Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Brooklyn

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mandree888 Posted - 10/24/2012 : 09:50:38
So the Islanders are moving in 2015. to Brooklyn do they change the name from islanders and if so what to? i personally am a fan of the brawlers. Brooklyn Brawlers has a nice ring to it. IMO what do you think?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 10/30/2012 : 06:03:08
The Islanders have averaged around 13,000 for attendance for the past few seasons. If they can find a way to sell out in Brooklyn it will be about 1500 more tickets per game. Without increasing their ticket price that means another $3 million per season.

Unfortunately, their revenues are only about $67 million per season today. That means even if they sell out they will be making about the same as the max salary cap.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Alex116 Posted - 10/30/2012 : 00:34:13
I heard they were gonna remove all the seats and have "festival" seating, aka standing room only? Ok, i'm kidding.....

But, i hope and i think that the name will remain the same. I mean, they're not leaving "the island" nor are they leaving "NY", so why change it????
nuxfan Posted - 10/29/2012 : 21:08:31
capacity for hockey is 14,500, which is crazy small - about 1,000 less than Winnipeg, which was a huge deal when the Jets moved back last year. Of course, Winnipeg has a rabid hockey fan base that was willing to pay high prices to help the team make a profit... Brooklyn probably won't do the same.

With a marginal fan base, I honestly think that 14,500 is too small to be able to make enough money to survive - something will have to give with that stadium.
Guest4178 Posted - 10/29/2012 : 10:20:38
I don't think the team name will change.

I agree that Brooklyn Brawlers sounds better than Brooklyn Islanders, but I think the team name will stay New York Islanders. Too much tradition to give up by changing the name.

n/a Posted - 10/26/2012 : 14:36:21
It certainly looks like the team name is staying the same, and all sources have come out publicly to say that, so it seems like for now it's the Islanders. And they are still on the island, as other posters have pointed out, lol.

It's supposed to be a fairly state of the art facility actually . . . one of a kind. So we'll see how much they can really tinker with seating (how much is capacity, anyone know?).

But I do agree that Brooklyn Brawlers has a nice ring to it . . . certainly better than Brooklyn Islanders . . . not exactly roling off my tongue I have to say. It feels like an awkward phrase, but maybe that's just because I am used to the NY Isles brand.

BUT - prepare yourselves for a new logo at the very least! I mean, they have to get the New York outta there and replace it with Brooklyn . . . and that means a new logo probably (please see the current logo to get what I am alluding to).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
mandree888 Posted - 10/25/2012 : 06:25:51
gotchay nux didnt realize the two where on the same island. lol . i knew brooklyn was in New York but... lol
nuxfan Posted - 10/24/2012 : 12:21:29
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

There are similarities to what's taking place in Edmonton, where Oilers owner Daryl Katz wants a new brand new arena for the OIlers. (However, I believe Wang's proposal was to use private funds, while Katz's proposal requires public money.)

Wang's proposal required public funds as well, in the form of municipal bonds. Individuals would buy the bonds, thereby funding the arena with private money, but the city/county is ultimately on the hook for the repayment of the bond.

The irony of this move is that in going to Brooklyn, Wang seems to be taking a step backwards in terms of arena amenities and seating. The stadium is relatively new however, so they won't get a new one built anytime soon. Perhaps they'll plan to modify it to allow more seating for hockey?

BTW to mandree - no need to change the team name, Brooklyn is on the same island (Long Island) that they currently play on. Just moving down the road.
Guest4178 Posted - 10/24/2012 : 10:33:36
Interesting, but not surprising news.

The Islanders owner (Charles Wang) was looking for a deal to stay in Long Island. (His current lease expires at the end of the 2015 season.) Wang presented a plan to build a new arena, along with housing and retail in the same district, but the community opposed his plans.

There are similarities to what's taking place in Edmonton, where Oilers owner Daryl Katz wants a new brand new arena for the OIlers. (However, I believe Wang's proposal was to use private funds, while Katz's proposal requires public money.)

The Islanders and Oilers have the two oldest rinks in the NHL, so one could make the argument that both teams (one a dynasty in the early 80's, the other a dynasty in the late 80's) need a new arena, with all the features (extra seats, more luxury suites, etc.) which provide economic benefits to stay competitive in the NHL.
nuxfan Posted - 10/24/2012 : 10:05:15
Brooklyn is a good move for them - much higher population base from which to draw on. The only downside, apparently the hockey capacity of that stadium is 14,500! That is pretty low by modern NHL standards.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page