Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 Bean's 80's Trivia

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beans15 Posted - 12/27/2006 : 09:40:15
I am jumping on the Trivia train! I got a great book that is all about hockey in the 80's. From reading part of it, it is loaded with really great trivia.

For the first question:

It is easy to answer who had the most points through the 80's (Gretzky) but who had the second most points though the 80's??
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4822 Posted - 07/01/2013 : 18:00:47
Since I asked the question five days ago and nobody has even guessed at the fifth answer for two days, I'll give the final answer to the first of five players to win the Conn Smythe from a losing team. His name was Roger Crozier who won in 1966 as a Detroit goalie. As mentioned already, the others were Glenn Hall for St. Louis in 68, Reggie Leach for Philly in 76, Ron Hextall for Philly in 87 and J.S. Giguere for Anaheim in 2003.
Alex116 Posted - 06/29/2013 : 11:54:26
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4822

I'm still awaiting the fifth player to win the Smythe from a losing team. To recap, the four correct guesses were: J.S. Giguere, Ron Hextall, Reggie Leach & Glenn Hall. The one left was the first non-Cup winner of this award. It was in 1966, by a Detroit goalie; they lost to Montreal in the finals. He later played for Buffalo and his initials were R.C.

I've googled it outta frustration but pretty sure I wouldn't have remembered him even with the initials!
Guest4822 Posted - 06/29/2013 : 11:14:56
I'm still awaiting the fifth player to win the Smythe from a losing team. To recap, the four correct guesses were: J.S. Giguere, Ron Hextall, Reggie Leach & Glenn Hall. The one left was the first non-Cup winner of this award. It was in 1966, by a Detroit goalie; they lost to Montreal in the finals. He later played for Buffalo and his initials were R.C.
Guest4822 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 19:09:01
No, sorry it wasn't Gerry Cheevers, but a good guess. Another clue is that the guy played with Detroit, when he won the Smythe. I also know for sure that he later played for Buffalo.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/27/2013 : 14:57:44
Cheevers? Probably not.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Alex116 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 14:37:38
quote:

Excellent work Oil in Ontario for guessing Reggie Leach of the Flyers in 1976 correctly, when Montreal swept them and to Fat Elvis Rocks for guessing Glenn Hall of St. Louis correctly, after also getting swept by the Habs.

To recap, you guys have gotten four of the five; namely, Giguere, Hextall, Leach & Hall. You need one more. He was a goalie in the 60s & 70s era and he was the first player from a losing team to win the Conn Smythe.

Yikes, even with the clue i have no idea, though i bet my father would know!
Guest4822 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 14:32:14
Excellent work Oil in Ontario for guessing Reggie Leach of the Flyers in 1976 correctly, when Montreal swept them and to Fat Elvis Rocks for guessing Glenn Hall of St. Louis correctly, after also getting swept by the Habs.

To recap, you guys have gotten four of the five; namely, Giguere, Hextall, Leach & Hall. You need one more. He was a goalie in the 60s & 70s era and he was the first player from a losing team to win the Conn Smythe.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/27/2013 : 08:22:11
I'll take a stab at it and say Glenn Hall, whatever year he went to the finals with St. Louis, 1968?
Alex116 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 08:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Reggie Leach 1976.

Yup, that's the one i noticed when i googled that other question. Would NEVER have remembered it though, as i was just a toddler back then!
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/27/2013 : 06:44:19
Reggie Leach 1976.

Guest4822 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 21:11:29
Alex: Thanks for the answer on the different #'s, we did change computers in the past few years, so that's probably it. Thanks, for the " beyond impressive"remark", but I sense there's still some doubt with "suspect, " but anyway it is what it is....no googling here.

Regarding the question, you're right on J.S. Giguere in 2003 for Anaheim who lost in seven games to New Jersey. Ken Dryden is not right, although he won it in 1971 when his Habs beat my Hawks in seven games in the finals. You're also right that one winner is in the 70's ( forward ) and the other two are in the 1960's.....both are goalies.

So far, of the five, you guys have Ron Hextall in 1987 for the Flyers & J.S. Giguere for Anaheim in 2003.
Alex116 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 20:37:50
guest #'s seem to change now and then, and while I don't know for a fact, I think it's from different computers and maybe different "wifi" spots if you're on a mobile? I'm no computer guy either, but the best way to avoid that is to sign up!

Apologies for doubting you, but remembering exact years like that, from 40 odd years ago (when you were only 10 or 11) is beyond impressive, thus suspect.

As for your question, I know JS Giguere won it for Anaheim in a losing effort in the early 2000's but can't recall the year for sure? 03? 04? I would have nailed the Hextall one, though would have been totally guessing at the year as well and I know one of the ones which was in the 70's but I won't say the answer. I didn't use google for it, but I do remember googling Bean's question after it was said and done (was checking the years on your Parent answer) and I saw this person's name. Won't spoil it for others. Can't think of any others so if they're pre mid 70's, I likely would have trouble naming them! My only guess would be Dryden in the early 70's?
Guest4822 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 18:52:57
To 4096: Ron Hextall is correct & the year was 1987....Philly lost to Edmonton in seven games. You're also right that another winner was in the early 2000's and I don't know your age, but the other three were all prior to 1987. Also, four of the five were goalies. By the way, Claude Lemieux won in 95 for New Jersey who swept Detroit.
Good work.
Guest4096 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 18:43:04
quote:
OK Alex & Beans, it's disappointing that you're still not
On the Conn Smythe trophy topic, there were five winners from the losing team in the Cup Finals. Name all five, their team & the year. Good luck and no googling boys !!!

I know one of these for sure. I'm guessing most of these are goalies.

Hextall with the Flyers - for sure. The year is a toughie but I'll go with 95.
I think there was another one in the early 2000s but can't put my finger on it.

I'm guessing all the other ones are before my time.
Guest4822 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 17:23:18
OK Alex & Beans, it's disappointing that you're still not convinced that I knew the trivia answers without looking them up, but anyway it's the truth. No offence, but I didn't think those questions were that difficult. I mean I had to think about it for a bit ( especially the Non- Canadians), but by the time I actually noticed the question ( as I don't log in everyday), most of the answers were already given. I've given correct answers ( and wrong ones too ) on this particular forum in the past, but they were never questioned. I didn't go through the whole list, but for a quick look, I guessed Bryan Trottier correctly for playoff consective games points streak, but also guessed Peter Forsberg incorrectly on the same question. I have no idea why my Guest # was different than this one, ( I'm not a computer guy ), but I can assure you it was me. Anyway, enough of that, here's a trivia question for you.
On the Conn Smythe trophy topic, there were five winners from the losing team in the Cup Finals. Name all five, their team & the year. Good luck and no googling boys !!!
Beans15 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 08:04:41
I agree with Alex. Clearly we can not prove who googled and who didn't, but to know the exact year that Parent and Orr as well as Malkin????

Really???

I get some people know a lot about a lot, but it does look suspect.

If you are a fan of trivia, by all means post some questions!

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Alex116 Posted - 06/26/2013 : 00:04:16
If you say so. But I gotta be honest. At 10/11 years old, I was a huge hockey fan, but there's no way in the world I could remember who won the Conn Smythe those years!!! If you said you were a Flyers fan, it'd make a little more sense.

Bottom line, i'm not saying you googled it, but it def looks suspect. Either way, no harm done, it's just a trivia question.
Guest4822 Posted - 06/25/2013 : 19:28:52
Sorry to break it to you Beans15 & Alex116, but no googling from me. It's not hard to know that Bernie Parent won in 74 & 75. I'm 49 years old, so I was 10 & 11 years old at the time. I know a lot of sports trivia, particularly hockey & baseball. Just because somebody knows a trivia answer, it doesn't mean they googled it. It's insulting for you both to feel that way. I'm sure there are lots of other trivia buffs who knew that answer too. Anyway, I enjoy your trivia, so keep your questions coming. I would have responded earlier, but I was celebrating my Chicago Blackhawks winning their second cup in four seasons and fifth overall, and no, I didn't have to google that either.
Alex116 Posted - 06/24/2013 : 22:58:41
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Great googling guest!!

Lol, my thoughts exactly! At least he didn't post his answer immediately after you asked the question! Lol...
Beans15 Posted - 06/24/2013 : 08:51:59
Great googling guest!!

Who in their right minds know the exact years of Bernie Parent winning 2 Conn Smythe's???

Way to go!!

Non Canadian Winners of the Conn Smythe:
1 - Lidstrom
2 - Zetterberg
3 - Thomas
4 - Leetch
5 - Quick
6 - Malkin

More than one Conn Smythe:

1- Roy - 3
2- Lemieux - 2
3- Gretzky - 2
4- Orr - 2
5- Parent - 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Guest4822 Posted - 06/23/2013 : 09:36:56
The other multiple winner was Bernie Parent in 1974 & 1975 with Philadelphia.

Guest 9808 nailed the other one, Bobby Orr won in 1970 & 1972. 9808 also got E. Malkin right too....in 2009 as a few others have just agreed.
Guest4041 Posted - 06/23/2013 : 08:00:27
it's definitely Malkin. he won it the year the Pens won the Cup in 2009.
Alex116 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 20:41:58
Malkin's gotta be correct if Beans says the last one is still active.

Multiple winners part.....how about Niedermayer? Did he win one in Jersey?

Completely forgot that Roy won 2 in Montreal!! That def rules out my Claude Lemieux pick for multiple winner? He def won one I know, but was there a second?
Guest9808 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 19:34:00
quote:

1 - Lidstrom
2 - Zetterberg
3 - Thomas
4 - Leetch
5 - Quick
6 -

1- Roy - 3
2- Lemieux - 2
3- Gretzky - 2
4- ????? - 2
5- ??????- 2

I'll go with Malkin for the non-Canadian.

Bobby Orr and Dryden. At least one of the remaining 2 has to be a Canadiens from the dynasty era.
Beans15 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 18:43:05
1 - Lidstrom
2 - Zetterberg
3 - Thomas
4 - Leetch
5 - Quick
6 -

1- Roy - 3
2- Lemieux - 2
3- Gretzky - 2
4- ????? - 2
5- ??????- 2

Forsberg is not correct nor is Mikita. The last not Canadian was not that long ago. He's an active player.

Roy is the only player to win the Conn Smythe more than 2 times.

Still missing one non-Canadian and 2 multiple winners.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/21/2013 : 17:27:32
Messier won an early one, but missed out on the Smythe for the '90 cup, did he get one in between? I think Gretz only got two. And maybe Stan Mikita for a non-Canadian?

Alex116 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 16:25:35
Fedorov win one?
Alex116 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 16:23:55
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I checked and Thomas and Quick are the final 2 non Canadian hockey winners. Just need 2 more multiple winners.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

I had Thomas in my picks. Quick is another but i guessed at Forsberg and Beans didn't include him so i'm guessing he's not a correct answer. So, there should still be one more, no?
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/21/2013 : 16:21:49
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I checked and Thomas and Quick are the final 2 non Canadian hockey winners. Just need 2 more multiple winners.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Actually no, Thomas was already named. FYI.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/21/2013 : 16:20:39

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/21/2013 : 16:13:22
Non- Canadians

Jonathan Quick - how 'quick'ly we forget

That's all I got!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/21/2013 : 16:10:53
quote:

1 - Lidstrom
2 - Zetterberg
3 - Thomas
4 - Leetch
5 -
6 -

1- Roy
2- Lemieux
3- Gretzky
4-
5-

Lefleur and Bossy are both wrong as multiple winners. None of the correct number of wins is correct.

Tim Thomas, Forsberg for Conn Smyth would be my guess for the final 2 non Canadian's.

Beans15 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 14:58:20
1 - Lidstrom
2 - Zetterberg
3 - Thomas
4 - Leetch
5 -
6 -

1- Roy
2- Lemieux
3- Gretzky
4-
5-

Lefleur and Bossy are both wrong as multiple winners. None of the correct number of wins is correct.

Alex116 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 13:20:24
Wow, good questions.....

For non Canadians, i'll go with the obvious one inTim Thomas. As a Canucks fan, i recall, with heartbreak, that Brian Leetch ripped it outta Kirk Maclean's hands in '94. Aside from those, i'm assuming, but just more of a guess, that Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Forsberg may have all won at least one as well???

As for more than one, i'd say Gretzky, Roy and Lemieux as educated guesses? As all out guesses at the other multiple winners, i'd go with Lafleur and Bossy?

As for number of times? Yeesh, no idea? Let's go with Gretzky 4, Roy 2 and Lemieux 3? If Bossy and/or Lafleur are correct, then 2 each?
Beans15 Posted - 06/21/2013 : 12:59:06
This isn't 80's trivia exclusively but I thought this was pretty cool.

The Conn Smythe has been awarded 47 times to 41 players. Only 35 of those players are/were Canadian.

Can you name the 6 non-Canadian player to win??

Can you name the 5 players who won the Conn Smythe more than once?? How many times did each win??

No google!

Alex116 Posted - 02/09/2013 : 10:48:31
Guest 4587 nailed it.

Brian Trottier had an amazing 27game streak over three consecutive playoff years! He scored in 7 straight games in 1980, 18 straight in 1981 and 2 games in 1982! He totalled 42 points during this streak. His 18 game streak is the longest in one playoff year as well!
Guest4218 Posted - 02/09/2013 : 09:43:35
Eric Staal?

I believe he had a 20+ game point streak the year Carolina won the cup.
Then the year they went to the conference finals I believe they had a near perfect record whenever he got a point. Man does he love playoffs.
Guest4587 Posted - 02/09/2013 : 09:32:49
How about Bryan Trottier of the Islanders ?
Guest7609 Posted - 02/09/2013 : 02:45:32
I wanna say Reggie Leech (Leach?) the year he won the Conn Smythe ...or that might be too far back...
Alex116 Posted - 02/08/2013 : 20:44:29
Nope, and no one's got the right team yet even.....

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page