Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Iginla a Bruin NO! A Penguin!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest2718 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 18:24:17
Its been been reported in the Boston globe tonight that Iginla has been traded to Boston for Matt Bartkowski, Alex Khokhlachev and a first round draft pick.

[moderator edit - after this premature report, it was made official: Jerome Iginla was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for college prospects Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski and a first-round pick in this summer's draft]
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 07/06/2013 : 00:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

How will the pens not win the cup, seriously stacked...

By not winning the 16 games that are most important, just like they didn't last year when they were favored! I'm not saying they aren't the favorite, nor that i'd pick/bet against them, but they have to perform when it's most important. Last year they were done in by shoddy goaltending and D. This year, how quick will they be to move to Vokoun if Fleury struggles early? Vokoun is an upgrade at backup and could be a starter on many teams for sure so he's there to help. Will Letang be healthy? Sure, he's only out for a week or two, but he's had injury trouble all year. Do they have enough defensively to stop other offenses? If they come up against the Bruins, they will not be a pushover by any means. Chara and Bergeron can limit pretty much any forward(s) when they're at the top of their game. Look at what that Bruins team did to the #1 PP in the league (Vancouver) in the finals in 2011. How about a round 1 matchup vs NYR where Lundqvist is capable of stealing multiple games on his own??? What about surviving the east and facing Chicago, Anaheim, St.Loius, etc in the final, teams they won't have much experience against over the past few years?

I guess what i'm saying is, sure, they're the favorites, but don't go thinking it's a forgone conclussion and begin the engraving on the cup just yet!!!!

Sometimes when you're good, you're just simply GOOD!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 07/05/2013 : 17:18:46
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=676945&navid=nhl:topheads

A Bruin again, for the 1st time. This is the strangest signing I have seen today. Ok, perenial scorer in the twilight of his career with an up down game, but it has been well documented that his speed is lacking, his hands are losing there stick handling skills, he has a hard time wheeling around the board or turning his head and he doesn't have the grind he had a few years ago in Calgary. $6 million and for the team he turned down to play for Pittsburg for. I am flaburgasted. But again this guy can score and they have the depth to cover his shortcomings, so in the end Boston becomes stronger again

At the end of the day Boston once again picks up one of the most sought after players on the market. How do they continually do it.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
mandree888 Posted - 07/05/2013 : 16:46:02
yeah that would be awkward now wouldn't it. could you imagine if he changed his mind one more time
Guest9295 Posted - 07/05/2013 : 16:44:29
2718 You were right, just a few months late.
Alex116 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 15:27:10
4178......This was discussed on the radio here today, though i only caught part of it. Bottom line is, someone jumped the gun reporting that it was a done deal, otherwise there'd be serious implications as to what Calgary had done.

As far as Iggy goes, i hear he provided a list of 6 or so teams but said all along that he'd prefer Pittsburgh, so once they were on board, he may have changed his tune a bit even though it might have meant Calgary ended up with not quite as good of a return? Is Feaster an idiot or do you pat him on the back and say, "well done, Iggy deserved this from you considering all he gave to Calgary these past 15 years"?
Guest4178 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 14:02:30
I agree Alex. While the Penguins look very good (especially after adding Iginla), upsets happen all the time. Take a look back at the last 10 years, and you will see many examples. Just take a look at last season, and how many people predicted the 8th place Kings to win the cup at this point in the season?

As for the trade, does anyone find it odd that an announcement was made on nhl.com that Iginla was traded to the Bruins (which included what Boston was giving Calgary), and then to see he was actually traded to Pittsburgh. I saw the announcement last night, and while it's since been removed, it was not announced as a speculated trade. It was announced as done.

I think the Bruins thought the deal was done too. According to Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, the Bruins were told that they "won the Jarome Iginla sweepstakes" as he put it, and they were given this news at noon on Wednesday.

The Bruins then went on to make some roster moves, and later in the day, it was announced that Iginla would be a healthy scratch in their game last night, which led to the speculation that Iginla was being traded.

After the game (and before going to bed), I checked out the nhl.com website, and it announced the news that Iginla was traded to the Bruins.

And when I woke up this morning, I read that Iginla was now traded to the Penguins.

I suppose these things can happen, but if you believe Chiarelli, why would Calgary GM Jay Feaster orchestrate a deal with the Bruins, before checking with Iginla to see if he would waive his NMC to play in Boston?

Why waste Boston's time?

Alex116 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 10:06:49
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

By not winning the 16 games that are most important, just like they didn't last year when they were favored! I'm not saying they aren't the favorite, nor that i'd pick/bet against them, but they have to perform when it's most important. Last year they were done in by shoddy goaltending and D. This year, how quick will they be to move to Vokoun if Fleury struggles early? Vokoun is an upgrade at backup and could be a starter on many teams for sure so he's there to help. Will Letang be healthy? Sure, he's only out for a week or two, but he's had injury trouble all year. Do they have enough defensively to stop other offenses? If they come up against the Bruins, they will not be a pushover by any means. Chara and Bergeron can limit pretty much any forward(s) when they're at the top of their game. Look at what that Bruins team did to the #1 PP in the league (Vancouver) in the finals in 2011. How about a round 1 matchup vs NYR where Lundqvist is capable of stealing multiple games on his own??? What about surviving the east and facing Chicago, Anaheim, St.Loius, etc in the final, teams they won't have much experience against over the past few years?

I guess what i'm saying is, sure, they're the favorites, but don't go thinking it's a forgone conclussion and begin the engraving on the cup just yet!!!!
Guest2104 Posted - 03/28/2013 : 09:13:52
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

Calgary management/ownership during Iginla's time with the Flames really blew it here. they had one of the top leaders in the game for the last 15ish years, and what did they ever do for him? who did they ever get to play with him?
there are many that think the Leafs blew it with Sundin, by never getting him any top line wingers. but that doesn't even come close to Iginla in Calgary IMHO. at least Mats had Mogilny, Roberts, even Nolan for a short period. who did Iginla ever have?

Yeah no doubt, this guy basically did everything himself throughout his career, the best Centre I remember them ever getting to play with him was Conroy...
nuxfan Posted - 03/28/2013 : 08:21:10
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

In my opinion, I think Calgary might have leaned towards a better 1st round pick from Boston, but I bet you anything that Iggy made the last choice. A slight familiarity with Crosby, and the chance to play with two oof the best in the game in Malkin and Crosby must have been the deciding factor. I'd almost say that in the back of Iggy's mind, playing for a more offensive team vs a more defensive trap team could have been another factor in the decision.

I think this is the case - according to news today, Iginla refused to waive his NMC to Boston, which pretty much killed that deal.
The_Gipper Posted - 03/28/2013 : 08:15:31
Calgary management/ownership during Iginla's time with the Flames really blew it here. they had one of the top leaders in the game for the last 15ish years, and what did they ever do for him? who did they ever get to play with him?
there are many that think the Leafs blew it with Sundin, by never getting him any top line wingers. but that doesn't even come close to Iginla in Calgary IMHO. at least Mats had Mogilny, Roberts, even Nolan for a short period. who did Iginla ever have?
n/a Posted - 03/28/2013 : 05:35:40
Guest 2718 - I hope you don't mind, I had to change the title a bit to fit with what actually happened and I added what the actual deal was.

In the end, it's nice that you posted what the reported deal from Boston was, so that we can compare the two, and who knows, down the road we can see if there would have been a big difference for Calgary in regards to how these prospects and picks turn out.

In my opinion, I think Calgary might have leaned towards a better 1st round pick from Boston, but I bet you anything that Iggy made the last choice. A slight familiarity with Crosby, and the chance to play with two oof the best in the game in Malkin and Crosby must have been the deciding factor. I'd almost say that in the back of Iggy's mind, playing for a more offensive team vs a more defensive trap team could have been another factor in the decision.

We'll see . . . I look at it as a steal for the Pens in terms of the deal. But, I don't think it puts the Pens up that much in terms of favourite, FOR ME (I realise I might be alone in this). Frankly, in the playoffs, it's all about defence and goaltending, and I still see a strong possibility of a series not unlike Pens/Flyers where they are simply outscored and can't stop the other team's offence.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
markliso Posted - 03/28/2013 : 03:49:00
I only like the Bruins for beating the Canucks, otherwise, meh. I'm happier also to see him on the Pens, he will fit in better and that is going to be a scary team to go up against. Even without the last three trades they were fairly unstoppable this year! Now it looks like they are ready to go win another cup!

I hope Iggy gets his ring and I personally (even as an oilers fan) would love for him to come back for the rebuild and teach the kids a few things or two. He's a worldclass player and deserves a cup!
leigh Posted - 03/28/2013 : 00:18:55
I like this much better for personal reasons. Just couldn't cheer for the Bruins but can see myself cheering for the Pens. That is one helluva team! I'll be cheering for them this playoffs (since the Flames are more than likely golfing)

I now hope the Flames dismantle everything and go for the 5 year rebuild.
sahis34 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 23:09:20
Guest4672 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 22:56:14
Iggy to the pens wow is that team Stacked to the Tit's or what... 3 strong lines... Malkin-crosby-iggy Neal/dupis on dfence for a ppline sick
Guest4315 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 22:43:04
They could of resigned him now for 2-3 more yrs. and then traded him. He would have got more value then. Unless his plan is to just go to Boston for this year, win the cup and then resign with Calgary next year. Lol
Pasty7 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 22:39:19
little pre mature on this boys Iggy is a Pen!!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
leigh Posted - 03/27/2013 : 22:03:07
To be clear, it's a CONDITIONAL draft pick. Apparently the pick is dependant upon the Bruins being able to sign him next year.

Reality is that the Flames are up against a wall, he only has a couple months left on his contract before becoming and unrestricted free agent, and they only have a week left to get a deal done. So it can't be expected that they'd get top dollar for him.

I sure as hell hope the Bruins can re-sign him this summer!!!
sahis34 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 21:31:06
I've heard of Khoklachev was world juniors, barkowski's nothing special. They really didn't get that much
Guest4315 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 21:06:24
How have the Flames not fired Feaster already?... I mean ~"Feaster is the best GM in the NHL"~,...
Pasty7 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 21:05:44
still nothing confirmed only rumour, Craig Button refferd to Bartowski as nothing more then a 5th d men at best, and Khokchlachev as a B level prospect. He seemed to think this was a steal for the bruins.

again this was his opinion not mine i do not know more than what i hear about these players

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 20:43:38
I know little about either. Any Bruins faithful give us some info on these guys??? The first rounder will be late assuming it's this year's #1?
Guest4672 Posted - 03/27/2013 : 18:41:27
no way that is crap deal .. both players are in the AHL for a reason .. Should get better then that ..
The Duke Posted - 03/27/2013 : 18:32:00
good deal for Calgary i`d say

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page