Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 The Hurricane have signed forward Alexander Semin

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4622 Posted - 03/25/2013 : 16:32:47
The Carolina Hurricanes have signed forward Alexander Semin to a five-year, $35 million contract extension.

This is JUST Gross really Semin is a freaking Bum .. Never would i ever sign that guy to that kinda Money..
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 03/27/2013 : 16:52:54
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2104

quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4209

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9256
The thing is these are what contracts are going to be like going forward with star players. Right now we look at these as overpayments, but in 1-2 years time with more players becoming UFAs these will be the norm.

yeah because their agents will use this as a baseline. So every player will get a salary increase. The very reason that the owners locked the players out. Hence can't wait for the next lockout.

Until the cap gets in the way - what happens when teams no longer have the cap space to pay big salaries? Players will eventually be forced to take what they can get.

Not if the KHL continues to pay players even more money. If the NHL doesn't have the money to pay the players what they think they deserve they will go somewhere that will.

Then they will go - the cap will still be in place no matter how many NHL players decide to play in Russia, and there will still be players willing to play in NA for a measly few million a year.
Alex116 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 10:34:26
I am so tired of the "KHL" argument. I've said it before, and i'll say it again....ANYONE wanting to go make more over there, have at it! The way that nuxfan has this working out, the fringe players are the ones who will be jumping ship, if even they decide to. If they do, they can be replaced.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 03/27/2013 : 10:14:03
I dont have much of a problem with the cap hit, just the term length of the contract. Semin is not the most reliable player from year to year and Carolina just took away his incentive to produce more during a contract season by signing him long term to 5 years. I know he has played well and 5 years is less than the 8 year max, but if I was a GM I would have preferred a 3-4 year term to keep the incentive on him to not slack off even if the cap hit was slightly higher. Some players play better when they have to prove there worth from year to year, and IMO Semin is a poster child player for this.
Guest2332 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 09:56:47
every team needs a lazy russian for all the canadians and americans to bitch about.

Guest2104 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 02:18:54
quote:

quote:

quote:
The thing is these are what contracts are going to be like going forward with star players. Right now we look at these as overpayments, but in 1-2 years time with more players becoming UFAs these will be the norm.

yeah because their agents will use this as a baseline. So every player will get a salary increase. The very reason that the owners locked the players out. Hence can't wait for the next lockout.

Until the cap gets in the way - what happens when teams no longer have the cap space to pay big salaries? Players will eventually be forced to take what they can get.

Not if the KHL continues to pay players even more money. If the NHL doesn't have the money to pay the players what they think they deserve they will go somewhere that will.
nuxfan Posted - 03/26/2013 : 22:15:15
quote:

quote:

Guest4209 Posted - 03/26/2013 : 18:07:44
quote:

Guest9256 Posted - 03/26/2013 : 13:42:05
quote:

quote:

the money is fine - he's producing at a PPG pace with his new team, and they've gotten a very good look at what he brings.

Its the term I worry about the most with this guy - will he produce at a PPG clip in years 2/3/4 of this deal? Something tells me no.

Like Getzlaf and Perry. Overpaid again. Oh well. Can't wait for the next lockout.

nuxfan Posted - 03/25/2013 : 22:49:32
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4608
The same twins that do not produce at all in the playoffs?

I was not aware that 135 points in 192 games combined counted as "not producing". Thank you for clarifying...

quote:
Is Semin a consistent PPG guy? Is Perry and Getz? Guess you definition of consistent is not consistent with mine. I would say that Perry and Getz are more consistent than Semin.

Considering the length Semin would be $5.5M/yr. Perry and Getz at 7.5M/yr at 8 yr.

You want comparables on consistent PPG I give you the Vancouver Canucks' Sedin Twins.

Career stats:

Semin: 438pts in 499 games, 0.87 PPG
Getzlaf: 508 pts in 543 games, 0.93 PPG
Perry: 454 pts in 557 games, 0.81 PPG

So it looks like Semin is right in the middle of the two of them. All 3 are slightly under PPG over their careers. Getzlaf and Semin are at least PPG this year so far, Perry is not. Further, despite being nearly PPG over their careers, all 3 of them have been fairly inconsistent and have had ups and downs - either injuries, or off years. Fair enough, none of them are true career PPG players, although all are close enough for me to not worry about splitting hairs.

The Sedin's... How can you compare a contract signed 5 years ago where both players quite openly took less than market to stay together in Vancouver, to contracts being signed today?

For me, the following comparables would apply to all 3 of them - all signed in the last 2 years:

- Tavares - 5.5M cap hit - coming off his EL deal, this is appropriately low, but he's a solid young centre.

- Travis Zajac - 5.75M cap hit - clearly a level or two below all 3 of them.

- Nik Backstrom - 6.7M cap hit - up there in Getzlaf/Perry/Semin land, one might argue better than all 3, but he also got a 10 year deal, so possibly took less for length of time.

- Brad Richards - 6.66M cap hit - cap hit is lower, but he has a front-heavy deal which teams can no longer give out, so its hard to compare. If you knock off the 3 "gravy years" at the end of 1M per season, his deal works out to 6yr/57M, or 9.5M per year. Arguably better than all 3.

- Steven Stamkos - 7.5M cap hit - again a slight back-end drop, he's making 8M for the first 4 years of that deal. Better than all 3, and I think his next contract will reflect that reality. Good signing at the time for TB.

- Jonathan Toews - 6.3M cap hit - as good as the 3 in question, however its likely he's taking a bit of a hometown discount as well Sedin-style, in order to help CHI keep that team together. I think on the open market he's worth 7-7.5 per year.

I believe that these would be the comparables that agents would be trotting out for these 3 players, and in that light, the deals are not that far out of whack.

FWIW, I agree with you for Getzlaf and Perry, I was surprised by the amounts they were given. Semin, time will tell. If he produces at his current pace - or even better, to his actual skill potential - that 7M will seem reasonable over the long run. I just would not have signed him to a 5 year deal.

Guest4209 Posted - 03/25/2013 : 19:27:13
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4608

What are you basing this on? Fact or what you think is fact?
Guest4608 Posted - 03/25/2013 : 19:20:22
quote:
[i]You want comparables on consistent PPG I give you the Vancouver Canucks' Sedin Twins.

Guest4209 Posted - 03/25/2013 : 18:30:46
quote:
I don't worry about Getzlaf/Perry production like I do Semin.

Guest - in your opinion, what is a consistent PPG player worth in the NHL?

Is Semin a consistent PPG guy? Is Perry and Getz? Guess you definition of consistent is not consistent with mine. I would say that Perry and Getz are more consistent than Semin.

Considering the length Semin would be $5.5M/yr. Perry and Getz at 7.5M/yr at 8 yr.

You want comparables on consistent PPG I give you the Vancouver Canucks' Sedin Twins.
nuxfan Posted - 03/25/2013 : 18:16:03
quote:

quote:

the money is fine - he's producing at a PPG pace with his new team, and they've gotten a very good look at what he brings.

Its the term I worry about the most with this guy - will he produce at a PPG clip in years 2/3/4 of this deal? Something tells me no.

Like Getzlaf and Perry. Overpaid again. Oh well. Can't wait for the next lockout.

I don't worry about Getzlaf/Perry production like I do Semin.

Guest - in your opinion, what is a consistent PPG player worth in the NHL?
Guest4209 Posted - 03/25/2013 : 17:58:14
quote:

nuxfan Posted - 03/25/2013 : 17:41:40

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page