Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Best At The Draft

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
@valanche Posted - 08/13/2012 : 11:26:59
Which team is best at drafting NHL caliber talent consistently?

66 is > than 99
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
@valanche Posted - 08/14/2012 : 14:51:02
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I agree with Slozo on the old guard.

As far as ore recently, it's tough considering some teams have had a string or great positions to pick from. Thinking about teams like LA, Washington, and Pittsburgh, and Chicago, and mostd recently Edmonton, all have had the advantage of numerous picks early in the draft.

I think if you look at the past 5-10 yrs it would be hard to argue the talent that Nashville has been able to find. They have been a playoff team in 6 of the past 7 yrs and haven't had a top 5 pick since 1998. They have drafted excellent players. Obviously Weber and Suter, but also Rinne, Hartnell, Wilson, O'reilly, Blum, Geoffrion, Hornqvist, Ellis, Upshall, Hamhuis, Lindback just to name a few.

Consider this: Suter, Klein, and Weber were all drafted by Nashville in the same draft class. That is sick!

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

I agree I considered Nashville very good but mainly at drafting defense, you can probably throw goaltending in there also. The reason I left them off was few good top 6 forwards have come from Nashville - the only one I can think of is hartnell IMO hornqvist has fallen off since that one great season he had.

66 is > than 99
Guest4315 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 13:17:18
I would say consistently there isn't a team. Team's last longer then their GM/Scout(s). Sure anyone can argue a time or multiple times they had good picks. But those good picks only last as long as their management. NJ and Detroit have done excellent jobs but they have also been around longer then most teams. They also have done poor jobs drafting in their history. Look at Edmonton when they first came in the league they got Kevin Lowe,Mark Messier and Glen Anderson in 79'. Then they got Paul Coffey, jari Kurri and Andy Moog in 80'. In 81' Grant Fuhr. Then what? Mostly average guys until recently. And as for recently no one will be able to tell for at least a few more years.
Pasty7 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 06:43:18
I forget where but i read an article recently, the Habs have drafted the most players currently playing in the NHL, I think Nashville was second but don't quote me on that, unfortunatly the habs have traded away a lot of these players, (Gomez for Mcdonough) coug coug ,,, but drafted none the less by Trevor Timmins, the habs haven't really drafted a superstar recently, some potential in Price Subban and Pacioretty but some solid scouting none the less

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Beans15 Posted - 08/14/2012 : 05:33:06
I agree with Slozo on the old guard.

As far as ore recently, it's tough considering some teams have had a string or great positions to pick from. Thinking about teams like LA, Washington, and Pittsburgh, and Chicago, and mostd recently Edmonton, all have had the advantage of numerous picks early in the draft.

I think if you look at the past 5-10 yrs it would be hard to argue the talent that Nashville has been able to find. They have been a playoff team in 6 of the past 7 yrs and haven't had a top 5 pick since 1998. They have drafted excellent players. Obviously Weber and Suter, but also Rinne, Hartnell, Wilson, O'reilly, Blum, Geoffrion, Hornqvist, Ellis, Upshall, Hamhuis, Lindback just to name a few.

Consider this: Suter, Klein, and Weber were all drafted by Nashville in the same draft class. That is sick!

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
n/a Posted - 08/13/2012 : 16:01:51
Well, it had to be Detroit back in the day . . . they basically started the whole drafting Eurpoeans thing, and their success with late round draft picks turning into superstars is well known. Honourable mention to New Jersey Devils, and I'll say even the Nodiques if memory serves correct.

These days . . . well, if I were to judge on the ability to draft quality players with regularity that aren't in the top ten . . . I'd have to say . . . Anaheim off the top of my head, with honourable mention to Carolina maybe? I'll think about this further though.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
@valanche Posted - 08/13/2012 : 13:12:30
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Montreal got away with some very good looking picks but only time will tell, Charles Hudon is one I am anxious to see as a 16 year old he scored 60points in 63 games in the Q and was over a point per game last season, and the habs scooped him up in the 5th round 122nd overall

How about Brendan Gallagher at 147th

66 is > than 99
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/13/2012 : 12:43:13
I know this may seem biased, but the Ottawa Senators seem to do well at the draft. One of the reasons I always watch the prospect pool and how well the B-sens are doing. 1 in 3 years the B-sens seem to do very well which usually translates into a great next year for the Sens. Sure makes up for the lack or inability to land the big free agent fishes.
Pasty7 Posted - 08/13/2012 : 12:38:57
Montreal got away with some very good looking picks but only time will tell, Charles Hudon is one I am anxious to see as a 16 year old he scored 60points in 63 games in the Q and was over a point per game last season, and the habs scooped him up in the 5th round 122nd overall,.. but only time will tell

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
@valanche Posted - 08/13/2012 : 11:32:02
I think Montreal and Detroit Possibly even the flyers.

66 is > than 99

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page