Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ryder for Cole

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 02/26/2013 : 15:42:27
Montreal has traded Eric Cole for Mike Ryder,

what a great trade for Montreal Ryder had equal production last year to Cole. Ryder is a little bit younger and most importantly Bergevin got a contract off the books for a guy who is a FA at the end of this season, what was Dallas thinking?

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pasty7 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 14:12:26
Where are all the owners supporters now? what a joke

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Guest4350 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 11:27:13
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
Getzlaf and Perry for 5M each? They both make more than that now, are you suggesting they'll each take pay cuts next season? Good luck with that.

64M cap or not, elite players are going to get elite money. Perry and Getzlaf are both elite players that will command elite money. The only way I see them both getting 5M a year cap hits is if they stay with ANA, and the GM makes the sales pitch of the year to keep them both for the same cap hit on long term deals with the intent to build around them.

Regarding Ryder - you have a player making 3.5M a year now, that is coming of a 60 point season in DAL, and was enroute to matching that (prorated for the shorter season). What do you think 30g/60pt players are worth? As a UFA, someone is going to throw 5M a year at him.

If GMs are stupid enough to give an unproven second line centre $5M per with the second year at $6.5M, then it just shows the lockout was for for show by the owners. Heck might as well give Ryder his $6M/year and Perry and Getz will be getting their $7.5M+ per each.

The GMs and owners can't be complaining about salary escalation if they are hurting themselves mere months after the lockout. They'll continue to lose money every time they give out these superstar contracts for above average players. I would have thought there would be a salary reset like Bergevin with PK.
Guest0045 Posted - 02/28/2013 : 19:03:20
habs making a splash in the offseason. keeping the cash for resigning subban + new signings
Guest0045 Posted - 02/28/2013 : 19:02:04
kaberle gionta bourque are all moving = corey perry comes to montreal!!
The Duke Posted - 02/28/2013 : 15:44:17
I wonder how Ryder feels going back to a team who clearly didn`t want him in the past ? Guess this will be a short stay.
n/a Posted - 02/28/2013 : 06:40:49
It's probably a good deal for both teams.

Montreal knows it's not a real "first place team", and it's a smart GM move to get a cheaper contract that isn't UFA for a guy who although less physical/big perhaps bring pretty much the same game to the table. And he's having a much better year, and is familiar with many of the Habs from the past.

On Dallas' side . . . they have acquired a bigger, tougher winger - something they needed - for a guy that, although underachieving now, is a solid scoring threat. Dallas is building for a run this year, and they have all the scoring they need, they upgraded in grit/physicality.

I know at first glance it seems like a win for Montreal - especially if you just look at stats - but I think it's a good trade by both GMs.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2013 : 13:33:51
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4350

quote:

Dallas may have been thinking that they won't be able to keep Ryder after this year, as a UFA he's likely to get several offers in the 5M per season range and perhaps its unlikely that he'd choose DAL as a destination. On the other hand, Cole is under contract for 2 more years, and DAL does not have cap issues to worry about.

MTL may not be able to keep him either, but in their case getting rid of Cole's cap hit of 4.5M next season might have been more important. MTL has 12M in cap space to sign 7 players next year, one of which will be Desharnais who is probably going to cost 3M of that alone.

There is no way Ryder will be getting a $5M/year deal next year. That is almost 10% of the cap which is an elite level salary which Ryder is not. I think $5M /year is what you can expect for Getzlaf and Perry with the cap going down to $64M.

Great trade by MTL to get rid of the salary albatross.

Getzlaf and Perry for 5M each? They both make more than that now, are you suggesting they'll each take pay cuts next season? Good luck with that.

64M cap or not, elite players are going to get elite money. Perry and Getzlaf are both elite players that will command elite money. The only way I see them both getting 5M a year cap hits is if they stay with ANA, and the GM makes the sales pitch of the year to keep them both for the same cap hit on long term deals with the intent to build around them.

Regarding Ryder - you have a player making 3.5M a year now, that is coming of a 60 point season in DAL, and was enroute to matching that (prorated for the shorter season). What do you think 30g/60pt players are worth? As a UFA, someone is going to throw 5M a year at him.
Guest4350 Posted - 02/27/2013 : 12:36:29
quote:

Dallas may have been thinking that they won't be able to keep Ryder after this year, as a UFA he's likely to get several offers in the 5M per season range and perhaps its unlikely that he'd choose DAL as a destination. On the other hand, Cole is under contract for 2 more years, and DAL does not have cap issues to worry about.

MTL may not be able to keep him either, but in their case getting rid of Cole's cap hit of 4.5M next season might have been more important. MTL has 12M in cap space to sign 7 players next year, one of which will be Desharnais who is probably going to cost 3M of that alone.

There is no way Ryder will be getting a $5M/year deal next year. That is almost 10% of the cap which is an elite level salary which Ryder is not. I think $5M /year is what you can expect for Getzlaf and Perry with the cap going down to $64M.

Great trade by MTL to get rid of the salary albatross.
@valanche Posted - 02/27/2013 : 11:18:16
I think Cole is a better fit in Dallas with the style of play they are using this year. I tink Cole can find his game again playing with Jamie benn, Jagr, and Morrow - all players with a much more similar playing style to Coles.

Straight up I think player for player it is reasonably even. I don't understand why Dallas threw in the pick which I believe was a third rounder. With Montreals drafting ability it could end up being the pick that makes this trade uneven.

66 is > than 99
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 02/27/2013 : 09:49:47
Both are 50-60 point players, but with the prior injury history to Cole, I think his career longevity is shorter with the style of hockey he plays, plus he is older. This to me was a clear cut win for Montreal, cap space, better statistical performance this year, younger player with similar career stats and the possibility to lock him up, maybe for less than Cole, over a longer term should they clear up the cap space and the flexibility to let him go should he not fit into there long term plans. I wonder why Dallas made this trade, as I am not familiar with this team. Anybody more familiar with Ryder or Dallas?
Alex116 Posted - 02/27/2013 : 07:39:41
While this trade may help both teams, you just can't ignore the fact that Bergevin scored big by getting Cole's deal off the books. Ryder, like Cole, had a good year last year, only this year, he's continued to put up numbers, unlike what we've seen from Cole thus far.

Also, i agree with Pasty that the Habs are not a true contender for 1st in the east and while they may be able to make some noise in the playoffs, this deal shouldn't hinder that whatsoever. In fact, with the way Cole's been playing, this could/should help them.

Great deal for the Habs!
Pasty7 Posted - 02/27/2013 : 05:19:25
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4271

Does anyone think this is the build up to Montreal trying to package something together now to get Reilly out of Colorado??

That would put a better twist to this for me.

no, the habs are deep in the middle, Plekanec Eller Deharnais and Galchenyuk are all top six centers (maybe less so Eller but still with potential) the habs are going to have to make room for Galchenyuk to be their top center by dealing either Deharnais and Plekanec, i don`t see why they would bring in another 2nd line center, unless they are sending one back,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Guest4271 Posted - 02/26/2013 : 22:45:33
Does anyone think this is the build up to Montreal trying to package something together now to get Reilly out of Colorado??

That would put a better twist to this for me.
Guest4377 Posted - 02/26/2013 : 19:24:22
Can't believe Cole makes $4.5 million a season, and he has two more years at this salary.

On Dallas, Erikksen makes $4.25 million a season, but you could make a lot of comparisons on the Stars (or around the league) with players who deliver a lot more (or who are worth more) for less money than what Cole makes.

Can't blame Cole for taking the money though. Kudos to his agent.

I think Montreal wins the trade. Dumping Cole (and his salary), and getting Ryder in return is a smooth move for Bergevin.
Leafs81 Posted - 02/26/2013 : 16:26:22
I know what you mean. I agree and a lot of teams seems to be going toward that trend to get rid of the bad contracts. But I don't think Cole was a bad contract, He was really dominant last year, a complete power forward who had great chemistry with Pacioretty and Desharnais.

I believe that if Montreal gets into the playoffs they will always be a contender, two reasons... Price and team defensive structure. If you have a well balance offense to top it off then you got what you need.

Ryder might bring that extra edge on the power play and to snipe some important goals. I just thougt Cole was a big piece in the Habs success. Cole is also a big time game player.
Pasty7 Posted - 02/26/2013 : 16:14:09
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Erik Cole is a better all around player then Ryder. I think Dallas needed size, grit and a good power forward, they got exactly that.

Montreal needed a sniper ever since they lost Cammalleri, they got exactly that.

But really I was surprised that Montreal traded away Cole, They are first right now and even though Cole wasn't producing like last year, if the first line would have woke up in time for the playoffs the Habs would have been a serious threat. Why make a trade for next year if you're fighting for the first spot????

This reminds me of a certain trade they did to trade away Huet for a second rounder when they were first in the east and they went on and lost in the first round of the playoffs with an unexperience goalie. I know Huet didn't do much after, but that year he was really good.

All that to say that, if I would be first, I wouldn't trade any of my core players.

This is good and i will tell you why, Are the habs really a first place team? is this team really built to win long term?

this is something habs mangement hasn`t done in year and this is why the habs have been a mediocre team for more than a decade, scrapeing by with spare parts and makeing the playoffs and never really contending. Management has not been able to address this team needs to get better for long term

Now Bergevin has realized this and he wants to build a longterm contender, but he has inherited bad contracts in Kaberle Bourque Gionta Cole and Gomez. Hes has Young Talents in Galchenyuk Gallagher and Eller who cant crack the top six and develop furthur because of older players that have to play in the top six,

Now the habs dump Cole`s contract wich has him signed another 3 years for a guy whos has been just as good as Cole over the past few seasons and his contract is up at the end of this season,

I`m willing to bet the habs are also looking to move Gionta`s contract and maybe even Bourque`s, and obviously Kabb but noone would take him.

[pause] Hello? Hello?
nuxfan Posted - 02/26/2013 : 16:10:09
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Montreal has traded Eric Cole for Mike Ryder,

what a great trade for Montreal Ryder had equal production last year to Cole. Ryder is a little bit younger and most importantly Bergevin got a contract off the books for a guy who is a FA at the end of this season, what was Dallas thinking?

[pause] Hello? Hello?

So DAL gets a true power forward in Cole at a reasonable price who is locked up for 2 more years, and MTL gets a producer for this season but some cap flexibility this summer to lock up other pieces. Mutually beneficial deal IMO.

I expect to see more of these types of deals into the summer.
Leafs81 Posted - 02/26/2013 : 15:57:29
Erik Cole is a better all around player then Ryder. I think Dallas needed size, grit and a good power forward, they got exactly that.

Montreal needed a sniper ever since they lost Cammalleri, they got exactly that.

But really I was surprised that Montreal traded away Cole, They are first right now and even though Cole wasn't producing like last year, if the first line would have woke up in time for the playoffs the Habs would have been a serious threat. Why make a trade for next year if you're fighting for the first spot????

This reminds me of a certain trade they did to trade away Huet for a second rounder when they were first in the east and they went on and lost in the first round of the playoffs with an unexperience goalie. I know Huet didn't do much after, but that year he was really good.

All that to say that, if I would be first, I wouldn't trade any of my core players.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page