Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Goalie Dilemma

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4222 Posted - 01/30/2013 : 13:28:48
Well I have Fleury and Backstrom as my goalies, however I am highly considering trading one of them for Crawford. First off should I even deal out any of my goalies as still to early to predict how they will do, and if so which one would you trade for Crawford?

Thanks for the help boys. Cheers.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 02/01/2013 : 13:40:12
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4315

Sorry forgot Backstrom got traded. I know newb right .
Anyways 'When looking forward it is wise to look to the past as the past often repeats itself.'
Not always does this apply but with Crawford's history his future doesn't look to bright, injury wise. The point I was trying to make is these 3 goalies all (at least to me) have a fairly high risk.
Backstrom - He's getting old
Crawford - Has injuries
Fluery - A lot of hype here. Is he Elite? Not against Philly in the playoffs.
Therfore making a trade for Crawford might bite you in the a** if he bombs or gets injured.
Also i'm pretty sure the wild with the acquisition of Parise and Suter along with the rise of Granlund have a nice chance of doing better than Washington and Chicago. Not saying it's gonna happen but the Wild look a lot better.

Dude.

1. Backstrom did not get traded, he has been the goaltender for MIN for his entire NHL career. His performance peaked about 4 years ago, and he has been in decline since that time, as he gets older.

2. Crawford, to my knowledge, has not suffered a serious injury during his NHL time. There is no injury history. He is currently in his 4th NHL season, and is coming off back-to-back 30+ win seasons, where he only started 55-ish games each year.

3. Fleury has "a lot of hype" because he is a legit big name big game goalie. 7 NHL seasons, 1 stanley cup, another trip to the finals, and is coming off a pretty stellar 40 win season playing for one of the strongest teams in the east. I'd say he's earned his hype - regardless of a single bad playoff series.

Any professional sports figure has some risk, but if you had to choose 2 of the above goalies for either a single season or keeper pool, I'm pretty sure most people would take Crawford and Fleury. I might take your argument a little more seriously if your facts were correct.
Guest4315 Posted - 02/01/2013 : 13:08:33
Sorry forgot Backstrom got traded. I know newb right .
Anyways 'When looking forward it is wise to look to the past as the past often repeats itself.'
Not always does this apply but with Crawford's history his future doesn't look to bright, injury wise. The point I was trying to make is these 3 goalies all (at least to me) have a fairly high risk.
Backstrom - He's getting old
Crawford - Has injuries
Fluery - A lot of hype here. Is he Elite? Not against Philly in the playoffs.
Therfore making a trade for Crawford might bite you in the a** if he bombs or gets injured.
Also i'm pretty sure the wild with the acquisition of Parise and Suter along with the rise of Granlund have a nice chance of doing better than Washington and Chicago. Not saying it's gonna happen but the Wild look a lot better.
Alex116 Posted - 01/31/2013 : 22:43:38
I do agree with one point that the confused guest made. Its important to make sure that IF trades are limited, you use them wisely. The difference between Backstrom and Crawford may be less than what he could possibly make up elsewhere.
nuxfan Posted - 01/31/2013 : 20:50:40
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4315

Not trying to be rude but if Crawford get's injured your whole theory gets blown up. Also Washington has as good a chance of winning as Chicago. They were best in the East a couple years ago before some injuries. What's to stop them from grabbing another high profile player that put's them back on top? I'm not saying it's gonna happen but it could and if Broduer can still own than so can Backstrom in the right circumstances. Which isn't that far out of reach for Washington. All i'm saying is it's not the easiest choice so if trade's are limited than your points might be better increased somewhere else.

You have your Backstrom's mixed up. We're all talking about the Backstrom that plays goal for MIN - who have a decidedly smaller chance of winning the cup, or even making the playoffs at all. Does that change your outlook on this trade?

As to injuries, anything could happen. Crawford could get injured, Backstrom could get injured. Both could get hit by cars tomorrow and end their careers. I personally can't make trades worrying about the various things that may happen - you have to go based on what you know now, and what you can reasonably project going forward. It seems reasonable to me that CHI will do better than MIN this year, therefore Crawford should do better than Backstrom.
Guest8804 Posted - 01/31/2013 : 20:45:01
It's safe to assume we are referring to the Minnesota Goalie and not the Washington Centre (I think that's your confusion when you mention that Washington could improve ??).
Saying that the theory all changes if a player gets injured doesn't really have any consideration unless you are intimating that Crawford is injury prone, which is not really the case. With that logic, trading Curtis Glencross for Steven Stamkos is a bad trade because "what if Stamkos gets injured?"
Guest4315 Posted - 01/31/2013 : 17:36:49
Not trying to be rude but if Crawford get's injured your whole theory gets blown up. Also Washington has as good a chance of winning as Chicago. They were best in the East a couple years ago before some injuries. What's to stop them from grabbing another high profile player that put's them back on top? I'm not saying it's gonna happen but it could and if Broduer can still own than so can Backstrom in the right circumstances. Which isn't that far out of reach for Washington. All i'm saying is it's not the easiest choice so if trade's are limited than your points might be better increased somewhere else.
nuxfan Posted - 01/31/2013 : 14:04:26
Regardless of Alex's (good) criteria, Backstrom for Crawford seems like a no-brainer.

Backstrom - 34 years old, in the last year of his contract, playing on a team that will likely finish middle of the pack

Crawford - 28 years old, mid-contract, playing on a team that should finish high this year and in years beyond.

Unless the goaltending stats are something bizzare, we can assume that wins and SO's will feature prominently in the stats. If this is a single season pool, Crawford looks to finish better than Backstrom, simply because he plays for a better team and should get wins. In a keeper pool the trade looks even better, given that CHI is built to be a dominant team for years to come.
Guest4315 Posted - 01/31/2013 : 13:59:04
I think that's a tuff one. There is a good chance you will kick yourself in the a** later, regardless of what you do. It really is going to boil down to what Alex mentioned with his 1/2/3.
nuxfan Posted - 01/30/2013 : 15:41:20
For Crawford, I would consider letting go of Backstrom. I would not trade Fleury though.
Alex116 Posted - 01/30/2013 : 14:45:14
It really depends on a lot of things such as:
1. How many trades are you allowed
2. Scoring criteria for goalies
3. 1 year pool / keeper

Regardless of which type, i'd prob jump at the opportunity to pick up Crawford for Backstrom. Not only do i have high expectations for the Hawks, but i think that Harding is going to steal A LOT of starts from Backstrom AND could even take over the starting roll if Backstrom falters OR gets moved at the deadline.
Guest4500 Posted - 01/30/2013 : 13:33:50
I would keep them both for now

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page