Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Outdoor Games in 2014

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
just1n Posted - 04/23/2013 : 13:01:54
So, the NHL is putting on 5 outdoor games in 2014. Do you guys think this is a little bit too much of a good thing?

Kings vs Ducks in Dodger Stadium makes me wonder, does it even get cold enough there to put that on? And being in Vancouver, having an outdoor game in BC Place sounds cool, but the chances of freezing temps is pretty much nil. I can't imagine going to an event like this either, since it would be hard to see much without binoculars, so I think at least.

What do you guys think?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/04/16/sp-nhl-outdoor-games-stadium-series-heritage-classic.html

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
umteman Posted - 04/26/2013 : 15:32:13
And with that said it occurs to me that I seem to be the only American regularly posting on this site.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
umteman Posted - 04/26/2013 : 15:30:48
We (Americans) also think 5 in a season is dumb. I liked the classic, that once a year event. It seemed something like a tribute to how everyone who plays hockey first started playing - outside on the frozen over ponds and creeks. 5 outdoor games is stricktly about money: more seats to sell and more network television coverage.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2013 : 14:04:25
I read somewhere than an outdoor exhibition game was played outside in Vegas but not sure if there is anything truth to that.

Personally, the concept is tired to the Canadian Hockey fan. It one outdoor game a year is a little much. The only game I would be intersted in seeing would be TOR vs OTT played on the Rideau Canel.

This 5 games next season is dumb. But, if it drags some more Americans toward the game, so be it. Like'em or not, the NHL needs the Yankee dollars to be sustainable.
Alex116 Posted - 04/23/2013 : 14:35:22
Too much as far as i'm concerned. I'm not all that interested in going to one of these as the view from the stands cannot be very good at all! I was oh so close to attending the original one back in Edmonton (vs Montreal) but it was a new gig at the time. Now it seems played.
just1n Posted - 04/23/2013 : 14:19:52
5 games seems a little excessive, but hell - why not. I wonder if the NBA will ever do the same. They've had college games on aircraft carriers, but I've never heard of it being done in a stadium.
nuxfan Posted - 04/23/2013 : 13:12:52
You don't need sub-freezing temperatures to have an outdoor game... but it does need to be close. There are plenty of ways to keep a sheet of ice frozen when the ambient temp is above 0.

That being said, I'm skeptical of Dodger Stadium given that LA is probably too warm - didn't they have to postpone one of the classics because of temperatures in the high-single digits?

Vancouver, I'm more worried about rain than anything, although I suppose BC Place has a retractable roof. I'm assuming it will be a night game, it gets cold enough at night in March to have hockey outside.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page