sure its his second 54 point season but last year it was 54 pts in 65 games which would put him on pace for right around 69 points in a full season which is what Parise put up this past season.

So yes Parise is a better player, but if he is worth 7.5 mil or so the Semin for 6 million is just about right, so 7 million for 1 year doesn;t seem so ridiculous to me.

Plus Carolina has an excellent managment group and seem to be moving in the right direction i'm calling it now Canes make the past the first round of the playoffs this up coming season,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
n/a Posted - 07/26/2012 : 20:27:24
That is a shocking amount of money for a player who was relatively healthy all year and got 21 goals, 33 assists, 54 pts. The second straight 54 point year, I might add.

His agent should win man of the year, I believe!

And do I think he'll do any better playing with the Staals? Not really, no.

I think Carolina might now be doomed . . . yep. I am sure of it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Shepsky Posted - 07/26/2012 : 19:39:38
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Sorry, but the 7M is 7M too much and the term is 1 year too long. I was hoping the biggest offer for him would be in the 4.5-5 range and he'd take a hike to the KHL for 10+. This guy frustrates the *&%$ outta me!

I WILL NOT PICK HIM IN ANY POOL!

agreed, even before the trade semin was always a pool gamble, will he produce, will he not? maybe the large overpayment will convince him to produce again... maybe he will even play with one or both of the staals, that has to give him some pool value right??

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Alex116 Posted - 07/26/2012 : 18:57:25
Sorry, but the 7M is 7M too much and the term is 1 year too long. I was hoping the biggest offer for him would be in the 4.5-5 range and he'd take a hike to the KHL for 10+. This guy frustrates the *&%$ outta me!

I WILL NOT PICK HIM IN ANY POOL!
Guest9210 Posted - 07/26/2012 : 16:39:43
7 million is definately too much but at least the term is right.
foolpittier Posted - 07/26/2012 : 13:37:12
hmmm, now the question is how well will he do this year by pool standards
?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page