Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Ryan O'Reilly signs offer sheet

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 02/28/2013 : 16:22:56
The Calgary Flames have signed Ryan O'Reilly to a $10 million dollar / 2 year offer sheet. Question is, will the Av's match?

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2013 : 20:54:35
Interesting.....thanks for that 4377. Seems they were as out to lunch as the Flames?
Guest4377 Posted - 03/08/2013 : 20:33:17
According to Jay Feaster, O'Reilly's agent did not see this exposure. (That the Flames could have lost O'Reilly through re-entry waivers.)

Here's Feaster's quote as excerpted from his press release: "Throughout our discussions, the player’s representative shared our interpretation and position with respect to the non-applicability of Article 13.23."

Now it's possible that Feaster was misrepresenting matters, or that O'Reilly's agent was "playing dumb," but I think that both parties really thought there was a deal in place (unless the Avs matched) for O'Reilly to play in Calgary.
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2013 : 16:11:37
Something that wasn't mentioned back when this wacky O'Reilly signing went through was if in fact Calgary ended up having to put him on waivers, did he or his agent have any clue of this? Was he so money hungry that he'd have been ok with playing in Columbus, because that's where he'd have ended up as i believe they'd have had the first shot at him.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/02/2013 : 12:42:47
So I have been thinking about this contract for the last couple of days and have come to the conclusion it is a bad signing all the way around. As of this signing Colorado is not a playoff team. They may be a bubble team come the end of the regular season but will not have the legs for a serious playoff drive. O'Reilly's contract is a signing bonus of $2.5 + a salary of $1 million for the remainder of the season. As of today there is only 29 games remaining. Thats an incredible amount to pay a player who sat out the last 20 games. Add insult to injury he will make $6.5 million next year. I was using yearly averaging in my prior posts to justify this signing but the fact is this Kid just scored big time. If the Av's dont make the playoffs because of his addition to the line up I would say they should have let him go and collected the draft picks. What was Feaster thinking offering this kid that much and putting a clause in for $6.5 in any future qualifying offer, but worse yet that the Av's matched this bad offer. This is just a bad signing unless he turns out to be a phenom. Forget the fact that potentially he could have ended up on waivers and some other team might have matched and the Flames would have lost the draft picks for a bad offer to begin with.
Alex116 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 17:24:21
So, it looks like it's confirmed that the Flames actually would have lost him, or at least would have had to put him through waivers, where it's likely any team picking ahead of them would have grabbed him!

Calgary is agruing it saying that's not how they interpret it, but if nothing else, it would have ended up in a huge battle in court i guess? Lucky for Feaster and the Flames, it never came to this thanks to the Avs!
Pasty7 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 14:13:50
6.5 million is just nuts heres to another lockout in 8 years

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 10:01:12
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

This is actually insane... Feaster completely overlooked one aspect of this offer sheet and could have really hurt the flames in the process.

@reporterchris: Sportsnet Exclusive: #flames were in danger of losing picks AND O’Reilly if #avs didn’t match offer sheet…

http://t.co/pFroRQpuTp

Can you imagine losing the 1st & 3rd to the Avs and O'Reilly potentially ending up staying with them anyway. Or Columbus getting him for nothing more than his salary..

66 is > than 99

That would be absolutely crazy but i don't think it's a fact. I read that Elliot Friedman has reported that under the new CBA, the rules are different and that RFA's wouldn't have to clear waivers? I'm not up on all the new CBA stuff but i'm sure there'll be confirmation on this soon. No way Feaster sits back and takes all the negative criticism if it's not in fact the truth!
@valanche Posted - 03/01/2013 : 09:01:28
This is actually insane... Feaster completely overlooked one aspect of this offer sheet and could have really hurt the flames in the process.

@reporterchris: Sportsnet Exclusive: #flames were in danger of losing picks AND O’Reilly if #avs didn’t match offer sheet…

http://t.co/pFroRQpuTp

Can you imagine losing the 1st & 3rd to the Avs and O'Reilly potentially ending up staying with them anyway. Or Columbus getting him for nothing more than his salary..

66 is > than 99
Guest2336 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 07:48:11
Colorado messed up big time. O'reilly was asking for approx 4.5M over a two year contract which would be his qualifying offer once it expired. Now the Avalanche will have to pay him minimum 6.5 million when that time comes.

swallow your pride Greg Sherman you f*cked the dog on this one.
Alex116 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 07:38:42
Love how guys are still voting on the poll. LOL. Went from 5-0 before they matched in favour of "NO" to 6-4 now. Not sure what's worse, voting YES now that it's already happened, or the 1 "No" vote that's been recieved since!

I'm totally shocked that they matched and can't figure out this whole 6.5 in year 2 bit. He's gonna have to become pretty freakin' good to be worth 6.5 annually on his next deal! And, if that was a move by Feaster and the Flames to try to make it more difficult for the Avs to match, well, they'd have had to offer the same numbers too to keep him? With the new cap, and i'm not sure if and how much it moves or will move up over the next 2-3 years, 6.5 is not the money any team should throw at a guy who may still be a 2nd line center?

I just don't get it. The draft picks may have been the way to go in this case! That #1 may have turned out to be very valuable moving forward!
Guest2336 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 07:33:09
think of the money the flames will be throwing at corey perry and ryan getzlaf this summer!!
Guest2336 Posted - 03/01/2013 : 06:35:28
They aren't trading him anywhere. Calgary had faith to throw first line center money at the kid. The avs are set now with three centers that can all play top two lines.

Let Stastny pad his stats until trade deadline then ship him out for defense or a scoring winger.

BTW i understand this is completely within the scope of the CBA but complete a$$ move by Feaster making the second year worth 6.5 million (therefore his next qualifying offer starts there).

depending how the flames end up doing this year the draft picks may have been the way to go on this one.
n/a Posted - 03/01/2013 : 05:49:04
quote:
Originally posted by markliso

quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

I'm surprised as well... although, this deal might more along the lines of what COL was willing to offer, with bigger money but shorter term. If they're not happy after 2 years, they can decide what to do then.

Or, they're hoping that now under contract, they can trade him for better value than a first and third rounder, at their leisure.

Funny thing is though, they won't be able to trade for one full year, which means by this time next year, trade deadline will have already passed. To re-sign him after next season, they will have to go with 6.5 million for the qualifying offer. Should be interesting.

That is a fantastic point, and a good catch! I do believe you might be correct, but I'll have to check on that . . . yeah, that certainly makes it a much bigger deal to match Calgary's offer. And it makes it all the more surprising!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
markliso Posted - 03/01/2013 : 01:14:46
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

I'm surprised as well... although, this deal might more along the lines of what COL was willing to offer, with bigger money but shorter term. If they're not happy after 2 years, they can decide what to do then.

Or, they're hoping that now under contract, they can trade him for better value than a first and third rounder, at their leisure.

Funny thing is though, they won't be able to trade for one full year, which means by this time next year, trade deadline will have already passed. To re-sign him after next season, they will have to go with 6.5 million for the qualifying offer. Should be interesting.
nuxfan Posted - 02/28/2013 : 22:25:09

@valanche Posted - 02/28/2013 : 18:26:42
I'm somewhat surprised they matched... There's an etiquette in business that if you're willing to give in it looks much better to do it right off the bat rather than have things drag on and make both sides look awful. Oreilly remains with the avs lets play some hockey finally!

66 is > than 99
@valanche Posted - 02/28/2013 : 18:24:23
@Avalanche: BREAKING: @Avalanche announced tonight that the team has matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet for forward Ryan O’Reilly. More to follow..

66 is > than 99
Alex116 Posted - 02/28/2013 : 16:42:32
Pretty much every team matches, or so they say? I have a sneaky feeling that Colorado will not in this case. Matching would be giving in more or less as this is the type of money O'Reilly was looking for that they said they wouldn't pay. Also, if they match, they're stuck with him for a full calendar year before they can move him. Another thing, the average of the deal is 5mil per, but the second year sees him not only owed 6.5 (makes him difficult to move after 1 year), but the article i read (link below) says that also means the team with his rights when this deal expires would have to offer him a new deal at 6.5 annually or more to keep him. Crazy numbers, unless this kid becomes something that not many are predicting!

If they don't match, the Avs would get Calgary's 1st and 3rd in this summer's draft. That 1st, could very well be top 10 and maybe even top 5 depending on what they decide to do with Iggy and Kipper as the deadline approaches (will they finally deal them?). There is a real good chance it's a lottery pick and maybe even a shot at #1 overall in a draft with the likes of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Monahan, etc! Pretty nice pieces in there!

If i'm Colorado, i let him walk for the picks! Then again, i think he's a little over rated and may pan out to be just a good two way 2nd line center at best?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/02/28/sp-nhl-calgary-flames-colorado-avalanche-ryan-oreilly.html

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page