Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 Oilers fire head coach Ralph Krueger

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4377 Posted - 06/08/2013 : 16:43:26
Maybe not a complete surprise, but how many Oilers head coaches is that since Craig MacTavish was fired (or resigned?) four years ago?

From Pat Quinn to Tom Renney to Ralph Krueger - a different coach almost every season!

Now that MacTavish is back with the Oilers, I guess he wants his own kind of coach!
39   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/17/2013 : 11:05:42
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Ok Alex, now I think we are talking the same language. I totally agree that by the time the actually Skype call was made, Krueger likely saw the writting on the wall. Darren Dreger was reporting the situation on Sunday morning and I believe Kreuger was fired on Monday.

Certainly, at the time of the phone call he was likely aware. Fair point.

To Joshua's comments, I wouldn't agree that he did enough to get another season. He certainly has proven to be a brilliant special teams coach and that is where I see him landing next. But there continued to be the same old accounability issue with Oilers players. Little passion was shown from many of the 'older players' until they were benched. They would then work hard to get 'unbenched' (is that a word?) then would show very little on the ice. In other cases, guys like Fistric and Brown would work their junk off on the ice and they either get benched or scratched for long periods of time.

I was no huge fan of Krueger. I just think everyone deserves a bit more respect than getting fired over a Skype call.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

My thoughts to what you just said above is it wasn't the coaches time to go, it was the veterans who only played to not be scratched. There needs to be a culture change in Edmonton and you can't do that with a roster who continuosly underperforms when it matters. Edmonton wont challenge for the playoffs with problems on the roster. They have changed the coach enough to see it isn't the system or the coach. Ralph was just the latest casualty of this boys club, (ie, Mact, Lowe and veterans of the boys club) Again, I dont see Eakins as an upgrade, just a fitness buff. He has got drive, I will give him that, but what kind of a coach is he?

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Beans15 Posted - 06/17/2013 : 10:33:42
Ok Alex, now I think we are talking the same language. I totally agree that by the time the actually Skype call was made, Krueger likely saw the writting on the wall. Darren Dreger was reporting the situation on Sunday morning and I believe Kreuger was fired on Monday.

Certainly, at the time of the phone call he was likely aware. Fair point.

To Joshua's comments, I wouldn't agree that he did enough to get another season. He certainly has proven to be a brilliant special teams coach and that is where I see him landing next. But there continued to be the same old accounability issue with Oilers players. Little passion was shown from many of the 'older players' until they were benched. They would then work hard to get 'unbenched' (is that a word?) then would show very little on the ice. In other cases, guys like Fistric and Brown would work their junk off on the ice and they either get benched or scratched for long periods of time.

I was no huge fan of Krueger. I just think everyone deserves a bit more respect than getting fired over a Skype call.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/17/2013 : 09:05:15
I dont care if he had an inkling or not. He did a good enough job that he should have been given the support an experienced assistant coach would bring to improve the team for another season. Someone who could have brought the experience of improving the Oilers 5 on 5 as Ralph had the team playing well on special teams.

I am hoping Eakins isn't a step back for this franchise. From what I have read he is a good fit, but I have seen good fits go wrong in Edmonton a lot. I hear Eakins is a fitness nut and is gonna improve the fitness level of his team, but I have no idea what kind of a coach or his coaching style. All I know is he is gonna make them a more fit team.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Alex116 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 11:12:30
Beans.....Here's why i think the Canucks were interested in a serious manner. He may not fit the bill of an experienced guy Gillis originally claimed to be looking for, but this happened:
The Canucks interviewed highly regarded coaching prospect Dallas Eakins last week, and will reportedly chat with deposed Dallas Stars bench boss Glen Gulutzan at some point this week. But apparently Eakins nailed his interview and will be brought in to chat with Mike Gillis and company for a second time in short order.
If they were just "kicking tires" and were dead set on an experienced guy, i don't think they'd have wasted their time planning a second interview. FTR, i'm not sure if this interview (2nd) ever took place or if the Oilers signed him before they got the chance???

Here's my whole point. At seasons end and/or when Kreuger went away, i don't think he feared his job was in jeopardy whatsoever. "Blindside" is the key. A blindside to me is something totally unexpected happening. So, his firing can def be considered a blindside. I just think that rumour would have gotten around to him at some point before the Skype call that Eakins was being interviewed and if he knew the position Eakins was in in regards to being ready for an NHL head coaching spot, then he surely must have gotten slightly suspicious and / or nervous. I have a feeling that when he answered the skype call that he didn't necessarily think he was being replaced / fired, but that that thought and possibility had prob crossed his mind (even if he wasn't expecting it). So, either way, it can be considered a surprise / blindside, but when i read "blindside", i read that he was 100% shocked by the firing AND had ABSOLUTELY ZERO idea / inclination or had ever even considered the possibility that he may be canned. It's just my opinion, but i don't think this was the case. I feel he picked up that call being 90% certain he was safe, but with that slight thought in the back of his head that said "hmmmm, i sure hope this call goes the way i'm thinking it is and not _______".

Again, just my opinion and i could be totally wrong. It's just that in this day and age of communications and means of contact, rumours make their way around much quicker than ever before so if he had any contact with anyone whatsoever, i'd guess he may have had slight bit of fear in him when the skype call came in.
Beans15 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 04:55:37
Now that is a very fair and valid point Alex. Eakins doesn't have head coaching experience so he doesn't fit the bill of what they are looking for. You also said he was highly, sought after by other teams. But was he really being considered that strongly? In the interview Eakins did for the Edmonton Sun he stated he did a questionnaire and spoke over the phone with someone from the Rangers, he did have one short interview with the Canucks, and was scheduled to meet with Dallas this week but cancelled after taking the Oilers job. And you're right in saying Crawford's phone isn't ringing off the hook.

I still think that is using a bit more hindsight than you might agree to but I see the point. I think if you look hard enough at everything, the writing was on the wall. But you'd have to look really hard and take a few leaps of faith to get there. It wasn't a black and white firing like Tortorella or AV.

An OilinOntario, the press conference where MacT announced the termination and Krueger's interview the following day with Darren Dreger is where I heard both MacT and Krueger talk about the associate coaching plan.

Here is a direct quote from MacT 's presser:

As MacTavish addressed the media, he admitted the decision to fire Krueger began with an effort to add to the staff behind the bench. That admission hints that Edmonton could be very close to announcing Krueger's successor.

Eakins also is a candidate to fill the coaching vacancy with the Canucks, Dallas Stars or New York Rangers.

"Ralph and I at the end of the year spent the better part of a week discussing that we would add a veteran assistant coach or associate coach," MacTavish said. "During the process of me conducting those interviews, I recognized I was trying to add a coach that was more closely aligned with the way I wanted to run the team and less about supporting Ralph in the head-coaching role. It was at that point when I contemplated making the change if, in my opinion, I found the ideal fit for our hockey club."

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/13/2013 : 12:51:54
quote:

Krueger left one day knowing that MacT was looking for an associate coach Kreuger asked for and MacT agreed they would find. Krueger left with MacT telling him he was the head coach and had MacT's support.

How are you so sure of this? Sources?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Alex116 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 12:24:12
Beans, that's fine. Though i just don't agree with you in regards to MacT's intentions in regards to interviewing Eakins. I get that they wanted an AC with head coaching experience. That's fine, and Crawford fits that bill as does the "Dallas dude". However, i don't think those guys' phones have been ringing off the hook from teams looking for a head coach. Eakins', on the other hand, has! See the difference. I'm not saying "no coach who's been a head coach would ever be an AC". What i'm saying is, i highly doubt a guy like Eakins, who's interviewed with multiple NHL teams for head coach jobs, is going to be interested in an AC job in Edmonton! Let's face it, most guys, just like players, will chase the money! What do you think would pay more? Head coach in Vancouver or New York, or AC in Edmonton??? Really, it's clear to me which is more appealing!

Also, if Kreuger and MacT were seeing eye to eye on hiring an associate coach with "NHL head coaching experience", why were they even talking to Eakins???

Honestly, i look at this and from everything i hear about Eakins says he is exactly what the Oilers need. A young guy with a penchant for developing young talent. Seems like a good fit and seems awfully fishy that they're claiming they were interested in him as an AC.
Beans15 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 08:43:25
Alex:

The simple answer is yes.

Did you not read what I said??? Eakins, Crawford, and the dude from Dallas were all interviewed for the Associate coach job. Two of those three are seasoned NHL coaches. MacT and Krueger both confirmed that in their one on one discussions about an associate coach they were looking for someone with NHL head coaching experience. Thirdly, the Oilers have had an associate coach with NHL head coaching experience in recent past.

Why do you think I am banging on this drum?? I am not a moron, contrary to popular belief. The points are simple and I don't expect anyone to agree with my logic. But it is hard to argue. Let's be clear and simple:

-Kreuger asked for an associate coach with NHL experience and MacT agreed+MacT was doing the interviews for an associate coach+Kreuger was fired over Skype

=

Blindside.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and you can say all you want about should have seen this or that and new boss no vacation. Bottom line, both people involved have independently stated facts of the situation that are the same. Krueger left one day knowing that MacT was looking for an associate coach Kreuger asked for and MacT agreed they would find. Krueger left with MacT telling him he was the head coach and had MacT's support. He then got a call over Skype that he was fired.

I'm not trying to say I disagree if MacT wants to go in a different directly. My only point is that anyone who thinks Kreuger should have seen this coming is using only hindsight and not the situation at the time.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/12/2013 : 18:14:39
quote:

-If you leave for vacation and the boss is interviewing assistant while you are away, what is the first thought that comes to mind if you boss calls you while you are on vacation: is it "There must be a good assistant that the boss wants my feedback on," or is it, "am I being fired." What about that call coming through because of a great trade opportunity??

Simple. Unless I have overachieved In a huge way, new boss- no vacation. Ralphie must be a bit of a nut if he didn't realize that his job just might be in jeopardy. Why not hang out in the Wild Rose, and see how things pan out? Am I the only one who has had t put off a vacation because of work? And I am definitely underpaid. Most of us are. Pro athletes and the like are not underpaid. MacT was in town doing his job. Pretty sur he can afford a EuroTrip himself.
Alex116 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 15:52:36
quote:

Alex, you are seriously one of the most difficult people on this site at times.

Beans, i don't doubt that the above is true, however, you're in the same boat.

Want me to agree with you? Okay, fine. I agree with everything Beans on this topic, except the one important part you keep ignoring. Please answer me the following:
Are you gullible enough to believe that MacT was having Dallas Eakins come to Edmonton for an interview as an associate coach for an NHL team, when multiple other teams were interviewing him for head coach positions, including large market teams like the Rangers and Canucks??? If you do believe this, forget about my bridge, i'll find something worse to sell you!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/12/2013 : 15:16:56
Wow, I think you are being quick to judge. My boss does interview regardless of his other managers schedules and usually keeps his other managers in the loop. If Krueger was as blindsided as he says, was he aware that MacT was even interviewing Eakins? Or do you think the interviewing was hush, hush? If he knew that MacT was interviewing, it was poor of him to not be present for the interviewing. If MacT wanted to interview without him, I dont think it was the snap decision MacT was claiming.

Beans15 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 10:05:11
Alex, you are seriously one of the most difficult people on this site at times. Think about this for a second:

-If a new GM comes in, do you think it's unreasonable to think they will want at least some same in who an associate coach would be

-If you leave for vacation and the boss is interviewing assistant while you are away, what is the first thought that comes to mind if you boss calls you while you are on vacation: is it "There must be a good assistant that the boss wants my feedback on," or is it, "am I being fired." What about that call coming through because of a great trade opportunity??

-Marc Crawford was apparently interviewed for the associate coach job. There were rumors of the dude from Dallas also being interviewed. When Krueger was originally hired as an assistant coach, Quinn was the head coach with Renney (a seasoned head coach in the NHL) as the associate coach. This past year was the first in 5 the Oilers didn't have legit coaches as the associate coach. Why do you think the Krueger would have thought any differently about the future??

Honestly, this is exhausting. If you can't see this from any point of view from your own then so be it. I see that in hindsight there were signs that something was coming. But honestly, MacT's approach and how he terminated Krueger was a complete blindside. I have a had time seeing it as anything else.

Alex116 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 09:18:51
quote:

Alex, you are making some pretty big assumptions with your comments. There is nothing shocking to me that the GM was doing the search for the Associate coach. Is it hard to think that perhaps MacT was producing a short list for Krueger to then make a decision on??

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't coaches usually have the ability to hire their own assistants/associates? Maybe not always, but like is said in my last post, if Kreuger wasn't given this "free reign", then he should have been questioning his position in the organization, especially after the coaching carousel we've seen there the past 5-6 years!

quote:

Again, based on what both MacTavish and Krueger have said, the search was for an associate coach. If you are the head coach and you ASK the GM for an associate coach, the GM agrees and starts looking for one, then fires you in favour of the associate coach interview. That's a blindside.

That's like you telling your boss that you need an assistant, they agree and get HR working on finding you an assistant, then you get fired and the assistant gets our job.

That is the pure definition of blindside and Krueger had no idea it was coming. I know it's the nature of sport and blah blah blah, but it's still a blindside. And to do it over Skype is the icing on the cake made of feces.

Blindside = surprise. Yes? IF so, like it said before, i think Kreuger was prob surprised in the end that he was replaced. However, and this is just my opinion, i don't think when he answered that call (skype) that he was expecting anything but bad news as word likely got to him before then.

quote:

And the comments that they couldn't have signed Eakins before firing Krueger are pure and utter garbage. Things happen in hockey all the time that no one sees coming. Joel Quinville replaced Savard and that work was sent in motion well before Savard was fired. Gonchar was listed as going to the KHL one day and trades and signed by the Star almost the next day. I venture to say there are 2-3 coaches either hired or very close to hired and you, me, and the media don't have a clue about it.

No doubt these things happen, however, the whole point is, if Eakins was signed and they said "keep it quiet till we break the bad news to Ralphie", it likely would have leaked to Kreuger before he was told face to face. Heck, part of the reason they likely did it by skype was to save him reading about it online!!!

Lastly, i still find it hard to believe anyone is buying into Edmonton interviewing Eakins for an associate coach position but then "liking him so much they offered him the head coach spot" that was already occupied? You wanna talk "utter garbage"? Sheesh.....
Beans15 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 08:40:35
Alex, you are making some pretty big assumptions with your comments. There is nothing shocking to me that the GM was doing the search for the Associate coach. Is it hard to think that perhaps MacT was producing a short list for Krueger to then make a decision on??

Again, based on what both MacTavish and Krueger have said, the search was for an associate coach. If you are the head coach and you ASK the GM for an associate coach, the GM agrees and starts looking for one, then fires you in favour of the associate coach interview. That's a blindside.

That's like you telling your boss that you need an assistant, they agree and get HR working on finding you an assistant, then you get fired and the assistant gets our job.

That is the pure definition of blindside and Krueger had no idea it was coming. I know it's the nature of sport and blah blah blah, but it's still a blindside. And to do it over Skype is the icing on the cake made of feces.

And the comments that they couldn't have signed Eakins before firing Krueger are pure and utter garbage. Things happen in hockey all the time that no one sees coming. Joel Quinville replaced Savard and that work was sent in motion well before Savard was fired. Gonchar was listed as going to the KHL one day and trades and signed by the Star almost the next day. I venture to say there are 2-3 coaches either hired or very close to hired and you, me, and the media don't have a clue about it.

Guest5052 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 08:33:40
To quote Billy beane (well, Brad Pitt playing Billy bean)

Would you rather get one shot in the head or five in the chest and bleed to death?

Kruger being blindisded isnt such a big shock to me. Thats the ugly part of the sports and entertainment business.

A new GM has to make unpleasant choices, and if the coach was away while he made that choice and a sought after candidate was still availbale, you have to do whats best for the team.

... this is not to say that hiring eakins necessarily is the best move, time will tell. But there are lots of folks out there who think highly of him and its likely he wouldnt have been around.

If this happened all in isolation, then Id suggest that its not really a big deal. However, with the way they fired tambellini, and then half blamed him and half took credit for his no-brainer draft picks and then called out the fans who didnt go to games, I dont think it sets a very good organizational culture. That can change, and I hope it does, as I like the young talent there, but we'll see.
Alex116 Posted - 06/11/2013 : 17:07:40
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

I think the biggest point Alex was making was that once Eakins was signed, there would be no way to hide it.

Exactly what i was getting at!!!!!

quote:
MacT did say he was interviewing for an AC, but was so impressed with Eakins that he made the decision to replace Ralphie. Time will tell if this was a wise choice, but obviously it was also of the essence, as a few other teams were chasing Eakins' services.

Beans, what Oil says above leaves me shaking my head. Firstly, why wasn't Kreuger the one interviewing guys for AC positions? If he was not given "free reign" to hire his own AC's, then he darn well should have been looking in the rear view mirror since the season ended!!! I don't believe for a second that he was as blindsided AT THE TIME OF THE "SKYPING" as has been let on. I guess it's possible that being on vacation, he didn't look at internet but i highly doubt even then, that a friend wouldn't have notified him. Was he "blindsided" by the fact he was fired? Sure, i wouldn't doubt that for a second. But imo, when that call came though, i don't think THAT was the time of him being blindsided!

ETA....BTW, i have in fact read some of the stuff on this signing and the biggest joke i think i've read is that the Oilers / MacT was "originally interviewing Eakins as an associate coach for the Oilers". C'mon, are we expected to believe this crap??? Three other teams, two of which are pretty high profile markets, have interviewed him for a head coaching position (Vancouver, NYR and Dallas) and we're to believe he'd fly to Edmonton to consider a job as an associate coach??? Poppycock! Or strawman, or whatever those other sayings you and Slozo fire around Beans. Oh wait, is poppycock property of Fat Elvis? I can't remember.......
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/11/2013 : 16:13:23
I think the biggest point Alex was making was that once Eakins was signed, there would be no way to hide it. I could probably Google MacT's bowel movements if I really wanted to. Perhaps even share via Skype!

MacT did say he was interviewing for an AC, but was so impressed with Eakins that he made the decision to replace Ralphie. Time will tell if this was a wise choice, but obviously it was also of the essence, as a few other teams were chasing Eakins' services.

Beans15 Posted - 06/11/2013 : 12:47:32
Alex, if you were to do some reading on the situtation or listen to the interviews that Kreuger was involved in you would know that he stated he was completely blindsided by the call and the termination. He left on vacation with the understanding that MacT was interviewing associate coaches. Reading a little bit between the lines, the assumption is that Krueger was expecting MacT to talk to him about potential associate coaches and not getting fired.

They key is Krueger has been very clear that he was completely blindedsided. Based on MacT's comments from the press conferences, Krueger was completely blindsides. The comments that Krueger could have or should have known what was coming is simply not something I can get behind.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/11/2013 : 11:36:50
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Apparently Kreuger was vacationing in Switzerland when he got fired. I guess Skyping is better than text message, no?

Yeah, this is a tough one to judge. If he's outta town, do they give Eakins the job and tell him to keep quiet for a few weeks till Kreuger is back in town??? Would a phone call have satisfied everyone? I don't know, but maybe too much is being made of it without knowing everything about the situation. I'm certain that Kreuger wasn't just sitting at home and MacT didn't have the stones to meet with him face to face???

Seems to me MacT would have the stones, but is in a real big hurry to change things up. Certainly his execution was not ideal, but I highly doubt that he made this decision flippantly.

Not sure if I would rather be Skype-fired (Fire-Skyped?) than to come back from vacay to be old that I was fired a month ago. I'm thinking the former would be preferable.

And, Beans, I, too, am a bit fed up with the 'old school' boys approach, but you seem absolutely pissed about it. Who do you have in mind to run this team, if anyone?

And, what are the chances that Bucky and Smitty stick around as assistants, considering that Eakins has free reign (supposedly) of his staff?

Alex116 Posted - 06/11/2013 : 11:23:05
Beans...calling Kreuger to ask him to return at his earliest convenience would be brutal. If i'm Kreuger, i think i'd know what's up and i'd simply say, give it to me now so i need not fly home!!! Let's face it, Kreuger, wherever he is/was, has internet access (likely anyway) and saw/read the writing on the wall. It'd have been pretty obvious.

Signing Eakins, word would have leaked. Do you not think it'd be more disrespectful to Kreuger to have him hear they signed ANOTHER head coach??? NO, there's no rule that i know of about having 2 head coaches under contract, but talk about disprespectful!!!

I guess the only way would have been to fly to Switzerland (or wherever) and do the handshake thing. However, if i'm Kreuger and MacT calls me telling me he's heading to my vacation spot to chat, i think it'd be pretty obvious the reason and i'd tell him to take a hike and save himself the airmiles!

Beans15 Posted - 06/11/2013 : 11:04:16
Who cares where the guy is when MacT wants to talk to him. There is nothing stopping them from signing Eakins before they fired Krueger. Is there a rule against having 2 head coaches under contract??

Here is the respectful thing to do:

-Sign Eakins and let him know the announcement will come when they fire Krueger. It shows that if and when Eakins gets punted that he should be afforded the same respect.

-Contact Krueger and let him know he has to come to Edmonton as his earlier conveinence. Or, find out where he is a fly to him in Switerland.

-Fire Krueger face to face with a handshake at the end of the meeting. Be a man and show the respect that your former coach deserves

-Announce the firing and the new coach to the public

What's wrong with that??? Honestly, if I am offered a job and my proposed new boss just told me they fired the last guy over a Skype call, I am certainly 2nd guessing my decision to sign with the new company.

Alex116 Posted - 06/11/2013 : 10:20:06
quote:

Apparently Kreuger was vacationing in Switzerland when he got fired. I guess Skyping is better than text message, no?

Yeah, this is a tough one to judge. If he's outta town, do they give Eakins the job and tell him to keep quiet for a few weeks till Kreuger is back in town??? Would a phone call have satisfied everyone? I don't know, but maybe too much is being made of it without knowing everything about the situation. I'm certain that Kreuger wasn't just sitting at home and MacT didn't have the stones to meet with him face to face???
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/11/2013 : 08:45:53

n/a Posted - 06/11/2013 : 06:57:01
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Heard on the radio that this will be Sam Gagner's 5th coach in 7 years! THAT, can't be easy on a kid trying to develop his game!!

Especially since he's so ready to break out into that 70 point player some people on this site are claiming him to be . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 06/10/2013 : 21:24:05
Heard on the radio that this will be Sam Gagner's 5th coach in 7 years! THAT, can't be easy on a kid trying to develop his game!!
n/a Posted - 06/10/2013 : 21:16:56
I somewhat agree with Beans, but my caveat is, it's an ideal situation for Eakins to succeed in. Oilers have a young and talented team; they have disappointed, and yet show lots of promise; management is sure to make a move or two yet to help the team further. With a rookie coach, the bar is low, and when the team finished well out of the playoffs this year . . . it sets up a "close finish" in 9th or 10th perhaps as potentially successful, or at least, satisfactory, for the fans.

But agree with Beans on his points.
1) classless move / firing hiring method
2) Eakins being a fantastic coach of the Marlies means nothing in the NHL, and there is a long list of failed coaches in the NHL whose resumes were as good or better than Eakins' is/was

We'll see I guess, but hope Oilers fans realise that for Eakins, there will be a learning curve . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/10/2013 : 15:44:32
The Oilers definatly still have a few holes to fill. As said by others here, 1 offensive defenseman, 1 shutdown defenseman and I would suggest a few big bodied veterans up front to take the pressure of the youngstars. Horcoff, Smyth and Hemsky aside which do not provide the history of winning, they need to go and get a player or 2 who have won it all or at least bring that winning attitude. Another post suggests Iginla would be a good fit and although he would be the physical presence they lack, also with scoring touch, I don't see him coming to Edmonton, even though its his home town. I wonder if either Thorton or Marleau could be had in a trade with some of the young depth Edmonton has. I still say Edmonton needs to look for a 2nd goalie with a winning resume as either a backup or someone to push Dubnyk for the starting position.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/10/2013 : 15:24:16
The positive of this is Krueger is now available. Can't see how this benifits the Oilers as outside of 5 on 5 scoring, the Oilers took a step forward this season

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/10/2013 : 11:30:50
He definitely has the confidence!

Maybe too much. The way MacT has been handling himself in the press , he had better produce quickly, or he will be universally vilified the way Brian Burke was. I honestly don't wanna see that happen, but, enough with the bluster and arrogance, dude. Let's see some results first.

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 06/10/2013 : 11:03:10
I agree Beans. I may be a Hawks fan, but I get to see the Oilers play far more than Chicago. I want them to do well, but I'm not super confident in MacT.

I didn't like him as Coach, and I'm leery of him as GM as well.
Beans15 Posted - 06/10/2013 : 10:07:35
Firstly, MacT's arrogance come out very clearly in his presser. I am shocked an appauld by the fact he fired Krueger over Skype. Where is the respect??

Secondly, I am not sold on Eakins at all. Not saying he won't be a good coach but I don't understand how this is an upgrade?? He has zero NHL experience and this team will still need a seasoned associate coach with NHL experience. That is exactly what Krueger asked for but he got fired?? Why throw away a guy who brought the special teams from literally last in the league to near the top of the league?? I don't get it.

As far as what the Oilers need.

a) Legitimate 3rd and 4th line forwards that are at the very least a threat to score
b) A defensive player to replace Whitney and maybe one more depth defensemen

That's it. Those are the missing pieces. If the Kids are not called upon to score 100% of the goals this team will be fine. As I explained, ad nauseum in the past, the Oilers would have won around 15 more games had they scored just one more goal. That's the difference between not just making the playoffs but being a top 10 regular season team.

We'll talk about the playoffs if and when the Oilers get there.

For the record, the fan in me really wants MacT to do well but the logic in my head tells me he is going to be horrible for this team as a GM.

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 06/10/2013 : 08:35:14
4674 - I think you have it backwards. From the interviews I've seen with MacT, it sounds more like the vets are on their way out (Horcoff/ Hemsky).

The best teams in the league build by drafting and developing young talent, not by trading it away.

If Crawford can backstop Chicago to the President's trophy, then Dubnyk sure as hell can be a starting goalie. Crawford just has more help than Dubnyk.

What the Oil really seem to be missing is a deep defense. Can't get by on only 2/6 quality Dmen.
Guest4674 Posted - 06/09/2013 : 23:34:44
I see a entire new team next yr with Trades.. i can them trading a few young guys away for a few VET"S.. They Need a Freaking Goalie Im thinking they may go for Emery That would be a mistake thou...
sahis34 Posted - 06/09/2013 : 16:06:43
Stability is starting to become concerning
Alex116 Posted - 06/09/2013 : 10:33:05
If this is a done deal, it's a great signing for the Oilers. I can't imagine a better fit for both the team and the coach. Hopefully the team allows him a year or two to prove himself!
Oilearl Posted - 06/09/2013 : 08:26:55
Eakin was interested in either The Av's or Oilers stating he was more comfortable with younger players. When Roy got the job for the Avalanch he pursued the Oilers offer. As frustrated as I have become with the development of this team, I believe there will be many more moves to try and get them to the playoffs............ The time is now. If they don't start to produce then the management should be changed.
Guest4627 Posted - 06/08/2013 : 21:13:04
Signed sealed and Deliverd ... Eakins in as Coach of the Oiler's.. Out in 2 yrs I promise..
OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/08/2013 : 17:36:00
Actually it looks like the Oilers are in the running for Dallas Eakins. Heard he is great with developing younger players, so maybe a good fit. Wherever he ends up (Van,NYR, Edm), it will be interesting to see how his coaching skills translate to the NHL.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 06/08/2013 : 17:23:17
Like Ron Low or Teddy Green? God help us!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page