Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2013 off-season...the most interesting in history?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The_Gipper Posted - 06/19/2013 : 10:37:21
could this be the most interesting off-season ever? with the salary cap coming down, and teams being given the golden opportunity to rid themselves of those mega-contracts, i think this is shaping up to be the most interesting off-season in NHL's history.

stories are already flying around about certain players being bought out. Briere's already been told, and others are likely to follow soon after the Cup is won. other potentials are B. Richards, Lecavalier, Bryzgalov, and Komisarek just to name a few.

some teams will need to make some moves in order to get themselves within the cap limit. one of those is Philly. by signing Streit they will certainly need to move some players to lower their salary level.

also sounds as though plenty of goalies will be on the move as well. Bernier's already making headlines. the Luongo rumours never go away. and it sounds as though Buffalo may want to part way's with Miller.

and of course with some teams locking up their top-tier players to lucrative long-term deals, rumours are flying that these teams will be looking to shed some salaries as part of their longer term plans. Pittsburgh and Anaheim are two that are being talked about today.

so let's put it out to the PUH public? what do you think will be the biggest move this summer? the boldest? which team will make the biggest splash? it's on the table people, let's hear it all!!
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
markliso Posted - 09/28/2013 : 11:04:25
LOL kadri vs hopkins
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/24/2013 : 16:11:18
Or they could have let this contract go into mid season to see if he was gonna bounce back post injury. Either way going large and long beforehand for RNH seems very risky. Bridge might have been the a good way to go if Hopkins would sign 1, but he might not have agreed to 1. I don't understand the pressure to sign him longterm now.

I can understand someone who would compare RNH to Kadri. Both came in with offensive potential, have 3 years in the NHL, although for 2 Kadri couldn't crack the regular roster. I believe RNH size was comparable to Kadri, but Kadri has filled out more and is not considered injury prone to this point. Kadri's last season was what RNH ppg looks like.

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Kadri vs. Hopkins?? No way.

Firstly, RNH had a far deeper pedigree prior to hitting the NHL. Consensus #1 pick vs. a guy who was drafted earlier than many anticipated. Secondly, Kadri couldn't crack the NHL (on a bottom 5 team mind you) for the first 2 years of his entry level contract. RNH was a legit top 6 forward his first season and TIED the Calder winning player in point while playing 20 fewer games. RNH also scored a 0.5 PPG with a shoulder that required surgery. In 3 seasons without injury Kadri has one stretch of 44 games where he was a legit top 6 forward. RNH has been a legit top 6 forward for his 2 seasons in the league with 2 legit injuries. RNH is also 3 years younger, not the same age.

This is not even close to a comparable.

The ONLY flaw in this deal is RNH has not proven to be durable. The bridge deal I suggested would prove that. However, if the Oilers signed a $4 million bridge for 2 yrs. and RNH continues progress and stays healthy, the next deal he would have signed may need to be $7+ million. The Oilers are taking a risk that he will stay healthy and saving a few dollars if that's a winning bet

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Beans15 Posted - 09/24/2013 : 09:35:10
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Kadri vs. Hopkins?? No way.

Firstly, RNH had a far deeper pedigree prior to hitting the NHL. Consensus #1 pick vs. a guy who was drafted earlier than many anticipated. Secondly, Kadri couldn't crack the NHL (on a bottom 5 team mind you) for the first 2 years of his entry level contract. RNH was a legit top 6 forward his first season and TIED the Calder winning player in point while playing 20 fewer games. RNH also scored a 0.5 PPG with a shoulder that required surgery. In 3 seasons without injury Kadri has one stretch of 44 games where he was a legit top 6 forward. RNH has been a legit top 6 forward for his 2 seasons in the league with 2 legit injuries. RNH is also 3 years younger, not the same age.

This is not even close to a comparable.

The ONLY flaw in this deal is RNH has not proven to be durable. The bridge deal I suggested would prove that. However, if the Oilers signed a $4 million bridge for 2 yrs. and RNH continues progress and stays healthy, the next deal he would have signed may need to be $7+ million. The Oilers are taking a risk that he will stay healthy and saving a few dollars if that's a winning bet

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/21/2013 : 14:54:19
I was thinking of these 2 players as a comparison as well. The difference between Kadri and RNH is Hopkins had a full season of success, but then got injured which tailed off his production to lower his ppg. Kadri had 1 48 game season where his stats were at RNH average, but 2 in which he could secure an NHL regular position. I do think RNH has greater value than Kadri at this point.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
nuxfan Posted - 09/21/2013 : 12:52:02
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Personally, I think this is a mistake. He has the PPG and the talent, I will give him that, but is currently on the IR and like Bean's has stated has only played 100 games thus far. With last year being an off year, due to injury, I would have waited to see if he bounced back first before going long with a contract. If he bounces back and hopefully fills out some, it could end up being great. Theres as much risk as benefit.

I'm not even sure that he has the stats to back this deal up. Personally, I see very little difference between RHN and Kadri - both have one good year so far in the NHL (RHN rookie year, Kadri last year), both are roughly the same age and maturity. Both have played roughly the same number of NHL games, and RNH has more points and a slightly better PPG than Kadri. Yet RNH hit the jackpot, and Kadri is on a sensible bridge deal.

I agree with Beans, a bridge deal at 4M per (higher than Kadri to reflect the potential and higher success) would have been the way to go. RNH might have potential out the wazoo, but the NHL is full of players with potential. So far outside of a great rookie year, the only thing he's proven is that he can injure his shoulder, repeatedly.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/20/2013 : 18:26:16
Personally, I think this is a mistake. He has the PPG and the talent, I will give him that, but is currently on the IR and like Bean's has stated has only played 100 games thus far. With last year being an off year, due to injury, I would have waited to see if he bounced back first before going long with a contract. If he bounces back and hopefully fills out some, it could end up being great. Theres as much risk as benefit.

Alex116 Posted - 09/20/2013 : 15:23:03
quote:
On a positive note, I love the consistancy of the deals the Oilers are signing with their elite players. Three of their 5 core players signed for $6 million. If they can do that with the other 2 (and sign a goalie for $4-$5 million), that's a recipe for successful cap management.

Spot on! That's what Vancouver has managed to do lately and it's help build a competetive team here. IF these guys find some success, when they're due for resigning, they might be more apt to dole out hometown discounts in the next set of contracts? Funny thing is, if they come close, but don't win a cup, it might actually be better! They'd prob be hungry, know they were close and agree to sign for less to "finish the job". However, if they win a cup, they might be more inclined to move on? Either way, Oilers and their fans win really. I'm sure winning a cup would be a nice consolation to losing one or two of these guys!
Beans15 Posted - 09/20/2013 : 10:21:45
I think this deal is incredibly rushed. The justification people were talking about yesterday is that RNH has as good or better PPG average in his first 2 seasons (around 0.75) than Hall, Eberle, and other players like Tavares, Seguin, et al had in their first two season. Unfortunately, those players first two seasons were close to 160 games where Hopkins has played 100ish games.

If there was a player that was a candidate for a bridge contract in Edmonton, this is the guy.

That said, I still think RNH is a stud and, if he stays healthy, will likely be the best of the 5 core players in Edmonton (Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Schultz). I would have rather seen a 2 yr $3-$4 million deal before committing to 7 years.

The Oilers have $120 million committed to three players over 6-7 years. Sure glad the owner is a billionaire!

On a positive note, I love the consistancy of the deals the Oilers are signing with their elite players. Three of their 5 core players signed for $6 million. If they can do that with the other 2 (and sign a goalie for $4-$5 million), that's a recipe for successful cap management.

n/a Posted - 09/20/2013 : 04:28:32
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

RNH has just signed a 7yr/42M deal with EDM. I have to wonder if it was too much too soon for him. I get that he's part of the "big 3" in EDM, but IMO he has proved less than either Eberle or Hall so far.

I don't think there was any need for EDM to rush into an extension for him, perhaps they should have waited to see what would happen this season....

It does seem a bit rushed, but . . . I think he also has the greatest potential. What was it that the new coach, Dallas Eakins, said as an old quote though . . . ah - "Kid, your potential is gonna cost me my job!". Classic one (he was offering it up as a joke, not commenting on any player obviously - but it's a poignant point for Eakins I think, knowing all the "potential" there is in the Edmonton lineup).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 09/19/2013 : 14:29:21
RNH has just signed a 7yr/42M deal with EDM. I have to wonder if it was too much too soon for him. I get that he's part of the "big 3" in EDM, but IMO he has proved less than either Eberle or Hall so far.

I don't think there was any need for EDM to rush into an extension for him, perhaps they should have waited to see what would happen this season....
Leafs81 Posted - 09/12/2013 : 15:32:58
Kadri's contract is perfect for both sides. Toronto gets to evaluate his contribution and Kadri can prove himself to the team and cash in a big contract after two seasons.

When you lock up a guy like Hodgson for 6 years you don't really know. Maybe the team will be laughing once Hodgson tears it up for the last 4 years of his contract. Or maybe Hodgson will get lazy, sit on his money and be a burden for the team. So it could turn good or bad for both parties.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/12/2013 : 12:29:28
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

I'm gonna go large and predict a 55-60 point season under the tutelage of one of the greatest passers in the game (Oates), the beneficiary of playing behind a great playmaker in Backstrom and playing on a team with one of the greatest goal scorers playing today in Ovechkin. How Oates worked with Ovechkin to help him refind his offensive game last year is how I justify an improvement of that degree for Grabo. I don't think Grabo peaked in Toronto, is wanting to prove the coaches in Toronto wrong and with the right coach teammates, opportunity, could be the right mix for a close to career year. Doesn't hurt that Washington's 2nd line is were players like Semin and Riberio found success.

Anything above 45 is success but I am hoping for a marked improvement.

So, knowing how excellent Adam oates was at passing/playmaking . . . and knowing that Grabovski is a shoot first, pass later guy . . . do you think Oates will teach him how to pass better?

Hmm, good luck with that!

That's exactly what I expect. Oates proved last year that an underperforming player can be taught how to succeed again. Granted Ovechkin has all the tools needed, but Grabovski I think, still hasn't reached his ceiling.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/12/2013 : 12:27:23
I don't know. Playing the waiting game just before camp always brings to mind the hard feeling that happen during arbitration hearings. Player or team always seem to come out of those situations a little sour. Then again Nonis should be happy Kadri and his agent didn't go the way of holding out during camp. Kadri needs camp. Going into the season with no camp Kadri would have taken a step backwards IMO. Glad he signed a bridge deal, now all he has to do is repeat and he should cash in next time, with little risk to Toronto should he not repeat.

n/a Posted - 09/12/2013 : 07:28:22
quote:

Kadri signs for 2 years at $2.9 million. Is this a deal or no deal and why did it take so long? Glad the drama is over, but I don't get this. Who caved to get to $2.9 for 2? Kadri or the team? I think this is his value all along and have to wonder, did Toronto not think that or was Kadri's camp pushing for more? If $2.9 would have stopped the drama months ago, this should have been done a long time before camp. Hate the chatter about a player like this not coming to camp without a contract.

Kadri's agent asked for the moon, and they signed for reality after Nonis - bless his GM heart - played hardball, used his leverage well, ignored all the media and fan outrage that Kadri wasn't signed yet and what the hell was this GM doing . . . and he signed Kadri to what amounts to a very fair, reasonable deal. And a deal that all those outraged fans are now very happy with.

I have to laugh a bit about your suppositions though . . . honestly, people like us I think forget that these GMS, and these agents - they are sharp people, at the top of the ladder in their respective careers. They definitely got there for a reason, and they (in general) know what they are doing.

Really like how Nonis (Leafs GM) played this.

n/a Posted - 09/12/2013 : 07:18:06
quote:

I'm gonna go large and predict a 55-60 point season under the tutelage of one of the greatest passers in the game (Oates), the beneficiary of playing behind a great playmaker in Backstrom and playing on a team with one of the greatest goal scorers playing today in Ovechkin. How Oates worked with Ovechkin to help him refind his offensive game last year is how I justify an improvement of that degree for Grabo. I don't think Grabo peaked in Toronto, is wanting to prove the coaches in Toronto wrong and with the right coach teammates, opportunity, could be the right mix for a close to career year. Doesn't hurt that Washington's 2nd line is were players like Semin and Riberio found success.

So, knowing how excellent Adam oates was at passing/playmaking . . . and knowing that Grabovski is a shoot first, pass later guy . . . do you think Oates will teach him how to pass better?

Hmm, good luck with that!

Alex116 Posted - 09/11/2013 : 21:40:02
Kadri caved and was after much more and for a longer term from what I heard. He really had no choice though but to sign or sit out and obviously sitting out wouldn't do anyone any good! He got pretty much the same as Subban did, so I'd call it a fair deal.

Hodgson's is a mild surprise I agree.
nuxfan Posted - 09/11/2013 : 16:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

2.9M per year, I believe. And they are calling it a 'bridge' contract meant to satisfy both the player and the team for a short term as they renegotiate. Sounds good to me, and gives a reasonable time-frame to evaluate Kadri's development.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.

Given the Kadri deal, I'm surprised by the Hodgson signing today. Hodgson is also coming off his EL deal, and only really blossomed last season with BUF when he had 34 pts in 48 games. Yet they've locked him in with a 6yr/25.5M deal, good for a 4.25M cap hit.

I'm a big fan of Hodgson, but I'm surprised he got so much so fast.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 09/11/2013 : 14:57:06
2.9M per year, I believe. And they are calling it a 'bridge' contract meant to satisfy both the player and the team for a short term as they renegotiate. Sounds good to me, and gives a reasonable time-frame to evaluate Kadri's development.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/11/2013 : 10:47:13
Kadri signs for 2 years at $2.9 million. Is this a deal or no deal and why did it take so long? Glad the drama is over, but I don't get this. Who caved to get to $2.9 for 2? Kadri or the team? I think this is his value all along and have to wonder, did Toronto not think that or was Kadri's camp pushing for more? If $2.9 would have stopped the drama months ago, this should have been done a long time before camp. Hate the chatter about a player like this not coming to camp without a contract.

Alex116 Posted - 08/27/2013 : 14:32:06
I'm not gonna lie. I hope he scores around 10, or 90. You see, i can only imagine the "i told you so's" that would come of these numbers from the likes of Slozo, Beans, Gipper, Duke, Joshua, etc.

A season around 50 pts will be ho hum.......
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/27/2013 : 13:33:30

n/a Posted - 08/27/2013 : 07:12:29
Goals For last season (shortened though it was):
Washington - 149
Toronto - 145

These teams are both top 5 offensive teams, and looking at this season, there is little to suggest that it will be any different. I would suggest that in terms of style of play, that there isn't a whole lot of difference either, really. Washington is also a team that tries to play a somewhat defensively responsible game, and they also have a lot of offensive talent, mostly spearheaded by Ovie and Backstrom.

Still, I think the coach of Washington, Adam Oates, will play a big role in Grabo's numbers . . . and I think it will be very, very tough for Grabovski to do any better than 45 points this season.

I know Beans is gonna pounce on that one!

Alex116 Posted - 08/26/2013 : 20:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

P.S...Joshua....just for fun, lets re-visit this point at next seasons end and add up Wsh`s top 6 forwards point totals vs Tor`s and see what the totals are like.......not predicting anything but i bet they will be real close...........if we remember

Here's a way to remember.....have a friendly wager on it.

I'm not an expert on Grabo by any means, nor his time in TO, but isn't it fair to say that he started a shortened season a little slow and his team mate, Kadri, started hot and stole his top 6 role? I don't care if 90% of his tenure in TO was top 6, bottom line was, he was playing in a role not suited to his style last year, no? Take that for what it's worth as until last season, most of you Leafers seemed to love this guy!!!
The Duke Posted - 08/26/2013 : 20:24:07
P.S...Joshua....just for fun, lets re-visit this point at next seasons end and add up Wsh`s top 6 forwards point totals vs Tor`s and see what the totals are like.......not predicting anything but i bet they will be real close...........if we remember
The Duke Posted - 08/26/2013 : 19:09:03
The Duke Posted - 08/26/2013 : 19:01:00
Joshua.....its amazing how you keep referring to Grab as a 3rd / 4th line player in Toronto......while judging his production and play as being a 3rd / 4th line player..

Do you know that Grab was a consistent 2nd line center in Toronto for approx.......90 % of his tenure there ???

Why do you keep basing his numbers on a stretch of 20 to 30 games where he fell out of the coaches trust ??.........you are using a very small sample size to come up with your reasoning, it doesn`t make any sense.

Grab will have the exact same role in Wash as was expected of him in Toronto over the last several seasons...........not this little stretch of hockey you keep referring to.

As for him moving onto a more offensive team....sure they are a bit more offensive than Toronto but not outrageous more offensive........last season Wsh`s top 6 forwards had 228 points between them.........Tor`s top 6 forwards scored 199 points between them...........total 29 point difference.

Of Wsh`s 228....49 was by Rebiero ( he is gone).......
Lupul only played 16 games ( with 18 points )......Tor`s 6th scorer only had 20 points ......with a healthy season by Lupul.....the leafs top 6 forwards would have easily scored 225 - 230 points...........SAME AS WASHINGTON...............

Wsh`s top 2 offensive D-men scored 48 points between them ( Green missed time though ).........Tor`s top 2 D-men scored 57

The only question here Joshua is ???.....can Grab ( who had 16 points last season in 48 games ) replace Mike Reb. who had 49 points ???.........guess time will tell

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/26/2013 : 08:09:12
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

quote:
So looks like it's official - Grabovski with the Capitals. Second line centre position his to lose, agreed.

It seems like a fit at first, but . . . I am not so sure that under Adam Oates, Grabovski will be any happier than under Carlyle. Oates, as one of the premier playmakers and "pass first" guys of his day will likely be cringing non-stop watching Grabo enter the zone on the rush . . . no one is questioning that Grabovski doesn't have skill - he certainly does - but there was never a shot that Grabovski didn't like, let's put it that way.

But we'll see. Will definitely mark Sat Nov 23rd on the calendar (nice that it's a Saturday too) for that first game against the Leafs . . . I am sure the crowd will give him a nice round of applause.

Will enjoy seeing him on his butt, now that he is not a Leafer anymore!

defending him will be quite simple.... give him a clear path into the offensive zone. when he crosses the blue line, stick one defenceman on him (which will force him to shoot) and then have the 2nd d-man go behind the net. have the goalie cover the top corners, and then when he shoots and misses high (like he always does), the 2nd defender will be there to pick up the rebound off the glass and at the same time knock Grabo on his butt. then take the puck and skate back up ice. thank you Grabo!

Although I agree with you on how to play him, in Washington he will have the advantage of better linemates, offensive zone faceoffs and the pressure will be off with the focus on the top line. He might be in line for a career year.

Better linemates? What's your guess for who his linemates are . . . then list their career years, and compare it to the career year Grabo had with Kulemin and MacArthur.

Offensive zone faceoffs? Grabo had plenty of them the year before last, and at the beginning of this last year. Didn't seem to help his waning productivity at all.

Pressure will be off? Anything like the pressure of playing behind the Kessel line, AND the red-hot kadri line? Anything like that kind of non-pressure?

Not to be down on everything Grabovski, but honestly, he was given every opportunity with Carlyle, who asked him to be defensively responsible, and he failed. If you think Oates - a fairly defensive-minded coach himself, IMHO - is going to let Grabo float like his Wilson years in Toronto, I think you are deluding yourself . . .

It'd be hard to have a year as bad as last season obviously, but I reckon his ppg might be well below his career average. Just a guess, seeing as how Washington should be a playoff team.

The point was what his responsibilities will be this year vs. his responsibilities last year where he was used defensively on the 3rd, sometimes 4th line. Instead of checking against the opposing teams best lines in the defensive zone, were his defensive stats excelled last year, he will be taking faceoffs in the offensive zone on the 2nd line of a more talented offensive team where his offensive stats will increase. I bet he see's an increase in pp time, as compared to last year and may even see some pp time with Ovechkin, which could really help increase his stats. Nobody is gonna compare that experience to his time in Toronto and there 3rd/4th line spare parts.

n/a Posted - 08/25/2013 : 18:59:47
quote:

quote:

quote:
So looks like it's official - Grabovski with the Capitals. Second line centre position his to lose, agreed.

It seems like a fit at first, but . . . I am not so sure that under Adam Oates, Grabovski will be any happier than under Carlyle. Oates, as one of the premier playmakers and "pass first" guys of his day will likely be cringing non-stop watching Grabo enter the zone on the rush . . . no one is questioning that Grabovski doesn't have skill - he certainly does - but there was never a shot that Grabovski didn't like, let's put it that way.

But we'll see. Will definitely mark Sat Nov 23rd on the calendar (nice that it's a Saturday too) for that first game against the Leafs . . . I am sure the crowd will give him a nice round of applause.

defending him will be quite simple.... give him a clear path into the offensive zone. when he crosses the blue line, stick one defenceman on him (which will force him to shoot) and then have the 2nd d-man go behind the net. have the goalie cover the top corners, and then when he shoots and misses high (like he always does), the 2nd defender will be there to pick up the rebound off the glass and at the same time knock Grabo on his butt. then take the puck and skate back up ice. thank you Grabo!

Although I agree with you on how to play him, in Washington he will have the advantage of better linemates, offensive zone faceoffs and the pressure will be off with the focus on the top line. He might be in line for a career year.

Better linemates? What's your guess for who his linemates are . . . then list their career years, and compare it to the career year Grabo had with Kulemin and MacArthur.

Offensive zone faceoffs? Grabo had plenty of them the year before last, and at the beginning of this last year. Didn't seem to help his waning productivity at all.

Pressure will be off? Anything like the pressure of playing behind the Kessel line, AND the red-hot kadri line? Anything like that kind of non-pressure?

Not to be down on everything Grabovski, but honestly, he was given every opportunity with Carlyle, who asked him to be defensively responsible, and he failed. If you think Oates - a fairly defensive-minded coach himself, IMHO - is going to let Grabo float like his Wilson years in Toronto, I think you are deluding yourself . . .

It'd be hard to have a year as bad as last season obviously, but I reckon his ppg might be well below his career average. Just a guess, seeing as how Washington should be a playoff team.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/24/2013 : 09:01:07
quote:

quote:

Alex116 Posted - 08/23/2013 : 14:08:05
Wash / Tor only meet twice, is that right? Seems strange it wouldn't be more actually?

So guys, what's it gonna be. Pts for Grabo in the 2 games? Goals? Or will it be overall Grabo performance under Oates eye? Maybe both?
n/a Posted - 08/23/2013 : 09:46:21
quote:

I think it's my year for the annual bet beating I take from Slozo every year.

Rest assured you will see a portion of the bet based on Grabovksi and a return to his pre-Carlyle offensive performance on a legit playoff team.

Another epic I told you so or I was completely wrong moment coming up!

Absolutely, Grabo has to be on our annual bet for sure, besides the usual Leafs and Oilers bets.

Now all we need is a big trade between the Oil and the Leafs and it'll be epic!

Beans15 Posted - 08/23/2013 : 06:43:08
I think it's my year for the annual bet beating I take from Slozo every year.

Rest assured you will see a portion of the bet based on Grabovksi and a return to his pre-Carlyle offensive performance on a legit playoff team.

Another epic I told you so or I was completely wrong moment coming up!

The_Gipper Posted - 08/23/2013 : 05:56:40
quote:

n/a Posted - 08/23/2013 : 05:34:51
quote:

according to TSN radio, Grabo is close to signing a contract with the Capitals. one has to assume the job as 2nd line center will be his to lose. but he'll get some competition from the likes of Laich, Johansson, and Perreault.

n/a Posted - 08/23/2013 : 05:20:56
quote:

Here is the news on the Kadri unsigned story. As an outsider I have to wonder how Toronto fans feel about this. $5 million to sign 2 of the better future players in the organization, which might be a choice down the road of 1 or the other.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23238414/nazem-kadri-says-cap-issues-not-his-job-reportedly-looking-for-home-run

Don't believe the hype from Toronto about cap space and having to fit Kadri and Franson both in that 5 mil window. There will be further . . . juggling. Not going to get into it, as every year we end up arguing about some team that NO WAY everyone thinks can fit under the cap because of this or that, they'll have to trade, etc . . . and then they fit under the cap. Leafs management I trust will do the same.

I don't begrudge Kadri and his agent trying to get a good contract, it's a negotiation process, and it might just take a while. We have a few more weeks before I start to even plan ahead on worrying about it!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/22/2013 : 17:44:24
I can only think its Toronto Sporting news, not the TSN reporting that. I havent a clue why they think he is in that class. He was considered of the like early, as a prospect, but likely not seen that way outside of Toronto's inner circle.

nuxfan Posted - 08/22/2013 : 16:21:15
quote:

Here is the news on the Kadri unsigned story. As an outsider I have to wonder how Toronto fans feel about this. $5 million to sign 2 of the better future players in the organization, which might be a choice down the road of 1 or the other.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23238414/nazem-kadri-says-cap-issues-not-his-job-reportedly-looking-for-home-run

If I were a TOR fan, I'd be wondering why Kadri thinks he deserves more than a 5M/2yr deal for his next deal. In his EL deal, he has 2 years of nothing, and 48 games of good production. 2.5M per year for 2 years gives him a chance to prove last season was no fluke, and then cash in later.

I was reading this article on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430156) and almost fell out of my chair laughing when I got to this:

quote:

By comparison, Carolina's Jeff Skinner, New York Islanders centre John Tavares and Edmonton's Taylor Hall landed big contracts out of their entry-level deals and Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog got one last week - a seven-year $39 million contract extension.

Is TSN seriously suggesting that Kadri should be a) lumped in with that group, or b) getting a second contract like the players in that group?
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/22/2013 : 14:01:34
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Douglas Murray signed a 1 year deal with the Montreal Canadiens at 1.5 million, good low risk high reward signing, brings some much needed size and physical presence to the habs blueline espcially with Emelin out of the line up untill December!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Excellent signing and a good replacement for the injured Emelin! I'd have guessed that Murray would have gotten 2+M on a 1 year deal. Good pickup for the Habs!

I agree. Was thinking Edmonton should have gone for this guy. The only downside to him is his speed, which was noticeably slower last year than in previous years. If he can refind his speed, he might become more valuable to the Canadians.

Alex116 Posted - 08/22/2013 : 13:40:40
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Douglas Murray signed a 1 year deal with the Montreal Canadiens at 1.5 million, good low risk high reward signing, brings some much needed size and physical presence to the habs blueline espcially with Emelin out of the line up untill December!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Excellent signing and a good replacement for the injured Emelin! I'd have guessed that Murray would have gotten 2+M on a 1 year deal. Good pickup for the Habs!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/22/2013 : 12:24:15

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page