Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 John Tortorella FIRED

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4667 Posted - 05/29/2013 : 12:34:28
Are we surprised in the least ..... After benching B Richards I dont think soo..
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Oilearl Posted - 05/30/2013 : 06:24:32
His comments about his players to the press were too abrasive, even saying "He stinks on the power play" would also be a factor. To me that was over the line, it may be true but that would shut down any room. He had to go.
The_Gipper Posted - 05/30/2013 : 05:24:47
i heard on TSN radio yesterday that Lundqvist had hinted at the fact that he wouldn't sign long-term if Tort's was still behind the bench. with that, Sather basically had a choice between the coach and his star goalie. i'm not saying that this was the only factor behind the firing, but in that scenario alone it's not difficult to make a decision: keep Henrik....fire the coach.
n/a Posted - 05/30/2013 : 04:36:51
What an A-hole Tortorella was - don't let the door hit you on your butt on the way out.

Like all big decisions like this, it's almost always a combination of things. They had some very good regular seasons, made the conference finals last year, and this year were supposed to be one of the favourites. Instead they faltered badly, dealt their big star Gaborik, barely made the playoffs, then were ousted in the second round, basically because they couldn't score.

I think Tortorella had lost the room as well, on top of the inability to succeed behind high expectations. The Richards mismanagement was well documented, but where was Rick Nash? 1 goal and 4 assists and largely invisible . . . and there were other supporting cast members who also didn't show up very often, leaving it to be a one man show - Lundqvist.

The Rangers, I think, never really recovered and re-grouped after Gaborik left and completely changed the dynamic of the team. And the coach didn't adapt well enough.

I'm sure he'll get a job somewhere else however . . . he still has that ring on his finger.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4667 Posted - 05/29/2013 : 20:05:25
I think Sather needs to go .. Picking bad coaches should be Bad ...
Alex116 Posted - 05/29/2013 : 17:51:49
Joshua, my post was in reply to the OP. You made it clear that you read an article that Torts wasn't behind the benching so obviously it wasn't a reply to you.

I agree on the buyout, yet that's a LOT of money to throw away! Everything i read seems to be 50/50 split as to whether or not the Rangers will use their 2nd and last buyouts on him???
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/29/2013 : 15:52:26
I didn't mean to say that Richard's benching had anything to do with why Torts was fired only that the 2 decisions were managements decisions, not Torts and looks clearly like Richards will be bought out after Tort's firing, even though Sather hasn't confirmed that either.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I think it has more to do with 3 series wins in 5 years than it does benching Richards. They were 1 and 1 in playoff games he was benched so it's hard to say that was the reason for the loss. It had more to do with not getting the best out of his offensive players like Nash, Richards and Gaborik when he was there.

Keep in mind, the benching wasn't so much to send a message as it was to say "hey, sorry, but you just aren't helping us". Richards isn't the type of guy who'd have helped by bumping him down to the 4th line either.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Alex116 Posted - 05/29/2013 : 14:04:11
I think it has more to do with 3 series wins in 5 years than it does benching Richards. They were 1 and 1 in playoff games he was benched so it's hard to say that was the reason for the loss. It had more to do with not getting the best out of his offensive players like Nash, Richards and Gaborik when he was there.

Keep in mind, the benching wasn't so much to send a message as it was to say "hey, sorry, but you just aren't helping us". Richards isn't the type of guy who'd have helped by bumping him down to the 4th line either.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/29/2013 : 13:25:44
There was an article on NHL.com which said that it might not have been Tortorella's decision to bench Richards. Sather aluded to the fact that might have been a management decision and said all of the executives made the decision to fired Torts. Being that both Torts and Richards are close I think management made the decision to lose both moving forward. Best decision Sather has done in years!

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page