Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Rental Players

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 02/23/2007 : 16:24:42
Given the Forsberg deal, and the many other rumored rental players available - for a hefty price, do you think the rental player market is getting out of hand?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bablaboushka Posted - 02/28/2007 : 17:30:16
You want to add a team to your "You've got to be kidding me, they got a Stanley Cup-run player?" list? How about Toronto picking up Perreault. Most ridiculous/pointless move ever. Way to go Fergie, you're just as smart as the other one.
Beans15 Posted - 02/28/2007 : 09:11:18
The idea of rental players is not a bad thing for hockey. It helps a team make a play-off push and the other team to help rebuild. I think it keeps the league balanced and competitive across the board long term with the tossing of 1st round picks to teams to rebuild with (ie, the Oilers with 3(maybe 4) 1st round picks this year.)

The problem is too many teams think they are buyers when they are clearly not. Look at the Islanders. They took Smyth who will help get them to the play-offs. But without and Oiler/Flame like streak in the play-offs, they will not get anywhere near the Cup. And Smyth may not be back in Edmonton next year, but I would bet my life he will not be an Islander either. If you were him would you go and play for the Islanders and maybe win a Cup, or go to a team like Anaheim, Nashville, SJS, Detroit and likely win a Cup?? He will come home or go to a contender. Unless NYI has plans to shop a lot in the FA market this summer.

And the Islanders are just one example of a team that should not be a buyer. Look at Pitt. They win also not come anywhere near the Cup, so what's the point? The could have achieved the same thing in the off season for a lot less.

The only teams this year that legitimately boosted their line up for a Cup run are Nashville, Buffalo, SJS, and Detroit (if Bertuzzi is health.) The rest of the buyers were a waste of time.
Canucks Man Posted - 02/28/2007 : 09:04:16
Smyth will be an Oiler next year, it wasnt cap reasons they just couldnt get him signed and lowe just didnt want to risk not getting anything for him, also what they got was pretty good.

CANUCKS RULE!!
Novie Posted - 02/28/2007 : 05:55:46
I don't mind it....just a way that owners and GM's mangle the idea of a hard salary cap. I thought moving the deadline back a few weeks would sort the problem out since more teams were still alive for the playoffs, but it didn't. 25 deals this year ties the record.

Everybody wants to be the NY Yankees....they just wait longer to do it.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
tctitans Posted - 02/27/2007 : 16:17:38
Smyth is gone. It's not a cap issue.
They tried to sign him to a long-term contract, but couldnt come up with
the right numbers that satisfied him.
Unfortunately, He's gone for good...
-oil-country- Posted - 02/27/2007 : 16:05:11
If you are saying the Oilers traded him for cap reasons i don't think that's true im pretty sure they had enough money but just weren't willing to pay it.
Myles06-07 Posted - 02/27/2007 : 16:00:39
Rental player= Ryan Smyth.
Have fun while you got his Islanders because he'll go back.
Its for cap reasons.
Guest4665 Posted - 02/27/2007 : 15:26:01
I love how buying and renting works. it helps the less successful teams get stronger for the future and lets the better players play in the playoffs where they should be playing and creates better exciting playoff hockey. The only thing i dont like is how it can bring big dissapointments to teams that give up lots and dont do anything in the playoffs or not even make it.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/25/2007 : 10:29:37
LOL ya thats true. The only thing the Leafs wil do is get an vetren player that can share some leadership with Sundin. A good pickup would be Martin Gelinas. He is affordable and is clutch during the playoffs. Roberts could be gotten to, but the Panthers GM wants a good young guy like Stajan or Steen and a conditional pick. Personally, I think Roberts is going to Ottawa.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Patchy Posted - 02/24/2007 : 20:33:04
no we know that we'll make the playoffs this year, that'll be taken care of, but firing JFJ doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Canucks Man Posted - 02/24/2007 : 19:50:57
Hey Patchy, The only moves the leafs are going to make is fireing JFJ for not making the playoffs 2 years in a row

CANUCKS RULE!!
Patchy Posted - 02/24/2007 : 19:46:55
i don't agree with it either, even if you're a team with a good shot at the cup, one player in exchange for many could totally ruin the chemistry between all others. I hope the leafs don't make a stupid move this year...

~~Go Leafs Go~~
tctitans Posted - 02/23/2007 : 21:00:03
I agree and I COMPLETELY HATE the rental concept. To me, it totally mocks the integrity of the NHL and devalues any sort of quality management. Heck, if you dont draft well, don't develop well, dont organize well, don't trade (hockey trade) well, then don't worry.... you cant rent a few guys for the playoff run,...

You know.... i'm really torn... I think I would be happy if the Canucks rented someone and won the cup, but it would, for me, still be a very hollow win. I want them to do it on their merits, and that includes managments ability to make real hockey moves.
willus3 Posted - 02/23/2007 : 17:51:04
It's ridiculous. i completely agree with Leigh that they should not be aloowed to return until the next trade deadline. That the players do it willingly baffles me. Sometimes it's done for their benefit (Bourque) but for the most part the player is being taken advantage of.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/23/2007 : 17:13:28
Ya it definatly is. Look at what Nashville gave up for Forsberg. They gave up a large chunk of their future for a better chance at the Cup.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
leigh Posted - 02/23/2007 : 16:34:20
I don't like the "Rental" concept. I'm sure that some deals are legit but most are preplanned and laced with bad intentions. I agree that UFA's or soon-to-be UFA's traded away should not be able to return to the original team until the next trade deadline.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page