Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Bigger Collapse

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
@valanche Posted - 05/14/2013 : 14:08:40
Simply put, which Collapse was worse?

66 is > than 99
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4178 Posted - 05/15/2013 : 09:58:31
I'm not sure which collapse was worse, I'm not even sure which game (or series) had more viewership? (Or if this makes one collapse bigger than the other?)

But in terms of collapse, it should be noted that the Canadian World Junior Team was a collection of kids (well mostly kids, and ages 18-19 years old) who only played together for a few weeks, in a single-game knock out game to determine the winner.

While some of the junior players were already drafted, many were not signed to NHL contracts. And some players were in their draft years, so there was a lot of pressure for them to compete on this world stage.

As for the Leafs, these guys are pros. They already have pro contracts, and many players are set for life financially.

Separate and apart from the financial aspect (which pales in comparison to winning for most of these players), one should expect that a team of pros should hold onto a lead better than a collection of junior aged players.

And when you add the element of familiarity, a team which has played together all season (as opposed to a group of players put together for a short period of time), should be more composed, and hold onto a lead better than a junior team.

One last point. Coaches also make a difference. While the Canadian juniors usually have top grade coaches, the best coaches are in the NHL. (Or should be.)

And coaches also benefit by familiarity. In the World Juniors, there is not much time (or opportunity) to get to know how a player or a line reacts when up or down on the scoreboard. But the Leafs had a 48-game season to help prepare them for the playoffs. I'm sure the Leafs had a number of games where they let a lead slip, something the coaches (and players) could learn and benefit from.

But in the end, you have to give the Bruins credit for coming back, so in terms of collapse, it's a bit of both – the Leafs collapsing, and the Bruins storming back to win the game, and the series.
n/a Posted - 05/15/2013 : 09:36:00
The Leafs loss, however epic and unexpected, was still Game 7 of the FIRST ROUND (of 4!!!) only, in the NHL playoffs. You can't really compare that to an international tournament where the collapse happened in the final game. Heck, despite it being the juniors, I bet the world viewership for that junior game was still more than the Leafs/Bruins game 7, despite it having the Leafers involved with an original 6 team.

Juniors hands down, folks.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
mandree888 Posted - 05/15/2013 : 09:16:25
i went with the juniors!
althought the leafs made a record with that loss.
the juniors was national every canadian felt that.
Guest9205 Posted - 05/15/2013 : 09:09:03
Gotta give them credit for sticking in there and almost winning the series. But 99% of hockey fans didn't think they had a chance. Similar to the Isles. Who'da thunk they would play that well against PIT. But realistically.....no one thought they had a chance either. I just hope they tired PIT out enough to let the Sens at least try and win this series. Although by the game last night.....doesn't look great.
@valanche Posted - 05/14/2013 : 16:14:06
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2714

Do you play in the playoffs for moral victories or to win the stanley cup? Theres no doubt Toronto will be better off in the future for this loss. Boston blew a 3-0 lead in games and a 3-0 lead in game 7 to Philadelphia in 2010. They won the cup the next year. Point being at the time it was the worst feeling ever. no moral victories just a desire to never feel that pain again. Toronto has that pain now, but wait till next year.

You can't take any positives away from the season unless you win the cup?
I find that hard to beleaf.

66 is > than 99
Guest2714 Posted - 05/14/2013 : 15:31:19
Do you play in the playoffs for moral victories or to win the stanley cup? Theres no doubt Toronto will be better off in the future for this loss. Boston blew a 3-0 lead in games and a 3-0 lead in game 7 to Philadelphia in 2010. They won the cup the next year. Point being at the time it was the worst feeling ever. no moral victories just a desire to never feel that pain again. Toronto has that pain now, but wait till next year.
@valanche Posted - 05/14/2013 : 14:10:29
I went with the Canada juniors loss.

1. It was the championship game
2. The leafs proved they could play against Boston a moral victory on its own

66 is > than 99

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page