Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 who wins ..sens/pens....

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4624 Posted - 05/11/2013 : 22:50:06
This series is going to be good....
38   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 05/24/2013 : 15:17:28
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I have watched a bit of the series and I don't see too many really poor calls. I think there are some marginal calls and some calls that have been missed but none more for one team than the other.

I think i just saw a challenge flag thrown at that comment Beans......
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/24/2013 : 15:13:33
Could be, I can only remember instances, much like the Montreal series where Montreal was claiming much the same. That one highlight replay with the missed crosscheck is the one that sticks out the most only because it resulted in an end run goal.

I will be happy if Ottawa win or loses, but plays a better game. They have to exit there own zone well, stop with the risky passes exiting there zone or entering the pens zone and get back to what made them successful, checking hard, but clean, dump chase, capitalize on mistakes and play responsible in there end. If they do that and lose I will still be cheering for the great year at the end of the game.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Beans15 Posted - 05/24/2013 : 12:08:19
I have watched a bit of the series and I don't see too many really poor calls. I think there are some marginal calls and some calls that have been missed but none more for one team than the other.

I think the reason the Pens are getting the PP advantage is based on their ability to keep the offensive pressure on during 5-5 play. More often than not a team will take more penalties when they are under constant pressure.

That's my take anyway.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/24/2013 : 10:44:24
Heard that Spezza, Michalek and Alfredson will be reunited for the first time this year on a line. That pairing was split due to a lack of secondary scoring a few years ago. Should be fun to watch that line tonight, if its Alfredsons last game I hope he goes out with a bang.

Hoping Kassian is the player to sub in for the forth line and Gryba is fit to play on defense, as the size and weight of these 2 will help. If anything the Pens will limp into the 3rd round with that as the final lineup.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/24/2013 : 09:57:21
Honestly, I was thinking of the Canucks when I delayed asking if others had noticed it. It seems by merely suggesting a slant labels you as trying to excuse your teams poor performance. Ottawa has played poorly this round and only shows flashes of what got them to this point so far. Hey you never know Game 5, hostile environment, Anderson playing after a poor performance and Ottawa has to defend Alfies poor comments after game 4, didn't agree with how he or Maclean responded, but who knows how the rest of the Sens will respond tonight. Tonight could be a fun game to watch.

Alex116 Posted - 05/24/2013 : 07:23:05
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9053

The reffing in game 4 was a farce yet again... Pittsburgh could do no wrong and Ottawa would get penalties for sneezing anywhere near Crosby. Once the game was completely out of reach, it did a 180. Honestly felt like a bunch of calls just to make the total number of penalties look somewhat acceptable.

... That said, Ottawa didn't show up anyway and Pittsburgh's been the NHL darling for several years now so lopsided penalties was kind of expected, but not THAT bad.

Has there been a single building where the crowd hasn't chanted "Refs, you suck" so far in these playoffs? Only one I can think of is maybe the Consol

Complaining about the refs? You sound like a Canucks fan! Have no fear, there's plenty-o-room on the bandwagon here in Vancouver, in fact, you came at a time when many have just recently jumped off!
Guest9053 Posted - 05/24/2013 : 05:13:02
The reffing in game 4 was a farce yet again... Pittsburgh could do no wrong and Ottawa would get penalties for sneezing anywhere near Crosby. Once the game was completely out of reach, it did a 180. Honestly felt like a bunch of calls just to make the total number of penalties look somewhat acceptable.

... That said, Ottawa didn't show up anyway and Pittsburgh's been the NHL darling for several years now so lopsided penalties was kind of expected, but not THAT bad.

Has there been a single building where the crowd hasn't chanted "Refs, you suck" so far in these playoffs? Only one I can think of is maybe the Consol
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/23/2013 : 18:04:52
I can't say to much without sounding too biased, but there was a few questionable calls in the 3rd, with the game 6-2 which didn't really matter and on the highlights the commentators showed the crosscheck in the 2nd period I did not watch, uncalled on Karlsson, which the checker (I believe Cooke) went end to end for a goal, while Karlsson limped off. That was just what the commentators showed and all I seen from the game highlights.

A few friends who have been able to watch more games have been asking me if I had noticed the biased refereeing and to be honest I have seen a small bit of the games, but not enough of the games to say there is a series slant. I have been tracking the stats and penalty wise there is an advantage penalty wise and powerplay wise to the Pens, which is never a good thing when facing the Pens. The prior series against Montreal, it seemed almost slanted to my Sen's, penalty wise and for puckluck, but this series, except for Alfredson's goal late in game 3, the Pens have had more puckluck. The reason I haven't been more critical of the calls is the Sen's are not playing anywhere near as good as they could/should to win this series, so a few call going against are not gonna change the fact they deserve to be 1-3 in this series.

I really thought this series was gonna be closer.

Alex116 Posted - 05/23/2013 : 17:15:08
I didn't see any of the game nor the hilights. I was watching the score on my cell phone and checking it every now and then and it looks like Anderson kept them in early but eventually that potent offense i spoke of came through.

Didn't see or hear of anything too controversial, aside from Alfie's comment after the game about what he thought there chances to win 3 straight were. Yikes! Don't think i've ever heard a captain be so brutally honest.......EVER!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/23/2013 : 14:03:12
I am eating Crow today and had a feeling I would be. But I would like to rant a little. I was watching the last period of the game after I got home from work and had only seen the highlights of the game that got away. Were the Penguins that good or Ottawa that bad? I seen lots of questionable calls and some of the highlights showed a crosscheck to Karlsson on a play where the same player who did the offending crosscheck, which hobbled Karlsson, did an end run to score. Did Ottawa lose its composure? When I tuned in it was already 5-2 and it was beyond reach at that point with Lehner in net.

Alex116 Posted - 05/22/2013 : 23:44:32
quote:

Do you remember that time when the guy said Pitt would be more focused and inspired in game three and Joshua disagreed???

I remember

How about that time that that guy said Pittsburgh would come out and put up 4 or 5 and that Ottawa better stay outta the penalty box? Well, 2 for 5 on the PP and a 7 goal outburst is kinda like what i was getting at really.

Joshua....i'm rooting for the Sens and totally understand your points on what's been going on. It's just that a team like the Pens is really hard to shut down completely. Anderson's been great all year, but if you don't have a guy in net playing like Tim Thomas 2 years ago or J. Quick last year, you're in very tough vs a team as potent as this years Pens!

Beans15 Posted - 05/22/2013 : 21:57:46
Do you remember that time when the guy said Pitt would be more focused and inspired in game three and Joshua disagreed???

I remember

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/22/2013 : 15:04:00
Didn't I already win your signature. I am quite happy with Neil's name after every post to this point.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Didnt we say the exact same thing about Montreal "roughly" about game 4? I expect the Sen's to get better tonight, as well.

I never said that about Montreal. Not that I recall. I figured after the donnybrook that Montreal was done.

Montreal also didn't have guys named Malkin or Crosby in their line-up.

We will find out in about 6 hours. Care to wager a signature on this game??

Beans15 Posted - 05/22/2013 : 10:03:38
quote:

Didnt we say the exact same thing about Montreal "roughly" about game 4? I expect the Sen's to get better tonight, as well.

I never said that about Montreal. Not that I recall. I figured after the donnybrook that Montreal was done.

Montreal also didn't have guys named Malkin or Crosby in their line-up.

We will find out in about 6 hours. Care to wager a signature on this game??

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/22/2013 : 09:23:48

Beans15 Posted - 05/22/2013 : 09:19:50
I can say this, the Sens outplayed the Pens in the last 2 periods of the last game. Pitt looked better but obviously didn't get the goal in OT. Otherwise, Pitt was incredibly dominant in the first two games.

I fully expect to see a more focused and inspired Penguins team tonight.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/22/2013 : 08:19:39
Was listening to the TSN commentators yesterday, Penguins have scored 1 goal in the last 6 periods of play, while the Sens have scored 4. The Sens are out hitting, chancing, while the Penguins are on there heels. Anderson and Lehner appear to be in the heads of the Penguins. The Sens whole game is to limit scoring opportunities early and dig deep in the 3rd. If you look at the 3rd period of game 2 it could have gone either way as the Sens kept boucing back. In 3 games the Sen have scored 6 but 5 of those have come in the last 2 games while the Pens have scored 9, 5 of which have also come in the last 2 games, which to me looks like a close series. Outside of the game 1 blowout this is a closer series than most people are giving credit. If Ottawa wins tonight this series is gonna be real close, with the edge of durability to the younger Sens and there depth. 1 thing the Pens are still dominant on is shot blocking. Thats gonna wear your team as much as hard checking, whether your the checker or the one being checked. Either way I am glad my Sens showed up in this series.

Guest9205 Posted - 05/22/2013 : 05:57:55
Alex116....not to sure I agree. Sens limited the Pens with great D. To me it looked like the SENS had more scoring opportunitys but just couldn't capitalize. The PENS whole deal is outscore...not matter what the opposition scores. Ottawa stopped em in their tracks. This can continue. Pens are dangerous for sure. With 1 game under his belt Spezza (who I think won like 60 % of his faceoffs) Between him, turis and Pageau this should do nothing but help with scoring now. Pens could win this for sure. But don't count on them scoring 4-5 anymore...... Wouldn't be surprised to see Sens win this game 3-1 4-1 with an empty netter,
Guest9848 Posted - 05/22/2013 : 03:29:28
Pens in 7
Alex116 Posted - 05/21/2013 : 21:24:29
Joshua.....Don't wanna rain on your parade, but i got a bad feeling about game 4. It's not often the Pens are held to just one goal! I fear they may come out and put up 4 or 5. Yes, the Sens did a good job, but they needed a shorthanded goal with under 30 seconds left to force OT and even give them a chance at the win.

Maybe they can contain the Pens again with last change and home ice, fans, etc, but with the talent on the PP that Pittsburgh throws out there, the Sens would be very wise to steer clear of the penalty box!!!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/21/2013 : 17:57:39
I hid from game 1 because honestly I didn't see the compete I was looking for from the Sens. Game 2 was a high scoring affair which usually favours the Pens, but I started to see the matchups I was looking for with the Sens missing on good scoring chances and the Pens shot blocking parade which kept the game a lot closer than what I heard in the press post game. Game 3 was a game changer with Crosby nuetralized, hits a plenty, faceoffs favouring the Sens when it mattered, Spezza finally back giving space to the remainder of the roster and the Sens gut one out. 6-6 on the penatly kill with a short handed goal by the Captain, the 4th line pots the winner in overtime and a 49 save performance from Anderson.

For the record this is the 1st loss this season for the Pens when reaching overtime or Shootout.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/14/2013 : 09:11:30
I get that a lot of people don't think the Sen's have the offense, but lets look at that. Ottawa has 9 (not counting Benoit) players playing at better than 75% ppg in Ottawa. Pittsburg only had 7 players better than 50%. This was against #2 in the East, a team which prior to the playoffs was considered a decent defensive team and that is with there biggest offensive threat out to injury (Spezza) and there other 2 biggest offensive threats playing injured (Michalek, Karlsson). Not giving excuses to Michalek, but a Michalek and Karlsson are gonna benefit from the week long rest the most. Ottawa scored 20 goals in 5 games at 4 gpg, while Pittsburg scored 26 in 6 games at 4.33 gpg.

g a games
Alfredson 2 4 5 1.2ppg
Karlsson 1 5 5 1.2ppg
Method 1 4 5 1 ppg
Turris 3 2 5 1 ppg
Pageau 3 2 5 1 ppg
Benoit 0 1 1 1 ppg
Gonchar 0 4 5 .8 ppg
Condra 1 3 5 .8 ppg
Zibanejad 1 3 5 .8 ppg
Conacher 3 0 4 .75 ppg
Silverberg 2 1 5 .6 ppg
Kassian 0 2 4 .5 ppg
Latendress 1 0 2 .5 ppg
Neil 0 2 5 .4 ppg
Michalek 1 1 5 .4 ppg
Smith 1 0 5 .2 ppg
Phillips 0 1 5 .2 ppg
Cowen 0 1 5 .2 ppg

The story is actually the opposite on goals against, Pittsburg will have a harder time maintaining gpg against Ottawa who, no offense to NYI, can play the PK, have a much better defense corp and Goalie. As for goals against Ottawa allowed 9 or 1.8 gapg, while Fleury let in 14, while Vokoun let in 3, thats 17 or 2.8 gapg.

Kudo's to the NYI for getting to the goaltenders, but I don't think respect is being given to Ottawa's offense without Spezza, as I believe than can score on the level of NYI. If Spezza is playing and effective its only gonna get better as the space on the ice, for the remainder of the roster, is better with him in the lineup.

Guest6935 Posted - 05/14/2013 : 08:09:11
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4693

If the Islanders had Proper Goaltending Islanders would have won..

I could say the same with the Pens and any other team for that.
Guest4693 Posted - 05/13/2013 : 22:00:19
If the Islanders had Proper Goaltending Islanders would have won..
@valanche Posted - 05/13/2013 : 18:12:51
quote:

I am trying to understand, who was working who. 1st time they played the Sens went to SCF. 2nd time they faced maybe. I don't think Turris is the Crosby killer either there is no doubt the Centers are stronger in Pitts offensively.

I was talking about the most recent time they played. Forgot the Sens beat them the year try went to the cup. Regardless, Crosby put on a clinc that second time the teams played in the playoffs.

66 is > than 99
Alex116 Posted - 05/13/2013 : 16:23:57
I think the Pens, after a small scare in round 1, will come out flying and win this one. They swept the season series with Ottawa this year, albeit in 3 close games (2-1 s/o, 4-2 and 3-1) and just have so much more firepower.

I think the Pens will run with Vokoun myself, but we'll have to wait and see i guess?
The Duke Posted - 05/13/2013 : 15:51:32
I don`t think the pens are going to beat the Sens as easily has some of my friends think.

Ottawa has argueably ( i think he is right now ) the best goalie in the playoffs. Ottawa has a big tough team which works its arses off. They will hit the Pens hard, over and over, this takes its effect over a long series.

Crosby and Malkin will be huge for Pitt. , if they fail, so will the Pens.

Pitt. will be facing a totally diffrent style of game againist Ott., it will be interesting to see what happens. Slozo put it best when he said its Offense vs Defense....so true......as for the Sens scoring, you don`t need many goals for when your goalie posted a 1.41 GAA before he got hurt this season.

BUT, this is Pitt, every game, this is not your average Offense....this 1.41 GAA could be 3.41 in this series, if so the Pens win.

This series reminds me of LA ( gretzky ) and co. vs P.Roy and the Canadians back in 1993....... NOT saying Anderson is P. Roy but he is damn good.....similar situation.....We all know the outcome of that 1
Beans15 Posted - 05/13/2013 : 09:35:42
I think the Islanders had the offensive to match Pitt which pushed them to the 6 game mark. I don't think the Senators have the firepower to keep up. I also think this match-up will be about goaltending but not about Anderson. We know what he will give. The question is will the Pitt goaltending stand up?? They don't need to out-perform Anderson but they need to be respectable.

If the Pitt goalies allow 3 or fewer goals and have a save % of greater than .900 they will win.
n/a Posted - 05/13/2013 : 05:49:27
This is going to be D vs O . . . and usually, D wins. However, this is as formidable an offense as any past Oilers or Islanders dynasty, I'd say . . . two former MVPs who are basically the two best in the game right now (with all due respect to Stamkos and Ovie); 3 other players who were top 10 in goals, one of them a third liner basically; and then they added a former MVP and future HOFer in Iginla, who also provides further grit and leadership.

It will go down to the wire, and I doubt that Vokoun can out-duel Anderson, so they will simply have to out-score Ottawa. The Sens are fast on the counter-attack though, so it truly hinges I think on how much Crosby and Malkin can be neutralised by the Sens D.

I say Ottawa in 7, but it's a coin flip.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest9053 Posted - 05/13/2013 : 05:11:27
Pens have a killer offense, but Ottawa also had the second best D in the league before getting back Karlsson and Cowen. Karlsson's obviously not at 100% but he's still an upgrade.

Should be an interesting matchup. If the Pens ride Fleury, Senators will win in 6. If they go with Vokoun, Pens will win in 5. I expect they'll play both their goalies throughout the series so I'll predict a Pens in 7.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/12/2013 : 20:48:39
I am trying to understand, who was working who. 1st time they played the Sens went to SCF. 2nd time they faced maybe. I don't think Turris is the Crosby killer either there is no doubt the Centers are stronger in Pitts offensively.

@valanche Posted - 05/12/2013 : 14:57:54
Remember the first time spezza played Crosby in the playoffs ...he got worked.
I don't see turris having much success either.

66 is > than 99
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/12/2013 : 12:54:51
I am picking the sens in 6. I think they will win 1 in Pittsburg and 1 at home and win the last 2 as the Pen's get worn out by the hard checking and steady play of Anderson and defense. As good as the forwards are in Pittsburg I don't expect all to make it thru this series. Iginla having a stellar round could be the deal breaker here and a healthy Spezza would definatly make life easier, but I would rather see Pittsburg than Boston.

In the season series Ottawa was leading in the game Karlsson got injured, played it close on game 2 with a 13 player rookie roster while being tough on pittsburgs players, in the final game threw the rule book out to punish the Pittsburg players and still kept it close. They are healthier now and I am thinking the Penguin wished Montreal had done the favour of avoiding this matchup as the Sens have a grudge.

Guest9630 Posted - 05/12/2013 : 10:43:26
Pens were lucky to beat the Isles and did not deserve to win that series. Sens are a bigger, stronger team then NYI, so it will be a close series I think that will come down to goaltending and I think Anderson will outplay Vokoun (Pens are crazy if they go back to Fleury). Matt Cooke, keep your head up this round!!
umteman Posted - 05/12/2013 : 09:11:19
exactly. too much firepower.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Oilearl Posted - 05/12/2013 : 07:08:25
Penguins have too many weapons offensively that can hurt you. I agree the Sens have stronger goaltending but eventually the Pens will overwhelm their defence and to take this series in 6.
umteman Posted - 05/12/2013 : 05:19:21
Pens in 6.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Guest4624 Posted - 05/11/2013 : 22:51:22
I well say sens for the simple reason Goaltending .. The fact that the Pens Look so Slow crazy .. the islanders where doing circles around most pen's...

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page