Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 no embellishment here

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
umteman Posted - 03/12/2013 : 22:42:40
ouch! this was a deliberate hit to the head, and after the puck was already gone ;

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/corey-perry-ejected-head-shot-jason-zucker-guess-013325728--nhl.html

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 03/13/2013 : 22:24:42
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Hey guys - I realise what every sportscaster was saying, and honestly, I feel like half the time it's just cue card reading and repeating opinions, but . . . when one actually times the hit in real time, it's UNDER A SECOND (well under) from time he releases the puck to contact.

Going through past history, under a second has been totally allowable and not late. That is a fact, please go through any of our past threads on these suspensions and hitting.

I have no idea why the barometer suddenly changed or why.

I think you're all on crack!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=660020

Rob Blake is quite clear about the reason for the suspension, both that it was a late hit (nearly 1 second after Zucker released the puck), and it was a very significant hit to the head. I suspect the suspension is more about the headshot than it is about being late.
Alex116 Posted - 03/13/2013 : 21:40:48
quote:

Hey guys - I realise what every sportscaster was saying, and honestly, I feel like half the time it's just cue card reading and repeating opinions, but . . . when one actually times the hit in real time, it's UNDER A SECOND (well under) from time he releases the puck to contact.

Going through past history, under a second has been totally allowable and not late. That is a fact, please go through any of our past threads on these suspensions and hitting.

I shouldn't be surprised that you don't find this hit late as i seem to recall (correct me if i'm wrong) you being one of the only posters back in 2011 who argued that the Rome hit on Horton was clean and if anything, maybe a tiny bit late. Pretty sure it was you. IMO, these two hits, time wise, are very close to identical. I don't wanna rehash that whole debate from '11 but do recall arguing that it was approx 1 second between Horton dishing off the puck and Rome hitting him. Very similar timing here no? In fact, i'd say this one was a touch later. Same suspension, 4 games, hbwever 4 games in the SCF has gotta be worth more than 4 reg season games, especially for a repeat offender, even in a shortened season!!! Still think Rome got burned. FTR, i don't think that having Rome would have won the Canucks the cup.
Guest4587 Posted - 03/13/2013 : 21:03:22
IMO, it was a dirty hit and I agree with Nuxfan, he can be a dirty player at times. He deserves the four games. Perry is a great hockey player, but he doesn't have to do this kind of stuff. I never liked him taunting Pavel Datsyuk, one of the classiest players in the NHL, a few years ago in the playoffs. Finally, Datsyuk had enough and fought him. but Perry was just being an idiot as far as I'm concerned.
n/a Posted - 03/13/2013 : 17:12:48

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/13/2013 : 16:56:29
I'm not sure how that hit can't be seen as anything but illegal. I must be on crack as well.

More importantly than the timing of the it, which as we have heard is arguable, is that the video shows the positioning of the players when the play developed. IMO, it clearly shows Zucker moving the puck, well before the ref gets in the frame, which also has Perry, not even at the left face-off dot. That speaks volumes more to me than counting seconds.

Perry had to continue through the face-off dot to 'finish' his check, plenty of time to recognize that the player was out of the play, and the only reason to continue, was to do the ever vaunted, 'finish the check'.

At the 1:15/1:16 mark of the clip hit pause, and look at how much room there is between the players, this being after the puck had been moved.

Another 'lack of respect for a player's vulnerability', type of hit, only good for highlights and hospitals. He deserves all 4 of those games if not more, again, in my opinion only.

Maybe I'm getting old, but this seems so far removed from the hockey I grew up watching, there just seems to such a lack of concern for safety the way the game is played now. Maybe it's time to watch more golf and less hockey?

Alex116 Posted - 03/13/2013 : 14:06:02
Wow....a little more than i thought (i thought 2 and would have figured 3 might have been ok as well) but can't complain about it i guess, though some will bring up inconsistencies in suspensions yet again.

Sucks for my pursuit of 1st place! Right as Perry had begun to get "HOT".....

ETA.....BTW, i'm willing to bet that Shanahan used the word "LATE" in his explanation.
umteman Posted - 03/13/2013 : 13:54:49
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

4 games for Perry.

Given the hit, and his past suspension for the hit on Giroux, it seems reasonable.

And should be enough to cause others to take note.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
nuxfan Posted - 03/13/2013 : 13:39:26
4 games for Perry.

Given the hit, and his past suspension for the hit on Giroux, it seems reasonable.
Alex116 Posted - 03/13/2013 : 11:19:53
quote:
.....it's just after he gets rid of the puck. Not that late at all, in fact, I'd say it's within the "allowable" window - it's within a second, at any rate (I timed it at about 0.7 seconds after he released the puck).

I had to go back and make sure i read this right? Slozo, read some opinions, and i don't just mean ours on this site, watch some replays whilst listening to sportscasters, etc and you'll see you are def in the minority on your opinion that it wasn't "late".
Alex116 Posted - 03/13/2013 : 11:15:15
Mmmmmm, thanks for sharing your crack Umteman! This sheet be good mon!

Definitely LATE! There are hits where a guy is fully committed and the hittee turns to make it a check from behind and then there are hits that could have been avoided with a bailout at the last second. IMO, this is the latter. I truly believe Perry could have bailed out and if not totally avoided the hit, then he could have lessened it to no more than a bump. 100% late.

My guess: 2 games
My hope: 0 games (i'm in 3rd in my pool, just 8pts outta 1st and guess who's on my roster?)
nuxfan Posted - 03/13/2013 : 09:07:05
This is quite clearly a headshot, and IMO Perry is targeting the head, or at least targeting high. Intended shoulder or not, when he makes contact his elbow is out and up. Suspension for sure, I'm going to guess 2-3 games.

I'm not sure if he's been suspended before, but those out west see him more often than those out east, he can be an extremely dirty player when he wants to be. He doesn't always play with that edge, but if you get under his skin (as the Canucks like to try and do because he takes so many penalties when he gets riled up), he can turn into a pretty ugly player. Questionable hits are not out of the norm for him, and he's absolutely lost it on a couple of occasions while playing VAN.

EDIT - I see he has been suspended, in 2009 for an elbow to the head of Claude Giroux.
umteman Posted - 03/13/2013 : 07:12:06
well ok, maybe the Giroux incident from a few years ago clouded my view of this (the hit wasn't as late as I initially percieved it), but it still looks as though Perry raised his body upward before impact as though he was going for the head.

n/a Posted - 03/13/2013 : 06:39:53
umteman, you must be on crack . . . seriously, look at the video again - it's just after he gets rid of the puck. Not that late at all, in fact, I'd say it's within the "allowable" window - it's within a second, at any rate (I timed it at about 0.7 seconds after he released the puck).

Additionally, from what I can see . . . it's an attenpted shoulder to shoulder check, that obviously caught his head/neck good enough to knock him out.

Was it a "hockey play"? A bit borderline since he is passing the puck, but remember, he is in Perry's zone on the forecheck, making a pass to another player . . . coming in for a check, you are trying to 1)rush the passer, and 2) take him out of the play so he can't get the pass back. A hockey play, in my mind.

IMHO, it's an attempted legal check that missed the mark a bit.

If you count that Perry has a history, and want to give him a punishment for being slightly careless (honestly, missing a legal check like that could happen to anyone easily) then maybe give him a game . . . but I would give him nothing, myself.

umteman Posted - 03/13/2013 : 06:25:27
certainly looked like a head hit to me, but the indisputable fact is the hit came long after the puck was gone.

sahis34 Posted - 03/12/2013 : 23:12:47
Nope hit the neck!!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page