Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Oilers moves - Smid and Bryz

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nuxfan Posted - 11/08/2013 : 17:01:31
A couple of interesting moves for sure...

1. Moving Smid to CGY
2. Signing Bryz to a 1 year deal.

The Bryz move I can understand, so long as the cap hit is low. He has nowhere to go but up, and EDM clearly need a veteran to help Dubnyk.

But what about Smid? I always thought this guy was fairly reliable as a damn, he certainly seemed to play an aggressive and tough game. Why would EDM - a team that actually need defence - trade him away?
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/26/2013 : 13:37:05
Anybody wanna bet against Oilers going out for a win in Bryz 1st start against Nashville tomorrow. I have no clue why it has taken so long for the Oilers to put him in for a game, but the first playing time for the Oilers this year was good quality goaltending stopping 12-13 shots in a losing effort with the Oilers in front of him looking brutal. He kept the Oilers hopes up after a horrible 4 goal letdown by Dubnyk the other day. The last 2 goals you can understand Dubnyk letting in, but the team has no faith in front of Dubnyk. I say Bryz stands on his head for this one and the team finally gains confidence in front of him.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/22/2013 : 16:32:40
Best article I have read this year with regards to the Oilers woes and heavily slanted towards Colorado's successful season to this point.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9973203/the-colorado-avalanche-edmonton-oilers-rebuilds/
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/21/2013 : 17:39:34
I think what Duke was referring to was the last playoff series for Chicago were Bolland scored the winning goal. Clarkson I have no clue unless he remembers something from the last New Jersey SCF that I don't remember. What these guys do add is a winning experience and grit, so for that I agree with him, but the cost per year for these players was way to high for what they bring. I'd rather see Lowe and MacT lace it up if you wanted the experience on the ice. Plus I'd pay double to see either get run over!
nuxfan Posted - 11/18/2013 : 23:42:49
Clarkson is a "playoff performer"?. He has 14 points in 44 playoff games, including only 12 during their finals run a few years back. I would hardly call that "performing".

On the other hand, you have repeatedly labelled the Sedin's as "under performers" and "sisters that don't show up for the big games". Yet each of them has been far more productive, and consistent during the playoffs than Clarkson ever was. Do you actually read what you type before you click submit, or does your heavy bias against all Europeans (no matter what) just seem natural to you?

Holland, I definitely agree with you, he is the kind of player most teams would like to have.
Alex116 Posted - 11/18/2013 : 21:20:11
Duke, don't look now, but we're agreeing on something! I too believe the Oilers are somewhat one dimensional and should make a move. And, as I mentioned, i'd be ok with that move being Yak. Where we disagree is the return and/or the value of Yak vs B. Schenn today. Again, I think Schenn would be a good pickup for the Oilers, i just think that Yakupov would fetch more than that in a deal. Either way, no biggie, we're entitled to opinions.

I don't have a problem with the Bryz signing either. It's a low risk high reward kind of deal, not to mention the "colour" he'll bring to the dressing room and press conferences! Lol.

Bolland as a playoff guy, I get. Has done well, played a superb role for the Hawks esp against the Sedins and is an all around playoff type guy. Clarkson? I couldn't recall a lot of playoff success for him so I googled his stats. Not that impressive really. Actually his reg season numbers are better.
The Duke Posted - 11/18/2013 : 20:16:20
Sorry ..typo...I meant bolland and clarkson
The Duke Posted - 11/18/2013 : 20:13:37
Alex, it's not that these players you listed aren't panning ....it's the oilers one dimensional product. The team hasn't overall balance....a TEAM needs players who bring different aspects to the game.....when your big minute players all bring the same thing, it generally doesn't,t work.

That's why I mentioned b. schenn in a trade, he brings some of what the oilers need....much more so than what yak brings....they already have plenty of what yak brings.

Now I still don't agree with you on your point that yak. Is more valuable than b. schenn.....if I were gm.....no way I'd take yak. Over b. schenn......schenn would be on my team , if given a choice.

Watching the oilers right now just goes to show how important 2 way , gritty, defensive players are to a team....it takes a mixture of talents to win.

That's why as a leaf fan, I'm so glad they picked up players like holland and clarkson. They may not put up regular season big numbers, but....they are PLAYOFF performers.....they don't disappear...they EXCEL .....these are the type of players the oilers are missing.

I don't know why people are giving Craig Mac such grief over signing Bryz to a ONE year deal....he has NOTHING to lose ...he can only win....if Bryz screws up, who cares, next season he is gone.
Alex116 Posted - 11/18/2013 : 16:19:00
Joshua.....my apologies for making you sick. To be fair, i haven't watched a lot of Yakupov mostly because the Oilers aren't a fun team to watch at this point. I've seen him live once here in Vancouver and i've seen him on TV a couple times. Admittedly, my opinion of his game comes a lot from what i've heard, but also the hype, especially that of a former #1 pick.

I totally agree that the Oilers need to make a move or two and if i were an Oilers fan i'd have no problem with them moving Yakupov, however, they'd better not just give him away. Like him or not, he will in fact bring a very solid return. The Oilers haven't given this kid enough of a chance to become the player he has the potential to be and teams know this, includig the Oilers. If they figured he was a total bust like some around here do, they'd surely have dealt him by now!!!

I'm really shocked that a line of Hall, Eberle and RNH isn't performing much better than they have and along with Yakupov, wouldnt' be adverse to them dealing one of these guys in a blockbuster. Let's face it, they've gotta do something because soon this team isn't going to be considered a future powerhouse if some of these high picks don't start to pan out!!!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/18/2013 : 13:09:34
I understand bringing in a #1 goalie. Prior to Dubnyk going hot, he was stone cold. If you watch the Oilers regularly, hot and cold streaks are a part of life. 3 straight home games with no goals, 4th game they got 1 goal in a loss to San Jose. Watched it live from just behind the penalty box and I kept thinking, outside of Smyth who played a good game except for 1 key mistake in a goal against, the Oiler forwards are so small, disorganized and easy to push off the puck. I was looking at the size, skill and poise of the San Jose forwards totally opposite of the Oilers. I remember thinking one of these is not like the other. Marleau, Thorton and Colture played excellent and Hertl was a sparkplug all night. To his credit Dubnyk played well and only let in 1 weak goal early. I still applaud the pickup of Bryzgalov. If Dubnyk wants to be #1, he is gonna have to play stellar to keep it, because Bryz is a good to great goalie and is not here to backup Dubnyk.
@valanche Posted - 11/18/2013 : 11:20:27
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I am so sick of people talking about Nail Yakapov like he is this great player and worth a kings ransom. Fact, he has 6 points in 20 games and has a -14 rating and has not lived up to his potential. Each and every game I have watched he has had a couple of good offensive drives then forgets hockey is played in 3 zones of ice and as a result is very poor defensively. He is an undersized 1 trick pony, who is not living up to his potential and the Oilers have many players on there roster with similar offensive potential, who are also not playing a 100 foot game. Its time to unload him and bring in some defensive players with size and a winning attitude. Time to blow up the failed rebuild with any player not named Hall on the trade market, if it brings a decent player in return. Until proven othersize, this group is missing all of the ingredients needed to make a rebuild successful.

well said. i'm not even an oilers fan and its frustrating to watch. Their "big moves" have been unloading defense for prospects which makes no sense whatsoever and signing a goaile that is known for his strange behaviour and inconsistency.

They need to make some real moves but it seems like they don't have a partner to do so or the market just isn't there right now. the season is all but lost in edmonton.

However, this morning on the NHL network radio station I heard edmonton is talking with nashville about shea weber. the contract is the issue i believe. nashville could use an offensive talent like yakupov and they have the defense to let him roam free on the ice. I personally value weber much higher than yakupov so i'm not sure he alone would be enough but who knows could just be rumors.

66 is > than 99
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/18/2013 : 09:36:38
I am so sick of people talking about Nail Yakapov like he is this great player and worth a kings ransom. Fact, he has 6 points in 20 games and has a -14 rating and has not lived up to his potential. Each and every game I have watched he has had a couple of good offensive drives then forgets hockey is played in 3 zones of ice and as a result is very poor defensively. He is an undersized 1 trick pony, who is not living up to his potential and the Oilers have many players on there roster with similar offensive potential, who are also not playing a 100 foot game. Its time to unload him and bring in some defensive players with size and a winning attitude. Time to blow up the failed rebuild with any player not named Hall on the trade market, if it brings a decent player in return. Until proven othersize, this group is missing all of the ingredients needed to make a rebuild successful.
Alex116 Posted - 11/17/2013 : 13:07:30
Duke, I never said that the Oilers shouldn't get or have a guy like Schenn. I actually said he'd prob be a great player for them! The point I was making was i feel the return for Yakupov, struggling or not, wanting out or not, would be more than just Brayden Schenn. So, i guess i agree with you that they need more guys like Schenn with skill but also some size and grit. Perhaps now you understand what i was saying?

Now, as far as comparing Yakupov to " great Canadian players like stamkos , Thornton and steve . Y. ", it's really easy. Again, you must have missed the point. I was comparing a young skilled kid with offensive talent to 2 guys (Stamkos / Thornton) who both didn't find immediate offensive success in the NHL. Let's not forget that Yakupov's only played 68 NHL games to date, not even the equivalent of a full season.

The comparison to Yzerman was not to say i think he'll be as good or even close to Stevie Y. If you read the article, you may see that the point i'm making is that because a guy isn't great defensively 70 games into his career, doesn't mean he never will/can be! He'll prob NEVER be a great defensive player, but if his immense offensive talent comes through and he finds passable defensive play, he'll be a superstar in the league. NO WHERE, did i imply he'd be another Stevie Y!!!

The Duke Posted - 11/17/2013 : 09:51:31
You know Alex....it seems to me that the oilers already have several yakupov type players ...where as it got ton them ??....maybe it's time they bring in a Brayden Schenn type player ( good ole Canadian boy with skill and GRIT )....this is the type of player the oilers are lacking.....not another floating skilled guy

How can u compare nail . yak to great Canadian players like stamkos , Thornton and steve . Y. ??...are u kidding me ??...those players are leaders, not cry babies like Nail . Y

This is like saying the Sedins for example are the same type of players as Mike Richards and Johnathon Teows......yeah right
Alex116 Posted - 11/16/2013 : 12:59:14
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

If Yakupov were scoring at a PPG pace (as Yzerman did from game 1 in his NHL career), I don't think anyone would care about Yakupov's lack of defensive play...

Well, first off, I don't think that was the entire jist of the article. It was more about the fact that others have struggled at the defensive end and become very reliable two way players. Thornton and Stamkos are two great examples of guys who struggled early in their careers as well, only to become standout players. In Yakupov's case, is it fair to expect big offensive numbers when he's being benched or scratched for long periods of time on a team where pretty much everyone is struggling? Even their other supposed stars???

Secondly, it's not really fair to compare these era's where scoring is so much different. In Yzerman's rookie year, there were over 40 guys who had 80+ points and even another 10 or so who were PPG players (some only played 70ish games but had 77 points for example)! There were 12 guys who were 100pts or better!!! We're looking today at maybe 2 or 3 north of 100 and usually only 10-12 at PPG. I'm not arguing that Yakupov is even close to Yzerman's numbers offensively even given the era, but it is something to consider.

nuxfan Posted - 11/16/2013 : 06:25:18
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Here's a great read that explains Yakupov very well! If you have the time, please take a couple mins to read it, it's very good.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/11/14/dave-lozos-bag-skate-everything-youre-saying-about-nail-yakupov-is-absurd-so-please-stop/

If Yakupov were scoring at a PPG pace (as Yzerman did from game 1 in his NHL career), I don't think anyone would care about Yakupov's lack of defensive play...
Alex116 Posted - 11/15/2013 : 23:34:37
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

barkov, murray, landeskog, seguin, hedman, doughty, JVR, Staal, bobby ryan

I don't believe Brayden Schenn was drafted 2nd overall ...

in any case if i'm the oilers i'd be taking a straight one for one swap brayden for nail...

based solely on the fact that yakupov has no defensive awareness, accountability, loyalty to the franchise... i see him bolting south or to the khl as soon as he can so get something for him.

and to be completely honest brayden schenn could easily turn out to be the better player. To me it just seems yakupov doesn't understand the game past slapping the puck with his stick.

66 is > than 99

I was confusing Schenn with Ryan, my bad. BTW, rather than googling past drafts for the most recent #2 picks, you could have just googled Brayden Schenn and told me he went #5.

As far as the Yakupov deal, NO WAY Edmonton would consider B. Schenn for Yakupov IMO. There's too much untapped potential in Yakupov and many guys have had both slow starts to their careers and especially tough second seasons.

It's also not fair to say that Schenn could turn out to be the better player really. I mean, sure, he could, but anything can happen! No one can see that far into the future so they'd be crazy to base a trade on anything but the potential these kids are predicted to have.

Here's a great read that explains Yakupov very well! If you have the time, please take a couple mins to read it, it's very good.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/11/14/dave-lozos-bag-skate-everything-youre-saying-about-nail-yakupov-is-absurd-so-please-stop/

Lastly, i'm not saying the Oilers shouldn't trade Yaks, far from it. I just think the return should be more than Brayden Schenn, even though he'd prob be a great player for them.
@valanche Posted - 11/15/2013 : 14:43:10
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

What about the flyers send both schenns to the oilers for yakupov and another piece ??...now that would be a blockbuster.....both schenns for yakupov and Schultz .....fair deal ?....I'd like the oilers side

If you mean nick schultz maybe, if you mean justin schultz your on drugs

Personally I don't think you'd get Yakupov alone for the two Schenn's.
#1 overall picks just seem to hold a huge value, and even though Brayden Schenn was a 2nd overall pick, he doesn't seem to have the hype, warranted or not, that Yak's has got? Add to that Luke Schenn's questionable play and he becomes a throw in of sorts!

The JVR for Luke Schenn deal is looking like RIDICULOUS highway robbery by the Leafs right about now!!!

barkov, murray, landeskog, seguin, hedman, doughty, JVR, Staal, bobby ryan

I don't believe Brayden Schenn was drafted 2nd overall ...

in any case if i'm the oilers i'd be taking a straight one for one swap brayden for nail...

based solely on the fact that yakupov has no defensive awareness, accountability, loyalty to the franchise... i see him bolting south or to the khl as soon as he can so get something for him.

and to be completely honest brayden schenn could easily turn out to be the better player. To me it just seems yakupov doesn't understand the game past slapping the puck with his stick.

66 is > than 99
n/a Posted - 11/15/2013 : 09:24:22
Wrote Braydon, meant Luke.

Luke Schenn, the defencemane.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 11/15/2013 : 00:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

quote:

What about the flyers send both schenns to the oilers for yakupov and another piece ??...now that would be a blockbuster.....both schenns for yakupov and Schultz .....fair deal ?....I'd like the oilers side

Personally I don't think you'd get Yakupov alone for the two Schenn's.
#1 overall picks just seem to hold a huge value, and even though Brayden Schenn was a 2nd overall pick, he doesn't seem to have the hype, warranted or not, that Yak's has got? Add to that Luke Schenn's questionable play and he becomes a throw in of sorts!

The JVR for Luke Schenn deal is looking like RIDICULOUS highway robbery by the Leafs right about now!!!
sahis34 Posted - 11/14/2013 : 22:38:11
quote:

The Duke Posted - 11/14/2013 : 18:02:47
Alex116 Posted - 11/14/2013 : 17:16:57
Braydon is the forward, and he's been starting to play a bit better. Luke, the former Leaf, is the dman who's continued to struggle from everything i've heard/read?

I could see Del Zotto being moved. I mean, if the Rangers are involved at all with anything close to a "big" deal with Edmonton, i think it would take more than just Del Zotto who's not really lived up to expectations in the Big Apple as McDonagh, Staal and Girardi have become their top guys.

Simmonds "only if there's a sniper" makes some sense, if we're talking about a "blockbuster" type deal involving one of the high Edm draft picks? However, its gonna take more than just Wayne Simmonds to pry a guy like Yakupov out of Edm. In fact, Simmonds and Del Zotto would likely only be a starting point!
OILINONTARIO Posted - 11/14/2013 : 15:10:47
Braydon's a forward, is he not? Anyway, I hope some more moves are coming soon. Smid's position needs to be filled, and I don't really see Bryz carrying the Oil to the playoffs. Hoping desperately for a blockbuster in our favour.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
n/a Posted - 11/14/2013 : 07:14:00
The Smid deal is either a dumb move, or, it's a preliminary move before a bigger deal in the works.

I can't see Del Zotto being moved, really don't see that.

Braydon Schenn though . . . I COULD see that, despite the fact that it would break up the brother duo in the city of unbrotherly love. And it would be a great fit for Edmonton - they need a bigger, physical d-man. Simmonds isn't going anywhere unless Philly gets a skilled sniper back though . . . and that IS possible as well. Interesting rumours sounds plausible.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
The Duke Posted - 11/13/2013 : 22:10:38
One thing for sure, the oil can bring back some real talent ...WITH. SIZE. If they decide to move a couple of their young skilled players.....
Traveller Posted - 11/09/2013 : 05:21:24
There are lots of rumours floating around right now about Hemsky (and possibly Eberle but MacT has said that's ridiculous) to Philly for Simmonds and/or Schenn but I have also heard rumblings about a deal with The Rangers for Del Zotto (I even heard Lundquist's name thrown about but I think that's just speculation)
Alex116 Posted - 11/08/2013 : 20:49:08
I don't get it either? I thought Smid had been good for them, and as you say, they are in need of dmen right now!!! Very odd.

I have to think there's more coming. There's been a rumour of a Luke Schenn to Edm deal, however, Schenn has been struggling this season from all reports I've read. Then again, so is the entire Flyers team!

Still, you have to think that Edmonton's got more up their sleeve, or they're throwing in the towel already???

Beans??? Beans??? Been awfully quiet the past couple weeks? Any insight from the land of frozen tundra?

ETA.....This wreaks of a 3.5M salary dump (Smid) which likely means another deal is coming. The Oilers are said to have no interest in dealing Yakupov or Eberle (two guys who's names have been thrown about) and we have to assume RNH and Hall are more or less untouchable, so either they're dealing prospect(s) or they're lying! Lol. Klefbom may be a guy they could get some return for, but if they wanna make a huge splash, I think it's gonna take one of the big names.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page