Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Who won the Moulson-Vanek trade ?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Go_Habs_Go Posted - 10/27/2013 : 18:49:25
The Islanders acquired the left wing from the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday night in exchange for left wing Matt Moulson, New York's first-round pick in 2014 and a 2015 second-round pick.

"Bon point Jacques!" - Benoît Brunet
32   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 11/01/2013 : 05:29:16
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Really? You don't think with Toronto already having trouble finding room for Gardiner and Franson they wouldn't consider strongly moving the highest paid player on the defense. I get what Phaneuf brings to the Leafs, but I am also aware of his shortcomings. Plus being on the final year of his contract, like Vanek, wouldn't he be the perfect guy to swap for another guy on the final year of his contract before UFA with a similar contract. I think it would have been a great swap. Most teams would love to have to true snipers, with the team they have now the might have become an offensive dynamo.

. . . then I guess you DON'T, in fact, get what Phaneuf brings to the Leafs.

Don't worry, most Leafs fans don't get it either. We are a fanbase that consistently underrates our goaltending and defence whenever they are at or near an elite level . . . and Phaneuf is a top 15 in the league guy, IMHO. He just doesn't get the credit he deserves.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/31/2013 : 07:58:42
Really? You don't think with Toronto already having trouble finding room for Gardiner and Franson they wouldn't consider strongly moving the highest paid player on the defense. I get what Phaneuf brings to the Leafs, but I am also aware of his shortcomings. Plus being on the final year of his contract, like Vanek, wouldn't he be the perfect guy to swap for another guy on the final year of his contract before UFA with a similar contract. I think it would have been a great swap. Most teams would love to have to true snipers, with the team they have now the might have become an offensive dynamo.
n/a Posted - 10/31/2013 : 07:46:31
quote:

I hadn't meant to bring Kessel into the trade discussion. Just pointed out that Toronto already had a winger with similar stats and a higher contract, so why wouldn't the Leafs be interested in Vanek. The players I named after that would be the trade bait, especially Phaneuf. I am certain Phaneuf would have been a new coaches wish list to make opposing teams stop laughing at the rebuild and to bolster the powerplay. Buffalo would absolutely love the veteran hammer to the head style of leadership Phaneuf brings to the game. Just pair him with a responsible stay at home and watch the bodies fly. Toronto fans I think would have absolutely love this trade on paper. The problem with this is I think Buffalo wants to bottom out for a few years while rebuilding for high draft picks and having Phaneuf doesn't guarantee that.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Kessel-------Kessel, anyone! Bueller! Why not? Hell it wouldn't even take much juggling and trading to figure it out. Phaneuf, Clarkson, Bozak etc etc. Anyone of those would have been good to great for trade pickups for Buffalo. I mean they signed in Toronto, so anyone would want to trade for there contract value, wouldn't they.

Kidding aside, why wouldn't Toronto make a significant move for this guy. This guy is a 2 time 40 goal scorer and definite game breaker which would have given the Leafs 2 of the most dynamic pair of wingers in the NHL with him and Kessel.

I can't see Buffalo having asked for Kessel? I could see it being Kadri though? Maybe Phaneuf due to also being on an expiring contract? Clarkson? Highly doubt Buffalo would be interested in that contract as part of a rebuild.

Funny part is, you say why wouldn't they be interested and i immediately think "they need a center" which has been the on going theme for quite some time. I know he's not big, something they seem to want, but Kadri seems to be shaping into a pretty good center, no? They've got Bolland playing great and when Bozak is back, he could slide into the 3rd spot? Do they really need another center?

I think most Toronto fans would have hated that trade, in fact . . . with no replacement for Phaneuf, you'd instantly make the team a lot worse; and you added another highly skilled winger who brings very little grit, but he's older, on the downside of his career, and makes our top 6 too crowded, I think. And he's a UFA at the end of the year, with no guarantee to re-sign . . . why ditch your top defenceman and captain at the beginning of a very promising season for a valuable yet unnecessary piece?

It would have mae zero sense.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/30/2013 : 19:50:40
I hadn't meant to bring Kessel into the trade discussion. Just pointed out that Toronto already had a winger with similar stats and a higher contract, so why wouldn't the Leafs be interested in Vanek. The players I named after that would be the trade bait, especially Phaneuf. I am certain Phaneuf would have been a new coaches wish list to make opposing teams stop laughing at the rebuild and to bolster the powerplay. Buffalo would absolutely love the veteran hammer to the head style of leadership Phaneuf brings to the game. Just pair him with a responsible stay at home and watch the bodies fly. Toronto fans I think would have absolutely love this trade on paper. The problem with this is I think Buffalo wants to bottom out for a few years while rebuilding for high draft picks and having Phaneuf doesn't guarantee that.

quote:

quote:

Kessel-------Kessel, anyone! Bueller! Why not? Hell it wouldn't even take much juggling and trading to figure it out. Phaneuf, Clarkson, Bozak etc etc. Anyone of those would have been good to great for trade pickups for Buffalo. I mean they signed in Toronto, so anyone would want to trade for there contract value, wouldn't they.

Kidding aside, why wouldn't Toronto make a significant move for this guy. This guy is a 2 time 40 goal scorer and definite game breaker which would have given the Leafs 2 of the most dynamic pair of wingers in the NHL with him and Kessel.

I can't see Buffalo having asked for Kessel? I could see it being Kadri though? Maybe Phaneuf due to also being on an expiring contract? Clarkson? Highly doubt Buffalo would be interested in that contract as part of a rebuild.

Funny part is, you say why wouldn't they be interested and i immediately think "they need a center" which has been the on going theme for quite some time. I know he's not big, something they seem to want, but Kadri seems to be shaping into a pretty good center, no? They've got Bolland playing great and when Bozak is back, he could slide into the 3rd spot? Do they really need another center?

Alex116 Posted - 10/30/2013 : 15:42:46
quote:

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/30/2013 : 14:15:59
quote:

They mentioned on TSN that Buffalo called TO and offered Vanek to the Leafs, something that Nonis apparently didn't think long about before saying "no thanks". Apparently they wanted a "significant roster player" and a pick however the cap implications apparently would have been difficult for Toronto to begin with, especially if they had a desire to re-sign him and keep him long term.

I wouldn't think TO would be in line for an expensive winger anyway, one with a 7+Million cap hit???

Alex116 Posted - 10/30/2013 : 07:32:54
They mentioned on TSN that Buffalo called TO and offered Vanek to the Leafs, something that Nonis apparently didn't think long about before saying "no thanks". Apparently they wanted a "significant roster player" and a pick however the cap implications apparently would have been difficult for Toronto to begin with, especially if they had a desire to re-sign him and keep him long term.

I wouldn't think TO would be in line for an expensive winger anyway, one with a 7+Million cap hit???

n/a Posted - 10/30/2013 : 07:25:26
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

some other details of the trade were reported on TSN today:

- BUF is still paying 20% of Vanek's salary (1.4M)
- NYI can choose to defer the first round pick to 2015, if the first rounder in 2014 is top 10.

Both of those tidbits restore some sanity to the NYI side of the equation. I still think that BUF wins, but its not as terribly lopsided as before.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise those facts, and it DOES temper the "landslide win" for the Sabres.

Still a win IMHO though.

nuxfan Posted - 10/29/2013 : 15:08:30
some other details of the trade were reported on TSN today:

- BUF is still paying 20% of Vanek's salary (1.4M)
- NYI can choose to defer the first round pick to 2015, if the first rounder in 2014 is top 10.

Both of those tidbits restore some sanity to the NYI side of the equation. I still think that BUF wins, but its not as terribly lopsided as before.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 10/29/2013 : 10:05:04
Or NYI could deal Vanek to a contender at the deadline for a greater return than they would have got for Moulson. Probably wouldn't make up for those draft picks, but you never know.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/29/2013 : 09:58:52
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Another crazy Islander trade . . .

I have no idea what goes on in the heads of the management team for the Islanders, but they must have been drinking. Why swap a coming UFA with another UFA that is a slight upgrade, while giving up a first rounder anda second?!? It makes no sense . . . if they had sent over a guy like Grabner with a 1st and a 2nd, even THAT I feel would have been an overpayment, but Moulson? It boggles the mind.

An absolute steal for Buffalo, and who knows, maybe they can re-sign Moulson and come out smelling like roses here! But even if they can't, they have a 1st and a 2nd for an expiring contract in a lost year . . . what's not to like? It's pure gravy!

Heard that Grabner is going to be used to sway his countryman Vanek over to the Islanders way of thinking and that's why it was Moulson not Grabner. Apparently they have history which Snow is hoping helps Vanek choose to stay
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/29/2013 : 09:52:27
I might be in the minority, but I think Vanek will sign an extension for the NYI. There has been quite a few players snagged by the Islanders on waivers, who refused to play for them only to sign an extension after being wooed by management. Vanek is playing with one of the most offensive young centers in Tavares and a good young core. Should the Islanders fight for a playoff spot I think this is a good fit for Vanek.

Buffalo wins this trade based on the statistical edge for both players for the last 5 years, the 1st and 2nd picks, but the Islanders got the best player. Here's hoping they keep him.
The Duke Posted - 10/29/2013 : 09:30:57
Buffalo wins this trade , no doubt .

This deal is a no win for the islanders unless they can re-sign vanek.....if they don't sign vanek, my god what a disaster for the islanders......snow should then be fired.
Alex116 Posted - 10/28/2013 : 21:47:56
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

The sabres could flip moulson for another 1st rounder+ at the deadline if they're out of it

"IF" they're out of it? Lol....

Biggest surprise I got out of this trade is Moulson's age. I thought he was 25, maybe 26? He's 30? Well, he turns 30 in a few days. Wow, i'd have never guessed. Didn't realize he started in the NHL as late as he did (age 25).
markliso Posted - 10/28/2013 : 20:49:31
based on the fact that they are both UFAs, I chose Buffalo as the winner of this trade.

But, I truly believe Vanek will do really well in NYI, a change of scenery and there is a lot of talent there. He's had a slow start this year (compared to the last two or three years) and I think he will really benefit playing with Tavares.

Moulson had a good night, in a losing effort, for his new team tonight. Maybe he's better than I thought when I thought he was just a great combo with Tavares.
sahis34 Posted - 10/28/2013 : 20:48:58
The sabres could flip moulson for another 1st rounder+ at the deadline if they're out of it
just1n Posted - 10/28/2013 : 18:31:28
No guarantees with Luongo signing after that trade tho. He probably regrets being so damn picky with the Panthers in the first place!

Moulson has two goals (so far) in his first game as a Sabre...
nuxfan Posted - 10/28/2013 : 17:42:22
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

Or maybe even Cody Hodgson!

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux

I would be surprised if that bridge had not been totally and completely burned to the ground...
@valanche Posted - 10/28/2013 : 17:32:22
pretty funny that both wear 26
with that early goal its like Vanek never left, same number and all

66 is > than 99
Shepsky Posted - 10/28/2013 : 16:58:03
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by just1n

It's a bit risky from the Isles standpoint I agree. Tough to give up Moulson. When the Canucks traded for Luongo, he was on the last year of his contract I believe, so... we all know how that one ended up ;)

The big difference there however, is that VAN management spoke to Luongo about a contract extension as part of the deal, and signed him to one very quickly after he was acquired. Which should be a standard operating procedure if you're dealing for a pending UFA.

The fact that NYI traded for Vanek without doing that, and gave up so much to get him, is a huge mistake IMO.

Apparently, BUF is now open for business... I wonder if VAN could swing a trade to get Ehrhoff back

Or maybe even Cody Hodgson!

-Mario Lemieux
nuxfan Posted - 10/28/2013 : 13:36:14
quote:
Originally posted by just1n

It's a bit risky from the Isles standpoint I agree. Tough to give up Moulson. When the Canucks traded for Luongo, he was on the last year of his contract I believe, so... we all know how that one ended up ;)

The big difference there however, is that VAN management spoke to Luongo about a contract extension as part of the deal, and signed him to one very quickly after he was acquired. Which should be a standard operating procedure if you're dealing for a pending UFA.

The fact that NYI traded for Vanek without doing that, and gave up so much to get him, is a huge mistake IMO.

Apparently, BUF is now open for business... I wonder if VAN could swing a trade to get Ehrhoff back
dgg1412 Posted - 10/28/2013 : 13:27:27
Sabers hands down. They already got great value out of Vanek and will be trading Moulson come the trade deadline. Way to jump start the rebuild. Add another pick or 2 and a prospect to the haul and it gets even better for the Sabers.
Leafs81 Posted - 10/28/2013 : 13:18:04
Garth Snow should have stayed a backup goalie.
just1n Posted - 10/28/2013 : 12:03:21

n/a Posted - 10/28/2013 : 09:45:31
Another crazy Islander trade . . .

I have no idea what goes on in the heads of the management team for the Islanders, but they must have been drinking. Why swap a coming UFA with another UFA that is a slight upgrade, while giving up a first rounder anda second?!? It makes no sense . . . if they had sent over a guy like Grabner with a 1st and a 2nd, even THAT I feel would have been an overpayment, but Moulson? It boggles the mind.

An absolute steal for Buffalo, and who knows, maybe they can re-sign Moulson and come out smelling like roses here! But even if they can't, they have a 1st and a 2nd for an expiring contract in a lost year . . . what's not to like? It's pure gravy!

Pasty7 Posted - 10/28/2013 : 07:30:27
Not to mention I have herd lots and lots of talk about Vanek owning a home in Minny and still being very close with Pomminville, add in that Heatly`s a UFA this year it frees up the cap space to replace heatly wth Vanek,

seems pretty clear that Vanek will be at least considering joining the Wild next year,

head scratcher for sure! I guess Snow thinks his Islanders are contenders this season, but even then yes Vanek is a better player than Moulson but a contender doesn;t give up a guy like Moulson,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Shepsky Posted - 10/28/2013 : 05:54:26
I don't think anyone could say nyi won this trade... This one blows mym mind, Moulson plus a first round pick is an over payment for Tomas Vanek with one year on his contract, but throw in a second round pick in 2015, and this becomes a swindling on Buffalo's part. They are going to be reaping the benefits of this trade for 2 years, while new York could be regretting it very quickly...

-Mario Lemieux
Alex116 Posted - 10/27/2013 : 23:42:37
Very well said statman! Moulson surely loves playing with Tavares and would likely have stayed there come next season (or sooner). Maybe not, but as you say, a better chance than I see in Vanek who's already been rumoured to be interested in going to play with his buddy Jason Pominville in Minny? How Minny can afford him after the deals for Parise and Suter, i'm not sure, but that's the rumour these days!!!

Let's say worst case scenario, both guys sign to new teams in the summer. NYI have nothing but whatever success they find this season to show for the deal. Buffalo has a 1st and a 2nd!

NYI better be praying that Vanek and Tavares click and that Vanek decides he likes playing there or this one could look ugly for them next summer. It's not like they're a top 4-5 contender this season where this will put them over the top???

I too am scratching my head at this one...........
Statman Posted - 10/27/2013 : 20:20:38
Add me to the list of guys that don't understand this deal from an Islanders point of view. Yes, Vanek's a great player but I feel they gave up an awful lot to get him, and for how long? They were both free agents, but I also think the Islanders had a better shot at resigning Moulson than they do now with Vanek. Bit of a head-scratcher.
nuxfan Posted - 10/27/2013 : 19:32:12
I also don't understand this from a NYI point of view. BUF got a great return for a player that they ultimately had little chance of hanging onto next summer. Even if they don't end up hanging onto Moulson (which is a possibility), they still get a first and second round draft pick out of it.

NYI on the other hand, have given up drafts for no guarantees. I read that they didn't discuss contract extensions with Vanek before the trade, so they're just hoping that he'll stay next year when he becomes a UFA.
Go_Habs_Go Posted - 10/27/2013 : 18:56:35
I personaly don't understand the islanders point of view. Giving 2 great picks with Moulson, and losing on the salary cap as well (only for this year but still). Tavares and Moulson were one of the most badass duos of the nhl..Anyways, only time shall confirm

Go_Habs_Go Posted - 10/27/2013 : 18:55:13
Vanek and Moulson are both set to become unrestricted free agents next July.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page