Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Anybody excited for the Spengler cup

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/10/2012 : 19:06:59
With the NHL season on hold till at least Dec 30th, this brings the possibility of an allstar cast at the Spengler cup. Figured I'd bring a positive topic to talk about as most of us like talking hockey not lockout. Who would you pick to represent Canada of the eligible players?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4178 Posted - 01/02/2013 : 14:26:58
I've never really paid attention to this tournament in the past, but I decided to tune into a few games this year (including the final), in part, because of the NHL lockout. While there were a number of recognizable names playing, I wasn't exactly blown away by the level of play, and the format does not exactly invite or captivate a lot of interest to me as a hockey fan.

I'm sure there is some interesting history to this invitational hockey tournament, but aside from Canada and the host team (HC Davos), can anyone name the four other teams which played in the event this year. (Here are two of them: Salavat Yulaev and HC Fribourg-Gotteron.)

In the final, it was kinda weird seeing Canada face off against a team (HC Davos) which included two Canadian players (Joe Thornton and Rick Nash) in the Davos lineup. Also in the Davos lineup were Petr Sykora, Patrick Kane and Louie Eriksson. (A Czech, American and Swede to round things out.)

As a Canadian, I'm usually beaming with pride when Canada wins any hockey tournament, but with the Spengler Cup, I didn't really feel the same kind of national pride as any other event. I'm not just comparing it to the Olympics or the World Juniors either.

I don't mean to disrespect the tournament (or its history, which includes Canada as a long-time participant), but after years and years of not tuning in, I will go back to the same (not tuning in) in future years.

I will make one last point about this tournament. They don't miss a beat with sponsorship. Players jerseys were plastered with advertising, and even the officials jerseys were sponsored in this year's event. A Swiss dairy company's name was featured on the officials' jerseys, and the jerseys themselves looked like a dairy cow. I'm sure the referees all heard it from the players about "looking the udder way" when missing a call, which is what I will do when the Spengler Cup is on TV in future years!
Guest2654 Posted - 12/12/2012 : 12:52:17
not as much for the spengler cup, but i have never been more anxious for the world junior tournament than this one to begin.
nuxfan Posted - 12/12/2012 : 12:50:59
not really - but I am looking forward to the juniors this year more than usual... starving for hockey.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page