Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 The 2012 Pick is?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cyclonis Posted - 04/02/2012 : 13:57:39
Speculation!

Although we have managed to win our way past Montreal as we have the tie-breaker and now sit 3rd as of last night. We should have a really high pick even with the lottery.

What thoughts on this years crop and what is best for the Oil moving forward?

Who should we pick for 2012!?

This young Russian center in Quebec "Mikhail Grigorenko (C)"? 6'3" and 200lbs at his age with real skills! OR a young D like Ryan Murray or Jacob Trouba?

Defensemen take time to develop and since we want to hit the playoffs in one or two years from now I am leaning towards Mikhail.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 04/16/2013 : 11:14:36
quote:
Originally posted by Cyclonis

Consensus: They did not build properly!? Taking the BEST player, the seemingly most talented, is a good idea most times in the draft BUT when you have holes to fill you need to address them. I don't know how many times i saw Bob McKenzie on TSN suggest a defenseman but it sticks with you...

Don't be suprised to see Nail or Nuge on the block next year. At the beginning of this thread I posted they should have taken Grigorenko as he was BIG and a CENTER! I wanted to put him between Hall and Eb's (yes i am a dreamer)! Now I have to say I was wrong! Although in my defense Whitney was supposed to be answer.

Anyway! Trouba or Murray should have been the guy. I like Trouba for the attitude and toughness. But they need to START rebuilding the defense and Murray was the best all around D available in my opinion.

How were you wrong? Is this your opinion because Grigorenko didn't light up the NHL at a young age? Is it fair to say that Murray would have helped the Oilers any more?

I do agree Murray, long term, might have been better than Grigorenko for the Oilers needs at the time, but don't count out Grigs just yet. He could very well turn out to be a real gem.

The main thing, and i think Beans touched on it in his post from last year, is that the Oilers could have made a deal with this pick. I don't necessarily think they should have traded it away completely, but they could have traded down with a team like the Isles or Leafs and gotten either an extra pick or a prospect of some sort as well as their 1st rounder (Reinhart / Rielly).
Cyclonis Posted - 04/16/2013 : 10:54:56
Consensus: They did not build properly!? Taking the BEST player, the seemingly most talented, is a good idea most times in the draft BUT when you have holes to fill you need to address them. I don't know how many times i saw Bob McKenzie on TSN suggest a defenseman but it sticks with you...

Don't be suprised to see Nail or Nuge on the block next year. At the beginning of this thread I posted they should have taken Grigorenko as he was BIG and a CENTER! I wanted to put him between Hall and Eb's (yes i am a dreamer)! Now I have to say I was wrong! Although in my defense Whitney was supposed to be answer.

Anyway! Trouba or Murray should have been the guy. I like Trouba for the attitude and toughness. But they need to START rebuilding the defense and Murray was the best all around D available in my opinion.

MacT has time as he will have the "evaluating talent" cushion all new GM's get but he will be expected to TAKE the reins in Edmonton. I will be shocked if he gives the young oilers a year to mature and i am not sure that it is the answer anyway. *sigh* SO how does the 2013 draft look...?
sahis34 Posted - 04/03/2012 : 18:25:50
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I wish this draft was a little deeper. I think the Oilers have far more than enough young skill players and don't really need another. I would like to see this pick packaged in a trade for a legit top 1 or 2 defenseman or a blue chip goalie.

The top 6 in Edmonton is alreaddy full and a 19 yr old defenseman is likely 3 yrs out from contributing.

Trade the pick

they could also trade gagner and draft grigerenko, or else trade down and draft a defenseman
Beans15 Posted - 04/03/2012 : 17:43:03
I wish this draft was a little deeper. I think the Oilers have far more than enough young skill players and don't really need another. I would like to see this pick packaged in a trade for a legit top 1 or 2 defenseman or a blue chip goalie.

The top 6 in Edmonton is alreaddy full and a 19 yr old defenseman is likely 3 yrs out from contributing.

Trade the pick
Clatts Posted - 04/03/2012 : 12:23:27
Ive never seen Grigorenko play, unless he was at the World Juniors in which case I didn't notice him (maybe too much beer). I like Dumba out of Red Deer, that boy can HIT!

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
Cyclonis Posted - 04/03/2012 : 10:12:31
I think Grigorenko is the consensus number two (2)! So as Guest 4178 suggests he would be the best pick - talent wise as per the scouts. Oilers fans have some issues with first round Russian picks, see draft year 2000, 1st round pick Alexei Mikhnov. Do you risk losing a Malkin and take a promising Defenseman?

Yes we have alot of holes to fill and we could use a young puck moving D man which they tried to make Gilbert into and failed miserably. Cam Barker does not seem to be answer here either so...Murray who screams skill to me gives me shivers. I would love to see him play the point on the PP AND help to solidify the defense.

BUT...Grigorenko is exciting due to his size as well though! 6'3" and 200lbs? Really! Who doesn't remember Mario and his size and speed!? So difficult to handle as he was so big and if you are offended i would reference a great like Mario...Joe Thornton in a Bruins sweater after he came into the league working in the corner with D-men bouncing off him! The Oilers have a serious lack of size up front that this young man could address. Exciting no!?
Sensfan101 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 17:09:57
I think the Oilers are making a huge mistake if they take Grig ahead of Murray. Not only are the Oilers in need of defensemen I am not at all sold on Grigorenko. From what I've heard he's a pretty lazy guy and doesn't use his size enough. Who knows he could figure it out and become a great player or he could just be the next extremely talented Russian who doesn't try. I would take Yakupov, Murray, Forsberg, Dumba and maybe even Trouba or Galchenyuk before Murray, but then again I'm no expert.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Alex116 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 16:21:44
Isn't Grigorenko the consensus #2 behind Yakupov? Not that the Oilers couldn't move up during the lottery (or the next / last few games of the season) but everything i hear has him going at #2. The Oil seem to have enough scoring forwards and really need more depth up front as well as some quality dmen. I think they'd prob be happy to pick at 3 or 4 and grab either Murray or Mathew Dumba who some have ranked ahead of Murray as the #1 dman prospect. Dumba is compared to Phaneuf as a more hard hitting yet offensive damn, while Murray has been compared to S. Niedermayer as an all around stud.
Guest4178 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 14:11:19
My opinion is that teams should select the best player available, regardless of playing position. You can always trade for a defenseman (or goalie) if you need talent at this position. Or you can try to sign a free agent at the position where you're weak as a team.

I have to say that the Oilers do not appear to be tanking it to get the best possible lottery pick. In the last ten games, only four teams have put up more points than the Oilers, so they're not exactly throwing in the towel!

The same cannot be said about the Habs, and maybe I'm naive, but I would have a hard time believing any team (the players) would deliberately throw games to get a better spot in the draft.

I'm not so sure about GM's though. If you go back in history, there have been more than a few examples of teams who traded away "today" for the future, knowing that they had no chance of making the playoffs at the trade deadline. And if you're not going to make the playoffs, you may as well finish with a better draft pick (and for seven rounds) than finish on the outside looking in.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page