Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 TSN Season Opening Power Rankings

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beans15 Posted - 09/30/2013 : 12:05:09
Although not everyone believes in the views of every prognosticator, TSN has arguably the best ranking system for NHL teams. Below is their season opening rankings:

Discuss.

1. Chicago
2. Pittsburgh
3. Los Angeles
4. Boston
5. St. Louis
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Washington
9. San. Jose
10. Montreal
11. Minnesota
12. Vancouver
13. Philadelphia
14. New York Rangers
15. Anaheim
16. Toronto
17. New York Islanders
18. Columbus
19. Dallas
20. New Jersey
21. Tampa Bay
22. Carolina
23. Winnipeg
24. Edmonton
25. Phoenix
26. Colorado
27. Nashville
28. Calgary
29. Buffalo
30. Florida

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 10/01/2013 : 21:46:16
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I knew you'd disagree with the Edmonton ranking . . . but to defend the Ottawa pick (as much as it pains me), I and many other experts (see what I did there?) do see them coming into their own as a team. I honestly think that they will contend with Boston, and on paper, they look like they might be slightly better than my Toronto team. Still, I put them in the second tier group (along with Toronto, Detroit, Montreal) below Boston.

I keep hearing about St. Louis and their defence, and . . . I still think everyone is enamoured with them from an outlier performance two years ago, when they had two exceptionally hot goaltenders. I agree with you there.

I do find though that coming off a half season . . . and with quite a few teams that are hard to predict . . . it's a tough year for prognostications. Especially difficult are the teams we expected to be bad, but that should have very solid goaltending - which can cover up a lot on a bad team . . .
Florida (with Thomas now, who looks to good)
NJ Devils (Brodeur AND Schneider)
Buffalo (Miller)
Winnipeg (Pavelec)
So I guess we'll see!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I don't think STL's performance 2 years ago was an outlier, it was a sign of things to come. They have quietly built one of the most complete teams in the NHL - solid goaltending, perhaps the most complete top-4 dman group, and a very tough and capable forward corps. They have been one of the toughest teams to play against over the last 2 seasons, hard hitting and tight defensively. I see them as an "LA-minor" - same toughness but lacking in pure forward skill. They will be a force in the west this year, I would not be surprised to see them top-3 in the conference.
Alex116 Posted - 10/01/2013 : 15:57:21
Well, since you guys are complaining about your teams, i'll complain about mine! Lol. I think Vancouver is low, but really not all that low. Habs I agree, a little high? Maybe just swap them and Van? Ottawa I thought immediately, too high, but then I think about it and Slozo could be right, they may just put a good run together if they get the solid goaltending they got at the start of last year! Still would say they're closer to 8 than 5.

St Louis's D is top notch. J. Bouwmeester is prob the best #3 in the league! I don't like the fact that their G's are a platoon of sorts, but either is capable of taking the job and running with it. Scoring has been their problem. What they need is Tarasenko, Schwartz, Bergland, etc to step up. One or two of these youngsters needs to make that next step and become a reliable point producer! If they get this needed scoring, watch out! They could be real good!
n/a Posted - 10/01/2013 : 10:35:17
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Slozo you misquoted me! Opinions are like butthole, everyone has one and they all stink!

The point of my post was drum up some fresh conversation. I don't agree with all of this and the rankings could be argued any which way. The pre season part is usually the hardest predictions and this TSN ranking improves substantially around the 3-4 week of the season once everything filters out.

I am surprised and how low Edmonton and Toronto are and how his St. Louis and Ottawa are. I'm not really surprised at the bottom 5 or top 5 (other than St.Louis)

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

I knew you'd disagree with the Edmonton ranking . . . but to defend the Ottawa pick (as much as it pains me), I and many other experts (see what I did there?) do see them coming into their own as a team. I honestly think that they will contend with Boston, and on paper, they look like they might be slightly better than my Toronto team. Still, I put them in the second tier group (along with Toronto, Detroit, Montreal) below Boston.

I keep hearing about St. Louis and their defence, and . . . I still think everyone is enamoured with them from an outlier performance two years ago, when they had two exceptionally hot goaltenders. I agree with you there.

I do find though that coming off a half season . . . and with quite a few teams that are hard to predict . . . it's a tough year for prognostications. Especially difficult are the teams we expected to be bad, but that should have very solid goaltending - which can cover up a lot on a bad team . . .
Florida (with Thomas now, who looks to good)
NJ Devils (Brodeur AND Schneider)
Buffalo (Miller)
Winnipeg (Pavelec)
So I guess we'll see!

Beans15 Posted - 10/01/2013 : 06:47:34
Slozo you misquoted me! Opinions are like butthole, everyone has one and they all stink!

The point of my post was drum up some fresh conversation. I don't agree with all of this and the rankings could be argued any which way. The pre season part is usually the hardest predictions and this TSN ranking improves substantially around the 3-4 week of the season once everything filters out.

I am surprised and how low Edmonton and Toronto are and how his St. Louis and Ottawa are. I'm not really surprised at the bottom 5 or top 5 (other than St.Louis)

n/a Posted - 10/01/2013 : 05:34:53
I would arguably say that any kind of consensus system - which TSN employs - is certainly NOT the best system at all, nor is it the most accurate.

Several things stick out to me here . . . Montreal is WAY too highly ranked, as is Philadelphia; Vancouver and the Ranger and certainly the Leafs are too low; and for some inexplicable reason, they have Buffalo below Calgary (?!?), Nashville in 27th (?!?), and Phoenix in 25th (?!?).

By contrast, as my hockey pool starting off point, I always get the SportsForecaster (Hockey News was another one I got in the past, they're OK) now, and they have been quite accurate in the past.

They have predicted Toronto finishing above Montreal and Detroit; Nashville finishing third in their new division; Phoenix winning their division (battling with LA essentially for that all year).

Now that I look at it closely though . . . hunh, they do agree with TSN on a number of points where I thought they were crazy. I guess I am the crazy one then, thinking Buffalo will be competetive; Vancouver is a playoff team; and the Rangers will be right up there too.

I guess we'll see!
What was it that Beans said . . . always made me chuckle . . . opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one?

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/30/2013 : 20:20:00
Rumour is Lundqvist is not adjusting to the new smaller pads well and it is expected his GAA and or Save % will not be Lundqvist quality. Of course that is just a rumor, but I have read it in multiple sources. The other reason is although Vigneaults style of coaching creates more offense, Torts style keeps games closer with shot blocking and defensive responsibility. Most of the reports I have read are indicating the Rangers may take a step backwards. Again this is rumor and speculation, but it probably goes into the rankings.
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

I would switch the Rangers with Montreal for sure.

Actually I would put the Rangers way above.

With Lundqvist, they got arguably the best goalie.

Girardi, Staal, McDonough and Del Zotto is a pretty solid top 4 on defense.

And you have Richards, Nash, Callahan, Stepan, Brassard and Hagelin to round up the top .

Pretty solid lineup all around if you ask me.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Leafs81 Posted - 09/30/2013 : 13:58:24
I would switch the Rangers with Montreal for sure.

Actually I would put the Rangers way above.

With Lundqvist, they got arguably the best goalie.

Girardi, Staal, McDonough and Del Zotto is a pretty solid top 4 on defense.

And you have Richards, Nash, Callahan, Stepan, Brassard and Hagelin to round up the top .

Pretty solid lineup all around if you ask me.
nuxfan Posted - 09/30/2013 : 12:52:47
I generally like the TSN power rankings as well, and find them useful. That being said, the current rankings are based on last season or projections from pre-season, so there is a lot of speculation built into them as of now.

From what I see here, at this point in the season, I would generally agree with the list. I'm mildly surprised that EDM is so far down the list given their offensive assets. I'm also mildly surprised that STL is so high up given their general reliance on the defensive game for success.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page